Stockdale/Burge (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Laughable that there was mentioned somewhere on here that people thought Burge could go on and play in the Championship! :emoji_smile:

Delusional. He might go to a club and sit on the bench though.

cc84cov

Would love to see him signed pre season wages could be a problem tho not sure what he’s on etc but a local move would be ideal for him if wages could be sorted out etc

Nick

Administrator
Keep seeing people say Burge is on of the best in League 1, what's that actually based on?

Astute

Last week was a nice taste but now I'm convinced. We have to go all out for an experienced keeper in the summer. He doesn't have to make saves when he marshals his defence so well. No coincidence we look so much better as a whole with him. It's going to be depressing when Burge is back.
I got castigated each time I said the same previously. The saves Burge made were always highlighted. But some could never get their head around the fact of what a more vocal keeper does for a defence. My proper playing days are over. Bit old for it now although I still play a bit. But I still can organise a defence. A good keeper grabs or punches the ball whenever it comes close to him. He also leaves no gaps or opponent unmarked.

I always loved playing. I enjoyed making the saves. But I saw my best games as when I hardly made any saves when the ball was up my end a lot. But to some a keeper only has a good game when he makes saves.

SkyBlueCRJ

Its not dramatic at all. Wake up. Doing thr basics makes a huge difference wether u have alot to do or not

Burge didnt have much to do vs walsall when 1 up with 1 min or normal time left but he fucjed it

Lets not pretend basics is nothing important

I haven’t said the basics aren’t important. Nor have I said that Burge has been able to grasp them in his development. Making out he’s more or less a complete liability though is just factually wrong as he’s made some fantastic saves over the past two seasons that have saved us points and was a part of one of the best seasons this club has seen for decades.

Taking the sentimentality out of it though, it’s no secret that if we want to push forward Burge will need replacing. But every man and their dog saying we need to bring Stockdale in or someone as equally as good similarly needs a wake up call, as that’s far easier said than done given the competitiveness of the transfer market, budgetary restrictions and the amount of players MR is realistically going to have to bring in during the window.

sylus

Would like to see Stockdale in goal next week at Luton,i am pretty sure he will be tested more than the two games he has had for us so far,saying that,2 games played,4 scored,0 conceded,can't argue with that.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
First kick from Stockdale went straight out and in the second half after a decent take, Thomas was sprinting and would have been a one on one with a quick kick and Stockdale just held it, he did have a lot of players around him. He also spooned one off his chest but didn’t drop to an opposition player. If that were Burge, fans would have been all over him for it.
Keepers generally get better with age and Stockdale has a lot more experience because of that.

Fundamental difference is voice and conversation with defenders, the whole crowd heard him call for the cross that Willis was about to hit.

If Burge leaves then fine, we need to find another keeper, I’m not sure Stockdale would be the answer, would need to see more of him.

stevefloyd

I got castigated each time I said the same previously. The saves Burge made were always highlighted. But some could never get their head around the fact of what a more vocal keeper does for a defence. My proper playing days are over. Bit old for it now although I still play a bit. But I still can organise a defence. A good keeper grabs or punches the ball whenever it comes close to him. He also leaves no gaps or opponent unmarked.

I always loved playing. I enjoyed making the saves. But I saw my best games as when I hardly made any saves when the ball was up my end a lot. But to some a keeper only has a good game when he makes saves.
Stockdale has played 2 games for us and kept a clean sheet in both games now thats either coincidence or good organisation, either way I love it... I had trials when I was younger (a lot younger) to play for the town apparently I was a fair goalkeeper but chose to play out on the trials and never got picked...confucious says...know your limits, ...... after this waffle I am now going for a lay down because I haven't got a clue what point I am trying to make

NortonSkyBlue

Willis turned round and high fived Stockdale in the 2nd half, just for shouting at him to leave a low ball that he was coming to claim. Think that tells us all we need to know.
Yes you are right, we know that he shouted for him to leave it and they high fived. Whereas Burge against Gillingham....

larry_david

Took the gf yesterday, her second game. Her comment was, hey your goalkeeper is good.

And he was. They punted a few free kicks in and the defenders cleared the way as it was obvious he would deal with it. That take from the wide cross in the second half was quality. Kicking was great as well. It's a shame he's not in for Luton though.

As for burge, I'm a fan but this has been a real eye opener for me, and I imagine, all concerned

skyblue025

Are people really surprised Stockdale is better than Burge? There is a reason he is paid 10 times more. Unfortunately he is out of our price range and would still be even if we were promoted. Burge is what we can afford and does a decent job. Yes he makes the odd mistake but so does every other player.

Nick

Administrator
Willis turned round and high fived Stockdale in the 2nd half, just for shouting at him to leave a low ball that he was coming to claim. Think that tells us all we need to know.

Yeah, it is simple things like that

I heard Stockdale shouting for it from the other end of the ground which is why Willis moved out of the way. He was talking to the defenders all the way through, telling them man on or to run into space to get the ball back.

With a keeper stood silent on his line it puts Willis in a position to make a decision himself under pressure.

gspotgaz

it really is bizarre how quiet and timid burge is. You don’t need to be paid “40k a week” to be able to demonstrate basic communication techniques with your team.

Think it’s time for a change in summer on goalkeeping front. Stockdale has communicated with the defence more in his 2 appearances (instilling confidence and calmness) than burge has his entire career here

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
it really is bizarre how quiet and timid burge is. You don’t need to be paid “40k a week” to be able to demonstrate basic communication techniques with your team.

Think it’s time for a change in summer on goalkeeping front. Stockdale has communicated with the defence more in his 2 appearances (instilling confidence and calmness) than burge has his entire career here

It makes a massive difference, between him and Meyler they seem to have brought a bit of a calming influence. (Even though Meyler hasn't really played, you can still see him doing things when he is warming up at the side of the pitch and after the game).

They are both experienced but don't have the "go apeshit" approach and seem to be more constructive.

better days

It makes a massive difference, between him and Meyler they seem to have brought a bit of a calming influence. (Even though Meyler hasn't really played, you can still see him doing things when he is warming up at the side of the pitch and after the game).

They are both experienced but don't have the "go apeshit" approach and seem to be more constructive.
Spot on Nick
Mayler has improved the atmosphere at the training ground exponentially and is very supportive towards what is a pretty young squad

SkyBlueCRJ

Wouldn’t think it’d be ridiculous MR taking a look at Walsall’s keeper in the summer. He make a few quality saves yesterday and stopped it being an absolute rout. Only 23 as well and I think he only has a year left on his contract come June

Legia Sky Blue

Yeah, it is simple things like that

I heard Stockdale shouting for it from the other end of the ground which is why Willis moved out of the way. He was talking to the defenders all the way through, telling them man on or to run into space to get the ball back.

With a keeper stood silent on his line it puts Willis in a position to make a decision himself under pressure.

I agree. If Stockdale had been in goal for the Gillingham game I suspect Willis would have got a call to clear the ball that led to their penalty. To be fair to Burge he has been decent enough this season, but he certainly isn't a commanding presence in goal.

Mucca Mad Boys

I agree. If Stockdale had been in goal for the Gillingham game I suspect Willis would have got a call to clear the ball that led to their penalty. To be fair to Burge he has been decent enough this season, but he certainly isn't a commanding presence in goal.

Burge makes some really good reaction saves and is a cheaper version of Westwood. Another goalkeeper who would make amazing saves but his weakness was commanding his box, which probably stopped him making it as a Premiership GK. unless Burge sorts that side of his game out, he’s probably not capable of playing higher than L1.

Unfortunately, I never got to see Stockdale, I’m glad he did well for us. But, it’s two games, and he seems quite prone to a mistake himself as he tops the championships for mistakes leading to goals over the last 4 seasons. I get the impression his stint with us could be romanticised a bit because who knows how many mistakes he’d make over a full season. How many goals has Burge been directly responsible for this season? The only one that immediately springs to mind was the Walsall one — there’s probably more.

If we could get a someone of Stockdale’s calibre, I’m all for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread