Standing up at away games (1 Viewer)

rob9872

I know this is a bit of a topic that’s been done to death over the years, but is there any way that we can make people more considerate without killing the atmosphere? Almost a seating section within the seats?! Dad struggles to stand for the entire game, so doesn’t always travel now as with a bit of walking to car etc and then standing, it wipes him out for a day or two. I see no reason he or others should be forced to miss games because of simply ‘it’s away innit, so we stand’. Yes everyone does it, yes it helps the atmosphere, I don’t even mind all getting up when there is something exciting or a corner, but predominantly seated.

On Sunday at Bristol away, I said to Dad you’ll be fine as we have a standing section, assuming those who wanted to stand would go there and we were on row C so expected to be able to sit, but again not possible. I actually had a bad back so struggled a bit too and had hoped to sit. Dad’s pretty much said that if we can’t get front row now, he’s done and won’t be travelling which really disappoints me.

Is there something the club can do? Is there any way we could get word out that those on the left or right side of the stand accept that they’ll be seated for the majority of the time? I guess it doesn’t help with smaller grounds and that we always pretty much sell out our allocation everywhere.

rob9872

Tbf to the stewards they have a thankless task in the face of a bunch of drunks who not only tell them to pee off, but also seen as a badge of honour to remain standing or to begin a chorus of 'Stand up if you love City'.

The only way this works for kids, old folk, the afflicted and those who simply would prefer to sit is if we police ourselves, but I'll hold my breath on that happening.

Sky Blue Pete

Tbf to the stewards they have a thankless task in the face of a bunch of drunks who not only tell them to pee off, but also seen as a badge of honour to remain standing or to begin a chorus of 'Stand up if you love City'.

The only way this works for kids, old folk, the afflicted and those who simply would prefer to sit is if we police ourselves, but I'll hold my breath on that happening.
Yep wasn’t happening on Sunday . Did try

scottccfc

I took my lad to Wycombe and he couldn't see, my fault as we was standing quite close to the back, so I allowed him to stand on the seat, which the stewards came up and told us off for! I tried to explain its because he couldn't see with everyone standing, there reply was should of got there earlier and sat at the front .

Reactions: vow

rob9872

I took my lad to Wycombe and he couldn't see, my fault as we was standing quite close to the back, so I allowed him to stand on the seat, which the stewards came up and told us off for! I tried to explain its because he couldn't see with everyone standing, there reply was should of got there earlier and sat at the front .
That really would boil my piss and I'd have told them where to go. My daughter regularly stood on seats at my instruction for similar reasons. She's 12 now and can see at most, but wouldn't hesitate to tell her to stand on them if required. Cheeky tw@ telling you to get there earlier.

pastythegreat

This is the thing, if we could self police it, it would be fine, kids and disabled along the front 2 or 3 rows. But you'll always get somebody that will moan regardless. You dont get to choose your seats at away games, they just come out in chronological order. So let's say I get my 5 or 6 tickets online, they turn up and I'm sat on row A. So knowing I like to stand up I head for a gap big enough to fit the 5 of us in at the back. I'll only be stood there for a few mins until somebody then wants to complain I'm sat (no I'm stood mate) in their seat. So, after a few words and being grassed up to the stewards I return to my seats on row a, only to have words with somebody else because I'm stood up on the front row!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Joe

rob9872

This is the thing, if we could self police it, it would be fine, kids and disabled along the front 2 or 3 rows. But you'll always get somebody that will moan regardless. You dont get to choose your seats at away games, they just come out in chronological order. So let's say I get my 5 or 6 tickets online, they turn up and I'm sat on row A. So knowing I like to stand up I head for a gap big enough to fit the 5 of us in at the back. I'll only be stood there for a few mins until somebody then wants to complain I'm sat (no I'm stood mate) in their seat. So, after a few words and being grassed up to the stewards I return to my seats on row a, only to have words with somebody else because I'm stood up on the front row!

Totally agree and understand that. I generally prefer to stand myself if I'm honest, but it's the having no alternative that bothers me. I would have asked those in front to sit on Sunday, but there were about 10 lads on the front row crammed in behind their flag where there were only 5 seats available. No chance I was getting them to sit.

standupforcity

I'd suggest ticketed seating if it's a problem, and try reserving front couple of rows for those who want to sit. For me though I love standing...it's what I always did at HR.

pastythegreat

Totally agree and understand that. I generally prefer to stand myself if I'm honest, but it's the having no alternative that bothers me. I would have asked those in front to sit on Sunday, but there were about 10 lads on the front row crammed in behind their flag where there were only 5 seats available. No chance I was getting them to sit.
Been taking my lad since he was 3. His 1st away game was Tranmere when he was about 4 or 5. Hes been standing on seats at football stadiums for 8/9 years to see. Its second nature to him now.
I understand if disabled cant stand up, but there shouldn't be anyone able bodied under 45/50 that cant manage 90mins stood up.

I also think some people go to away games just waiting for somebody to stand in there seats so they can kick off. Or wait for the person in front to stand up so they can have a go.

Reactions: Joe

Warwickhunt

I'd suggest ticketed seating if it's a problem, and try reserving front couple of rows for those who want to sit. For me though I love standing...it's what I always did at HR.
trouble is majority want to sit but the minority few who dont care about the people behind forces everyone to stand

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Yeah or the 'we do what we want!' chant. We don't half have some nobheads, although it always feels like more as they are the most vocal. It is so simply fixed with the front few rows being reserved for those who want to sit or those who are unable to stand. Do we know if anyone has put this to the club? Happy to drop them an email and explain why if not. I think you are part of the L&W supporters club Rob? Might be something that could come from there too which will hold some weight.

rob9872

Good shout GMLK, hadn't really thought of them in that way, but definitely do have a voice and would be a good starting point. When I travel with them, they generally are quite well forward, but been driving to lots this year as it's an expensive day out with 4 of us if you add coach travel and then more beer/food etc.

NortonSkyBlue

Been taking my lad since he was 3. His 1st away game was Tranmere when he was about 4 or 5. Hes been standing on seats at football stadiums for 8/9 years to see. Its second nature to him now.
I understand if disabled cant stand up, but there shouldn't be anyone able bodied under 45/50 that cant manage 90mins stood up.

I also think some people go to away games just waiting for somebody to stand in there seats so they can kick off. Or wait for the person in front to stand up so they can have a go.

Are you for real? The name SEAT gives us a clue, sit the fuck down. Drive good fans away like Rob9872 father with your selfish attitude.
So somebody is in your seat and you are supposed be happy? Somebody is blocking your view from a seat you have paid for and you are the one to blame?
I am a tall guy and I think it is totally unfair to expect the person behind to look through me or around so I sit, it is called courtesy.

chiefdave

Presume other clubs must have the same issue. Appreciate not everyone who wants to sit is necessarily disabled but is there a disabled liaison or similar at the EFL who could be approached to see if an area could be kept clear for those who want to sit.

shmmeee

Totally agree. I found during the Sixfields season where I went away more than ever that my back won’t allow me to stand for 45 minutes on the spot. Dad can’t stand really and my daughter is short. The ability to move down the front would’ve been greatly appreciated.

chiefdave

Part of the problem here is every club has their own ticketing system and nobody can be bothered to properly set up away grounds so you just get a random ticket. If you could select your actual seat people who wanted to stand could self police and buy at the back of the block.

If stewards aren't going to enforce the ground regulations for the whole block maybe they need to be instructed to at least make sure they enforce them for the first few rows.

And if tickets are going to be randomly allocated and people told to sit anywhere by the stewards maybe should be changed to general admission.

Exit Stage Left

Really? So they tell your lad off for standing on a seat, but not the people standing up in front of him and blocking his view. I wish stewards would just show a bit of common sense at times and not worry about some kid standing on a seat to watch the game.

Liquid Gold

Are you for real? The name SEAT gives us a clue, sit the fuck down. Drive good fans away like Rob9872 father with your selfish attitude.
So somebody is in your seat and you are supposed be happy? Somebody is blocking your view from a seat you have paid for and you are the one to blame?
I am a tall guy and I think it is totally unfair to expect the person behind to look through me or around so I sit, it is called courtesy.
This attitude is part of the problem too. Can't we come up with something that works for people that want to stand and people that want to sit?

clint van damme

depressing thread really.
Apply a bit of common sense and everyone should be able to see the game whether sitting or standing.
Though lets not kid ourselves that this isn't a problem at every other club who regularly sell out on away days.

luwalla

yeah as others have said, with the amount of fans we have travel away, the stewards have no chance of getting them to sit. I tried again with my son this season buthe missed most of the match as just couldn't see for people standing.. even when he was standing on the seat. The stewards did give me and my son a few lame hand signals to to get off the seat but we didn't & I dont think they dare come up & ask us!

shame as it now prevents us going to away matches, just no point as my son doesn't get to actually see the footy. I did consider paying the extra and going in the hospitality a the away stadiums but I think it would be a bit crap having to try and hold in celebrations!

nunchuckas

It would be a lot easier for it to police itself if so many people weren't anal about sitting in their randomly allocated seat (I can understand for home games, but not away). If you want to stand up, go near the back or the middle behind the goal, If you want to sit, go to the front or the edges, the front is usually the emptiest bit with spare seats, even when it's sold out - presumably due to people all clamoring for the back middle sections to stand (more people fit when standing, although sometimes people do spill into the stairwells).

I was at Tranmere NYD, which was sold out, and actually sat in my seat for once (went into the ground early enough and it was actually a decent seat, lower down, and I wasn't having a day out drinking/singing etc. just wanted to watch the game and go home) but there were loads of empty seats around the front where people were sitting, because most people headed for the back for a sing song and to enjoy a bit of atmosphere.

As long as you go into the bowl bit of the ground at least 10 mins before kick off, then you will find space near where ever you want to be.

Last edited:

pastythegreat

This is what I'm saying. Self policing. Yet even with self policing, someone will find something to moan about. I like to stand so head to the back. If your it adamant you want your exact seats (that you didnt choose btw) then dont moan if I'm stood in front of you. I gave you the option of me standing towards the back but you wasnt happy with that either. YOUR JUST NOT HAPPY! Like I said, turning up already waiting to moan about standers or people in your seat

Last edited:

PurpleBin

Every club do it from the top to the bottom which is weird. I only stand because everyone else is. I am always aware of whose behind me though. If it's someone shorter, a child or an elderly person i'll make an effort to move along as much as I can.

We do have a massive amount of utter bellends who follow us like. I don't even mean lads on the bounce looking for a row...I mean lads, young and old with all this general fucking shoddy behaviour and attitude not only to locals but to our own as well. We aren't Millwall, never will be but some seem to thrive on the fact we have some sort of reputation....Issue is the rep isn't from having a set of lads who are up for a row more we have a rep for utter nobheads acting up through loutish behaviour. The Legion or whatever they call themselves thesedays...at least the ones I know are fairly quiet and don't want to attract attention to themselves....talking about genuine 'lads' and not wannabe 16 year olds on the charlie.

ccfc92

As much as some people will be selfish, i.e standing in front of someone sat down, there will also the person who insists on sitting in their designated seat.

Self policed sat down in first 5 or so rows for elderly and kids etc. Everyone else stands. Simples.

Joy Division

Maybe away ends at grounds should have signs on the seats of the first three rows similar to public transport with a 'please be prepared to give up this seat' etc for those less able etc.

It is a problem sometimes, I feel terrible when I'm standing when there's either kids or older folk directly behind me, I could sit but then I'd see fuck all.

PurpleBin

As much as some people will be selfish, i.e standing in front of someone sat down, there will also the person who insists on sitting in their designated seat.

Self policed sat down in first 5 or so rows for elderly and kids etc. Everyone else stands. Simples.

This would be good to see but there's too many nobheads.

rob9872

It would be a lot easier for it to police itself if so many people weren't anal about sitting in their randomly allocated seat (I can understand for home games, but not away). If you want to stand up, go near the back or the middle behind the goal, If you want to sit, go to the front or the edges, the front is usually the emptiest bit with spare seats, even when it's sold out - presumably due to people all clamoring for the back middle sections to stand (more people fit when standing, although sometimes people do spill into the stairwells).

I was at Tranmere NYD, which was sold out, and actually sat in my seat for once (went into the ground early enough and it was actually a decent seat, lower down, and I wasn't having a day out drinking/singing etc. just wanted to watch the game and go home) but there were loads of empty seats around the front where people were sitting, because most people headed for the back for a sing song and to enjoy a bit of atmosphere.

As long as you go into the bowl bit of the ground at least 10 mins before kick off, then you will find space near where ever you want to be.
Perhaps we're just too gracious for the thought of others. We arrived at Tranmere in plenty of time and headed for the seats we were allocated. Rather than be moved out for being in someone's way we waited and then saw where the empty spaces were and as you said a few extra rows they opened up at the front that had been covered and we sat in there instead for the second half. Perhaps just like those who head for the back we should head for the front if my daughter or dad is with us and ignore that we might be in someone elses place, but as I said we normally look for a space after kick-off before moving to it.

PurpleBin

Perhaps we're just too gracious for the thought of others. We arrived at Tranmere in plenty of time and headed for the seats we were allocated. Rather than be moved out for being in someone's way we waited and then saw where the empty spaces were and as you said a few extra rows they opened up at the front that had been covered and we sat in there instead for the second half. Perhaps just like those who head for the back we should head for the front if my daughter or dad is with us and ignore that we might be in someone elses place, but as I said we normally look for a space after kick-off before moving to it.

It's a merry go round when you do that though as you'll inevitably be in someone elses seat.

Unreserved is probably better over all.

Sky Blue Pete

Wow gosh

vow

Hahaha, made me chuckle that, cast that fishing line further next time!

Users who are viewing this thread