Squad trimming (1 Viewer)

better days

I suspect this will be a season like no other
Lower level clubs have had to let so many players go they will be short of numbers so will need to look for loans to put a squad together
Especially if the parent club pays part of the loanees' wages
Knowing MR he will give everyone a chance preseason and in training Then allow his staff to get on the phone to find loans for the guys he feels he won't need in the first half of the season

cc84cov

I suspect this will be a season like no other
Lower level clubs have had to let so many players go they will be short of numbers so will need to look for loans to put a squad together
Especially if the parent club pays part of the loanees' wages
Knowing MR he will give everyone a chance preseason and in training Then allow his staff to get on the phone to find loans for the guys he feels he won't need in the first half of the season
I see 2 loans coming in from the prem minimum

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I thought we signed him from conference level, seems it was L2, point stands, still barely played for 3 seasons though, needs confidence in his body.

Technically we did because he'd just got relegated from L2.

better days

Technically we did because he'd just got relegated from L2.
I think it was the following year they went down SBD
He came here on loan while they were in L2 and he signed at the end of the season
Daggers had John Still the Pound Shop version of Russell Slade as their manager at the time
Jones has only ever played league football up to now

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Jones has barely played above conference level? He's got over 100 appearances in the Football League, almost half of those in League One.

Most of those L1 appearances were in our horror season when we got relegated and he featured twice as often from the bench as starting so that puts a question mark over his ability at that level let alone this one. Plus in those appearances he's scored a grand total of 2 goals.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about in how different players are perceived. Jones is young and unlucky with injuries and should be given time to develop. Ponticelli should've made the breakthrough despite being a year younger and also suffering long injuries. Yet when you point this out it's "amazing how much better he gets not playing". The same could easily be said of Jones - he's exciting to watch but he was hardly effective in his first season (often lost the ball on a run and when he didn't failed to produce the killer cross/pass/finish). He started the L2 season well before his unfortunate injury and hasn't really played since. But some people seem to have him as some sort of Messi-esque figure.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think it was the following year they went down SBD
He came here on loan while they were in L2 and he signed at the end of the season
Daggers had John Still the Pound Shop version of Russell Slade as their manager at the time
Jones has only ever played league football up to now

We signed Jodi on loan in March 2016. He'd played quite regularly for Dagenham that season.

2015-16 season Dagenham finished 23rd.

skyblueelephant76

Most of those L1 appearances were in our horror season when we got relegated and he featured twice as often from the bench as starting so that puts a question mark over his ability at that level let alone this one. Plus in those appearances he's scored a grand total of 2 goals.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about in how different players are perceived. Jones is young and unlucky with injuries and should be given time to develop. Ponticelli should've made the breakthrough despite being a year younger and also suffering long injuries. Yet when you point this out it's "amazing how much better he gets not playing". The same could easily be said of Jones - he's exciting to watch but he was hardly effective in his first season (often lost the ball on a run and when he didn't failed to produce the killer cross/pass/finish). He started the L2 season well before his unfortunate injury and hasn't really played since. But some people seem to have him as some sort of Messi-esque figure.
I was correcting a post that said he'd hardly played above conference level, I didn't imply anything about how good he was.

Jones was 18/19 in his first full season in League One at a time we had one of our worst ever teams with numerous managers. He started League Two on fire and clubs much higher up the chain were looking at him. After the injuries no one knows how good he is now but he'll get his chance in pre-season and we'll see how it goes.

cc84cov

I was correcting a post that said he'd hardly played above conference level, I didn't imply anything about how good he was.

Jones was 18/19 in his first full season in League One at a time we had one of our worst ever teams with numerous managers. He started League Two on fire and clubs much higher up the chain were looking at him. After the injuries no one knows how good he is now but he'll get his chance in pre-season and we'll see how it goes.
He wouldn’t be here if he didn’t get injured I’m sure I read Leeds wanted him also at the time.

jto123

Hasn't happened yet but our squad is pretty big and will get bigger as we scour for more signings to adapt to championship so inevitable there will be exits. Some perm, some loan. Who goes? (in this thread) you decide.

Big questions over Kasta - didn't get a sniff last season after Rotherham away and barely made the under 23s by the end but he's back in pre season training. Physically, powerful and quite possibly more suited to championship football, paper evidence says he should be moved on having burnt bridges with Robins but there's a nagging thought in my head he was put away last year with a view for development. It's a ridiculous notion but it's still there... Will know more vs rangers I guess if he makes the squad or not.

Westbrooke - great start last season with impressive passing, assist and goal stats but rumours flying around he's being told he can go. Not exactly a spring chicken and with hot competition in his position for me, if can be moved on with well wishes for his contributions.

Jobello - still recovering and a key player before injury, we changed the way we played after his injury. I think there's a role for him here as a shape plan B. Fitness depending of course and we know with Max and JJ it may well take til Dec to see him fully fit.

Max - keep as squad player. Deserves the chance to prove himself and last season he did exceedingly well considering his age, injury and previous non league status.

Baka - MR fancies him, sti young enough to improve and impose himself. I do feel one of max/baka will go though.

Mason - enigma. Given a big new deal start of last season after impressing and possibly our best player first 10 games. Can improve but will always be restricted by his height. Will stay but assume new lb will come in.

Pask - insider better days says he'll be a prem player one day, great physique and unlucky with a shocker of an injury in pre season. May well be loaned out but I have high hopes for him.

Drysdale - signed a new long deal a few weeks ago. For me now a loan to league 1/2 until Xmas should be the plan. Future.

Jordan Thompson - rated similar to Willis a few seasons ago, seems to have fallen down the pecking order. Imagine will be moved on.

Williams - another with high hopes. Same with DD, loan at league level needed.

Jordan Young - could well be a diamond in the rough. Already has league 1 experience and flying under the radar a little. Was sent out on loan last season but pretty sure coronavirus hit before he even got a game in. Loan again this season.

Bremang - forgotten and didn't get the goals for Leamington on loan. Not sure where he goes from here.

Any fringe players I've forgotten? Can you tell I'm bored!

Bit harsh saying Westbrooke is no spring chicken at 23 haha. One of Max or Baka are going to have to go. I think we would have to get rid of a defender and a midfielder on top of that. The quality we lose/money we gain I imagine will also determine any other transfers we make.

Marty

Bit harsh saying Westbrooke is no spring chicken at 23 haha. One of Max or Baka are going to have to go. I think we would have to get rid of a defender and a midfielder on top of that. The quality we lose/money we gain I imagine will also determine any other transfers we make.

I'm really not sure why we triggered an extension on Baka's contract, I think we'll be lucky to get 100k for him.

Mucca Mad Boys

I'm really not sure why we triggered an extension on Baka's contract, I think we'll be lucky to get 100k for him.

It’s clear to see Robins sees something in him. At times, he does look like a good player, equally, he’s anonymous at times too. It’s probably his last season to prove his worth to MR.

I can’t see him being higher than 3rd in the pecking order this season for the start of next season. As for Biamou, I suspect he’d be the more likely candidate to be could offloaded.

Grendel

I genuinely wasn't aware he had played so much.

He’s been used as a late sub a lot he’s started less than 50 games

ccfcway

It’s clear to see Robins sees something in him. At times, he does look like a good player, equally, he’s anonymous at times too. It’s probably his last season to prove his worth to MR.

I can’t see him being higher than 3rd in the pecking order this season for the start of next season. As for Biamou, I suspect he’d be the more likely candidate to be could offloaded.

3rd ?,hes already 3rd behind godden and biamou. he could be 5th by the time recruitment finishes

ms639

Quite a bit of deadwood IMO. Simply wont make the grade in the championship. Sadly Max despite being a fans favourite has to go. Not the level we need.

Hoping kastaneer and jobello are like new signings for us.

Westbrook one a little strange, relatively young, has a lot of promise I think.

Mason surely just cover, we need to see more from him really.

Very keen to see Jones play, know someone who is a scout at Oxford United, said that before his injury, Jones widely regarded as the best in L1, had all but signed for leeds - hoping for big things, but such an unknown after the last few years.

Definitely need another ST. I don’t think we have the talisman we need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccfc1234

Westbrook would be the obvious one if we could get a few pounds in for him. Possibily sell Wilson and look for a better back up keeper.

Pressure in terms of outgoings could be influenced by what happens to Wilson this summer and Maddison if his sell on clause has us down as a 3rd party beneficiary.

Frostie

a lot of free transfer GK's this summer, whos paying for a league one reserve keeper ?

Indeed, and why would we pay out to replace him when, barring injury, he'll almost never play? Not the cleverest use of our budget.
If Marosi picks up an injury we'd almost certainly loan a goalkeeper in.

SBAndy

Bit harsh on him imo. Came into a floundering L1 team at a very young age and in L2 he was a stand-out performer. Hat trick on the opening day spoke volumes. He may well be struggling after 2 years out but he may well have progressed. Conversely, Ponticelli has only stood out at U23 level and whilst its not cut and dried that he’s not going to make it, you have to think of the levels we’ve progressed in the time that he’s not been playing. He has a very limited pedigree.

He wouldn’t be here if he didn’t get injured I’m sure I read Leeds wanted him also at the time.

Was told by a friend (who was well ITK at the time) that the move to Leeds was all but done when he got injured.

cc84cov

Bit harsh on him imo. Came into a floundering L1 team at a very young age and in L2 he was a stand-out performer. Hat trick on the opening day spoke volumes. He may well be struggling after 2 years out but he may well have progressed. Conversely, Ponticelli has only stood out at U23 level and whilst its not cut and dried that he’s not going to make it, you have to think of the levels we’ve progressed in the time that he’s not been playing. He has a very limited pedigree.

Was told by a friend (who was well ITK at the time) that the move to Leeds was all but done when he got injured.
Heard the exact same mate

stupot07

Westbrooke - great start last season with impressive passing, assist and goal stats but rumours flying around he's being told he can go. Not exactly a spring chicken and with hot competition in his position for me, if can be moved on with well wishes for his contributions.

Not exactly a spring chicken? The lad is 23 not 33, and a year younger than Baka who you said is young enough to keep improving

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Think i would keep Biamou over Baka If it's solely about being super sub role. max is the sort to score a big goal when it matters it feels like

CanadianCCFC

I think if we can afford it I’d end with a squad of two in every position as well as formation options for both the box and wingers and one or two upfront, so I’d go something like:

GK: Marosi/Wilson
RB: Dabo/Dacosta
LB: NEW/Mason
CB: NEW/McFadz
CB: Rose/Pask
CB: Hyam/Williams
DM: NEW/Kelly
DM: Hamer/Eccles
AM: Hilßner/Shipley
AM: O’Hare/Allen
W: Jones
W: Jobello
ST: NEW/Godden/Max/Baka

Then prune anyone left over. So Westbrooke, Kasta,Ponti from the first team. I’d also send Thompson and/or Drysdale out on loan, somethings got to give in U23 midfield a couple of loans there, maybe let Bremang go as we could potentially have three first team strikers missing out.

So that’s 26 + kids. 4 more signings. Seems feasible.
2 at each position, exactly what I do on FM

Saddlebrains

I know there's no such thing as an ideal world, but if there was id be looking at something like the below.

Loan out

Drysdale
Eccles
Jodi Jones (purely for fitness reasons see if his knee isn't jelly)
Williams

Bin off and ideally get a fee even if 10k

Max (people will probably complain)
Kastaneer
Ponti
Wilson
Thompson

Feel we then need back up GK, CB LWB, CDM, 2x ST

better days

How much was he going for?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Over £2M upfront plus milestone payments and % of any sell on fee
I understand it was only the clubs who were talking
The lad himself hadn't met up with Leeds

Magwitch

Indeed, and why would we pay out to replace him when, barring injury, he'll almost never play? Not the cleverest use of our budget.
If Marosi picks up an injury we'd almost certainly loan a goalkeeper in.
How do you know that when have you seen him play ? Goalkeeper is the tough position, number one tends to stay number one and play all the time rarely does a number two take over unless through injury. Signing a provern goalie to be on the bench would a costly business. We could perhaps employ an old head as goalkeeper coach but again expensive. I’ve seen some put Stockdale on their recruitment list he would cost £20k a week and doubt he’d come as a number two and Marosi would want the same if not more wage wise.

Frostie

How do you know that when have you seen him play ? Goalkeeper is the tough position, number one tends to stay number one and play all the time rarely does a number two take over unless through injury. Signing a provern goalie to be on the bench would a costly business. We could perhaps employ an old head as goalkeeper coach but again expensive. I’ve seen some put Stockdale on their recruitment list he would cost £20k a week and doubt he’d come as a number two and Marosi would want the same if not more wage wise.

You've just quoted me with questions then agreed with everything I said? :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread