Squad trimming (1 Viewer)

larry_david

Hasn't happened yet but our squad is pretty big and will get bigger as we scour for more signings to adapt to championship so inevitable there will be exits. Some perm, some loan. Who goes? (in this thread) you decide.

Big questions over Kasta - didn't get a sniff last season after Rotherham away and barely made the under 23s by the end but he's back in pre season training. Physically, powerful and quite possibly more suited to championship football, paper evidence says he should be moved on having burnt bridges with Robins but there's a nagging thought in my head he was put away last year with a view for development. It's a ridiculous notion but it's still there... Will know more vs rangers I guess if he makes the squad or not.

Westbrooke - great start last season with impressive passing, assist and goal stats but rumours flying around he's being told he can go. Not exactly a spring chicken and with hot competition in his position for me, if can be moved on with well wishes for his contributions.

Jobello - still recovering and a key player before injury, we changed the way we played after his injury. I think there's a role for him here as a shape plan B. Fitness depending of course and we know with Max and JJ it may well take til Dec to see him fully fit.

Max - keep as squad player. Deserves the chance to prove himself and last season he did exceedingly well considering his age, injury and previous non league status.

Baka - MR fancies him, sti young enough to improve and impose himself. I do feel one of max/baka will go though.

Mason - enigma. Given a big new deal start of last season after impressing and possibly our best player first 10 games. Can improve but will always be restricted by his height. Will stay but assume new lb will come in.

Pask - insider better days says he'll be a prem player one day, great physique and unlucky with a shocker of an injury in pre season. May well be loaned out but I have high hopes for him.

Drysdale - signed a new long deal a few weeks ago. For me now a loan to league 1/2 until Xmas should be the plan. Future.

Jordan Thompson - rated similar to Willis a few seasons ago, seems to have fallen down the pecking order. Imagine will be moved on.

Williams - another with high hopes. Same with DD, loan at league level needed.

Jordan Young - could well be a diamond in the rough. Already has league 1 experience and flying under the radar a little. Was sent out on loan last season but pretty sure coronavirus hit before he even got a game in. Loan again this season.

Bremang - forgotten and didn't get the goals for Leamington on loan. Not sure where he goes from here.

Any fringe players I've forgotten? Can you tell I'm bored!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If an offer came in for Ponti reckon we'd take it. Would like him to have a sustained run without injury to show his goalscoring ability. Will probably be sent out on loan.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Jones as well. With the system we now play he's got a fair few players ahead of him but I think will be given a chance at some stage, esp off bench. Big year for him after injuries and has never played at this level so very much an unknown quantity. Could tear defences apart of be totally ineffectual.

Tommo1993

Flog Kastaneer and Jobello. Ponticelli too, he’d have made it by now if he was ever going to.

Magwitch

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was transferred out Westbrooke being a possibility he hasn’t signed a contract yet and into his last year contract wise and I think we could get a fee then there’s Rose no smoke without fire and if there’s an interest from Leeds now armed with premiership cash i hope not but it could be difficult to turn down a big bid. Still 50/50 on Kasteneer so would give him another twelve months maybe a loan out nothing to lose really

Magwitch

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was transferred out Westbrooke being a possibility he hasn’t signed a contract yet and into his last year contract wise and I think we could get a fee then there’s Rose no smoke without fire and if there is interest from Leeds now armed with premiership cash i hope not but it could be difficult to turn down a big bid. Still 50/50 on Kasteneer so would give him another twelve months maybe a loan out nothing to lose really

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If 5 subs becomes a thing we will need most of them

Also never get why people say get rid of Jobello. They guy was a beast before he got injured. Dint we have a slight slump after that and changed style slightly.

He was quite decent, not a 'beast'. IMO Mason was better before he had a bad game and got dropped. Both lose out with the formation switch. I wouldn't actively be looking to get rid of him, but I wouldn't be averse to letting him go if someone bid for him.

cooperskyblue

Absolutely no chance Pask will go out on loan, I would be genuinely stunned. I fully expect him to get into the team this season at some point whether it be through injury to one of the others and stay there and cement his place.

I wouldn't want to see any players like Max, Westbrooke, Jobello moved on, we need depth we need options. I think a few younger lads getting loans could be helpful.

Kastaneer, I really wanted him to be class, I'm not sure what will happen to him tbh. Wpuld someone buy him, doubtful. A loan? Possible. I just don't think he applies himself in the way Robins wants.

jordan210

He was quite decent, not a 'beast'. IMO Mason was better before he had a bad game and got dropped. Both lose out with the formation switch. I wouldn't actively be looking to get rid of him, but I wouldn't be averse to letting him go if someone bid for him.

Jobello is a midfielder. Dint he sit in front of Dabo ?

larry_david

Forgot about Pont. He'll be moved on one way or another, we've probably risen too quickly for him. He could be one we regret but it seems wrong time for him.

Jones I think will be given every chance.

Eccles another I forgot about. Has to have a loan this season. Very highly rated but needs to play now and no jpt, alot of the younger players won't get aa look in.

larry_david

Absolutely no chance Pask will go out on loan, I would be genuinely stunned. I fully expect him to get into the team this season at some point whether it be through injury to one of the others and stay there and cement his place.

I wouldn't want to see any players like Max, Westbrooke, Jobello moved on, we need depth we need options. I think a few younger lads getting loans could be helpful.

Kastaneer, I really wanted him to be class, I'm not sure what will happen to him tbh. Wpuld someone buy him, doubtful. A loan? Possible. I just don't think he applies himself in the way Robins wants.
Yeah I like Pask. I was suggesting loan for a bit of match fitness but I do see him as a potential first teamer

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Flog Ponticelli too, he’d have made it by now if he was ever going to.

Why? He's only 22. Admittedly he had an unsuccessful loan at Tranmere but has been injured for over half of the last two years and then when he was getting back to fitness lockdown was enforced. Amazing how some people say the likes of jones are still only young and been unlucky with injuries yet he's older.

Without doubt Ponti this season needs to be fit and scoring goals either in U23 or on loan to force his way back into the reckoning.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Forgot about Pont. He'll be moved on one way or another, we've probably risen too quickly for him. He could be one we regret but it seems wrong time for him.

Jones I think will be given every chance.

Eccles another I forgot about. Has to have a loan this season. Very highly rated but needs to play now and no jpt, alot of the younger players won't get aa look in.

At the moment the lack of DCM cover and almost inevitability Kelly will have an injury for a few weeks and probably quite likely Hamer will get the odd suspension too means Eccles is likely to be U23 rather than loan in case we need him. I guess we could put a recall clause in just in case

larry_david

Why? He's only 22. Admittedly he had an unsuccessful loan at Tranmere but has been injured for over half of the last two years and then when he was getting back to fitness lockdown was enforced. Amazing how some people say the likes of jones are still only young and been unlucky with injuries yet he's older.

Without doubt Ponti this season needs to be fit and scoring goals either in U23 or on loan to force his way back into the reckoning.
Was doing alright at Wrexham, exactly the spell he needed. Same with Thompson. Same again this season?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was transferred out Westbrooke being a possibility he hasn’t signed a contract yet and into his last year contract wise and I think we could get a fee then there’s Rose no smoke without fire and if there’s an interest from Leeds now armed with premiership cash i hope not but it could be difficult to turn down a big bid. Still 50/50 on Kasteneer so would give him another twelve months maybe a loan out nothing to lose really

I think Leeds being promoted will see them looking at different targets to Rose now.

With the PL money they could offer a few million for him and he'd get a nice pay increase but it's not like he's development squad age. He should be pushing first team and he's not PL standard yet. He needs to be playing and he won't get that at Leeds.

shmmeee

I think if we can afford it I’d end with a squad of two in every position as well as formation options for both the box and wingers and one or two upfront, so I’d go something like:

GK: Marosi/Wilson
RB: Dabo/Dacosta
LB: NEW/Mason
CB: NEW/McFadz
CB: Rose/Pask
CB: Hyam/Williams
DM: NEW/Kelly
DM: Hamer/Eccles
AM: Hilßner/Shipley
AM: O’Hare/Allen
W: Jones
W: Jobello
ST: NEW/Godden/Max/Baka

Then prune anyone left over. So Westbrooke, Kasta,Ponti from the first team. I’d also send Thompson and/or Drysdale out on loan, somethings got to give in U23 midfield a couple of loans there, maybe let Bremang go as we could potentially have three first team strikers missing out.

So that’s 26 + kids. 4 more signings. Seems feasible.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Was doing alright at Wrexham, exactly the spell he needed. Same with Thompson. Same again this season?

Maybe.

Trouble is I think he's one MR has pretty much made his mind up on regardless of what he does. If he plays U23 or goes L2 or lower even if he scores a lot of goals the standard of football will be used as a caveat against what he's achieved.

PVA

There's no way Jones goes.

If we play the same formation as last season then he could definitely play in the two behind the striker.

I know it's only training, and it was only a couple of minutes footage, but he looked good in the training videos posted by the club last week.

Marty

Get Jones out on loan to a league one side until Christmas and go from there, barely played above conference level, and hardly kicked a ball competitively for the previous 3 seasons. Get him used to playing regularly again and get his confidence up in his knees.

Need to get the youths out on loan to good footballing sides too. The like of Drysale and Williams.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Get Jones out on loan to a league one side until Christmas and go from there, barely played above conference level, and hardly kicked a ball competitively for the previous 3 seasons. Get him used to playing regularly again and get his confidence up in his knees.

Need to get the youths out on loan to good footballing sides too. The like of Drysale and Williams.

I agree. Not like we're short of ACM's and his and O'Hare's style of play in being direct are quite similar.

skyblueelephant76

Jones has barely played above conference level? He's got over 100 appearances in the Football League, almost half of those in League One.

Marty

Jones has barely played above conference level? He's got over 100 appearances in the Football League, almost half of those in League One.

I thought we signed him from conference level, seems it was L2, point stands, still barely played for 3 seasons though, needs confidence in his body.

shmmeee

Yeah but other than 100 appearances before he’s 22 barely anything.

(side note: were we aware Jodis middle name is Felice? There’s your headline when he leaves Tom Leach)

Marty

Yeah but other than 100 appearances before he’s 22 barely anything.

(side note: were we aware Jodis middle name is Felice? There’s your headline when he leaves Tom Leach)

I genuinely wasn't aware he had played so much.

shmmeee

Also Jodis other middle name is Jay, so hes J Jay (Felice) J

Sounds like a 90s rapper. 🤔

better days

I thought we signed him from conference level, seems it was L2, point stands, still barely played for 3 seasons though, needs confidence in his body.
Dagenham & Redbridge were in L2 when we signed him
They were relegated two years later after mismanagement by the people running the club

cc84cov

If 5 subs becomes a thing we will need most of them

Also never get why people say get rid of Jobello. They guy was a beast before he got injured. Dint we have a slight slump after that and changed style slightly.
Not sure I would describe Jobello as a “beast” but in defo would keep he was getting up to speed before injury

cc84cov

There's no way Jones goes.

If we play the same formation as last season then he could definitely play in the two behind the striker.

I know it's only training, and it was only a couple of minutes footage, but he looked good in the training videos posted by the club last week.
He was used in the roles behind a striker at under 23’s so yes if he stays he will be used there coming off the bench

cc84cov

At the moment the lack of DCM cover and almost inevitability Kelly will have an injury for a few weeks and probably quite likely Hamer will get the odd suspension too means Eccles is likely to be U23 rather than loan in case we need him. I guess we could put a recall clause in just in case
Eccles wasn’t at the required level in league 1 didn’t stand out as under 23’s I he won’t get close to This seasons squad,100% we will sign another holding midfielder

Users who are viewing this thread