Match Thread Southend United vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 20th Oct (2 Viewers)

covcity4life

What a win today, we thoroughly deserved the win, another late goal was brilliant. It's great to see Sterling showing his quality now as well. There's no reason why we can't aim for the play-offs with a couple of shrewd additions in January.
6 pts off autos. Like last year we shud be aiming for autos and playoffs plan b

jordan210

Just watched the highlights. The goal that wasn’t given should see the ref and linesman in serious trouble. It’s massively over the line. They don’t even consult with each other.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watched the highlights. The goal that wasn’t given should see the ref and linesman in serious trouble. It’s massively over the line. They don’t even consult with each other.

No excuse but the Linesman is on the side that the body is blocking which I guess didn’t help!
(Click on the picture in the comment)

pusbccfc

There's no reason why we can't challenge for the top 6.

We were far superior to a decent Southend side today.

RegTheDonk

Another last minute winner. Got to start believing after that surely?
Certainly fate is favoring us lately with the late winners! Great for the entertainment, bad for the ticker. Sell wembley and invest in VAR for league one lol. Well done to the team, after that equaliser I was expecting us to shut up shop .... but fortune favors the brave. I believe!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Was it a goal? Was it not a goal? Who cares? We won!

Otis

Yeah, no doubt about it on a freeze frame picture that we can all look at at our leisure.:emoji_rolling_eyes:
The players were absolutely livid and didn't look at it at their leisure and saw it live in real time, as did the fans.

Doesn't matter that we too saw it after, people at the time saw it live and clearly said it was an awful decision not to award the goal.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Goal difference counts, with that goal we are not on -1.
At this stage of the games played, I don't give a hoot. If we only had 4 or 5 games left and every goal counted then I'd be saying something. At the end of the season, I doubt if many of us would even remember "that goal" that was disallowed at Sarfend! I know I won't! I don't dwell on it, it's not going to change the results and I don't really care.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Yeah, no doubt about it on a freeze frame picture that we can all look at at our leisure.:emoji_rolling_eyes:
Look at the three closest Southend players; one kicks the ball away in disgust and the keeper goes to console the sheepish looking defender on the line. Players instinctive reactions are a huge giveaway.

chiefdave

This is what bugs me. We see terrible officiating on a regular basis yet there seems to be no come back. Yet if a player or manager mentions a clear mistake they have made they get a fine and / or banned.

Who is monitoring them and working to make them better?

Adge

The players were absolutely livid and didn't look at it at their leisure and saw it live in real time, as did the fans.

Doesn't matter that we too saw it after, people at the time saw it live and clearly said it was an awful decision not to award the goal.
Oh yes my mistake as the players are such an honest bunch who adhere to the laws of the game with integrity every time they step foot on the pitch and the fans are not biased at all.

Otis

Oh yes my mistake as the players are such an honest bunch who adhere to the laws of the game with integrity every time they step foot on the pitch and the fans are not biased at all.
Ha! Nice spin.

The players always react like they did yesterday?

The ball was clearly over the line and people who saw it in real time immediately said so.

The bit about the rest of us seeing afterwards is irrelevant here. It was immediately identified and do not need and slow mo or freeze frame.

Players do always react, but yesterday was so obvious and hence the over the top reaction from the players. It wasn't just an appeal, it was an all out protest.

Magwitch

What I liked about our win was we dominated throughout but they equalised late on and perhaps in the past we’d have settled for an away draw but we went for it pinned Southend back and got what I think was a deserved win.
About the ref, the goal that never was was in no doubt don’t know what view the officials had but apart from that incident I thought the referee did okay lots of sneaky fouls from Southend but he didn’t duck out for the home team and was on the ball with the free-kicks fair play to him.

Nick

Administrator
You seem very biased

Their fans also saw it was miles over. Officials got it wrong, it's that simple.

They should be punished.

Otis

In a banned from reffing for a month way, then starting off at the low tier until they can be trusted to not mess up.

Annoys me they get away with things.
Yeah, same here.

Was the ref in a great position to see it yesterday? I can't quite recall.

Adge

You seem very biased

Their fans also saw it was miles over. Officials got it wrong, it's that simple.

They should be punished.
Well the best officials are always the ones shouting from the sidelines.

Adge

Yeah, same here.

Was the ref in a great position to see it yesterday? I can't quite recall.
Absolute tosh! The referee would have been on the edge of the penalty area and would be looking over to the assistant to see if the ball has gone over the line. As has been said previously the assistant would not give the goal as his view would be shielded by the player on the line (the ball being the other side of said player).

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

I think the Southend player sitting on his backside in the goal, lifting his leg up and swiveling it over the ball into the goal, in order to knock it out is a bit of a give away for all concerned. No excuse for the officials here as they seem to be the only people in the stadium who missed it, apart from the most partizan Southend fans of course.

Ricketts

Whilst we have some shit referees, I've just watched the EFL show and been reminded that in League 2 they are even worse.

(And I was a referee)

Users who are viewing this thread