Match Thread Southend United vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 20th Oct (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

I thought JCH overreacted - it was a ball thrown by a young kid of a steward - hardly going to wipe JCH out. At the end though, JCH was doing that obnoxious thing, wafting under his nose at the steward (feigning that the steward stinks). Childish, offensive and well hard (not). Not a moment to be proud of.

Thanks H...my thought was also that JCH overreacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CovInEssex

I'm not bragging or anything but ran on the pitch after the winner and got full on NFL tackled by a steward and got sent backwards and hit my head on the hoardings and had a headache since.

Adge

Not sure what your issue is?

Our fans saw it cross the line in realtime, their fans saw it, their players saw it, their players saw it.

2 officials missed it and then booked our player for showing what happened.

It's the issue with refs, never think they are wrong.
You just don’t get it do you? Yes, we can all see from the picture that the ball is over the line, that is not in doubt. What the issue is what people can’t grasp is IF THEY CANT SEE IT THEY CANT GIVE IT IF THEY ARE NOT 100% SURE THAT IT HAS CROSSED THE LINE!

Adge

Funny old world isn't Adge. You happily like being an armchair critic and write off young footballers but don't like fans criticising poor refereeing decisions. Hypocrite alert
Wouldn’t say armchair critic as I attend most matches to make a judgement on them myself. Glad to be proved wrong as I have been with Maddison but won’t give players a free ride just because of their age or if they’re not up to it like others seem to do.

Nick

Administrator
I thought JCH overreacted - it was a ball thrown by a young kid of a steward - hardly going to wipe JCH out. At the end though, JCH was doing that obnoxious thing, wafting under his nose at the steward (feigning that the steward stinks). Childish, offensive and well hard (not). Not a moment to be proud of.
Bit random to say he smells, should have got Kelly on to push him over.

Adge

Don't get the player blocking the ball excuse either. That lino us about 7ft 4in. I'm sure he's elevated enough to see the ball over a player at pitch level.
OFFS! Yeah, he was on scaffolding at the time.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm not bragging or anything but ran on the pitch after the winner and got full on NFL tackled by a steward and got sent backwards and hit my head on the hoardings and had a headache since.

Christ - that was you was it mate, Right in front of me. Thought the steward was well out of order (not in trying to stop you, but the intent with which he pole-axed you) Saw you fall back and catch your head, and was a bit worried about your health. Did you just get thrown out of the ground? P.S. Hope your head feels better!! EDIT - just seen the 12mth ban bit. Not sure how they enforce those, plus if we were to play them in the league next year, it could be later in the season and wouldn't affect you?

Nick

Administrator
Sounds amazing, I hope somebody filmed it.

lifeskyblue

That was some thump you took. Surprised your head not cut open. Not surprised you still got a sore head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CovInEssex

Christ - that was you was it mate, Right in front of me. Thought the steward was well out of order (not in trying to stop you, but the intent with which he pole-axed you) Saw you fall back and catch your head, and was a bit worried about your health. Did you just get thrown out of the ground? P.S. Hope your head feels better!! EDIT - just seen the 12mth ban bit. Not sure how they enforce those, plus if we were to play them in the league next year, it could be later in the season and wouldn't affect you?

Cracking lump on the back of my head and bruise on my arm, yeah weird!

Legia Sky Blue

You just don’t get it do you? Yes, we can all see from the picture that the ball is over the line, that is not in doubt. What the issue is what people can’t grasp is IF THEY CANT SEE IT THEY CANT GIVE IT IF THEY ARE NOT 100% SURE THAT IT HAS CROSSED THE LINE!

I doesn't really matter now as we won anyhow but if we hadn't this would have been a much better issue. The fact is that between them, the ref & lino should have got that decision right, & even if the lino was unsighted, the ref should have been better positioned to see it for himself. Not sure its been mentioned either but has anyone seen a replay, to see where the ref was positioned and what sight he had of the 'goal'?

ovduk78

I doesn't really matter now as we won anyhow but if we hadn't this would have been a much better issue. The fact is that between them, the ref & lino should have got that decision right, & even if the lino was unsighted, the ref should have been better positioned to see it for himself. Not sure its been mentioned either but has anyone seen a replay, to see where the ref was positioned and what sight he had of the 'goal'?
The ref is on the edge of the penalty area and his view was probably obstructed by players

Adge

The ref is on the edge of the penalty area and his view was probably obstructed by players
Which in a previous post is where I said the referee would be (which by the way is the correct position for that phase of play). And as previously stated, he would be looking across at the assistant for an indication if the ball is over the line. As we have already discussed the assistant wouldn’t be able to see that it has gone over the line because of the player on the line.

Magwitch

Who would have been offside? Davies headed it from a corner and it went in.
Well if a player is in an offside position it is upto the ref to decide if he is interfering with pla or seeking to gain an unfair advantage
Cracking lump on the back of my head and bruise on my arm, yeah weird!
That was assault in anyone’s language, i’d report him. Although you shouldn’t be on the pitch that steward is not at liberty to take the law into his own hands.

Ricketts

That was assault in anyone’s language, i’d report him. Although you shouldn’t be on the pitch that steward is not at liberty to take the law into his own hands.

Not in my language its not. Its an offence to enter the pitch. The steward is doing his job. Fans that can't control themselves ******* ******** ****

Its a game of football, that's all.

Nick

Administrator
So they aren't keeping up with the game? The issue is that they didn't see it. Everybody else did.

How did Doyle see it so clearly and manage to even explain what happened when he took the corner?

Nick

Administrator
Well if a player is in an offside position it is upto the ref to decide if he is interfering with pla or seeking to gain an unfair advantage

Who was offside?

Not really assault is it either. Our stewards should learn from it.

Sky Blue Harry H

Not in my language its not. Its an offence to enter the pitch. The steward is doing his job. Fans that can't control themselves ******* ******** ****

Its a game of football, that's all.
Normally I'd agree with you. Agree he shouldn't have gone on the pitch, but the overzealous way he was pole-axed was out of order. I watched the steward before during and after and he was scary!

Sky Blue Pete

But they are making a decision by not giving the goal! If they can’t get into a position to give that then OMG

skybluegod

Which in a previous post is where I said the referee would be (which by the way is the correct position for that phase of play). And as previously stated, he would be looking across at the assistant for an indication if the ball is over the line. As we have already discussed the assistant wouldn’t be able to see that it has gone over the line because of the player on the line.

Wrong. Please don’t pretend to know what you are talking about when you don’t. It is the correct recommended position. Speaking as someone who has reffed and been assessed throughly. there is no set position for a ref to be in. He is in an incorrect position if he cannot make the correct decision. He didn’t make the correct decision. Because HE was not in the position to see.

CovInEssex

Normally I'd agree with you. Agree he shouldn't have gone on the pitch, but the overzealous way he was pole-axed was out of order. I watched the steward before during and after and he was scary!

This is my opinion. Absolute no regard to see if I was okay, just picked up, arms twisted up my back and hauled off. No wonder he said sorry about 40 times after.

Sky Blue Harry H

Having just re-watched the video, I see that 2 City fans got clobbered/taken out by the stewards. I had assumed you were the one halfway between the goal and the corner flag, but I can see another now right by the corner flag (a couple of seconds afterwards). Were you the former or the latter?

Nick

Administrator
Having just re-watched the video, I see that 2 City fans got clobbered/taken out by the stewards. I had assumed you were the one halfway between the goal and the corner flag, but I can see another now right by the corner flag (a couple of seconds afterwards). Were you the former or the latter?

The second one went down easier than JCH.

oucho

I am starting to have a feeling that we could be on the verge of something really special this season. I was dreading the Southend game as we always lose there (or so it feels) but by all accounts we bossed it and had enough tenacity to nick a tough away win. A couple more wins now and we'll be flying. If we can put together 5 in a row I might have a sneaky few quid on promotion.

Users who are viewing this thread