Match Thread Southampton friendly Tuesday (1 Viewer)

KenilworthSkyBlue

Really? I wouldn't fancy him anywhere near the first team in that position, he got caught out by long balls more than once. Thompson likewise.

Agreed. I know highlights often don't tell the full picture but it's quite clear he's not comfortable at CB. He seemed to consistently play his teammates into trouble with poor judgement/poor passing, his positioning at times was suspect, and he made several mistakes that led to chances/goals.

capel & collindridge

I see the sides of the debate, but I still don't see Baka scoring half of these type of goals.

20 goals from Max, one headed (No 1) and one other (No. 7) could have been headed. Instead Max scored with an overhead. Much the best in the circumstances. Playing to Max's strengths. In the build up to another of his goals, Max uses a finely weighted header to a colleague and scores from their return pass.

1 headed goal in 20 goals taken is 5%. I just looked up what percentage of goals are headers. Apparently, it's 11.7%. So Grendel may be right. Perhaps we should have expected one more headed goal from Max from his tally of 20. Still three overheads more than compensate for this slight weakness.

Grendel

20 goals from Max, one headed (No 1) and one other (No. 7) could have been headed. Instead Max scored with an overhead. Much the best in the circumstances. Playing to Max's strengths. In the build up to another of his goals, Max uses a finely weighted header to a colleague and scores from their return pass.

1 headed goal in 20 goals taken is 5%. I just looked up what percentage of goals are headers. Apparently, it's 11.7%. So Grendel may be right. Perhaps we should have expected one more headed goal from Max from his tally of 20. Still three overheads more than compensate for this slight weakness.

The headed goal was not against a real team was it - wasn't it the U21 team? Also surely its how many goals a number 9 like Dublin scores with his head that is relevant?

capel & collindridge

The headed goal was not against a real team was it - wasn't it the U21 team? Also surely its how many goals a number 9 like Dublin scores with his head that is relevant?
And also it's about whether you are playing a lump it up to an old-fashioned No 9 type game - or a traditional one with wingers crossing it from the by-line so the advancing centre-forward can re-bound it past the keeper from his (slowly dementing but apparently concrete) head - or whether you are playing in the modern style with more fluidity, interchangeability and flair. I see Dion as a player who was on the cusp of the transition into the game it is today. Brilliant with his head, but with a lot more to his game too, especially his versatility.

I think you are right too about Ponticelli's record of a goal every 109 minutes played in the lower leagues. It a good record and better on that metric than any other of our strikers at that time, but it was still lacking in some of the skills we needed in League One. For the moment at least he's more likely to to make a Championship player via a successful season or two at Wrexham, than staying and not playing with us. Who knows where Biamou will be playing for the next couple of years, but as a supporter that enjoys character, commitment to the team and moments of great individuality, what is there not to like?

Hobo

Ok not Southamptons strongest side but have a reputation of bringing players through. We had a lot of youngsters out there too.

Some good individual defending by us at times but maybe not as a unit.

At the end of the day we took our chances better, come from behind and won 3-1.

It is still just a pre seadon friendly building fitness and sharpness.

It is a run out no more no less. It normally takes 5 or 6 proper league games for teams to settle and find out where they are at.

Users who are viewing this thread