Match Thread Southampton friendly Tuesday (1 Viewer)

skyblueelephant76

It's interesting looking at teams pre-season preparation. Apart from Rangers we've played all League one sides. They're all teams we should be better than and it's let us get some confidence and score some goals.

Wycombe on the other hand played Southampton u23s first and won 1-0. Since then they've played West Ham and Villa and lost 5-1 and 5-2.

I know Wycombe don't have much of the ball (even when they are doing well) but it can't be good for confidence getting hammered in consecutive weeks before the season starts.

Sky Blue Harry H

No we're playing against the first team that beat Swansea 7-1. Will be a good test. If we can get a draw, I'd be impressed.

They have half a dozen first teamers out on international duty. Ings, Ward-Prowse etc, but will still have a very strong side, Redmond etc

SkyblueTexan

They have half a dozen first teamers out on international duty. Ings, Ward-Prowse etc, but will still have a very strong side, Redmond etc

I think Ings, Ward-Prowse etc. played and scored against Swansea. Here is the Youtube video of the 7-1 match.

Magwitch

Think this is an ideal friendly to see where we are at with the season almost on us, Southampton are one of the most improved Premier teams after the 9-0 hammering off Leicester don’t suppose it’ll be their full team but hope it’s as strong as the one v Swansea.

Sky Blue Harry H

Think this is an ideal friendly to see where we are at with the season almost on us, Southampton are one of the most improved Premier teams after the 9-0 hammering off Leicester don’t suppose it’ll be their full team but hope it’s as strong as the one v Swansea.

No chance it will be as strong - just let 2 players leave on loan, plus 6 out on International duty. They will still have a stronger side than Posh put out, though.

Paxman II

Be interesting to see how we compete against so called higher grade opposition. Can't see us being as bad as Swansea, who's defending was awful making an easy day for Southampton. Ings, Adams, Ward-Prowes and co I hope will feature.

SlowerThanPlatt

Be interesting to see how we compete against so called higher grade opposition. Can't see us being as bad as Swansea, who's defending was awful making an easy day for Southampton. Ings, Adams, Ward-Prowes and co I hope will feature.

“So called higher grade opposition”, they’re an established Premier League side...

Ings and Ward-Prowse are on international duty

PUSB-We_are_going_up

No we're playing against the first team that beat Swansea 7-1. Will be a good test. If we can get a draw, I'd be impressed.
It would not be unheard of if we beat them since we have proven time and time again it doesnt matter the league we will still play our best football and try and get the win

shmmeee

Don’t think I’d play the first team here, less than a week until the season starts. Just use it for fitness and fringe players.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've watched Southampton on TV a few times and Redmond is one of my favourite Premier League players at the moment. Always seems to give 100% when playing. Not a prolific goal scorer but he always seems to be involved when one is scored.

Gibbo

Shame Osti can't play. I would have preferred Robins to play as near as dammit the likely back 5 for the first game. With so much change at the back (Rose, Dabo all missing for the first games, Giles appearing less of a defender than MacC) aquiring mutual understanding at the back is a top priority.

Users who are viewing this thread