Match Thread Southampton friendly Tuesday (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 4439

I see the sides of the debate, but I still don't see Baka scoring half of these type of goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr_monkey

I think you are bending the facts slightly to fit your argument. Max scored goals in the FA Cup against Bristol Rovers and Ipswich. Neither were weakened teams and both were League One. Are all the League One goals we scored against these teams last season to be devalued? I think you are showing a lack of respect to the FA Cup by down playing the competition in such a way. If you were at any of our FA Cup ties last season you will know how desperate we as fans were for us to win those games. You also disregard the fact that he scored against a Championship team, who weren't leaving players out and who were also desperate to beat us.
Max may have reached the ceiling of his capabilities (shame it seems he won't be given the chance to show that that might not be true) but there is no need to play down or belittle what he has achieved.

I don't think anyone is belittling just more the fact that he has obviously reached a ceiling as the step up to the championship is massive (I think people are going to be shocked with the difference once it all starts)

If godden and Kelly aren't going to be good enough for the championship (according to a lot on here) then max sure as hell isn't and that's not being disrespectful it's just being realistic about his ability. We can't afford to be sentimental with players in our position we need to be better and unfortunately max (like Westbrooke and like Doyle in league one) just aren't up to the step up

Mucca Mad Boys

I think you are bending the facts slightly to fit your argument. Max scored goals in the FA Cup against Bristol Rovers and Ipswich. Neither were weakened teams and both were League One. Are all the League One goals we scored against these teams last season to be devalued? I think you are showing a lack of respect to the FA Cup by down playing the competition in such a way. If you were at any of our FA Cup ties last season you will know how desperate we as fans were for us to win those games. You also disregard the fact that he scored against a Championship team, who weren't leaving players out and who were also desperate to beat us.
Max may have reached the ceiling of his capabilities (shame it seems he won't be given the chance to show that that might not be true) but there is no need to play down or belittle what he has achieved.

I’d really like Biamou to surprise us and play a more significant role than expected this season.

Whilst I appreciate his goals, in particular the late winner v Bolton to save face against a poor outfit. The proof is in the pudding that Robins, more often than not, opted for alternative strikers when given the choice. An element of reality comes into play that we’re now in the second tier of English football, and we need to improve. Frankly, Bakayoko was arguably lucky to be kept on, and he has the upside of his age. With Biamou, he’s 29 and not particularly prolific, despite making some significant contributions off the bench. Especially coming from an ACL injury, credit where it’s due.

It’s Robins’ duty to continually look to improve the team, and sometimes you’ve got to be ruthless.

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

I've watched Southampton on TV a few times and Redmond is one of my favourite Premier League players at the moment. Always seems to give 100% when playing. Not a prolific goal scorer but he always seems to be involved when one is scored.
Southampton after their Leicester hammering turned it around well, most improved side in the Premier in my opinion. Reckon this season they will finish just outside top six.

Evo1883

Reading up the match report on the saints forum, it said saints had many players with 1st team game time in the side, not necessarily experience so much but with that in mind and some of the lads we had out that's a better result than I thought

hill83

I think michael bay was directing as well judging by the camera shake.

Can't complain though. Pre season friendly and we get to watch the goals.

better days

Its basically graphic footage of us getting humped but somehow coming away 3-1 winners.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
True but they were Southampton's highlights
It's always the case that the club choosing the highlights focus on their own good points
Although they have to show opposition goals of course

David O'Day

It's always the case that the club choosing the highlights focus on their own good points

any need for the 5 minutes of Fraser Forster picking his nose?

rhino1002

i suspect that was a very one sided view of proceedings but i'm sure if CCFC had produced the highlights it would have been in our favour
they seem to have a lot of chances but obviously we took 100% of ours

TomRad85

This is true, but from the very little I could make out of the goings on by piecing together tweets, bits from here etc.. in this case it does seem like it was a fairly accurate representation. On the plus side, we were extremely clinical in front of goal.

Sky Blue Pete

This is true, but from the very little I could make out of the goings on by piecing together tweets, bits from here etc.. in this case it does seem like it was a fairly accurate representation. On the plus side, we were extremely clinical in front of goal.

Two great finishes those last 2

Magwitch

Can be as one sided as they like what wasn’t one sided was the score 3-1 to what was almost our reserve team.

SkyBlueSam01

I'm sure I read at the time that it was Lafferty. One of the youngsters I know very little about in all honesty.

Yeah Dan Laff - he's a third year scholar who has been out for a long time, largely with a knee injury, hence why this was his first 90 mins in a couple of years. He's a Toni Kroos style CM whos intelligence and technical ability is really highly thought of at the academy so would be great to see him step up into the first team!

Users who are viewing this thread