So out of touch with Premier leagure football now (3 Viewers)

duffer

I pretty much know every player but only due to playing Fantasy Premier League. Haven't watched match of the day or an actual match for about 10 years.
Only watch us or England. It's been said that I don't 'really' like football, and whoever said it wouldn't be far off.

Hold up a mo, if you don't like football what on earth are you doing following Coventry Cit.... ah, actually, now I come to think about it...

:)

duffer

It's just not real to me any more, or at least it's a different game to the one I fell in love with. The money, the lack of contact, the diving, the over exaggeration of injuries - I might as well be watching WWE in that I know those reactions to situations do not represent reality, it's not really how things are. To the point where watching a Premier League game is almost like a surreal dream - I recognise everything that is going on, it feels familiar, i want to enjoy it, i know the players but there are these few subtle details that I want to ignore but that are nagging away at me, reminding me that this really isn't what I'm trying to pretend it is.

And when I wake up, my pillow is gone.

I know exactly what you mean. I always tape MoTD, but I hardly ever watch it now.

Incidentally, did you dream you ate a giant marshmallow?

Nonleagueherewecome

I agree. That's my whole point. I went through the "Good" times in the top division and there were players that cared, there were blood & guts tackles and wing runs and crosses, lots of goalmouth action. I would be embarrassed to be a Man City or Chelsea player after turning out that game for paying fans.
The old fashioned kick out from the keeper or wide break down the wing at least led to knock downs or flick on's that often led to something exciting and even if the ball was lost there was an immediate attempt to win it back. Today's game even at our low level is all about possession and it can be like watching chess. Let's somehow get back to Blood & Thunder.

I could not agree more. It's almost a completely different game now. It's what happens when money and science dominate I guess. I also actually preferred it on a crappy pitch with a harder ball, unlike the beach balls today that any pro can bend round corners, because it was harder and more of an achievement to score a goal, play a stunning pass, etc or even kick the bloody thing a decent distance. It simply looked better, it's a more beautiful game. And you had to be tough 'cos the tackles would come in thick and fast. I'd argue that the players were more skillful with all the mitigating factors. Plus individual play was more frequent, much less safe passing and much more intuitive and entertaining. The game had characters.

I love stuff like The Big Match Revisited and Youtube is a goldmine nowadays with almost everything on film seemingly on there. We're not involved here, but I love this game as an example of blood and thunder and it sprang to mind as exactly the opposite of what you hate about the modern game!:

So many tackles and dribbles in that short clip, and a classic 70's footballer in Terry Mancini: bit of a jobbing defender, awful balding pate, but up for a joke even moments after almost scoring an own goal! Reminded of of Greg Downs, hee hee. And a great finish by Hurst for the goal after good wing play.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Oh yeah: and good English goalkeepers at loads of clubs, wearing green jerseys, and everyone wearing black boots.

Nonleagueherewecome

Fook me what a pitch:

Nonleagueherewecome

TewkesburySkyBlue

many on here would argue that our games have been enjoyable...
Where do I start? Personally I think the PL is a disgrace and sport it is not. I hardly ever watch it now as I got rid of Sky because I think Rupert Murdoch and his henchman are the most dangerous on the plant .And if they don’t own it any more I don’t care. They did the damage.
It’s supposed to be the English Premier League but actually it’s spot the Englishman.
Someone should have balls to restrict the number of foreign players in every team although the soon to be gone EU would probably have something to say about that.
The fact that the big clubs can hoover up vast numbers of young British players to prevent their rivals from signing them is just plain wrong.
Having watch the City for nearly 60 years in every possible division I hate to say it but I think where we ware now (but hopefully not for long ) is proper football.
I have a dream The the Premier League will collapse in a great big heap whilst Im still around to see it.
PUSB

Johhny Blue

Where do I start? Personally I think the PL is a disgrace and sport it is not. I hardly ever watch it now as I got rid of Sky because I think Rupert Murdoch and his henchman are the most dangerous on the plant .And if they don’t own it any more I don’t care. They did the damage.
It’s supposed to be the English Premier League but actually it’s spot the Englishman.
Someone should have balls to restrict the number of foreign players in every team although the soon to be gone EU would probably have something to say about that.
The fact that the big clubs can hoover up vast numbers of young British players to prevent their rivals from signing them is just plain wrong.
Having watch the City for nearly 60 years in every possible division I hate to say it but I think where we ware now (but hopefully not for long ) is proper football.
I have a dream The the Premier League will collapse in a great big heap whilst Im still around to see it.
PUSB
Top Flight "Football is gone forever R.I.P. I'm so glad I got to see the games when they were real

duffer

Fook me what a pitch:

That is absolutely brilliant, many thanks. Given that training in those days consisted of a quick kickabout and then three hours in the bookies it's amazing how fit those players were. That pitch must have been completely knackering...

If you want to see one of the things that's changed between then and now, watch from 3:21 in... I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw this happen in a professional game.

clint van damme

Just to put a bit of perspective on this thread, during the 80s, which I loved football wise and every other wise, I remember going into the Albany pub when it opened at 6pm on a Saturday after coming back from HR and striking up a conversation with a couple of old boys, (probably the same age as I am now), who were saying how much football had changed from their heyday in the 60s and 70s and how they didn't bother going anymore! I thought they were mad.
I agree with all of the anti Premiership sentiment expressed on here but it is very easy to look back through rose tinted spectacles.

SkyBlueSoul

I still watch MoTD every week without fail, and use my mates SkyGo to watch most games at the weekend, but I wouldn't pay to go and see most of those games. When teams like Man City turn it on, they are irresistible but I will admit it can be pretty sterile at times in the PL.

I recently moved to Manchester and can get cheap tickets for both of the big clubs but haven't been to a single game for either. On the other hand, I've been to several Salford City games because it's walking distance and a lot more fun. The football's grittier, tackling is allowed, running someone off the ball isn't always a foul, wingers generally try to stay on their feet more than win a free kick. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it feels more real somehow and all for £10 entry and £3.50 pints

fernandopartridge

That is absolutely brilliant, many thanks. Given that training in those days consisted of a quick kickabout and then three hours in the bookies it's amazing how fit those players were. That pitch must have been completely knackering...

If you want to see one of the things that's changed between then and now, watch from 3:21 in... I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw this happen in a professional game.

Hugh Johns doing the commentary as well, superb. I've said it before on here that it's a myth that modem players are fitter, they play on pitches that are like snooker tables. Technique wise they play with balls that are easy to manipulate. The crosses and finishes for the 2 Greenhoff goals were excellent.

kapowaz

Fun* thought for you all. Next season will be our 18th outside of the Premier League, double the number of seasons we spent inside the Premier League (obviously not counting old Division 1 seasons). Assuming we did somehow manage to get promotion this season, the absolute minimum number of seasons we’d have spent outside the top flight would be twenty.

*Not actually fun.

duffer

Fun* thought for you all. Next season will be our 18th outside of the Premier League, double the number of seasons we spent inside the Premier League (obviously not counting old Division 1 seasons). Assuming we did somehow manage to get promotion this season, the absolute minimum number of seasons we’d have spent outside the top flight would be twenty.

*Not actually fun.

Although in fairness, we were 34 years in the top division weren't we? (That's from memory btw, actual figure may differ!)

fernandopartridge

I have no desire to get to the Premier League. Championship would be better, look at that Villa Wolves game this weekend, as much a spectacle as all the PL games except maybe the Daytripper Derby at Old Trafford.

Sick Boy

I have no desire to get to the Premier League. Championship would be better, look at that Villa Wolves game this weekend, as much a spectacle as all the PL games except maybe the Daytripper Derby at Old Trafford.

I was saying the same thing just the other day. We would have a lot of tasty derby games in the Championship as well.

Sick Boy

I'm more of a traditional/old fashioned defender and whenever I play against the younger generation, they are unable to cope with slide tackles and think I'm being 'reckless'. The ball is taken legally but they just fall over, one of them called for me to be sent off the other day as well hahaha.

covcity4life

For those pining for 90s warxh yesyerdays old firm derby. Amazing game bsxk and forth commited chsllenges and a good ref. Excellent

kapowaz

I have no desire to get to the Premier League. Championship would be better, look at that Villa Wolves game this weekend

As much as I’d like to think we could one day be having games like this again I struggle to see us being even a moderate force in the championship. Both Villa and Wolves have had PL cash in the bank, and parachute payments since. Obviously Wolves have been spending money like a drunken sailor with their new owners lately too.

But then again, maybe aspiring to be a top team in League One is setting our expectations a little too low...

Johhny Blue

I'm more of a traditional/old fashioned defender and whenever I play against the younger generation, they are unable to cope with slide tackles and think I'm being 'reckless'. The ball is taken legally but they just fall over, one of them called for me to be sent off the other day as well hahaha.
Is that you Micky Doyle?

Nick

Administrator

Half the time you didn't even need to tackle them, the best players were always the younger players with a bit about them who wouldn't be bullied. There used to be some who could do all the flicks, skills and keep ups but as soon as you go through them, stand on their heels and tell them the next time there's a 50/50 you are having their knee cap they are out of the game.

Johhny Blue

Just watched "Vinnie Jones fouls and fight compilation" on you tube. There's the old fashioned first division in a nutshell. I can't figure out how to attach links (Maybe one of our more tech savvy forum members could post it)
Quote from Vinnie "I would love to score10 goals in a season but the officials won't let me play a whole season"

covcity4life

top 6 all won yesterday bar liverpool who lost to another top 6 team. but man city only ahead cos rivals are poor right?......

that said i hope fernando has some ammunition tonight as i hope man u go out to sevilla

Esoterica

Just watched "Vinnie Jones fouls and fight compilation" on you tube. There's the old fashioned first division in a nutshell. I can't figure out how to attach links (Maybe one of our more tech savvy forum members could post it)
Quote from Vinnie "I would love to score10 goals in a season but the officials won't let me play a whole season"
The interesting thing about that video is not the tackles themselves but the number of people who jump straight back up again. No rolling around for 5 minutes and going off on a stretcher just to influence the ref.

Here's your link anyway:

Nick

Administrator
That would be the good old days when if a player skipped a tackle you knew the second one wasn't going to be missed as you were going with the ball.

covcity4life

The interesting thing about that video is not the tackles themselves but the number of people who jump straight back up again. No rolling around for 5 minutes and going off on a stretcher just to influence the ref.

Here's your link anyway:

feigning injury is probably worst thing about football right now besides money

defender wins header but goes down to stop play rather than let the cross come back in and battle for it again for e.g

Esoterica

feigning injury is probably worst thing about football right now besides money

defender wins header but goes down to stop play rather than let the cross come back in and battle for it again for e.g
Wouldn't even fix it by allowing physios to come on while the game carries on either, like they do in the egg chasing. They benefit from being able to score across the width of the pitch but if a footy player goes down in play on the penalty spot and gets 5 minutes of treatment from a physio it will be mayhem.

Users who are viewing this thread