So out of touch with Premier leagure football now (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

My son was out with Morgan Schneiderlin and his mates last night and my son was somewhat disappointed when I asked him who he was!!!!!

Well it turns out he plays for Everton (my other halfs club) and used to play for Man United.....which ties in with my son who runs the George Best pub in Manchester and that's how he knows him.

Anyways - I've come to the conclusion that I can only name about 10 premier league players and confess that sadly, when I'm down the pub talking to fellow pub goers I actually pretend to recognise the names - even commenting on their performances....pffffff

Anyone else lost interest in the PL - I'm not even sure its down to the Sky Blues being in Division 4.

Anyways - turns out he is a lovely guy who even managed to keep a straight face when talking about Coventry City...so Ive added him to my list of known PL players.....say hello to Number 11 on my list - Morgan Schneiderlin

28537635_1696839897026404_1717621414_n.jpg

ccfcway

its brilliant, I love it. Must watch about 6 games a week.

Money is mad though. Luke Berry is the highest paid player in League Two on £3.5k a week.

Most squad prem players get considerably more than that a day !

oucho

The PL does seem like a distant fantasy so far removed from the lives of real people. CCFC, for all the problems at the club and their quirks of our situation, does feel like a real football club. I just can't relate to, or take much interest in, a setup where 19 year olds are on £100k a week and more or where most of the players / managers have arrived from abroad with no link to their clubs. It's like a billionaire's fantasy league and it doesn't interest me anything like as much as it used to.

That said, I do know who Morgan Schneiderlin is.....

covcity4life

Cant relate i am afraid

I watxh footy non stop including prem. Whilst i dislike the power vacuum and diving and non ohysicality of it all its still arguably thr best football league in the world and very entertaibing.

Covkid1968#

Cant relate i am afraid

I watxh footy non stop including prem. Whilst i dislike the power vacuum and diving and non ohysicality of it all its still arguably thr best football league in the world and very entertaibing.

I get that - and I think I did back in the day. For me supporting Cov is more about supporting a team that represents my City rather than the love of the game these days.

Covstu

I am fairly knowledgeable but due to the fact that I listen to talksport so no avoiding. I used to watch a lot more games that I did and would make an effort to go to the pub to watch a game but don't tend to bother anymore.

ajsccfc

I've not lost interest, but it's a lot more of a vague passing interest where I'll watch a game if I've got nothing else on but I wouldn't make a point of doing so. I used to be able to reel off a starting XI for any team, now I'm surprised that Leon Osman is retired as I'm sure he was only 21 last I checked.

BodicoteSkyBlue

Money is mad though. Luke Berry is the highest paid player in League Two on £3.5k a week.

Read somewhere over the weekend Notts County we’re going to offer someone £15k a week!! Can’t remember who tho, plus I had a fair few over the weekend,so it may have been in my drunken dreams.

tisza

unless Notts County get their way and sign Capel - 10k per week + 5k per game

Nick

Administrator
Dont really follow it at all, only know Stoke / Brighton players from playing against them and obviously the well known ones at Man City etc. Couldn't tell you many more from other teams.

SkyBlueScottie

Why wouldn't you watch Man City at the moment... its a pleasure. For a start you appreciate the huge gulf in talent from the premiership to our level, might make some of our fans realise that we are no longer a premiership / championship team.

lifeskyblue

Can’t say as I follow it but son keeps telling me little nuggets that go in one ear and out other. Have watched a few pl and euro matches on tv when had opportunity so know a little of the ‘better’ clubs/players. Loving to see what’s happening at arsenal...not because it’s arsenal but because the club and fans believe they have an entitlement. I just wish it would happen to some of the others too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

Why wouldn't you watch Man City at the moment... its a pleasure. For a start you appreciate the huge gulf in talent from the premiership to our level, might make some of our fans realise that we are no longer a premiership / championship team.

Their game against Chelsea yesterday was awful, the Chelsea tactics were a joke, Hazard upfront on his own and they kept lumping the ball up to him (touch of the Liam Kelly fever)

Nick

Administrator
I watched Chelsea Barca last week as I had absolutely nothing else to do and couldn't find the remote to turn it over. It was pretty boring.

ajsccfc

Their game against Chelsea yesterday was awful, the Chelsea tactics were a joke, Hazard upfront on his own and they kept lumping the ball up to him (touch of the Liam Kelly fever)
Easily one of the worst matches I've ever seen. I swear those little spells every now and again of two Man City players just pinging 18 passes between them in a few seconds was just to keep busy.

ccfcway

I watched Chelsea Barca last week as I had absolutely nothing else to do and couldn't find the remote to turn it over. It was pretty boring.

most 1st legs of knock out tie are very cagey. 2nd game will be better

SkyBlueScottie

There are 2 teams on the pitch, Man City absolutely dictated the game, with their passing and pressing, you dont seriously think the Chelsea Tactics were to lump it up to Hazard, it was the very fact that Man City held on to the ball, and when it was lost hunted it down again, putting Chelsea under tremendous pressure.

hill83

I pretty much know every player but only due to playing Fantasy Premier League. Haven't watched match of the day or an actual match for about 10 years.
Only watch us or England. It's been said that I don't 'really' like football, and whoever said it wouldn't be far off.

skyblueinBaku

Can’t say as I follow it but son keeps telling me little nuggets that go in one ear and out other. Have watched a few pl and euro matches on tv when had opportunity so know a little of the ‘better’ clubs/players. Loving to see what’s happening at arsenal...not because it’s arsenal but because the club and fans believe they have an entitlement. I just wish it would happen to some of the others too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's happening at Arsenal?

Esoterica

It's just not real to me any more, or at least it's a different game to the one I fell in love with. The money, the lack of contact, the diving, the over exaggeration of injuries - I might as well be watching WWE in that I know those reactions to situations do not represent reality, it's not really how things are. To the point where watching a Premier League game is almost like a surreal dream - I recognise everything that is going on, it feels familiar, i want to enjoy it, i know the players but there are these few subtle details that I want to ignore but that are nagging away at me, reminding me that this really isn't what I'm trying to pretend it is.

And when I wake up, my pillow is gone.

Otis

It's just not real to me any more, or at least it's a different game to the one I fell in love with. The money, the lack of contact, the diving, the over exaggeration of injuries - I might as well be watching WWE in that I know those reactions to situations do not represent reality, it's not really how things are. To the point where watching a Premier League game is almost like a surreal dream - I recognise everything that is going on, it feels familiar, i want to enjoy it, i know the players but there are these few subtle details that I want to ignore but that are nagging away at me, reminding me that this really isn't what I'm trying to pretend it is.

And when I wake up, my pillow is gone.
I am not at all keen and many talented English kids are getting sidetracked by all the foreign imports.

NorthernWisdom

They've all lost touch.

There was a pundit dissection of Arsenal's woes on 5Live yesterday and they were saying that Arsenal had only spent 35m on one defender and it wasn't enough, they should have spent more.

Crazy.
Radio 5's sports reporter this morning at least pointed out that being at grimsby, and fighting to stay in the league... now *that* was a crisis.

rob9872

I enjoy it, but at the same time I'm glad we're no longer part of it. My aspirations after years of top flight football have changed. Sure I want us to do better, be financially secure with more fans/atmosphere coming through the turnstiles, but I've also got used to football being more how it used to be with our own kids coming through the academy and getting in the side whilst also being more accessible to the local community. L2 is pants, but play-offs of L1 regularly with an occasional flirtation into the Championship and an extended cup run would be a nice place to be.

rob9872

I am not at all keen and many talented English kids are getting sidetracked by all the foreign imports.
I don't think they are. The talented ones will always come through but may have to set their sites a little lower to get back up. The problems as I see them is the stockpiling of young talent at the big clubs. I'm not sure how factual it is, but I read that Chelsea had in excess of 70 players out on loan (not all English but a large number of them). I also think many young players are paid too much before they've earned it. I have no problem with Hollywood salaries for those at the top producing entertainment, but when you have lower prem teams reserve players with a handful of first team games earning £40k per week it surely cant be sustainable even with all the Asian TV money flooding in.

Sky Blue Harry H

Ben Stevenson - subs bench for Colchester at home to Barnet the other day. It will be interesting (as an example that we can relate to) to see how his career goes over the next 2 to 3 seasons. George Thomas too - I reckon he'll get loaned out to a Championship club next season - but if Adam Armstrong was a bit hit and miss, how's George going to do? That said, when you hear about Luke Berr at £3.5k/week being the highest paid player in L2, you can't blame some of these players for taking the leap into the unknown (please sign a contract Mr Bayliss !)

NorthernWisdom

Ben Stevenson - subs bench for Colchester at home to Barnet the other day. It will be interesting (as an example that we can relate to) to see how his career goes over the next 2 to 3 seasons. George Thomas too - I reckon he'll get loaned out to a Championship club next season - but if Adam Armstrong was a bit hit and miss, how's George going to do? That said, when you hear about Luke Beery at 3.5k being the highest paid player in L2, you can't blame some of these players for taking the leap into the unknown (please sign a contract Mr Bayliss !)
Yeah, they can always go back to our level if it goes tits up, but be considerably richer for the experience!

ccfcway

L2 is pants, but play-offs of L1 regularly with an occasional flirtation into the Championship and an extended cup run would be a nice place to be.

Whilst we don't have a right to be anywhere, with the correct set up, there is nothing to suggest we shouldn't have aspirations akin to Southampton, Brighton, Swansea etc,

rob9872

Whilst we don't have a right to be anywhere, with the correct set up, there is nothing to suggest we shouldn't have aspirations akin to Southampton, Brighton, Swansea etc,
I agree, but not sure I want it. Higher ticket prices, a team full of overpaid sulking prima donnas and a constantly changing fixture list to suit TV and opponents with European fixtures. My aspirations have somewhat changed to be more of a Wigan, Barnsley, Bristol City type club.

SkyBlueSid

Yes, it's a reality check when you think that Manchester City were relegated from the Premier League with us in 2001. Our paths have diverged a little since then.

Manchester City are easily the most watchable team in the Premier now. I certainly think that the Spanish La Liga is still superior. The Premier League has ended up like most other top leagues with a handful of teams competing for everything, and over half of the teams being awful. It doesn't stop the awful teams deluding themselves and paying their below average players ridiculous salaries though.

Johhny Blue

I was going to start a thread this morning along the lines of "What's Happening to the Prem? I haven't seen a premiership game for ages but tuned in to the Man City Chelsea borefest at the weekend. Neither team looked interested Man City didn't care if the ball went forwards, backwards or sideways as long as they kept possession and with Chelsea players not wanting to get involved backwards worked more often than not.
Hazard was subbed in the 88th min and strolled off like his team was 3-0 ahead. At one point the commentator said that "Man City are the future of Football" If that's the case I'm happy to float around the lower divisions and enjoy the games.

ccfcway

I was going to start a thread this morning along the lines of "What's Happening to the Prem? I haven't seen a premiership game for ages but tuned in to the Man City Chelsea borefest at the weekend. Neither team looked interested Man City didn't care if the ball went forwards, backwards or sideways as long as they kept possession and with Chelsea players not wanting to get involved backwards worked more often than not.
Hazard was subbed in the 88th min and strolled off like his team was 3-0 ahead. At one point the commentator said that "Man City are the future of Football" If that's the case I'm happy to float around the lower divisions and enjoy the games.

many on here would argue that our games have been enjoyable...

Users who are viewing this thread