Simms (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Actually agreed with Brummie Nick on the phone in last night after the game...

Simms is still young but needs a lot more consistent game time. He'll have a good game and then get about 10-15 minutes in the next couple which I imagine might be to give Godden some gametime if he's been at Mark Robins door asking to play more.

Agree we could do with another option up front though, Haji Wright is a lot more suited to that wide role than in the centre
Next season I’d expect Godden to be replaced and Simms to rotate with whoever that is

Saddlebrains

You've got so much wrong in the past though. Writing players off as awful, who have then have proved you wrong, so it's hard to have any credence in what you say unfortunately.

Godden's missed loads of fantastic chances and so too, Wright.

I would give him until next season.

Thats fair enough

But I'm a lot more confident im right about him than i Was Haji

Boicey

The truth is the majority of our Gok, Hamer money went into two quite oddball forwards. Both lacking confidence and natural aggression. Both with what seems a smallish window of what they are actually good at.
The trouble is I don’t think a lot of money will be put into a quality Godden replacement so I think it’s gonna largely be doing the best we can.
One things for sure we could do with keeping COH.

Brighton Sky Blue

The truth is the majority of our Gok, Hamer money went into two quite oddball forwards. Both lacking confidence and natural aggression. Both with what seems a smallish window of what they are actually good at.
The trouble is I don’t think a lot of money will be put into a quality Godden replacement so I think it’s gonna largely be doing the best we can.
Well it clearly didn’t, we invested a lot at the back too. Assuming we don’t go up we’d need to spend on:

McF/Binks replacements
Wide attacking players x 2
COH replacement
Godden replacement
Perhaps a Bidwell/JD upgrade
Kelly upgrade

Boicey

Well it clearly didn’t, we invested a lot at the back too. Assuming we don’t go up we’d need to spend on:

McF/Binks replacements
Wide attacking players x 2
COH replacement
Godden replacement
Perhaps a Bidwell/JD upgrade
Kelly upgrade
Most reports have Wright at £7.5m and Simms between £6m and £8m. So yes it was the majority.
Doug won’t be spending his own money and outgoings won’t generate much so I wouldn’t expect much proven quality coming in next season.

Grendel

Most reports have Wright at £7.5m and Simms between £6m and £8m. So yes it was the majority.
Doug won’t be spending his own money and outgoings won’t generate much so I wouldn’t expect much proven quality coming in next season.

Simms was around £3.5 million originally

MAFF

I agree he’s been mostly shit this season but so has Godden.

Not sure why Simms got dropped after he was fairly decent over the Christmas period. Give Simms a run of games and let Godden have his tantrums if he wants.

Londonccfcfan

Thought he played well tonight should have had a penalty I think Goddens days in the championship are numbered he ran around a lot but his yard of pace is gone

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
This is it problem now is seen it many times..Goddens had a yard or 2 head start on defenders and still gets caught. He's lost that yard of pace, so when he's missing chances and not holding it up. He really offers absolutely nothing apart from running around and closing down.

Baffling why Tavares wasn't given a few mins. He may as well go on loan.

Londonccfcfan

Simms is playing shite and nowhere his best or potential, but he's still a handful. Be patient stick with him. Yes he looks clumsy at time but seen enough this season to see he will be a top striker. Just get off his back and maybe back him.

skyblue_55

Again last night we witnessed another poor performance, from a striker that should be putting these chances away .
This was apparently Robins choice & allegedly he was happy to come here , but it again seemed like a not very good fit .
We’ve said about confidence, etc etc , but I wouldn’t like to see him in a struggling side , if this is him with confidence ?

Brighton Sky Blue

The Simms fee up front won’t be close to that.

Cally Fedora

I think it can be taken as fact that no one wants Simms to fail. We’d all rather he was banging in the goals. But when people say there’s a player in there etc I just can’t see what they’ve seen. I think I’ve seen most of his games for us. I’ve seen one cohesive, footballing moment from him when he hits the bar v someone early on in the season. Even his goals v QPR didn’t look “natural”. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it yet.

fernandopartridge

Goddens chance in the first half was more than a half chance it was an awful miss, he had time to take a touch and then shoot,but he looks like he’s lost all confidence as we all know he’s the best finisher at the club.
It was hard to tell from where I was how close in it was, I've not seen it on TV yet so I will take your word for it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Robins and his team have a good track record of developing players so I'm not going to write Simms off just yet.

There's something there and some aspects of his game are OK but at the moment his finishing isn't anywhere close to what is required.

His confidence is obviously shot to pieces in front of goal so not really sure everyone lining up to tell him he's shit and will never make it is really going to help.

Balli001

This is it problem now is seen it many times..Goddens had a yard or 2 head start on defenders and still gets caught. He's lost that yard of pace, so when he's missing chances and not holding it up. He really offers absolutely nothing apart from running around and closing down.

Baffling why Tavares wasn't given a few mins. He may as well go on loan.
It isn't baffling. He just isn't very good

Hertsccfc

Why are you lumping Wright in there? He's been a major success. He's scored goals and created and been one of our best players. He's adapted to an unfamiliar position and followed the managers' instructions.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

I agree he’s been mostly shit this season but so has Godden.

Not sure why Simms got dropped after he was fairly decent over the Christmas period. Give Simms a run of games and let Godden have his tantrums if he wants.
Simms has played in every match, all 31 of them. The problem is not lack of game time. It's the complete opposite. We shoukd have given him time to develop away from the pressure of regular first team appearances, as this has just drained his confidence.

No he wasn't decent over the Christmas period.

MikeyMoo

Simms is ok when we have wright and saka plus a strong midfield that can score goals. He creates space. We can see the season through this way. The problem is when we rest the wide forwards and the better midfielders. Simms/Godden just doesn’t seem to work.

Hertsccfc

Simms is playing shite and nowhere his best or potential, but he's still a handful. Be patient stick with him. Yes he looks clumsy at time but seen enough this season to see he will be a top striker. Just get off his back and maybe back him.
What have you seen that makes you think he will be a top striker? You saw nothing in Wright who has really obvious attributes like pace, skill, finishing and ability to find goalscoring positions all the time. Simms seems to have none of these. So other than being big what is it?

Londonccfcfan

What have you seen that makes you think he will be a top striker? You saw nothing in Wright who has really obvious attributes like pace, skill, finishing and ability to find goalscoring positions all the time. Simms seems to have none of these. So other than being big what is it?
Trust the process.

Hertsccfc

I think it can be taken as fact that no one wants Simms to fail. We’d all rather he was banging in the goals. But when people say there’s a player in there etc I just can’t see what they’ve seen. I think I’ve seen most of his games for us. I’ve seen one cohesive, footballing moment from him when he hits the bar v someone early on in the season. Even his goals v QPR didn’t look “natural”. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it yet.
Totally agree with this. I desperately want him to come good but I just don't get what it is that all these people have seen in him.

Balli001

I agree he has potential. Younger than tavares who our fan base have a wierd crush on and seem convinced is still a teenager. He has played and scored in premier league, scored goals st this level previously and offers far more as a lone striker than godden.

Hertsccfc

I agree he has potential. Younger than tavares who our fan base have a wierd crush on and seem convinced is still a teenager. He has played and scored in premier league, scored goals st this level previously and offers far more as a lone striker than godden.
He scored one goal in the Premier League.

I must admit I was originally comforted in thinking he was a goalscorer, who was just going through a lean patch here, as I couldn’t really see much else to him. Then someone on here said he has never been a goalscorer as such. I looked into this and it seems right. His only 'purple patch' was 7 in 17 at Sunderland. That in itself was exactly prolific especially bearing in mind he had Diallo in that team.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread