Significant Council announcement on Ricoh coming (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Coun Ann Lucas speech to full council this afternoon:
2014 is a critical year for the city of Coventry as we continue our transformation to become a truly competitive city - not just on a national stage but on an international one, too.

Since becoming Leader I have spoken a lot about grasping every possible opportunity to talk up our city and our vision for economic growth and prosperity to put Coventry up there - where it rightly belongs. We want to make Coventry great again, and we will make Coventry great again.

You might think this is a strange place to begin a statement about Coventry City Football Club, ACL and the Ricoh Arena. Actually, it's exactly the right place to begin. Because this is the context we’re working in, and this will be the focus of our efforts this year as we face some of the toughest funding challenges from central government local government has ever seen.

There is so much vital work for us to do with partners across the city and the sub-region to stimulate the economy and create jobs and opportunities for our people - we cannot be overly distracted by the ongoing dispute with the owners of the Sky Blues. We are beginning to see the results of our absolute determination to make Coventry great again, but there is much more to do and our journey has only just begun.

So this is where we stand. Let me be absolutely clear and unequivocal about the following.

Yes - as I have said consistently here in this Chamber, as I have said to Ms Seppala face to face and I have said in the media; I want to see the Sky Blues playing back at the Ricoh Arena - its rightful home.

Yes - I acknowledge that the Ricoh Arena, as a key asset of our city, would be enhanced by having the Sky Blues back home.

Yes - I agree that there is a significant adverse impact for a growing, aspirational city not to have a football club playing here.

Yes - I do have confidence in ACL to trade through without the football club, and also to go from strength to strength over the coming months and years.

Yes - I continue to be available on behalf of the Council to discuss with the owners of football club a reuniting of the Sky Blues with the Ricoh Arena.

Yes - in the future we must be committed to consider all options available to not just protect but also maximise the potential of the Ricoh Arena. We must continue to deliver all the objectives which led us to that brave decision in 2003 to build the Arena and regenerate one of the most deprived parts of our city. And let’s just remember what this decision has meant to our city.

Before the Arena motorists on the M6 used the ugly gasholders on the old Foleshill gasworks as the sign they were passing Coventry. What a great advert for the city!

Now it’s the stadium – a symbol of our commitment to regeneration and reinvention. I’m proud that I know I’m nearly home from a long motorway trek when I see our Arena on the horizon – I know thousands of Coventry people feel the same.

And it’s not just the stadium that’s transformed that part of the city, of course. It’s the shopping centre there, including what was, at the time, Europe’s largest Tesco, the library we opened to make it as easy for local people to borrow a book as it was to buy a can of baked beans, and all the other shops and restaurants now well established on the site. Nearly three thousand people now work on the transformed land of what was once a contaminated, ugly gasworks.

The Ricoh Arena, and the site around it, has always been about much, much more than a football stadium. It’s about regeneration, jobs creation, a symbol of pride for people in a part of the city that’s had more than its fair share of hard times.

This is - and always has been - our focus.

And because I want this city to be punching not just at its weight but way above, and I’m in a hurry to make this happen, I am no long prepared for us to be distracted unnecessarily on this issue - as important as it will remain.

We will prepare rigorously to defend our position against the owners of Coventry City Football Club in the ongoing Judicial Review proceedings.
We will provide support to ACL as it gears up to deliver its business plan over the next year and beyond. We will leave the door ajar to the owners of the football club and, indeed, any other interested parties who want to discuss sensibly the future development of the Ricoh Arena.

But as I made clear before Christmas - we will now move on.

We simply must - for the sake of the taxpayers of Coventry - meet the ongoing financial challenges as best we can and grab with both hands every single opportunity to make our city prosperous.

I would expect all my Labour group colleagues to focus on these two issues, and I would hope to have cross party support on this, too. I need my officers, particularly at senior level, to focus on guiding us through the toughest financial times we have arguably ever faced.

The position of the Council that I have outlined today is clear.

The position of ACL – to grow its business but prepared, as I understand it, for the football club to come back immediately and cover costs only is clear.

The position of Ms Seppala on behalf of the Club that they will only come back to the Ricoh Arena as complete and unfettered owners and in the meantime they will accelerate plans to build a new home outside Coventry - is equally clear. Repeating these respective positions does not strengthen the case, nor does it provide a solution.

Now this Council must and will move on. We do not have time to waste and must not have unnecessary distractions from the priorities ahead of us all.

I will continue to hope for a solution to this sorry saga - but I will not allow it to dominate and distract any longer.

Enough is enough - we move on and lead our city to a strong, prosperous future - preferably with the Sky Blues at the Ricoh Arena playing an integral part in our success - but if necessary without them.

chiefdave

Can't really argue with any of that. Basically the council feel they've done everything they can and will not get on with things on the assumption the club is not coming back but will be willing to talk at any time should SISU change their mind. Puts the pressure on SISU to start delivering some solid evidence of the new stadium.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Seemed to be unanimous support from all sides in the council chamber.

Specs WT-R75

Can't really argue with any of that. Basically the council feel they've done everything they can and will not get on with things on the assumption the club is not coming back but will be willing to talk at any time should SISU change their mind. Puts the pressure on SISU to start delivering some solid evidence of the new stadium.

No what she should have said was that this also included supporting any sensible planning application within the city boundaries also.... that really would have called their bluff.... this statement was absolutely nothing new once again.

blah blah blah

as i stated before christmas, we have to move on- but the ricoh is the rightful home of the sky blues and the door is always open.

blah blah blah

enough is enough and we will move on to find new anchor tenannts, but are still hopeful of the sky blues returning.

ffs if youre going to move on do it, and just look for a new tennant.

why do the council and telegraph keep our hopes up with words like significant if they really arent that.

the council and acl have my support over this, but statements like this are amatuerish at best.

sisu out

DaleM

When did that happen? The Higgs only agreed a HOT with Sisu and then Sisu walked away and as far as I know have yet to reimburse the Higgs for their costs despite agreeing to do so. CCC couldn't veto the sale of the charity share as no sale had been agreed and HOT aren't binding.

Exactly. Wasn't it only the other week that the Higgs were in the firing line. If Sisu's alleged plan works and they distress ACL the Council and the Higgs will lose money.

SkyBlue_Bear83

That was significant, in 24 months time we will be still being told about how the club and council are having last ditch talks to return to the Ricoh

shmmeee

No what she should have said was that this also included supporting any sensible planning application within the city boundaries also.... that really would have called their bluff.... this statement was absolutely nothing new once again.

Agree about the planning thing but disagree this is nothing new. This is te council moving on. Over to you Sisu.

Nick

Administrator
If they have moved on, why are they still talking about it?

It is like texting somebody to say "I am over you". It is the same with SISU, the game is still very much on I think.

asb

Sat through God knows how much council waffle to hear a statement that didn't say anything new.:facepalm:

At least you will have seen it first hand and will then know that any later reinterpretation of it that deviates from that will be bull.

I enjoyed the bit when she sacrificed the live chicken on the altar while muttering a long standing anti CCFC incantation.

Or did I dream that.

torchomatic

chiefdave

If they have moved on, why are they still talking about it?

It is like texting somebody to say "I am over you". It is the same with SISU, the game is still very much on I think.

The last statement they made was the one last year wasn't it which said they would move on if nothing had been done by the end of the year. This is just confirmation of that, tying up the loose ends and making it known publically. It's not really the councils fault if people have read more into the CT tweeting about it and thought it was going to be a bigger announcement.

Think they're spot on to be honest, get on with things and leave it with SISU to come back to ACL / CCC if they want to talk about moving back.

Can see the point about planning but then that's just opening up something else that will drag on, we all know that SISU can make an application for planning permssion within the city if they wish to do so.

stupot07

A bit of an anti climax, doesn't really say anything that hasn't been said before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Hobo

Statement draws a line under SISU's tactics. Both parties now separate entities. If SISU are still eyeing the Ricoh it is now down to them to make a move.

Also re JR shows funding was around a redevelopment project which football club was part of, rather than just a stadium for football club.

From their point of view right decision.

SISU get on with it.

Monners

Tying up the loose ends from the end of the year ultimatum to Sisu. She cannot offer anything in regard to planning for any new stadium. That would be pre-emptive and any application is likely to fail due to the fact that an appropriate facility is already in place. Its entirely up to Sisu/Otium now. All hangs on the JR as she hinted.

Nick

Administrator
So if the JR was for funding for a full project, are ACL making money from Tesco etc? I don't get that bit.

dongonzalos

Coun Ann Lucas speech to full council this afternoon:
2014 is a critical year for the city of Coventry as we continue our transformation to become a truly competitive city - not just on a national stage but on an international one, too.

Since becoming Leader I have spoken a lot about grasping every possible opportunity to talk up our city and our vision for economic growth and prosperity to put Coventry up there - where it rightly belongs. We want to make Coventry great again, and we will make Coventry great again.

You might think this is a strange place to begin a statement about Coventry City Football Club, ACL and the Ricoh Arena. Actually, it's exactly the right place to begin. Because this is the context we’re working in, and this will be the focus of our efforts this year as we face some of the toughest funding challenges from central government local government has ever seen.

There is so much vital work for us to do with partners across the city and the sub-region to stimulate the economy and create jobs and opportunities for our people - we cannot be overly distracted by the ongoing dispute with the owners of the Sky Blues. We are beginning to see the results of our absolute determination to make Coventry great again, but there is much more to do and our journey has only just begun.

So this is where we stand. Let me be absolutely clear and unequivocal about the following.

Yes - as I have said consistently here in this Chamber, as I have said to Ms Seppala face to face and I have said in the media; I want to see the Sky Blues playing back at the Ricoh Arena - its rightful home.

Yes - I acknowledge that the Ricoh Arena, as a key asset of our city, would be enhanced by having the Sky Blues back home.

Yes - I agree that there is a significant adverse impact for a growing, aspirational city not to have a football club playing here.

Yes - I do have confidence in ACL to trade through without the football club, and also to go from strength to strength over the coming months and years.

Yes - I continue to be available on behalf of the Council to discuss with the owners of football club a reuniting of the Sky Blues with the Ricoh Arena.

Yes - in the future we must be committed to consider all options available to not just protect but also maximise the potential of the Ricoh Arena. We must continue to deliver all the objectives which led us to that brave decision in 2003 to build the Arena and regenerate one of the most deprived parts of our city. And let’s just remember what this decision has meant to our city.

Before the Arena motorists on the M6 used the ugly gasholders on the old Foleshill gasworks as the sign they were passing Coventry. What a great advert for the city!

Now it’s the stadium – a symbol of our commitment to regeneration and reinvention. I’m proud that I know I’m nearly home from a long motorway trek when I see our Arena on the horizon – I know thousands of Coventry people feel the same.

And it’s not just the stadium that’s transformed that part of the city, of course. It’s the shopping centre there, including what was, at the time, Europe’s largest Tesco, the library we opened to make it as easy for local people to borrow a book as it was to buy a can of baked beans, and all the other shops and restaurants now well established on the site. Nearly three thousand people now work on the transformed land of what was once a contaminated, ugly gasworks.

The Ricoh Arena, and the site around it, has always been about much, much more than a football stadium. It’s about regeneration, jobs creation, a symbol of pride for people in a part of the city that’s had more than its fair share of hard times.

This is - and always has been - our focus.

And because I want this city to be punching not just at its weight but way above, and I’m in a hurry to make this happen, I am no long prepared for us to be distracted unnecessarily on this issue - as important as it will remain.

We will prepare rigorously to defend our position against the owners of Coventry City Football Club in the ongoing Judicial Review proceedings.
We will provide support to ACL as it gears up to deliver its business plan over the next year and beyond. We will leave the door ajar to the owners of the football club and, indeed, any other interested parties who want to discuss sensibly the future development of the Ricoh Arena.

But as I made clear before Christmas - we will now move on.

We simply must - for the sake of the taxpayers of Coventry - meet the ongoing financial challenges as best we can and grab with both hands every single opportunity to make our city prosperous.

I would expect all my Labour group colleagues to focus on these two issues, and I would hope to have cross party support on this, too. I need my officers, particularly at senior level, to focus on guiding us through the toughest financial times we have arguably ever faced.

The position of the Council that I have outlined today is clear.

The position of ACL – to grow its business but prepared, as I understand it, for the football club to come back immediately and cover costs only is clear.

The position of Ms Seppala on behalf of the Club that they will only come back to the Ricoh Arena as complete and unfettered owners and in the meantime they will accelerate plans to build a new home outside Coventry - is equally clear. Repeating these respective positions does not strengthen the case, nor does it provide a solution.

Now this Council must and will move on. We do not have time to waste and must not have unnecessary distractions from the priorities ahead of us all.

I will continue to hope for a solution to this sorry saga - but I will not allow it to dominate and distract any longer.

Enough is enough - we move on and lead our city to a strong, prosperous future - preferably with the Sky Blues at the Ricoh Arena playing an integral part in our success - but if necessary without them.

Good speech

Can't argue with it.

We have to wait three years now of SISU delaying the new stadium build. Whilst ACL try and prove they can survive without CCFC.

We the fans in the meantime suffer.

Wish someone would start talks with ACL about becoming the new anchor tenant

Then the three year wait would quickly become a matter of months.

Last edited:

shmmeee

A bit of an anti climax, doesn't really say anything that hasn't been said before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Keep seeing this, but I don't understand.

Last missive from the council was "blah blah blah, if we haven't heard anything from Sisu after Christmas we're moving on".

This is "We've had no contact, we're moving on"

Don't see how that's not saying anything new. Maybe we all assumed they'd move on, but surely confirmation is hardly "no news".

Would be like saying when Sisu announce the ground location "Well, nothing new here, we knew they were going to build a ground".

RPHunt

It perhaps wasn't new, but it was a reaffirmation of what the council is there for.

Ms Lucas stressed that the arena was built to regenerate the area and to provide jobs - that is what councils do.
If SISU want CCFC to play at the Ricoh, then talk to ACL - that is what stadium management companies do..
And if SISU want to build a new stadium, then get on with it - that is what football club owners do.

The council has far more important challenges than helping a failing hedge fund, that has no idea about running a football club, to get a return on its investment.

dongonzalos

Interestingly Hull fans were very defensive of their owners stance when he took on their council over their stadium.

Now they are beginning to say that they may have been wrong. He has now threatened the fans and FA that if they don't agree to his name change he will walk away.

They are saying did he use these bully boy tactics when he dealt with the council and if he gets away with this he could do anything.

Hobo

So if the JR was for funding for a full project, are ACL making money from Tesco etc? I don't get that bit.

It is about a whole development project Nick. A regeneration project for that side of the city. It was a whole package built up of different elements....they all fed of each other.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Perhaps now that Ms Lucas has made a statement on behalf of the Council Ms Seppala can make a statement on behalf of Sisu when she visits "the Coventry area" on the 17th:thinking about:Not holding my breath.

Nick

Administrator
It is about a whole development project Nick. A regeneration project for that side of the city. It was a whole package built up of different elements....they all fed of each other.

So ACL were loaned the money to redevelop that side of the city not just for the football stadium? What's that got to do with the football club though?

RPHunt

So ACL were loaned the money to redevelop that side of the city not just for the football stadium? What's that got to do with the football club though?

Absolutely nothing, but that doesn't stop SISU demanding it as part of the ransom.

Stafford_SkBlue

No explanation why no agreement on CVA causing 10 point deduction - that is what Councils do best

Who put "significant" in the title - looks like no news to me

Users who are viewing this thread