Match Thread Shrewsbury Town vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 22nd Dec (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
i would give Thomas a break and bring him on as a second half sub if required! he has looked jaded as of late! short sharp shock might focus him a bit

Who on each side? I can just see the attacking intent slowly fading already without him in the team.

letsallsingtogether

Need a win before Xmas think it's time for another winning run.
2-1 City win :)

steve82

I see us getting nothing from this game, a 2-1 defeat I predict extending the bad run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

Shrewsbury is certainly not a happy place for ccfc with a dismal record. Last win was in 1958.
P16 W1 D5 L10 F13 A29

Better news is we’ve only played at Shrewsbury 4 times since the 60’s losing twice. 4-1 in 2012/13 and 2-1 in 2016/17 and drawing 1-1 in 13/14 and Russel Slades last game 0-0 (16/17) the last meeting.
P4 W0 L2 D2 F3 A7

John Fleck (12/13) Callum Wilson (13/14) Aaron Martin (16/17) the modern day scorers.

Ps Happy Russell Slade day to all.

Sorry, Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

While Bayliss has lacked a bit of form recently, there’s no way we can drop him, as we’d lose all attacking intent aside from Thomas.

I think Bayliss is wasted on the wing, but as we have no alternatives, and it might take the pressure off him a bit, I’d put him and Thomas on the wings, with Kelly and Doyle in the middle, but allowing Kelly to push on as he did towards the end of last season.

I’d repeatedly said it, but when we are allowed to be offensive and play football we look good. Thomas, Bayliss, Hiwula, Chaplin, Kelly, Andreu are all technically good players (even if they aren’t currently showing it), but asking them to play out of position and focus on defending isn’t going to showcase that.

In terms of strikers, we really are limited to JCH if we want to play with a big man, and he’s massivley reverted to the player he was last season. However, I’d try Chaplin and Hiwula up front, with Bayliss and Thomas supporting on the wings, it gives us numerous attacking outlets.

Unfortunately I predict another overly cautious set up, likely 4-1-4-1, with defensive tactics, which is a real shame and proving a detriment to our season.

Nick

Administrator
It's a shame bakayoko got injured, never really going to get a proper chance of a few games is he?

Johhny Blue

Shrewsbury is certainly not a happy place for ccfc with a dismal record. Last win was in 1958.
P11 W1 D5 L10 F13 A29

Better news is we’ve only played at Shrewsbury 4 times since the 60’s losing twice. 4-1 in 2012/13 and 2-1 in 2016/17 and drawing 1-1 in 13/14 and Russel Slades last game 0-0 (16/17) the last meeting.
P4 W0 L2 D2 F3 A7

John Fleck (12/13) Callum Wilson (13/14) Aaron Martin (16/17) the modern day scorers.

Ps Happy Russell Slade day to all.

Sorry, Merry Christmas everyone!

I think you need to check your maths

Astute

Today is going to be a strange day for me. Will be watching the Sky Blues playing but hoping for a miracle that they don't win. Will be cheering on the other side. You have to love the underdogs. But will still be proudly standing there with my CCFC top on.

Got talked into going to the Man City V Palace game :rolleyes: But will be with you all in spirit. And listening to the game. I just hope we don't score at the same time as Man City. Because I will celebrate as usual but am going in with the Palace supporters whilst wearing the Man City colours :shifty:

Kingokings204

Today is going to be a strange day for me. Will be watching the Sky Blues playing but hoping for a miracle that they don't win. Will be cheering on the other side. You have to love the underdogs. But will still be proudly standing there with my CCFC top on.

Got talked into going to the Man City V Palace game :rolleyes: But will be with you all in spirit. And listening to the game. I just hope we don't score at the same time as Man City. Because I will celebrate as usual but am going in with the Palace supporters whilst wearing the Man City colours :shifty:

Why you cheering against Astute?

Nick

Administrator
Sky Blue Army!!
giphy.gif

itsabuzzard

Assume he means man city , baffled me as well.
I should be posting in the "Things that annoy you" thread, but it makes my blood boil every time I see or hear of Man City being referred to as the Sky Blues.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Could really do with a win today. Need to restore confidence. The recent weather won't have helped as the pitch likely to be a lot heavier and I don't think that will suit some of our players and style of play.

Sadly I think the best we will get is a draw, but most likely lose 1 nil

stupot07

Surely this really is a must win today, we need to stop the rot and restore some confidence.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
If they have that Beckles fella at Left Back then I'd keep Thomas on the right. He's a bit of a unit so Thomas will do him for pace every time and would just knock it round him and go.

They have Anthony Grant in the middle usually who I think likes to put it about, so will have to stick one on him early.

stupot07

If they have that Beckles fella at Left Back then I'd keep Thomas on the right. He's a bit of a unit so Thomas will do him for pace every time and would just knock it round him and go.

They have Anthony Grant in the middle usually who I think likes to put it about, so will have to stick one on him early.
I've been impressed with him every time hes played against us. Good player at this level.

Nick

Administrator
I've been impressed with him every time hes played against us. Good player at this level.

Can see him getting at Bayliss and winding him up if he is in the middle. Only had to see against Walsall how much it takes him out of the game.

larry_david

Need a win today. For me if nothing else, completely lost enthusiasm for football at the moment. Come on Coventry, save me

oucho

Feeling positive about a pre-Christmas win today. 2-0 City. Onwards and upwards!

steve82

Most aerial challenges won: League One

260 - Oliver Hawkins - Portsmouth
248 - Andy Butler - Doncaster
243 - Matt Clarke - Portsmouth
229 - Ryan Tafazolli - Peterborough
222 - Adebayo Akinfenwa - Wycombe
205 - Luke Waterfall - Shrewsbury

Luke Waterfall needs keeping a eye on at set pieces has 3 goals already this season in the league with two of those headers from corners.
Was Lincoln’s main threat too at set pieces.

I can see us being targeted at set pieces again

oucho

Most aerial challenges won: League One

205 - Luke Waterfall - Shrewsbury

Luke Waterfall needs keeping a eye on at set pieces has 3 goals already this season in the league with two of those headers from corners.

I think it's important just to go with the flow and see what happens

Users who are viewing this thread