Match Thread Shrewsbury Town vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 22nd Dec (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Shrewsbury Town vs. Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

Philosorapter

Coventry City at Shrewsbury Town

IMG_2179.PNG IMG_2180.PNG

Coventry City (1479)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1500) +21
Draw (1479) +0
Loss (1459) -20

stevefloyd

I agree Nick lets attack even if our lacklustre frauds dont score at least its positive for a change

stevefloyd

I would drop shipley stick doyle and kelly in the middle and Bayliss and Thomas out wide...Bayliss out wide is not the best option but a damn sight better than Shipley out there then bring Allesani on later

steve82

Was Russell Slade’s last game in charge in our last visit to Shrewsbury.

Cannot see MR seeing the same fate should we fall short again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

I can see the same 11 as Luton if Willis is fit with MR sticking with 4141.

--------------Burge-------------
Grimmer--Willis--Davies--Brown
--------------Kelly------------
Thomas-Bayliss-Shipley-Hiwula
--------------JCH--------------

However I’d select this to go to Shrewsbury and stick with 442

--------------Burge-------------
Grimmer--Willis--Davies--Brown
Thomas--Ogogo--Kelly--Shipley
---------Hiwula----JCH---------

Nick

Administrator
I just don't think it works when he tries to go so defensive like that.

He plays to invite pressure which worked more in League 2 because the quality wasn't as good. In League 1 we will (and do) get punished.

steve82

I just don't think it works when he tries to go so defensive like that.

He plays to invite pressure which worked more in League 2 because the quality wasn't as good. In League 1 we will (and do) get punished.

I completely understand the point you make in terms of sitting deep and the 4141 system he’s recently utilised but I’m mixed in my feelings towards it with current players available for selection. It gives a element of flexibility as he struggles to find a solution with available players.

The defensive phase of it gives MR what he likes in numbers and compact shape to snuff out any threat but offers little outlet telling on JCH holding play up.
In a attacking phase in can translate to a 433 as it’s got pace and structure on paper at least with Thomas and Hiwula given opportunity to get forward in the wide areas.
It also gives Bayliss opportunities to roam forwards too centrally to be a danger around the outside of the box with Shipley tucking in to cover him with Kelly in a similar shape then to the 4231 as well as it’s normal shape of 4141 when disciplined.

On paper it could work against some sides or away. What we’re currently seeing of it don’t do that consistently or effective enough.

Question is that the system or confidence in individuals believing in themselves to win individual battles and get up the pitch quick enough to support others and show composure making the right decisions.

Last edited:

Paxman II

................Burge
Grimmer Hyam Davis Brown
...........Doyle....Kelly
Allissani....................Thomas
.................Bayliss
.................Chaplin

0-3

CCFC88

Burge
Grimmer Hyam Davies Brown
Bayliss Ogogo Kelly Thomas
JCH Chaplin

Willis in for Hyam if fit. Give Ogogo a run against his old side in the hope it will spark him into some sort of form.

I see no point in putting Doyle back in, with promotion a pipe dream now, he's not the future and we need to find out if his replacement is here or not.

matesx

I see no point in putting Doyle back in, with promotion a pipe dream now, he's not the future and we need to find out if his replacement is here or not.

agreed

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think we could get a win in this one, provided we actually go into the game with the intention to attack and win it rather than absorb pressure.

_______________Burge
Grimmer___Hyam____Davies___Brown
Thomas___Ogogo____Kelly___Allassani
_________Chaplin___Hiwula

Subs: Addai, Willis/Thompson (depending on fitness), Mason, Doyle, Bayliss, Shipley, JCH

Giving Ogogo a chance because it's a ground he's familiar with and he won't have the pressure of our home fans, although he and Brown will undoubtedly be a target for Shrewsbury boo-boys. So a good chance to see how they react to that. I'd have him playing a bit more advanced with Kelly slightly deeper, but not as deep as we've seen him and Doyle in the last few games.

Giving Bayliss a rest but I'd probably try to bring him on later depending on how the game's going as he could play the passes on the floor you'd hope Chaplin and Hiwula would need. Although he could of course just run down blind alleys as he has a tendency to do.

Grendel

He should play a real 4 3 3 with three attacking players in the same line as each other and right across the pitch. Clarke Harris Chaplin and Thomas.

Shipley Kelly and Bayliss behind them

He won’t though

Nick

Administrator
He should play a real 4 3 3 with three attacking players in the same line as each other and right across the pitch. Clarke Harris Chaplin and Thomas.

He won’t though

Wouldn't mind seeing that, none of that bullshit where we have 11 in our half for 75 minutes.

steve82

He won’t though

I don’t think I would either, it’s a bit too expansive.
Both Shipley and Bayliss are not disciplined enough to do the roles asked in a 433.

If Kelly is asked to step up to a normal midfield position then it’s almost what we’re playing currently yet it’s failing

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

I don’t think I would either, it’s a bit too expansive.
Both Shipley and Bayliss are not disciplined enough to do the roles asked in a 433.

If Kelly is asked to step up to a normal midfield position then it’s almost what we’re playing currently yet it’s failing

Shipley is just too slow in thought and movement a lot of the time.

I'd play 4-4-2 with Bayliss / Thomas on the wings, Kelly in the middle with Ogogo or possibly even Andreu. Get the team up the pitch 15 yards although we've got no Willis to play a higher line.

Nick

Administrator
Andreu must be severely lacking any sort of fitness. He was blowing early on in games after a preseason, friendlies and a few games.

He hasn't even been in the U23's.

steve82

Shipley is just too slow in thought and movement a lot of the time.

I'd play 4-4-2 with Bayliss / Thomas on the wings, Kelly in the middle with Ogogo or possibly even Andreu. Get the team up the pitch 15 yards although we've got no Willis to play a higher line.

I think a lot of that with Shipley is confidence with the ability question too currently to perform at this level. Let’s face it sections tell him all the time he’s not good enough, hardly inspiring and a mental issue to overcome if he’s gonna make it.

In truth the midfield is weak with Shipley and Bayliss who also isn’t performing this season so we’re carrying two players effectively for too many parts of the game leaving a deep sat Doyle or Kelly recently to run and dictate the midfield with a Thomas your only consistent outlet.

Tony Andreu I’d love to know what happening with him since his facial operation as he’s not even getting a U23 run out. On paper he’d help the central midfield area put a lot but it looks like we’re no closer to seeing him play anywhere.

cc84cov

He won’t though
Agreed Got more chance of us starting Wegerle up front mate

runner

Shipley needs to be dropped, in my humble, not cutting it ... I do agree with a few people on here, we should go for it on Saturday ... no namby pamby defensive set up, go for it ... I guess, we will have to go with JCH and Chaplin up front, I don't rate either presently, but we've got so limited choices now, that's the best we've got really ...

no_loyalty

4-3-3 formation, play a high pressing game.

steve82

Bloody Klopp’s got a lot to answer for with his 433 attacking hi press, seems this is the pick of the way we wish to take on. Shrewsbury.

Otis

................Burge
Grimmer Hyam Davis Brown
...........Doyle....Kelly
Allissani....................Thomas
.................Bayliss
.................Chaplin

0-3
Wow! That would be fun, spending 90 mins watching the ball sail over Chaplin's head.

pusbccfc

Burge
Grim-Hyam-Davies-Brown
Bayliss-Doyle-Kelly
Allassani-JCH-Thomas

Please.

cc84cov

Bloody Klopp’s got a lot to answer for with his 433 attacking hi press, seems this is the pick of the way we wish to take on. Shrewsbury.

He’s got the personell to do it tho mate

cc84cov

433 ?

Burge
Grimmer Davis Hyam Brown
Kelly Doyle ogogo
Bayliss JCH thomas

Bayliss and Thomas just off JCH with the ball then without drop back into a 5 across the middle.the 3 midfields should be strong enough to control the middle of the park...won’t happen tho.

Nick

Administrator
433 ?

Burge
Grimmer Davis Hyam Brown
Kelly Doyle ogogo
Bayliss JCH thomas

Bayliss and Thomas just off JCH with the ball then without drop back into a 5 across the middle.the 3 midfields should be strong enough to control the middle of the park...won’t happen tho.
Who in that team could you see going through one on one and feel confident they will score?

Paxman II

Wow! That would be fun, spending 90 mins watching the ball sail over Chaplin's head.

It already sails over the head of JCH. At least here we can play it on the floor, run at them and they will be afraid...very afraid.

Sky Blue Harry H

MR must spend hours doing what we've done on this thread. When you are on a winning run you don't have to spend so much time thinking about selection, but when you are struggling, it's tinker, tinker, tinker.

Esoterica

MR must spend hours doing what we've done on this thread. When you are on a winning run you don't have to spend so much time thinking about selection, but when you are struggling, it's tinker, tinker, tinker.
Part of the issue we have now in my opinion - we didn't address the glaring issues that were there when we were on that winning run.

Users who are viewing this thread