Shop staff to be made redundant (1 Viewer)

J

Jack Griffin

I was up the shop on Saturday buying a top. A group of the staff were chatting about redundancies, not surprising really that is the atmosphere a place of work with redundancies in the air has, I know I've been there a couple of times. In general I got the impression they were a decent bunch of young lads & lasses (not a bit older with families, but you never know) who had got off their asses & had a job, they were prepared to work & wanted to work.

Hopefully they'll get other jobs before overlong, there is that big French sports outlet opening on the Arena Park in the autumn, I'm sure with their experience they'll be in prime position.

And if any of the staff are reading this, check it out, you guys must have the right sort of experience they're looking for http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...tore-at-coventry-s-arena-park-92746-31010851/

Last edited by a moderator:

smouch1975

Hmmm. Got in this evening hoping something had changed. We had new owners, thinks we're on the up, something for a Sky Blue to smile about.

Judging by the last page and a 1/2 them SISU fooks are still running the show then......

CCFC123

Such a quote that says everyone is the same.

Things have changed vastly in the last few years. Yes there are jobs out there. The only problem is there are a lot more people looking for work than vacancies. It is mainly low paid work and low paid part time work. You can't choose where you work anymore. So you end up with a low paid job and you have to travel. Move house to save money? If you own your own house you will not sell that easily as who can afford it these days? Or if you can afford it can you get a mortgage?

You say you would get a job the same day. I think I would get a job within a week. I would expect to only get 1/3 of what I get now at the most. I would have to work my way up again. I have a trade that is needed. I have experience. I am the wrong side of 40 now though. I have always worked. I have done some crap jobs in the past. I have been with the same company for nearly 20 years now. It don't mean I haven't a clue what it is like. I have friends that live all over the country. I know a fair few that have lost their jobs. Some have struggled to get another job. It will get worse. Look at what is happening outside your "world".

I am OK. If I lose my job I would get a payoff of about 74k. It don't mean I would be happy joining the rat race again. I am still concerned for others. These people you treat as a number are much more. They are real people. They have real families. Real kids that need feeding. I have seen what happens to others. Have a heart and think before opening your gob.

excellent post. Unfortunatly people like Sisu_Cockroaches bring shame on themselfs and no real constructive arguement on what it means to be made redundant.

You can't just get a job next day and if you do it's most likely a £6 an hour job that still wont get you out the shit in relation to supporting your family and your mortgage. I was very angry reading this person attitude to it all and he was very blarsay about redundancy. It's a subject close to my heart and I dont think he really knows what it does to people and familys.

Sisu_Cockroaches

excellent post. Unfortunatly people like Sisu_Cockroaches bring shame on themselfs and no real constructive arguement on what it means to be made redundant.

You can't just get a job next day and if you do it's most likely a £6 an hour job that still wont get you out the shit in relation to supporting your family and your mortgage. I was very angry reading this person attitude to it all and he was very blarsay about redundancy. It's a subject close to my heart and I dont think he really knows what it does to people and familys.

Hahahahaha

Sisu_Cockroaches

Such a quote that says everyone is the same.

Things have changed vastly in the last few years. Yes there are jobs out there. The only problem is there are a lot more people looking for work than vacancies. It is mainly low paid work and low paid part time work. You can't choose where you work anymore. So you end up with a low paid job and you have to travel. Move house to save money? If you own your own house you will not sell that easily as who can afford it these days? Or if you can afford it can you get a mortgage?

You say you would get a job the same day. I think I would get a job within a week. I would expect to only get 1/3 of what I get now at the most. I would have to work my way up again. I have a trade that is needed. I have experience. I am the wrong side of 40 now though. I have always worked. I have done some crap jobs in the past. I have been with the same company for nearly 20 years now. It don't mean I haven't a clue what it is like. I have friends that live all over the country. I know a fair few that have lost their jobs. Some have struggled to get another job. It will get worse. Look at what is happening outside your "world".

I am OK. If I lose my job I would get a payoff of about 74k. It don't mean I would be happy joining the rat race again. I am still concerned for others. These people you treat as a number are much more. They are real people. They have real families. Real kids that need feeding. I have seen what happens to others. Have a heart and think before opening your gob.

the thing is people become complacent and just plod along thinking the job is going to be there forever and it is their right to a job. wheter we like it or not the world is different now and we are just a number to the powers that be. people should always have another skill they can fall back on or a back up plan. i could not sleep if all i had to rely on was the job that i currently do. its laziness basically.

if you got sacked you would not get your 74k payout and you could get yourself the sack at any point. wearing jeans with the arse cheeks cut out is a sackable offence these days.

Astute

the thing is people become complacent and just plod along thinking the job is going to be there forever and it is their right to a job. wheter we like it or not the world is different now and we are just a number to the powers that be. people should always have another skill they can fall back on or a back up plan. i could not sleep if all i had to rely on was the job that i currently do. its laziness basically.

if you got sacked you would not get your 74k payout and you could get yourself the sack at any point. wearing jeans with the arse cheeks cut out is a sackable offence these days.

I wear a uniform, so jeans are fully out. I respect people that respect me. We have a rare strong union. Only 2 people have lost their job since I started there. Both got plenty of warnings. Others have got the sack but then reinstated after the union has got involved.

People have always been nothing but a number. It takes some people a lifetime to realise sometimes. Nobody is employed for fun.

I am a mechanical engineer. I couldn't say I would get a job the same day as there is a lack of all types of jobs out there. What is so special about you that you would get one the same day? My skills are in demand and always will be as long as there is some type of machinery or mechanical assembly. You seem so cocksure you have something special.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Getting employment is nigh-on impossible. Believe me. Anyone thinking to the contrary is frankly deluded.

Let me tell you my story. I had my own company, importing machinery from Japan. Built it up and after 10 years or so was turning over some £6m and employing some 20 staff or so. Life was good, I drove an AMG S-Class, and my Mrs a Range Rover Vogue. Had a box at The City for friends and family, paid myself well. One day, couple of the Japanese guys fly in to see me and tell me that we’ve done so well in cultivating the UK market, they want to set up their own subsidiary. Thanks and cheerio. Gave me a gold Rolex by means of thanks and got back on the plane. So, nice expensive watch, but no business…

I took the next 6 months winding up the business. I had to sink all – and I mean all – my personal savings back into the business, sold the cars and the horrible bloody watch to pay redundancy packages to everyone on the payroll. Literally hero to zero in no time. And started job hunting.

Given all the savings had gone, I – like everyone else – still needed to pay the mortgage and feed the family. I hadn’t had a pay packet in 6 months so needed to work, whilst looking for something permanent. I applied for at least 10 jobs a day – to do anything, and I mean anything. I got a few days’ work as a delivery driver, about a fortnight cleaning dishes in a café. I’d worked as a bouncer some 20 years ago, so I got my accreditations again and did that – but could only get work in Nottingham, which kinda defeated the object as the travelling costs took a huge chunk out of what I could earn. Ultimately, I found work, but well after 6 months. It was agency work, stacking wine boxes filled with 12 bottles as they came on a conveyor at a warehouse in Crick. One box every 6 seconds. It was damn back-breaking. I took every shift I could, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the minimum wage. I stayed with that job until the Christmas when the contract finished.

Thereafter, I got no more work whatsoever for three months before getting a ‘proper’ job again. So, in nigh-on 9 months, I applied for hundreds of jobs and got a handful. Some of which only lasted a couple of days. Anyone who thinks it’s easy out there is in need of the reality check I sadly had forced upon me.

That’s all about 2 years back. I wouldn’t have thought things are much better now for those thrown into the bear-pit of the job market. I now have a job akin to the one I had a few years back. My year-end bonus is more than I could have earned in five years stacking those damn wine boxes; it's damn hard when you're on your arse, I can now see that. There’s not a day that I’m not thankful for what I have, and spare a thought for those less fortunate. As you never know what’s around the corner…

Last edited:

CJparker

Painful to read some of the stories. I moved towns for a new job, which I lost just a couple of days after moving. Luckily I was able to find somethhing else reasonably suitable, and had no mortgage of family to care for, but scary nonetheless.

Anyway, has there been any more developments in the last couple of days on the redundancy at CCFC? Last I heard some shop staff were being let g-, anything else happened?

Ashdown

I know where you are coming from MMM, I had to close my business last year after 14 years, it wasn't so dramatic a story and I came out with a few quid to keep me going but the market had dropped so much for our products, coupled with my business partner taking liberties that enough was enough. I now work for a third of the money at home on commissions from sales to some of my old clients who I switched to another company..................my golf's improved though !!:)

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Here's the thing Ashy, I wouldn't change the totality of the process for one moment, as without the lows, there's no context to appreciate the highs.

Maybe we'll say that of our brief visitation to the third-tier of English football some day?!?

lordsummerisle

Mcbrides gone? He's almost like a fixture at our club. He's been around for yes and is bloody good at his job! I hope that one isn't true!

Didn't realise we had a physio? Loads seemed to be moaning earlirer in the season that we were the only team in the league without one.

If he is still here, probably retired with exhaustion due to overwork with the bunch of sicknotes we've had over the last few years.

cloughie

Getting employment is nigh-on impossible. Believe me. Anyone thinking to the contrary is frankly deluded.

Let me tell you my story. I had my own company, importing machinery from Japan. Built it up and after 10 years or so was turning over some £6m and employing some 20 staff or so. Life was good, I drove an AMG S-Class, and my Mrs a Range Rover Vogue. Had a box at The City for friends and family, paid myself well. One day, couple of the Japanese guys fly in to see me and tell me that we’ve done so well in cultivating the UK market, they want to set up their own subsidiary. Thanks and cheerio. Gave me a gold Rolex by means of thanks and got back on the plane. So, nice expensive watch, but no business…

I took the next 6 months winding up the business. I had to sink all – and I mean all – my personal savings back into the business, sold the cars and the horrible bloody watch to pay redundancy packages to everyone on the payroll. Literally hero to zero in no time. And started job hunting.

Given all the savings had gone, I – like everyone else – still needed to pay the mortgage and feed the family. I hadn’t had a pay packet in 6 months so needed to work, whilst looking for something permanent. I applied for at least 10 jobs a day – to do anything, and I mean anything. I got a few days’ work as a delivery driver, about a fortnight cleaning dishes in a café. I’d worked as a bouncer some 20 years ago, so I got my accreditations again and did that – but could only get work in Nottingham, which kinda defeated the object as the travelling costs took a huge chunk out of what I could earn. Ultimately, I found work, but well after 6 months. It was agency work, stacking wine boxes filled with 12 bottles as they came on a conveyor at a warehouse in Crick. One box every 6 seconds. It was damn back-breaking. I took every shift I could, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the minimum wage. I stayed with that job until the Christmas when the contract finished.

Thereafter, I got no more work whatsoever for three months before getting a ‘proper’ job again. So, in nigh-on 9 months, I applied for hundreds of jobs and got a handful. Some of which only lasted a couple of days. Anyone who thinks it’s easy out there is in need of the reality check I sadly had forced upon me.

That’s all about 2 years back. I wouldn’t have thought things are much better now for those thrown into the bear-pit of the job market. I now have a job akin to the one I had a few years back. My year-end bonus is more than I could have earned in five years stacking those damn wine boxes; it's damn hard when you're on your arse, I can now see that. There’s not a day that I’m not thankful for what I have, and spare a thought for those less fortunate. As you never know what’s around the corner…

well said , i also had a business that got screwed, with less people but like you put the people i had relied first on when payng out

Also went on that agency sorting conveyor type of job for minimum wage............soul destroying and hard work

any IDIOT who thinks he can walk into a good job is in for a big big wake up call

johnamcp

Only McBride to b confirmed now, but heard today that another physio we had in his backroom staff, Becky, dealing with youths etc has gone to notts county.

It only gets worse....

Sky Blue Kid

"Shop staff to be made redundant"...This statement seems to contradict what posters were saying last week...The shop was "Heaving" and "You couldn't move in the shop"....ergo..."Full shop needs full compliment of staff", or is my logic deceiving me?:eek:

cloughie

"Shop staff to be made redundant"...This statement seems to contradict what posters were saying last week...The shop was "Heaving" and "You couldn't move in the shop"....ergo..."Full shop needs full compliment of staff", or is my logic deceiving me?:eek:

Logic and sisu are opposites and its not your logic thats deceiving you its sisu

Users who are viewing this thread