Shipley (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Not for me pick a man to mark thatโ€™s your job ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Iโ€™m sure you could put your managerial credentials to test in the real world - maybe you take us to the Champions League glory! Football Manager nor FIFA count by the way!
ย 

SkyBlueCoco88

Please put a taxi for Shipley thread up! Ffs 1 game in and we were very unlucky and matched them without Kelly Dabo and Rose in a much higher league when a team pays millions for players and the usual pick a player haters come out of the woodwork. Ffs you couldnโ€™t make it up!
My point exactly - i predicted on the blind lads podcast we would lose today and although we deserved a point I donโ€™t think anyone can argue that we gave a good account of ourselves today. Going to be a long old season
ย 

mr_monkey

My point exactly - i predicted on the blind lads podcast we would lose today and although we deserved a point I donโ€™t think anyone can argue that we gave a good account of ourselves today. Going to be a long old season

I don't think it will that bad at all, need to get that first win in quickly and if manage that in the next few weeks I think a nice boring lower mid table season for us which would do me nicely

Didn't see anything today that made me think many teams will give us a hiding and we played bloody well for a long period of the game, just their experienced heads and better fitness proved too much in the end but both of those will come for us with more games.

I'm more confident about the season this evening than I was this morning
ย 

stupot07

Plenty of top coaches also are not a fan of it but then some are depends on the players your dealing with also
I remember Liverpool a few years ago playing it and always conceding and getting hammered on MOTD about it. Its a bit different when you have a Van Dijk in your defence.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
ย 

Mucca Mad Boys

Well then thats Robins fault for doing zonal marking then.

We were good at defending set-pieces last season. If we continue to concede soft goals from set-pieces, weโ€™ll review it down the line.

Donโ€™t get me wrong, I am surprised we didnโ€™t pick up that they had a centre back, and probably one of their best headers at the far post.
ย 

cc84cov

I remember Liverpool a few years ago playing it and always conceding and getting hammered on MOTD about it. Its a bit different when you have a Van Dijk in your defence.

Exactly

A lot of top coaches donโ€™t believe in it
ย 

Sky Blue Pete

He almost headed it off his chest . Whipped ball in so marosi wouldnโ€™t and shouldnโ€™t have come. Defenders underneath and shipley and Giles watched the guy mishead it in
ย 

letsallsingtogether

Pretty sure it was Hyam's man

Why would Shipley be marking an opposition CB and not Hyam?
Because they need a scapegoat.
We played really well and they have to find one player to blame for every mistake.
Fuck me forward line should have had 3 more goals but hey it was Shipleys fault they all missed.
ย 

Sky Blue Pete

Because they need a scapegoat.
We played really well and they have to find one player to blame for every mistake.
Fuck me forward line should have had 3 more goals but hey it was Shipleys fault they all missed.
Yep surprised Godden missed the two chances second half. Some great defending by them to block them
ย 

Sky Blue Harry H

We lost and the first thing you do is start a thread about Shipley, why?

This. We are going to lose some games this season. Are we going to start a 'hate' thread about different players each time? We have had a couple of fabulous seasons and yet people want to find scapegoats. Part of our success has been the bond within the team and with the fans, MR isn't an idiot and will make his own decisions about players. What we need to do is support, not start trying to rip into players on Day 1. No need. Similar to that lad on twitter rounding on JJ. Why?
ย 

Mucca Mad Boys

Yep surprised Godden missed the two chances second half. Some great defending by them to block them

He knew he botched the chance COH set him up with. His goal was good so Iโ€™m not going to complain too much!

Tyler Walker and Gooden linked up quite well in the end. Our midfield just ran out of legs and we lost our two most influential midfield players on the day.
ย 

ccfcway

This. We are going to lose some games this season. Are we going to start a 'hate' thread about different players each time? We have had a couple of fabulous seasons and yet people want to find scapegoats. Part of our success has been the bond within the team and with the fans, MR isn't an idiot and will make his own decisions about players. What we need to do is support, not start trying to rip into players on Day 1. No need. Similar to that lad on twitter rounding on JJ. Why?

2 more defeats and a the usual suspects will be questioning robins
ย 

Speedies_Chips

Someone who goves everything for the club unlike you. One match and your all ready moaning and attacking a player.
Giving everything for the club doesnโ€™t make you good enough. People on here using the word haters a lot. I donโ€™t hate anyone, Iโ€™m just saying just being ok isnโ€™t enough at this level. Itโ€™s a tough league. I want Shipley to do well but I didnโ€™t think he was good enough for league 1 never mind the championship. Itโ€™s not personal. I know Robins knows more about football than I ever will but as I said in my opening post, I canโ€™t see what others are seeing.
ย 

Brighton Sky Blue

Giving everything for the club doesnโ€™t make you good enough. People on here using the word haters a lot. I donโ€™t hate anyone, Iโ€™m just saying just being ok isnโ€™t enough at this level. Itโ€™s a tough league. I want Shipley to do well but I didnโ€™t think he was good enough for league 1 never mind the championship. Itโ€™s not personal. I know Robins knows more about football than I ever will but as I said in my opening post, I canโ€™t see what others are seeing.

Kelly going off as early as he did wasn't planned for and with Sheaf not quite ready it was Shipley who got thrown in out of his usual position. The fact is we're pissed off at losing a game we should've won away against one of the better sides in the league-need a bit of perspective as he wasn't noticeably worse than many others we had out.
ย 

Hobo

People often focus on shots, dribbling, passing and tackling. Just on the ball stuff, because they just follow the ball.

They don't always see runs off the ball, back tracking their man, closing play down. Basically the knackering work.

Thats why alot of our midfield were knackered after 70 minutes. Playing against a better quality opposition to last year with a higher fitness level.

Our early finish
If Iโ€™m being honest Iโ€™ve never been convinced by Shipley. He doesnโ€™t influence the match enough for a central midfielder.
However to his credit he continues to improve and seems like a good lad to have around the changing room.

He doeshave an eye for goal and I think he needs to focus on becoming a goal scoring box to box midfielder who runs beyond the strikers .... if he does he may just surprise me as well as others

Amazing how many people raved about the potential of Ponticelli who barely scraped 35 appearances for various clubs. Yet Shipley is 96 odd for Coventry. Both practically the same age bn Sept and 22 years.

Shipley has seen the bad times and the good at Cov. He has been part of our journey. Stepping up to the Championship this season and still learning his trade.

Fans give him a break. He runs his legs off and does a lot without the ball and when we are out of possession; a point for all the ball watchers out there.
ย 

Sky Blue Harry H

2 more defeats and a the usual suspects will be questioning robins

I know - laughable. It will be a few weeks before (barring more injuries) this team settles, with Rose and Dabo acclimatising. MR should stay whatever happens this season. I was just chuckling at West ham losing 2-0 to Newcastle (CW scored!) and bringing on 3 subs who had cost ยฃ98m between them ! I can see West Ham not winning a game in their first 7. Moyes looks a good shout for the first manager to be sacked in the PL!
ย 

Legia Sky Blue

Shipley is fine playing a defensive midfield role while we are on top, but when we are not we need someone with the defensive discipline which Kelly brings. In regard to their 2nd goal Shipley was caught out by Hyam being drawn into the ball and it going over his head, which made it look more Shipleys fault than it actually was. He does struggle to last much beyond 60 minutes but does give his all.

On the OP's point about what does he bring, he would be well advised to watch our goal clips from last season, as it sounds like he made his mind up about Shipley a long time ago and won't be budged from that viewpoint. A prime example of confirmation bias! Shipley can see a pass, and when played further forward brings a natural balance to our team being left sided which brings our left wing back more into attacking play. He also offers something different with the scoring threat from his strong left foot and his well timed late runs into the box. Those strengths mean he is worth persevering with, while given his young age his weaknesses can be worked on, and his game improved.
ย 

stevefloyd

If Iโ€™m being honest Iโ€™ve never been convinced by Shipley. He doesnโ€™t influence the match enough for a central midfielder.
However to his credit he continues to improve and seems like a good lad to have around the changing room.

He doeshave an eye for goal and I think he needs to focus on becoming a goal scoring box to box midfielder who runs beyond the strikers .... if he does he may just surprise me as well as others
In all the seasons Ive seen him play he's never shown he has the engine for a box to box midfielder
ย 

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Probably because Shipley lost his man for the 2nd goal...schoolboy.

If you watch the video of the goal as the corner is swung in we've got a player (Hyam I think) standing exactly in the spot their player scores from. He then moves towards the ball to challenge so we've got two players challenging one of theirs. Ball sails over his head into the space he vacated leaving an unchallenged header.

If we're playing a zonal marking system then he left his zone and it should be his responsibility. If we're playing a man marking system then Shipley was never near enough to his man from the start and he should never have got the run into that space in the first place. From the looks of it we were playing the former, which I'm not a fan of at all.

However, I think it's far more constructive to look at it as a team. Everyone made errors at some point. If anyone at all had been switched on in the first 30 seconds we wouldn't have conceded the first. If we'd taken the chances that came our way it wouldn't have mattered. If on some other chances we'd played the ball more accurately or a bit quicker we could have created further chances to score. Was it a wrong tactical decision to put the second striker on and lose some control of midfield? Was it a tactical error to zonal mark at set pieces?

To concentrate solely on Shipley for that one goal, which wasn't even solely his fault, is ludicrous and just looking for a scapegoat using the tired 'some refuse to criticise him because he's 'one of our own' excuse as justification. The vast majority of fans know Shipley has areas he definitely needs to improve on, such as his tackling and ability to last 90 minutes. Most fans are asking the question of whether it should be him or Allen playing - hardly looks like fans can see no wrong in him if most aren't even convinced he's a starter.
ย 

DannyThomas_1981

I think that's exactly the role that Shippers plays Deity. He scored many important goals in that identical position last season and linked well with Godden.

Yesterday on a needs must basis he was thrown into action to cover Kelly in a more defensive role.

Don't automatically think he's a starter this season given the competition for places - but I do think we'll see him feature a lot at various times. As you say a goal scoring midfielder is very valuable.
ย 

DannyThomas_1981

Classic SBT:

Lose by a late goal after playing well

Usual suspects need to find a scapegoat

Identify one player apparently at fault in one moment of the game and start a taxi type thread for that player (because apparently that really helps the team and the geniuses on here know better than Robins and the coaches)

In good news though - it is really encouraging to see some of the nonsense being called out on here today.
ย 

cc84cov

People rave about Jamie Allen did anyone see Allen play holding midfield in pre season ? He looked like a fish out of water Shipley done ok for a short spell then fell away,donโ€™t forget fitness levels are not where they need to be Bristol played competitively 6 weeks ago we played properly 6 months ago and that showed yesterday second half.
ย 

Kieranp96

I rate him as a advance midfielder but he can't defend, let's to many people bypass him aswell as not being aware enough.
ย 

Magwitch

Shipley played well as usual, what was evident is Bristol who for an hour were totally outplayed in midfield were able to bring on quality substitutes and change their tactics nullifying our midfield dominance and exploit our fatigue. Iโ€™m sure that will get improve with games.
ย 

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

At this level everyone needs to be at the races for 90 minutes. Shipley is one player who whilst he tries hard, does have similar attributes in Westbrooke as being someone who frequently bottles tackles and lacks any real physical side to his game. If he has been put on in a certain position you have to be committed. I think that frustrates some people and I noticed it being commented on during the game.

Zonal marking or not, I think some people are desperate to try and defend him that they are making themselves look a little silly.

1600024598789.png

Shipley looks right at the spare man here. He saw he was free and did nothing. Obviously you can argue other people defending the corner didn't do their jobs either, but you cannot argue that the zone just packed its bags and moved, which therefore wasn't Shipley's fault. Him putting his hands on his head is pretty telling I would say too.

I generally like him and his contribution to the club has been great. Our performance was also really good and I fully concur with people saying we didn't put our chances away being very costly. That certainly was the case.

Shit like this though, needs to be cut out. If we can do that and be a bit more clinical I'm sure we will have more highs than lows this season.
ย 

cc84cov

At this level everyone needs to be at the races for 90 minutes. Shipley is one player who whilst he tries hard, does have similar attributes in Westbrooke as being someone who frequently bottles tackles and lacks any real physical side to his game. If he has been put on in a certain position you have to be committed. I think that frustrates some people and I noticed it being commented on during the game.

Zonal marking or not, I think some people are desperate to try and defend him that they are making themselves look a little silly.

View attachment 16906

Shipley looks right at the spare man here. He saw he was free and did nothing. Obviously you can argue other people defending the corner didn't do their jobs either, but you cannot argue that the zone just packed its bags and moved, which therefore wasn't Shipley's fault. Him putting his hands on his head is pretty telling I would say too.

I generally like him and his contribution to the club has been great. Our performance was also really good and I fully concur with people saying we didn't put our chances away being very costly. That certainly was the case.

Shit like this though, needs to be cut out. If we can do that and be a bit more clinical I'm sure we will have more highs than lows this season.
Fact is

he wasnโ€™t committed to winning that ball for us ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ
ย 

Users who are viewing this thread