Sheaf (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

That’s just not true. Sheaf has played in every game around the same amount of time as James other than when he’s been injured.
He’s been sub for weeks he hasn’t been often when he did start he’s took off constantly,why did we even sign James tho if we had sheaf ?

shmmeee

He’s been sub for weeks he hasn’t been often when he did start he’s took off constantly

*sigh*

Norwich: Sheaf started, James came on for him on 69 min
Reading: James started, Sheaf came on for him on 79 min
Sheff Wed, Birmingham, Forest: Both started
Watford: Sheaf injured
Cardiff, Norwich: Sheaf returning from injury unused sub, James started.
Brentford: James on on 61 min, Sheaf on on 73 min
Swansea: James and Sheaf both on on 65 min

So basically they’ve played together for 5/10 games, replaced each other 2/10, Sheafs been injured once and unused sub the two following games before being back to playing together.

Frostie

Out of 31 games Sheaf has been available for he's started 21 & subbed on in 5.
Only 6 players have played more minutes.

Absolutely screams of a player the manager "doesn't fancy" 🤦🏼‍♂️

The Philosopher

Everyone has opinions on different players and everyone is entitled to them.

Sheaf, in my opinion has some talent and in the right set up with the right players around him that suit him would do well.

However, on balance, I’ve seen him lose the ball more often than is reasonable through lack of awareness.

I’ve seen the forward momentum flow often disrupted once he gets the ball, he often elects to pass back rather than skip the ball wide to a runner. This may be a confidence thing in which case he should deal with it - CCFC isn’t a charity set up to deal with those with hurty feelings. Sorry.

I’ll stand by my original opinion - I don’t get excited when Hamer or James or whoever is taken off when we are losing and Ben Sheaf is being brought on.

My opinion.

Clearly some people think Ben Sheaf is the answer - in which case that’s their opinion.

To which I’ll close - if Ben Sheaf is the answer, WTAF must the question be?

shmmeee

Everyone has opinions on different players and everyone is entitled to them.

Sheaf, in my opinion has some talent and in the right set up with the right players around him that suit him would do well.

However, on balance, I’ve seen him lose the ball more often than is reasonable through lack of awareness.

I’ve seen the forward momentum flow often disrupted once he gets the ball, he often elects to pass back rather than skip the ball wide to a runner. This may be a confidence thing in which case he should deal with it - CCFC isn’t a charity set up to deal with those with hurty feelings. Sorry.

I’ll stand by my original opinion - I don’t get excited when Hamer or James or whoever is taken off when we are losing and Ben Sheaf is being brought on.

My opinion.

Clearly some people think Ben Sheaf is the answer - in which case that’s their opinion.

To which I’ll close - if Ben Sheaf is the answer, WTAF must the question be?

Who was one of the best midfield pivots in L1 last season?

Who has the best passing range in the squad?

Who gets important blocks in around the area?

Who has one of the best passing stats in the squad?

Who has one of the best interception rates in the squad?

Who does Robins clearly rate as he’s played most games this season?

Who is the best player to gauge a fans ability to actually judge a footballer?

Take your pick.

Magwitch

We have changed tact a bit with a higher press and trying to move the ball quicker through midfield Sheaf is more ponderous and suited the slower build ups. 50/50 for me whether we should sign him I like him and he has ability but i prefer a more mobile centre midfield whether he can adapt not sure but that’s for the manager to decide.

TomRad85

Oh Christ, the Sheaf haters are out again i see. Very strange.. we have far worse players in the squad, I can name some if you like?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offhegoes

I like Sheaf. Touch of class about him, and think he could be a top player. Hope we do sign him. Matty James has done a job, but I wouldn't be going after him come the end of the season (if we stay up). He'll want big wages, has a spotty injury record, and I think we have enough with Sheaf, Kelly & Eccles. Maybe look to bring in a young player to compete for those positions. I think it's clear we need a centre forward, attacking midfiielder, left wing back, and a couple of centre backs.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'd like to see him on a decent flat pitch. Playing where he does on the iffy pitches (given that about 75% are ropey at the moment, factoring in 50% at The Trillion) must affect what is clearly a passing type of player, Like Otis said, he seems to lack a bit of pace, but given the roaming, busy other type players, we need someone of his ilk in the middle (Kelly won't last forever and we don't know how long James is here for). He is young and should improve. Let's see him on a nice flat Ricoh pitch!!

stay_up_skyblues

I'd like to see him on a decent flat pitch. Playing where he does on the iffy pitches (given that about 75% are ropey at the moment, factoring in 50% at The Trillion) must affect what is clearly a passing type of player, Like Otis said, he seems to lack a bit of pace, but given the roaming, busy other type players, we need someone of his ilk in the middle (Kelly won't last forever and we don't know how long James is here for). He is young and should improve. Let's see him on a nice flat Ricoh pitch!!

I was on board until you said “nice flat Ricoh pitch” 🤣

shmmeee

I think a lot of the dislike of Sheaf comes from us being in the shit leagues for so long people have genuinely forgotten what a classy midfield pivot/deep lying playmaker looks like. If it isn’t Micky Doyle biting your ankles then they ain’t interested.

Also his legs are too long.

stay_up_skyblues

For me he’s looked at his best after a prolonged run as a starter. Did ok last night but shouldn’t be judged on sub appearances, especially after a lay off. Same as Walker. Both need a good run of 10 games from the start and at full fitness to get up to speed before you can really make a call. Same as any player. I think he has the attributes and will prove to be a good player.

This lauding or writing players off when they haven’t had a sustained run is tedious and unfair. On that note, Gyo just doesn’t offer anything for me. Far too slow and gives the ball away too often 😉

Liquid Gold

If we keep the 4 midfielders we have this year into next season I'll be very happy.
I'm assuming you mean in the deep lying roles as we desperately need someone to compliment/compete with O'Hare.

Also at the moment I wouldn't sign James. His wages and injury history make it a big risk given that, although playing reasonably well, he's bought very little to the team.

SBT

Who was one of the best midfield pivots in L1 last season?
LIAM WALSH

Who has the best passing range in the squad?
GUSTAVO HAMER

Who gets important blocks in around the area?
KYLE MCFADZEAN

Who has one of the best passing stats in the squad?
JAMIE ALLEN

Who has one of the best interception rates in the squad?
SAM MCCALLUM

Who does Robins clearly rate as he’s played most games this season?
MAX BIAMOU

Who is the best player to gauge a fans ability to actually judge a footballer?
GERVANE KASTANEER

How did I do?

fernandopartridge

when he gave it away it wasn’t on him either in my opinion, the receiving player who I couldnt make out on my iPad screen, let it come to him and the defender nicked in front.

Sheaf is massively underrated by many, It Maybe controversial but I actually think that on natural talent he is our best all round footballer, maybe he doesn’t get to showcase it as well because of the level of our squad and the battle we are in, but he is a proper baller.

It was O'Hare

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's just people with limited football knowledge that don't understand how different players play different roles/styles. It's like Sheaf is a centre mid so needs to be able to what both Hamer & Kelly do combined to at least the same standard.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

If it were wouldn't these people be complaining Kelly doesn't do what Hamer does and vice versa as well as what they can do? People realise midfielders do different things. At this moment in time it's difficult to say exactly what Sheaf is meant to be doing so any criticism will come from varied angles. Is he meant to be someone like Kelly? In which case he doesn't break up play enough. Is he meant to be a creative, passing player, in which case he can be too ponderous on the ball. Some people just haven't been able to pin down exactly what he's meant to do.

It seems to me he's a player who can play the ball, as you'd probably expect from an Arsenal graduate, but having spent much of his career in U23 he's not got up to the speed required to do the job as effectively as he could - he takes a bit too long and either we lose attacking impetus or he loses the ball too often. A bit like one of our previous Arsenal graduates - Stephen Hughes.

Given a bit of time and experience that may well come. A full pre-season working on things within the squad and he may improve significantly for next season. Eccles has come on leaps and bounds after his stint on loan.

He's not exactly doing enough to suggest he deserves to be a starter, but at the same time he's not been awful enough that we should be trying to get out of the deal. Hamer's loss of form recently may give him more opportunities and James hasn't been the fill-in for Kelly we hoped in terms of organising and leadership etc.

TomRad85

Can't stand our fans, honestly some of the most ludicrous cunts in the country. Absolutely clueless when it comes to football and presumably everything else.
c7d3f14d040bfcb1c68fc24caff33a40.jpg

Frostie

Is he meant to be someone like Kelly? In which case he doesn't break up play enough. Is he meant to be a creative, passing player, in which case he can be too ponderous on the ball. Some people just haven't been able to pin down exactly what he's meant to do.

The last point is right, our fans don't understand his type of player so unfairly criticise.
Do Man City fans criticise Ilkay Gundogan because he's not as defensive minded as Fernandinho or as creative as KDB?
No, because they're intelligent enough to realise he's a different type of player.

Sheaf is a deep lying playmaker. Capable of breaking up play & is very effective at it but can also take the ball from the keeper & CBs & accurately progress it wide to the wing-backs or into O'Hare & the strikers which, again he's very effective at.

There's also a lot of misconceptions & confirmation bias based on a few errors which are latched onto but totally ignored when Hamer etc. do similar (and frequently far worse).

Sheaf actually breaks up play far more than Kelly & his Passing Accuracy is the best in the squad, both short & long. The idea that he frequently gives it away is utter myth.

He's literally just turned 23, younger than the likes of Shipley & still developing. His signing is a coup for us.

Hertsccfc

The last point is right, our fans don't understand his type of player so unfairly criticise.
Do Man City fans criticise Ilkay Gundogan because he's not as defensive minded as Fernandinho or as creative as KDB?
No, because they're intelligent enough to realise he's a different type of player.

Sheaf is a deep lying playmaker. Capable of breaking up play & is very effective at it but can also take the ball from the keeper & CBs & accurately progress it wide to the wing-backs or into O'Hare & the strikers which, again he's very effective at.

There's also a lot of misconceptions & confirmation bias based on a few errors which are latched onto but totally ignored when Hamer etc. do similar (and frequently far worse).

Sheaf actually breaks up play far more than Kelly & his Passing Accuracy is the best in the squad, both short & long. The idea that he frequently gives it away is utter myth.

He's literally just turned 23, younger than the likes of Shipley & still developing. His signing is a coup for us.
I agree. These are the sort of people who shout forward all the time at matches.

I believe even if we had DeBruyne some of our fans would criticise him for playing too many square passes.

Sheaf for £750,000 is a bargain. He is not the finished article but I think we would find it hard to find a better young player at that cost.

SBAndy

Can't stand our fans, honestly some of the most ludicrous cunts in the country. Absolutely clueless when it comes to football and presumably everything else.
c7d3f14d040bfcb1c68fc24caff33a40.jpg

God, don’t remind me of the days of Yukubo.

Users who are viewing this thread