Season ticket sales (1 Viewer)

Otis

Sunderland prices are exactly the same as ours. His point was that lack of money would apply in Sunderland and Coventry in equal measure. So it’s clearly nothing to do with money.
It's obviously so much more to do with us being such abject failures for so, so long.

People have found other things to do on a Saturday. One trip to Wembley and the odd game here and there is not a problem, but it's a big commitment for ST and going up every week.

I'm not defending it, but you can clearly see where it's gone wrong and I do think it would take another promotion to truly bring a lot of people back.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Have said all along it's nothing to do with the price or the owners. SISU go and it will get loads of media attention and some hype and the gates will go up for a few games at most then come back down.

You only have to look at the Gillingham game when we returned and then the games afterwards to see that.

In terms of comparing it to Wembley, I know at least 30 people who went who have absolutely no intention of going to games next season so it's a bit of a false statistic.

Evo1883

Next season if we fail to reach levels our wonderful fanbase demand , they will call for robins head , they will want to know where the January recruits are , they will demand we pay money for top players at that level and il just sit back and think .... fuck you

skybluetony176

I don’t get this notion that we took 35+K to Wembley therefore we should sell more season tickets than we have. Yes some will always turn up for a glory game but there also would have been a lot there who have match packages, a lot who do a couple or a handful of games a season. Prolonged success is the only thing that will drive attendances up. On that basis last season was a blip not the norm.

chiefdave

Sunderland have been mismanaged for years and we all know how that can sap the enthusiasm out of the support
Pompey went from winning the FA Cup and playing European football against the likes of AC Milan to League 2 in 5 years yet their fans still showed up. Average of over 12K the season they went down and over 15K the following year in L2.

Otis

to me that should give us more of a boost not less.
Sunderland have been mismanaged for years and we all know how that can sap the enthusiasm out of the support.
It takes time, Clint. It's not an instant fix.

We are a league higher, but still playing Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury and Walsall, not Villa and Birmingham and Leeds and Forest and Derby.

It will take time. We have been so crap I don't think just one promotion is suddenly going to get everyone just flooding back in an instance.

ajsccfc

I'm not hugely surprised by this to be honest, I remember the incredible excitment about getting tickets for that Gillingham game back at the Ricoh and then having the wind taken out of my sails by the emptiness of the very next game.

If we can show that we've got momentum on our side next season though and are actually building something I think that will make a hell of a difference. Too many false dawns in recent years.

luwalla

The affordability argument one is weak. my phone rang off the hook for tickets to the play off final, from people that id constantly tried to drag up there through the season & who "couldn't be arsed" ( or were "already going up to watch Liverpool or Man Utd that weekend sorry" )

They paid £60 a Wembley ticket , £50 for train travel, £250 for a hotel for the night, and surely spent at least a oner up there over two days. thats the cost of a whole season of football right there that they were happy to spend in one day. Glory boys all the way im afraid ( not often we can accuse cov fans of that !! hahaha )

I understand that wont be the case for everyone , but id suggest that a large portion of the 40k attending both Wembley trips will be guilty

Last edited:

Otis

I'm not hugely surprised by this to be honest, I remember the incredible excitment about getting tickets for that Gillingham game back at the Ricoh and then having the wind taken out of my sails by the emptiness of the very next game.

If we can show that we've got momentum on our side next season though and are actually building something I think that will make a hell of a difference. Too many false dawns in recent years.
Exactly.

If we struggle in League One the fans will not want to come and watch us.

Too many false dawns.

We start doing well in League One the attendances will rise. It takes time and can't just be fixed by one single promotion from the bottom league.

Londonccfcfan

Fact is only a percentage of our away fans (Which is amazing support at even championship level) are season ticket holders.

I know dozens that rather do away games than home at the Ricoh. Which is a huge Shane cos all we are doing is filling oppos coffers instead of ours!

Evo1883

I think off the back of promotion , a city of coventrys size and the current feel good factor around the club that 7-8000 is a decent return on STs(although not amazing) and an average attendance of 13-15000 , that isn’t alot to ask for

ajsccfc

Exactly.

If we struggle in League One the fans will not want to come and watch us.

Too many false dawn's.

We start doing well in League One the attendances will rise. It takes time and can't just be fixed by one single promotion from the bottom league.

Agree with this in particular. As great as it was to go up, there was also a sense of it being the minimum expectation and a justified anger that we were ever in league 2 in the first place. If we can challenge for promotion to the Championship though, that feels like a completely different story.

Otis

Have said all along it's nothing to do with the price or the owners. SISU go and it will get loads of media attention and some hype and the gates will go up for a few games at most then come back down.

You only have to look at the Gillingham game when we returned and then the games afterwards to see that.

In terms of comparing it to Wembley, I know at least 30 people who went who have absolutely no intention of going to games next season so it's a bit of a false statistic.
Yup.

On my coach some of the fans couldn't understand the booing at the end of the game.

Someone said they were booing Tim Fisher and they said 'Who's he?'

Grendel

Londonccfcfan

I think off the back of promotion , a city of coventrys size and the current feel good factor around the club that 7-8000 is a good return on STs(although not amazing) and an average attendance of 13-15000 , that isn’t alot to ask for

Still a month or two before season starts. I think 6k would be fantastic. That would be a 33% rise on last year. I think it's unreasonable to expect it to get 50 to 75% rise from last year.

clint van damme

It takes time, Clint. It's not an instant fix.

We are a league higher, but still playing Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury and Walsall, not Villa and Birmingham and Leeds and Forest and Derby.

It will take time. We have been so crap I don't think just one promotion is suddenly going to get everyone just flooding back in an instance.

I'm not expecting 15,000 Otis but the current sales are really disappointing.
I appreciate that there is still time to go and then we have the match packages but even so I really did expect more.

NortonSkyBlue

One of the things that has pissed me off is how Wasps could walk in to our City and fill the Ricoh on many occasions
( yes free tickets ect...)
I wont look to criticize the ones that put their money where their mouth is but yes it is very disappointing that more haven't got behind the club. Its time to make it about the badge, the team, the City.
We can't compete if players like McNulty are enticed away because we wont be able to finance him staying or better options arriving on the pitch.

Evo1883

Luton Town had sold 5600 season tickets by 31st may .

Just embarrassing honestly

Grendel

Except that some people are agreeing with me.

It's not worth arguing about. We should do better but it is obvious to see why we aren't.

No quick fix. Give it time.

No one agreed on the fans have no money argument - that’s just an excuse and not logical. Sunderland isn’t Alderley Edge

Warwickhunt

how many people have now had two extremely good days out at Wembley and do not hold a season ticket? the main reason why we had so many is because the current season ticket holders could get 6 tickets each who in turn took either their family or friends so why can't they do the same for the league and convince others to commit?

Otis

I'm not expecting 15,000 Otis but the current sales are really disappointing.
I appreciate that there is still time to go and then we have the match packages but even so I really did expect more.
Me too.

I was thinking about 8,000 to be honest.

We have only just got out of the bottom league though. Not saying I agree with some people's logic, but I can understand why they are reluctant still.

I think there would be a steep rise if we got to the Championship. So many mouthwatering ties to be had there and if it were now we would have local derbies against Villa, Brum and the Baggies.

Otis

No one agreed on the fans have no money argument - that’s just an excuse and not logical. Sunderland isn’t Alderley Edge

Ah, you have tied yourself up in knots there, Grendel.

You didn't say the money argument wasn't logical, you said my arguments (plural) weren't logical and I made quite a few arguments and not just about money.

Reactions: vow

Grendel

Logical to me also, so Otis isn't alone.

The fact fans is coventry have no money but they do in Sunderland?

Grendel

Ah, you have tied yourself up in knots there, Grendel.

You didn't say the money argument wasn't logical, you said my arguments (plural) weren't logical and I made quite a few arguments and not just about money.

You made another wierd argument about promotion and upward movement is not as much a positive as a club getting relegated.

That’s odd. Our sales slumped massively every time we got relegated

Nick

Administrator
how many people have now had two extremely good days out at Wembley and do not hold a season ticket? the main reason why we had so many is because the current season ticket holders could get 6 tickets each who in turn took either their family or friends so why can't they do the same for the league and convince others to commit?

Because people aren't really interested. When it comes to a Wembley trip as A ST holder you hear off people who you haven't heard off for ages who are seeing if you can get a ticket. When it comes to league games you can't give tickets away to them most of the time.

I don't think anybody at all needed convincing to go to Wembley, try getting them to a League Game in November and it's a different story.

Evo1883

Plymouth argyle are capping their season tickets at 7000 , so another team that has sold more

Users who are viewing this thread