Season Ticket Sales (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

I am sure it is a mixture of people who go every week and people who don't go. Who say the negative things.
It doesn't matter to me whether they go or not. What annoys me is this bull###t that some how Coventry is any different to any other club and hence have worse fans.
It's just not correct

It's like when people slag off the city itself.
I have been to the majority of the cities in the UK.

Coventry as a city is just average. There are better cities out there and there are far more worse cities.

It is certainly not the s##thole that some make out.

If you listen to some you would think it is one of the worse cities in the country.

Negative self perpetuating crap

Grendel

I am sure it is a mixture of people who go every week and people who don't go. Who say the negative things.
It doesn't matter to me whether they go or not. What annoys me is this bull###t that some how Coventry is any different to any other club and hence have worse fans.
It's just not correct

Coventry as a city is just average. There are better cities out there and there are far more worse cities.

If you listen to some you would think it is one of the worse cities in the country.

Yawn yawn

Nick

Administrator
It's just not correct

So people are that negative they go up to as many games as physically possible and spending money in the shop on CCFC stuff etc? Now lets compare that to somebody set at home refusing to go and making as many excuses as possible not to go. Which is negative?

Surely of course it matters about who is being negative? You should be wanting as many people as possible to go and watch their team, that is being positive. Instead you keep coming on here finding reasons for people not to support their team and why the club is wrong about everything etc etc yet you call others negative?

You are the one stating how we have great fans and when questioned why you spurt out the negative line.

NorthernWisdom

Investment from the owners...

It helps doesn't it...

But the answr's not that simple. Even if we go back 30+ years to Jimmy Hill's time as chairman (he may have been a great manager, less a chairman!) then the club's disenfranchised itself making the ground all-seater (now *that* ripped out a hardcore following at a stroke!), building the Connexion while selling players to fnd it, investing in US franchises...

Even John Poynton didn't exactly make it a community club... and as for Robinson, Richardson and co. And that's before we even get to the current jokers!

Now we're not alone in all that, but we've hardly made ourselves part of the city in a visible way.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think the difference was when they went down the owners did everything in their power to get them out of the league ASAP - in the right direction, that is UP to the championship not down to L2. What did ours do? Started a massive row with ACL, CCC. Higgs Charity, fans, lost a good manager in Robins, then took us to Northampton. I think getting as many as we do is testament to how good, in fact how GREAT some of our fans are.

I still have not forgiven SISU and if they want me back, either give me some hope that CCFC has regained some ambition, and start to act like a football club, not school kids, or pee off!

Absolutely spot on - we have owners who appear hell bent on destroying the club. In the minds of long suffering city fans who don't go any more this is what the problem is and it is unique to our club - whether this is true or not isn't the issue, but it is why they don't go any more.

Nick

Administrator
Absolutely spot on - we have owners who appear hell bent on destroying the club. In the minds of long suffering city fans who don't go any more this is what the problem is and it is unique to our club - whether this is true or not isn't the issue, but it is why they don't go any more.

Surely whether it is true or not should be an issue though?

I could go say I am going to refuse to go because I was once scouted by the club to play up front and was just about to make my debut and SISU refused to pay me 30k a week so I cancelled. It isn't true though, but it is my reason.

I don't think we are going silly all out, but we have had a decent budget for the league a couple of years running now and now a decent manager. Who knows what the budget would be if we had 10,000 season tickets instead of 5,000?

People don't go to support the owners, they go to support the team, the manager, the badge.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Surely whether it is true or not should be an issue though?

I could go say I am going to refuse to go because I was once scouted by the club to play up front and was just about to make my debut and SISU refused to pay me 30k a week so I cancelled. It isn't true though, but it is my reason.

I don't think we are going silly all out, but we have had a decent budget for the league a couple of years running now and now a decent manager. Who knows what the budget would be if we had 10,000 season tickets instead of 5,000?

People don't go to support the owners, they go to support the team, the manager, the badge.

Whether it's true or not , if that is what convinces someone then it may be enough to determine they don't go. People decided not to go to Northampton because of the owner's decision to move us: that was more important than the team.

covcity4life

moving to sixfields was a HUGE thing tho

not going because baker got sold or something else sisu have done is a DUMB thing.

but the biggest thing is still the fact that we have been boring to watch for a long long time now. i cant remember a good season since when coleman was here and we flirted with the playoffs.

we either lose because we are pushovers or we lose ebcause we are crap. last year we were insanely boring to boot.

let mogga resolve that and i think fans will come back.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Tbf dongon saying we are average is probably the most sensible thing he has has said in the last 6 months, there are a lot of teams better than us in terms of support, success and position and there are also quite a few teams worse than us. Average out of 92 clubs would roughly be 40-55 position which essentially puts us as a bottom half championship club/ strong league 1 club which I think is about right now for where we should be.
It's those who have delusions of grandeur and believe we are a natural premier club/sleeping giant/great club that need a reality check, in the context of English football we're not.

SlowerThanPlatt

Tbf dongon saying we are average is probably the most sensible thing he has has said in the last 6 months, there are a lot of teams better than us in terms of support, success and position and there are also quite a few teams worse than us. Average out of 92 clubs would roughly be 40-55 position which essentially puts us as a bottom half championship club/ strong league 1 club which I think is about right now for where we should be.
It's those who have delusions of grandeur and believe we are a natural premier club/sleeping giant/great club that need a reality check, in the context of English football we're not.

Well that isn't true. Over time we are the 20th best supported team in the country with the table I'm looking at. Probably dropped a few places now though cause it was made in 2012 and our attendances haven't been high since then.

So what do you say to that? It's pointless comparing now, you're comparing us at our lowest position in our existence (losing to Worcester and near relegation to L2) to teams who have had far more success and entertainment recently.

Grendel

Well that isn't true. Over time we are the 20th best supported team in the country with the table I'm looking at. Probably dropped a few places now though cause it was made in 2012 and our attendances haven't been high since then.

So what do you say to that? It's pointless comparing now, you're comparing us at our lowest position in our existence (losing to Worcester and near relegation to L2) to teams who have had far more success and entertainment recently.

It's not the lowest point in our existence.

SkyBlue_Bear83

History won't help us get promoted. Be interesting to see where would we will be in another 30 years in that table. Poor attendances, no money and no stadium, other big clubs have been this low before but they've always had the platform and infrastructure to bounce back and push forward(Norwich, Southampton, Leicester, Forest, Sheffield Wendesday etc.). Promotions and success doesn't just happen because of history, we don't have the platform to significantly move forward again like those clubs did.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It's not the lowest point in our existence.

I've been going since 1975 and it's easily the lowest , but you are probably right if we go back further. Care to tell us ?

Grendel

I've been going since 1975 and it's easily the lowest , but you are probably right if we go back further. Care to tell us ?

We spent a year in Div 4 - also the long stay in the top flight distorts the natural position.

Average crowds are a distortion factoring it in. It's like saying over time Huddersfield and PNE are huge clubs - now they are not.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We spent a year in Div 4 - also the long stay in the top flight distorts the natural position.

Average crowds are a distortion factoring it in. It's like saying over time Huddersfield and PNE are huge clubs - now they are not.

...I think you need your horse pills at this point.

lifeskyblue

Whilst I agree it is not the lowest point in terms of league position I do think that last season was the lowest point in terms of quality and in terms of the gulf between club and fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Whilst I agree it is not the lowest point in terms of league position I do think that last season was the lowest point in terms of quality and in terms of the gulf between club and fans.

You were born 8 years after the relegation to league 4. How do you reach that judgement?

lifeskyblue

Well my father, who has been going for much longer than me...and you unless you watched them in the 1940s was so upset and disillusioned by the plight of the club over the last few years. Unfortunately he died the week after the club announced they were coming back to the Ricoh. So didn't witness the debacle that almost saw us relagayed. And yes he saw them in div 3 n&s, doc 4 etc etc. his judgement on the Sky Blues. His view that the club had never been so low is one I would believe after his 70 plus years of following his beloved club.

Grendel

Well my father, who has been going for much longer than me...and you unless you watched them in the 1940s was so upset and disillusioned by the plight of the club over the last few years. Unfortunately he died the week after the club announced they were coming back to the Ricoh. So didn't witness the debacle that almost saw us relagayed. And yes he saw them in div 3 n&s, doc 4 etc etc. his judgement on the Sky Blues. His view that the club had never been so low is one I would believe after his 70 plus years of following his beloved club.

Fair enough.

However, Most historians suggest the low point was a humiliating defeat to Kings Lynn and a subsequent relegation to the bottom tier of football.

As for quality that's a relative and irrelevant, subjective factor. If the team that lined up two seasons ago competed against the team in Goulds second season as manager I would say the sixfield 11 would beat that team far more times than they'd lose.

As for gulf with fans again subjective. Hill, who of course came in at the low ebb, was vilified as a chairman and "kill kill kill Jimmy Hill" rang from the terraces.

There was a very difficult year in the early 80's when players were openly abused in a defeat (against Ipswich I think) and one player had to flee from the ground after abuse from fans.

lifeskyblue

The great thin about football is that there are as many opinions as there are fans. Yes there have been games where the team has been a shambles and periods when I'm sure we question why we support them. But I think the sustained downward spiral, the ownership by a group that has little or no interest in football, the move away from the city of the clubs name, birthplace and traditional home as well as season after season of underachievement means that we (CFCs) are at a low and hopefully one which we will not see repeated

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Not really - just pointing out the facts. I think it's you having difficulty swallowing the truth.

Well, you are the font of all knowledge bar none on here, so give me the truth.....I'm really going to be shocked no doubt .

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Fair enough.

However, Most historians suggest the low point was a humiliating defeat to Kings Lynn and a subsequent relegation to the bottom tier of football.

As for quality that's a relative and irrelevant, subjective factor. If the team that lined up two seasons ago competed against the team in Goulds second season as manager I would say the sixfield 11 would beat that team far more times than they'd lose.

As for gulf with fans again subjective. Hill, who of course came in at the low ebb, was vilified as a chairman and "kill kill kill Jimmy Hill" rang from the terraces.

There was a very difficult year in the early 80's when players were openly abused in a defeat (against Ipswich I think) and one player had to flee from the ground after abuse from fans.

You win my award of the day for that remark. That's one of the funniest things I've read in ages. :claping hands:

steveecov

It was my dad that got me up to HR and he watched over 1000 games over 57 years. He was at the 63 Sunderland game, Wolves 67 and Wembley 87. Unfortunately in his latter years he had dementia and couldn't remember the modern team; but some old players and games still lit a faint happy memory.

I took my son and one of my daughters (whose favourite player was Hadji; her signed shirt is framed and on show in her house). She has since took her daughter. Sixfields was the final straw.

CCFC was always about the team, the fans, and feeling part of the community; Hell we WERE the community.

Hope TM can bring a little of those pleasurable times we used to have. Winning games would be nice, but bringing pride back would be better. I cant attend anymore, but in my heart I'm still at Filbert St, Moulineux, Upton Park 2nd leg, Old Trafford singing "We came in a taxi". Tough times on the terraces and getting home. Wembley; leaving my pregnant wife with 2 kids in tow at Gatwick, flying to Majorca that night and being the only City fan on the Gatwick express after the game.

Really hoping for an improvement this year. Wish I could be there. My head says 11th or 12th this year; my heart says 90+ points promotion. Good luck TM. PUSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ccfc1234

It was my dad that got me up to HR and he watched over 1000 games over 57 years. He was at the 63 Sunderland game, Wolves 67 and Wembley 87. Unfortunately in his latter years he had dementia and couldn't remember the modern team; but some old players and games still lit a faint happy memory.

I took my son and one of my daughters (whose favourite player was Hadji; her signed shirt is framed and on show in her house). She has since took her daughter. Sixfields was the final straw.

CCFC was always about the team, the fans, and feeling part of the community; Hell we WERE the community.

Hope TM can bring a little of those pleasurable times we used to have. Winning games would be nice, but bringing pride back would be better. I cant attend anymore, but in my heart I'm still at Filbert St, Moulineux, Upton Park 2nd leg, Old Trafford singing "We came in a taxi". Tough times on the terraces and getting home. Wembley; leaving my pregnant wife with 2 kids in tow at Gatwick, flying to Majorca that night and being the only City fan on the Gatwick express after the game.

Really hoping for an improvement this year. Wish I could be there. My head says 11th or 12th this year; my heart says 90+ points promotion. Good luck TM. PUSB

[/QUOTE]

Some great memories shame I too young to remember 87 but like u still think we could be great again. Pride is an interesting concept and community our engagement could be huge. My worry is we are more interested in judges wigs than the wider picture of what makes a football club. I am all for suing the council and hope we win but SISU need to smarten up and realise money spent on engaging more fans will get repaid and more if we have even a sniff of success.

skybluetony176

Fair enough.

Didn't Goulds teams spank liverpool during both his stint's as manager when Liverpool were leading the table?

Skyblueweeman

Didn't Goulds teams spank liverpool during both his stint's as manager when Liverpool were leading the table?

I might be getting my years mixed up but I recall us beating them 5-1 at HR which I think was Stig Inge Bjornabe's first game for Liverpool.

We also beat them 3-1 at Anfield with Ndlovu scoring what was at the time, the last hat-trick against Liverpool by a visiting player.

Not sure if they were the same season though.

Users who are viewing this thread