School Protests (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

Will be welcome if it happens, given that the article mentions some of this has been promised since 2017 and hasn't been implemented I'll reserve my praise until then.

Have they said why they are introducing it now when in 2017 they voted against it and claimed it was unnecessary as existing laws covered this area?

Gove responded at the time - it was added on to the EU Withdrawal bill and they pledged to address but did not want such things clogging up Brexit.

Gove says UK law will specifically recognise animal sentience | Animal welfare | The Guardian

chiefdave

Gove responded at the time - it was added on to the EU Withdrawal bill and they pledged to address but did not want such things clogging up Brexit.

Gove says UK law will specifically recognise animal sentience | Animal welfare | The Guardian
Will certainly welcome it when it happens. They should probably have let their MPs know so they don't make statements saying its not needed when questioned on why they voted against it, 'It is self-evident that animals are sentient and UK law already recognises this fact'.

Grendel

Will certainly welcome it when it happens. They should probably have let their MPs know so they don't make statements saying its not needed when questioned on why they voted against it, 'It is self-evident that animals are sentient and UK law already recognises this fact'.

It has to now become actual law I assume so that the increasing crime of stealing dogs will carry a custodial sentence

NorthernWisdom

It has to now become actual law I assume so that the increasing crime of stealing dogs will carry a custodial sentence
Isn't it a commitment in the Queen's Speech, rather than absolute guarantee? if things come up then things can slip, can't they?

Still, it's good it's there regardless of theminutiae, and you'd assume it'd go through without much hassle too, as who would argue against it? The amendments put forward could be interesting, I guess...

I assume it also puts to bed any lingering thoughts of a vote to repeal the fox hunting ban?

Grendel

Isn't it a commitment in the Queen's Speech, rather than absolute guarantee? if things come up then things can slip, can't they?

Still, it's good it's there regardless of theminutiae, and you'd assume it'd go through without much hassle too, as who would argue against it? The amendments put forward could be interesting, I guess...

I assume it also puts to bed any lingering thoughts of a vote to repeal the fox hunting ban?

Lots of animal rights legislation likely to be on its way

skybluetony176

The fact you make apologies for barbaric religious slaughter, but in the same breath say that cartoon pictures shouldn't be allowed.
Firstly for the record all raising and slaughtering of animals for meat is barbaric and dairy is little to no better, whether it includes a religious ceremony or not is a complete irrelevant so stop talking bollocks about what I believe to be right or wrong about animal welfare. It’s all wrong. End off.

Cartoon images of Allah are offensive. That’s not my opinion, that’s fact. Show them all you like but just don’t be stupid enough to think that it should be consequence free when you’re setting out to upset one of the most widely practiced religions in the world.

Nick

Administrator
Firstly for the record all raising and slaughtering of animals for meat is barbaric and dairy is little to no better, whether it includes a religious ceremony or not is a complete irrelevant so stop talking bollocks about what I believe to be right or wrong about animal welfare. It’s all wrong. End off.

Cartoon images of Allah are offensive. That’s not my opinion, that’s fact. Show them all you like but just don’t be stupid enough to think that it should be consequence free when you’re setting out to upset one of the most widely practiced religions in the world.
No it's opinion surely?

TomRad85

chiefdave

Hope so, certainly needs to be tougher penalties. Although as recently as January the government were resisting calls to make changes to the law so I'm not too hopeful.
Current court sentencing guidelines for theft already take into account the emotional distress that theft of a family pet can have on owners

D

Deleted member 4439

No it's opinion surely?

Yes, it's an opinion. A person's reaction, good, bad or indifferent to the cartoon is a fact. It's also an opinion that to publish a cartoon invites violent behavior, as well as it being an opinion that such publication could never be reasonably justified as a reason for violent behaviour, and is to be utterly condemned. Similarly, it is an opinion that anybody in any condoning or excusing such behaviour is not to be excused.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrtrench

So it's the opinion of muslims then?

Not all of them; have worked with lots of sensible; laid-back Muslims over the years. Worked for one for a year or so: wonderful chap. He'd previously been not very religious, even though born into it, but then became more serious about it in his 40s. He had typical Western values.

I had a conversation with him about it once... I was suprised he took it all seriously but he did. Not the kind of person to take offence at the drop of a hat.

It's a fact that some Muslims find it offensive. It's difficult to say how many, because those that are offended tend to be very vocal about it. For others, they'll be more worried about what they do rather than concerning themselves with what other people say and do.

skybluetony176

No, it means taking offense is an opinion rather than fact.
It’s a fact that the general consensus of Islam is that it’s offensive to create an image of a prophet and has been for centuries. But a guy called Nick on a football forum isn’t personally offended so it outweighs centuries of consensus from one of the world’s most practiced religions.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It’s a fact that the general consensus of Islam is that it’s offensive to create an image of a profit and has been for centuries. But a guy called Nick on a football forum isn’t personally offended so it outweighs centuries of consensus from one of the world’s most practiced religions.

Thank God you weren't in Glasgow today. They might have taken a pair of illegal immigrants about to be deported and just release them onto the streets at your demand.

Oh wait....

mrtrench

It’s a fact that the general consensus of Islam is that it’s offensive to create an image of a profit and has been for centuries.

"Images of a profit".

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Grendel

Nick

Administrator
It’s a fact that the general consensus of Islam is that it’s offensive to create an image of a profit and has been for centuries. But a guy called Nick on a football forum isn’t personally offended so it outweighs centuries of consensus from one of the world’s most practiced religions.

No, it's an opinion of some muslims that it's offensive.

It is purely just their opinion.

You could say that it is fact that anything you can think of is offensive because somebody is offended.

D

Deleted member 4439

Can we not just all agree that however the meat was killed, it still tastes great!

No, actually, and with absolute honesty after more than thirty years my senses have changed, such that the sweet small of pig flesh (close to smell of burning human flesh I understand) is so sickly that it makes me want to gag, whilst cloying smell of cow flesh burning makes me get away from it as soon as I can.

Admittedly, the smell of poultry is less offensive.

Users who are viewing this thread