School Protests (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

In my experience Muslims like most people of faith are very open to discussing their religion. In fact my experience is they feel honour bound by their faith to do so.

So in the original context of the thread was it right for a teacher to discuss Islam with a class and indeed discuss the cartoons of Allah? Absolutely. The issue I have is that A) it didn’t need to have the cartoons shown to discuss it. B) the teacher clearly went out of his way to get the images, in doing that if he didn’t already know how controversial these images were he certainly would have learned that in an effort to find the images, then C) at no point did it occur to him that actually it wouldn’t be a good idea showing these images and actually they’re not needed to discuss them.

There’s Christians in government that still believe homosexuality is wrong. In parts of the U.K. it’s still taught as wrong, it’s curable etc. Just look at the DUP leadership competition.

I think there’s a movement now isn’t there in the U.K. amongst the Jewish community for Jews to observe the Sabbath again. The Jewish faith is multi-layered and I think most Orthodox Jews still observe it anyway. Jews also practice aniconism same as Muslims, I’m not sure to be honest if it extends to prophets as it does in Islam but images of god in any form is certainly offensive to Judaism.

Literally no communication is “necessary”, we’re all specs of carbon on a rock.

A) It absolutely enhances the learning process to have the thing you’re talking about present in the room. Maybe students hadn’t seen it and thought it was worse/better. Displaying the image ensures everyone is on the same page.

B) “went out of his way”

1300C244-2C8B-4E4C-BFB3-812D77D5252E.jpeg

Such effort.

C) It’s your opinion that it’s not a good idea and you have no idea what went through his head. Maybe, like a good teacher, he thought he should provide the best learning experience to all and not neuter it in case a few people can’t understand how education works.

The root of educate is to draw out, to bring forth, it is by definition a process of moving students beyond their comfort zone.

D

Deleted member 11652

Literally no communication is “necessary”, we’re all specs of carbon on a rock.

A) It absolutely enhances the learning process to have the thing you’re talking about present in the room. Maybe students hadn’t seen it and thought it was worse/better. Displaying the image ensures everyone is on the same page.

B) “went out of his way”

View attachment 20091

Such effort.

C) It’s your opinion that it’s not a good idea and you have no idea what went through his head. Maybe, like a good teacher, he thought he should provide the best learning experience to all and not neuter it in case a few people can’t understand how education works.

The root of educate is to draw out, to bring forth, it is by definition a process of moving students beyond their comfort zone.

Please delete that. That is really offensive I’m going to have to block you. I’m ashamed that you would display those images here

skybluetony176

I get offended when Alex Scott comes on the telly. I guess they should ban her so I don’t get upset. If they don’t I’ll murder the producer of the show that puts her on.
And is that offence part of your religion, belief system or culture?

mrtrench

Just curious what’s so offensive about a black woman who’s an ex professional footballer talking about football.

I don't know; but then that isn't my question. If we've agreed (have we?) that being deliberately unkind without justification is the issue, why would it matter what they were being unkind about?

Is calling someone Lanky who is sensitive about their height not the same as any other offense? The feelings it creates are the same for the person at the receiving end.

shmmeee

What’s a belief is an interesting topic actually and equalities law has something to say about it.

This is an ongoing dispute that has what is an acceptable belief at its heart: Maya Forstater v Centre for Global Development - Wikipedia

At its core are what makes an opinion a belief and which ones are protected. A few relevant tidbits:

The EHRC have said both belief and lack of belief is protected.

The definition of a belief is:

For a philosophical belief to be protected under the Act it must:
• be genuinely held
• be a belief and not just an opinion or viewpoint based on the present state of information available
• be about a weighty and substantial aspect of human life and behaviour
• attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance, and
• be worthy of respect in a democratic society, not incompatible with human dignity and not in conflict with fundamental rights of others. For example, Holocaust denial, or the belief in racial superiority are not protected.
Beliefs such as humanism, pacifism, vegetarianism and the belief in man-made climate change are all protected.

From: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/religion-or-belief-guide-to-the-law.pdf

hill83

For what it’s worth I wasn’t going to bother but anyway.

Religion is all bollocks.

Thanks

Hill

Bugsy

For what it’s worth I wasn’t going to bother but anyway.

Religion is all bollocks.

Thanks

Hill

is that your opinion or belief though

hill83

I also don’t believe taking offence at something said about your religion is anything like racism or even about what someone is like physically. (Fat excluded). As whether you like it or not your religion is a choice. Indoctrinated into as a child or not.

shmmeee

I also don’t believe taking offence at something said about your religion is anything like racism or even about what someone is like physically. (Fat excluded). As whether you like it or not your religion is a choice. Indoctrinated into as a child or not.

This has always been the line for me. Shit people can’t change: race, sex, age, disability should be off limits, stuff they can is fair game.

Obvious exemption for Gingers and the French.

hill83

But also, I’m a nice bloke. So wouldn’t be going out my way to offend people and would stick up for people getting shit if they were getting abuse for their religion.

hill83

This has always been the line for me. Shit people can’t change: race, sex, age, disability should be off limits, stuff they can is fair game.

That’s why I also excluded big lads. Nothing against them, some of my best mates are units etc

NorthernWisdom

But also, I’m a nice bloke. So wouldn’t be going out my way to offend people and would stick up for people getting shit if they were getting abuse for there religion.
Well that's it. It boils down to again, life is generally we all fuck up. But if it's obviously caused offence you stop it, apologise for causing said offence, and move on.

TomRad85

Fat gingers had a tougher time at school than literally anyone else... and rightly so.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

I don't know; but then that isn't my question. If we've agreed (have we?) that being deliberately unkind without justification is the issue, why would it matter what they were being unkind about?

Is calling someone Lanky who is sensitive about their height not the same as any other offense? The feelings it creates are the same for the person at the receiving end.

Now I’m just thinking of the Oggmonster

Users who are viewing this thread