School Protests (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
It is really funny seeing what some people think we do and don’t teach in school. Thanks to Michael Gove we have to teach ‘British values’ in PSHE and can no longer teach American texts in GCSE English. But yes we do also teach not to behead someone over a religious disagreement.

Do you mean American texts as in "Color" and "Specialized" ?

If so, kids are getting more and more americaniZed with the internet and youtube etc.

Ccfcisparks

It is really funny seeing what some people think we do and don’t teach in school. Thanks to Michael Gove we have to teach ‘British values’ in PSHE and can no longer teach American texts in GCSE English. But yes we do also teach not to behead someone over a religious disagreement.
To kill a mockingbird no longer on the syllabus? I enjoyed reading that at school.

Brighton Sky Blue

Do you mean American texts as in "Color" and "Specialized" ?

If so, kids are getting more and more americaniZed with the internet and youtube etc.

No I mean works by American authors, eg Of Mice and Men or To Kill A Mockingbird

jimmyhillsfanclub

Thats a shame......It was only the likes of Ginsberg, Burroughs & Kerouac that ever peaked my interest in English Lit. O level......

....not surprising really when the other texts were from Shakespeare & Joseph Conrad......ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Brighton Sky Blue

To kill a mockingbird no longer on the syllabus? I enjoyed reading that at school.

It was removed after Gove’s reforms on the basis that only texts with British authors were allowed. It can still be covered before GCSE but it has removed a lot of books I think people really should read before they leave school.

D

Deleted member 11652

Everyone’s entitled to freedom of speech it’s a cartoon ffs, hopefully the police will be fining them all

Mate as long as you’re protesting for BLM or in some anti male demonstration anything goes

shmmeee

I don't know what it's like in other schools, but an RE teacher I used to know, it was (nowadays) as much about showing the differing faiths in the world (including agnosticism/atheism) as championing one / many faith(s). That seems reasonable to me.

Depends on the school. Religious schools tend to focus on theirs in my experience and like any subject area some teachers are only comfortable with what they know and teach that.

shmmeee

Oh good, this again.

The cranks organising the protests are the kind of people which every school can do without - even local Muslim groups say they’re unhelpful and wish they’d stay home. But they do it for a reason, and to provoke a certain reaction, and as long as the same people keep giving them the ammunition they’re looking for, then it’ll probably keep happening.

Freedom of speech is paramount, of course. But there’s no harm in remembering that it has different limits for different people, and that there are better hills to die on than a secondary school RE class.

Cool cool. So when they start saying don’t teach about homosexuality or tell kids they’re going to hell we shouldn’t want to die on that hill either?

Religious groups see schools as recruitment grounds, that’s why many buy up academies. We need to get reap about that and be clear what’s appropriate to teach and which protests can be ignored or they’ll take the full mile and be banning teaching of evolution before you know it.

Nick

Administrator
Problem is, take away the right to protest, and we really are heading down a dark path. You can police *how* the protest takes place, of course.

Can still protest without standing close together in big crowds surely? Especially in this day and age.

Just saying "it's a protest" shouldn't be a loophole else there's no point having the rules, surely?

Sky Blue Pete

Just read it now. I think I’d gently suggest it’s ok to share an image in an educational establishment to talk about faith and belief and different views on extremism and tolerance and respect.
Anything else is the path to medieval lives of wanton violence

NorthernWisdom

Can still protest without standing close together in big crowds surely? Especially in this day and age.

Just saying "it's a protest" shouldn't be a loophole else there's no point having the rules, surely?
Well that's my point, you can police how, but the principle of being allowed to, should stay. The difficulty in that is when it's an anti lockdown protest of course...

Nick

Administrator
Well that's my point, you can police how, but the principle of being allowed to, should stay. The difficulty in that is when it's an anti lockdown protest of course...

So yeah, if they are all crowded in together when there's a lockdown then treat them the same as if it was a group of lads meeting up for a smoke or something.

Just label it a "protest" and job done.

If they were really so offended, surely a good protest would be to take their kids out of the school?

Are all these people protesting all the time booking days off work to do it?

Sky Blue Pete

So yeah, if they are all crowded in together when there's a lockdown then treat them the same as if it was a group of lads meeting up for a smoke or something.

Just label it a "protest" and job done.

If they were really so offended, surely a good protest would be to take their kids out of the school?

Are all these people protesting all the time booking days off work to do it?
I don’t understand why it’s not enough for them to follow their faith rather than protest when others don’t

Sky Blue Pete

Good point
I say it with a heavy heart knowing my Christian faith is bang to rights in terms of history and for many today still feeling the judgment from religious leaders for being gay or getting divorced or terminating a pregnancy. Let’s talk and understand not offend, shout and aggressively impose are beliefs on others

Evo1883

Yeah. Protesting is... just about fine in my eyes, if distasteful. Sticking his name on social media somewhat less so. That's surely incitement in some way.
It's clear what giving his name out all over social media is designed to do...they want some nutjob , like in France to do their dirty work and get rid of this teacher .

Nick

Administrator
I don’t understand why it’s not enough for them to follow their faith rather than protest when others don’t

Would be interesting to see how many people stood outside the school follow their faith to the letter anyway. The irony is that a fair few of them would probably smoke, drink, gamble, have a tattoo etc.

I am sure you could go through a long list of things not allowed by Islam and find they aren't actually following it properly but kick off when others don't.

Users who are viewing this thread