School Protests (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Caveat to sentient awareness on fish

I’m sure the Tonester is looking through google to copy and paste some thoughts and pretend they are his own to challenge this

Evo1883

I do admit I'm less emotionally attached to fish than land animals ...weird but I imagine it's the same with many many people

TomRad85

I dunno, when someone's chomping down on an octopus...

Now, I eat meat, quite happily. Where I do also find it slightly uncomfortable however is when we decide to tell other cultures what animals *they're* entitled to eat. I'd have thought you have to buy into eating meat... or not, really.
Well if a country has a fetish for eating endangered animals I think you'd be within your right to think that cunty behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grendel

I dunno, when someone's chomping down on an octopus...

Now, I eat meat, quite happily. Where I do also find it slightly uncomfortable however is when we decide to tell other cultures what animals *they're* entitled to eat. I'd have thought you have to buy into eating meat... or not, really.

I do find it rather amusing on the COVID debate when people were defending centuries of Chinese culture whilst expressing indignation and delight when pulling down 300 years of ours

skybluetony176

Caveat to sentient awareness on fish

I’m sure the Tonester is looking through google to copy and paste some thoughts and pretend they are his own to challenge this
I’m from a family who are traditionally fishermen. I was around the fishing industry enough as a kid to understand that fish have a nervous system and therefore feel pain. Seen it first hand. Anything else you want to pile on with? Primary school behaviour again.

D

Deleted member 4439

I'll never understand people who eat fish, but not meat, on ethical grounds, either.

Then again, I suppose you can dial down contradictions in just about everything we do if you really want to.

Indeed. Also, for most, I suspect there is a path to vegetarianism. If you think about why people might not eat meat (aside from reducing greenhouse emissions), it probably begins with meat industry practice and the idea of factory farming then moves on to thoughts about harm and death to any animal. Whilst some fish are farmed, they live full and free (but of course also predated!) - but obviously feel pain as Tony has said.

Sky Blue Pete

The South Park stuff was interesting
So are we saying that those protesting have a right to protest but not to demand any change in practice?

Evo1883

They could. They won’t though for the simple reason that we have a government who voted to say that animals aren’t sentient beings. Well, that and profits.

How on earth can they conclude them chick's can't feel pain , well I suppose if you dropped a human Into a grinder you'd not feel much pain either as you'd be mince before you could

skybluetony176

Would you agree that although there is still a long way to go, the UK is ahead of the vast majority of other countries when it comes to animal welfare?

I don’t think any country can be classed as a shining beacon when we’re macerating live animals because it’s cost effective. Sheep are also really horrifically killed in this country for slaughter. For some reason they tend to get it worse than pigs or cows, although they don’t exactly get it easy either. It’s not just the way they’re killed, the way they’re reared is just as ugly if not uglier because the misery isn’t as quick as the death. Chickens we eat are over fed so much and grow so quickly their legs can’t support their weight so they walk around on broken legs, US practices of battery farming cows was creeping into the U.K. even before the government voted that animals weren’t sentient beings so expect that to ramp up.

TomRad85

I don’t think any country can be classed as a shining beacon when we’re macerating live animals because it’s cost effective. Sheep are also really horrifically killed in this country for slaughter. For some reason they tend to get it worse than pigs or cows, although they don’t exactly get it easy either. It’s not just the way they’re killed, the way they’re reared is just as ugly if not uglier because the misery isn’t as quick as the death. Chickens we eat are over fed so much and grow so quickly their legs can’t support their weight so they walk around on broken legs, US practices of battery farming cows was creeping into the U.K. even before the government voted that animals were sentient beings so expect that to ramp up.
4th best country in the world for animal welfare, so with regards to it we can look down on all but 3 nations. Doesn't mean we shouldn't keep petitioning for better but it is a fact.

NorthernWisdom

Would you agree that although there is still a long way to go, the UK is ahead of the vast majority of other countries when it comes to animal welfare?

We could merge all threads together now - I always thought one possible benefit of Brexit was it would allow us to improve further our animal welfare regulations, but instead we seem to want to bring them down, which seems madness really. It's actually something to be proud of, that we do have relatively high standards, so why cut them?

TomRad85

We could merge all threads together now - I always thought one possible benefit of Brexit was it would allow us to improve further our animal welfare regulations, but instead we seem to want to bring them down, which seems madness really. It's actually something to be proud of, that we do have relatively high standards, so why cut them?
I agree.

Edit. I'm not sure how this thread has got here though.

Last edited:

TomRad85

Been happening for years. Technology is being worked to sex and seperate eggs before they are hatched.
Give it 20 years and technology will give us lab grown meat that is cheaper and indistinguishable from the meat of a slaughtered animal.

Grendel

Well that’s bollocks - if you eat meat from any source except essentially you yourself don’t care about animal welfare and it’s pretty disingenuous to make politics out of it. You’d be the first to complain if prices rose massively and then blame it on leaving the EU!

NorthernWisdom

Well that’s bollocks - if you eat meat from any source except essentially you yourself don’t care about animal welfare and it’s pretty disingenuous to make politics out of it. You’d be the first to complain if prices rose massively and then blame it on leaving the EU!
Aye aye, knew that'd poke Mr Brexiteer. What's pretty much bollocks is defending a decline in animal welfare standards to protect your beloved Brexit.

NorthernWisdom

I agree.

Edit. I'm not how this thread has got here though.

I have no idea either! But hey...

tbh I was pleasantly surprised it didn't kick off with a load of ranty Muslim = bad shit, then it just went weird for ages, and there seems to be a poke Tony sport invented, too. So hey, why not let it go somewhere completely else!

Next thing we know, we'll have cc84 coming on to tell us how he's always said Sheaf is shite because he doesn't eat halal meat.

TomRad85

Isn’t cod endangered? Or did I imagine that?
Excuse me for thinking only of land animals, but yes might well be, many species of fish are. Overfishing is something we need to think about as an entire planet.

TomRad85

I have no idea either! But hey...

tbh I was pleasantly surprised it didn't kick off with a load of ranty Muslim = bad shit, then it just went weird for ages, and there seems to be a poke Tony sport invented, too. So hey, why not let it go somewhere completely else!

Next thing we know, we'll have cc84 coming on to tell us how he's always said Sheaf is shite because he doesn't eat halal meat.
Tony pokes himself in all honesty.

shmmeee

This reminds me a lot of the climate debate and the silly polarisation there.

Everyone in this thread seems to be in agreement that we should treat animals better (that’s what the school protests are about right?) but still devolve into arguments and oneupmanship about exactly the right balance or who is a hypocrite. And the animals/climate keeps being a problem we all agree needs fixing.

Aren’t humans great?

TomRad85

Aye aye, knew that'd poke Mr Brexiteer. What's pretty much bollocks is defending a decline in animal welfare standards to protect your beloved Brexit.
I'm against any decline in animal welfare, don't get me wrong. But would it have anything to do with Brexit? Our welfare standards are above most in the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread