SBT 5-a-side League (1 Viewer)

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Ok to stop the confusion of the SBT Footie Match thread, this one is simply for anyone interested in making a bit of a 5-a-side team for a league. We need to get it sorted because it's taking too long...

Suggestions from the previous threads were to play in the sports and leisure centre in town on Friday evenings. If this is good for everyone I will find out more details and we will sort it out. Feel free to make other suggestions and we will see what we can do to try and suit everyone...

Let us know if you're still interested and we will see what numbers we get and take it from there.

Anyone interested in the one off game only please see the "SBT One Off Football Match" thread.

Team so far:

Me
Marty
Gouldberg
Sky Blue Sheepy - Maybe
Rich
ccfcdan
tehspecialone
Ma_Ma_Ma_Carl_Baker

TEAM FOR 17/08/11 OR 24/08/11 *subject to peoples availabilty!*

GK - ?
Gouldberg
Me
tehspecialone
Marty

Last edited:

Sky Blue Sheepy

Again thank you for seperating these :)

I'd rather do the 1 off game first and see how it goes from there. But assuming we don't all despise each other in person, I imagine I'd be up for this.

gouldberg

As mentioned on the old thread I'm up for it depending on what gets arranged in terms of venue/night.

As a back-up to town I'm basketball training at Woodlands Powerleague tonight so will see if I can get any info off them. Prefer playing outside under the floodlights tbh, just has something about it compared to being indoors.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Yes I quite like the cool breeze of playing outside - what is the AT7 like for it's league, as I've grown very attached to my shins.
Presuming that isn't just leg breaking (and I've playing in 1 or 2 that are), then I'd love to play there.

Marty

I'm defo intrested and will play anywhere any night other then Tuesday & Thursdays, because i have other things on.

I played 1 game at the AT7 centre before i decided i wanted to not have my legs broken. someone started on me for tackling them, during the game got pushed, shoved, punched in the chest, elbowed, tripped alot, but that was a good 5-6 years ago, the new pitches they have got up there look class a little on the small side but very nice indeed. Things may have changed up there now, but with it being on the edge of a rough area, it probaly attracts the locals.

I have heard good things about the Powerleague but the location could be awkward for non car drivers.

sport centre in town, Good location, good players, nobody going for a fight, It's in a sport centre though, so it's got a hard wooden floor.

Connextions is a no go i would say due to location.

ccfcdan

Yes I quite like the cool breeze of playing outside - what is the AT7 like for it's league, as I've grown very attached to my shins.
Presuming that isn't just leg breaking (and I've playing in 1 or 2 that are), then I'd love to play there.

I currently play up powerleague on Thursday nights, The faciltys are pretty good. Got that artifical grass on the pitches and a bar for after match cokes :)

The league I play in on Thursday nights is an express league (30 min games instead of 40) and it costs £28 per game. Hope this helps!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I'm defo intrested and will play anywhere any night other then Tuesday & Thursdays, because i have other things on.

I played 1 game at the AT7 centre before i decided i wanted to not have my legs broken. someone started on me for tackling them, during the game got pushed, shoved, punched in the chest, elbowed, tripped alot, but that was a good 5-6 years ago, the new pitches they have got up there look class a little on the small side but very nice indeed. Things may have changed up there now, but with it being on the edge of a rough area, it probaly attracts the locals.

I have heard good things about the Powerleague but the location could be awkward for non car drivers.

sport centre in town, Good location, good players, nobody going for a fight, It's in a sport centre though, so it's got a hard wooden floor.

Connextions is a no go i would say due to location.

Yeah I'd say Powerleague looks good but I live in Radford and I think Powerleague will be hard for me to get to - anyone know if it's easy to get to by bus?

skyblueprincess

Ive said i can and want to play on the other thread , so the same stands for this thread too ( girls can play football ya know )

gouldberg

Yeah I'd say Powerleague looks good but I live in Radford and I think Powerleague will be hard for me to get to - anyone know if it's easy to get to by bus?

The number 10 runs until 11pm and stops at the corner or Broad Lane/Banner Lane which is literally a few hundred yards from Woodlands. Hope this helps a bit.

gouldberg

Passed my e-mail address on the Powerleague today and they were in touch very quickly. In terms of prices;

"You will be pleased to know that our league prices start from just £21.00 for our Thursday Express league. Our standard 5-a-side league is just £31.45 and 7-a-side league only £34.95 so you won’t need to be Roman Abrahmovic to start a team with us!

Our U23’s Leagues that run on three nights during the week are only £20.99 per game. Enter our U23’s Leagues either on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday and shoot for glory!"

I was told they have leagues running on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Nothing on Friday unfortunately but if we could do one of those days it's a cracking place. They have FA qualified referees, the leagues are normally quite friendly and as mentioned there's a nice bar there for after the game. If we get 8 players (you can name 8 per game) it would be about £3.50/£4 a game and from past experience it's rolling subs so everyone can get a fair few minutes (think you can only change the keeper once per game though).

I've been told if I have any extra questions for them I can call them or travel up to chat to them (I'm only a street away) and if we can decide on the night we'd like to play they can give me an exact price and also a possible start date for when we'd be able to join a league if we're interested. If they can't find us a league straight away they're happy to arrange some friendlies for us in the meantime. Also have to say the staff are very nice to chat to and are very approachable.

tehspecialone

Facebook User
I'd be up for it, if it was on the Sunday or Wednesday. Not sure if I'd be able to get there on Mondays though. Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm busy.

tehspecialone

Facebook User
You know what... at this rate the actual City side would have dropped to a division we're capable of playing at within a few years. Might as well just wait it out.

I prefer outdoors, play at AT7 wednesdays and used to play at Powerleague. Both are good and relatively cheap once split 7/8 ways. Powerleague gets my vote for convenience though!

Can someone please make the neccesary decisions and state we intend to start on x at x who's in and who's out. Lets get this show on the road guys and girls.

gouldberg

I had some Voicemail off Powerleague this morning telling me they might have a couple of slots open on various nights and for me to call them back. Will give them a call later this evening and take some details. Will let you know what I get told later :)

Gouldy. When they give you the details put them on here with a poll or something. See if we can get something sorted once and for all.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Yeah that would be fab gouldy if you can get details and do a poll as Rich says. I think Sunday might be good for me depending on what time its on at cos it's a long travel for me to get there with no car - but if it's on a weekday I will see what I can do anyway but it might be a bit of a push getting there after work etc. Shame they don't do Fridays...

Let us know anyway gouldberg :D

ccfcdan

Sunday's is the 7 a side league, Bigger pitches and the balls ok to go over head height. I'd deffo play on Sunday's cant really play again in the week with me already playing Thursdays and im a family man now days!!

Also im in Daimler Green so if anyone around the area needs a lift id happily oblige :)

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Sunday's is the 7 a side league, Bigger pitches and the balls ok to go over head height. I'd deffo play on Sunday's cant really play again in the week with me already playing Thursdays and im a family man now days!!

Also im in Daimler Green so if anyone around the area needs a lift id happily oblige :)

Do you know what time they play on Sundays mate?

gouldberg

Been in touch with them, Sunday's are currently full for 7-a-side, could talk to them about what sort wait there is if you want me to follow that up though (a couple of you have said Sunday is best for you).

In terms of 5-a-side there's places on Monday and Wednesday at the moment. 40 minute games (2 x 20min halves), can name 8 players per game, rolling subs. It's £31.50 a game which equals about (off the top of my head) £3.90/£4 a game with 8 players. They'd need a £10 deposit at the start but that comes out of the first games match fee (so only £21.50 for the first game). Not sure what that's like in terms of competitiveness for money but I honestly think it's the best place to play in Coventry if you don't want to get kicked up in the air every 5 minutes.

There are various times for kick-offs so if you can't get there until 7/8 that's no major problem as I've been told they can do 8:45pm kick-offs.

I'm going to call them back either tomorrow evening or Friday for another chat once I get some feedback so if you guys let me know what's what and we can decide if there's any legs in playing there or not. It's easily accessible on the bus (number 10 stops just yards away) and again I have to mention the bar for a drink afterwards.

Wednesday would be best for me as I have basketball on Monday nights so would be a bit knackered if we played 8:45 on Monday but would still do it if preferred choice.

If you guys let me know what's what and we can go from there.

Edit - Oh yes, was also told they'd happily arrange a friendly for us before the start of the actual season so we can get used to playing as a team.

Last edited:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Cheers gouldberg. If we can't do Sunday, Wednesday is doable for me. I work in town and finish about 4, so I'd either have to play at a time where I can travel there straight from work (4.30-5ish depends how long a bus takes from town) or as you say the later kick offs - I think anything in between would be more difficult.

tehspecialone

Facebook User
I'd prefer Wednesday's since I usually just sit around all night. Not sure about Monday's though; would probably have trouble getting there.

Marty

I can do any night other then Tuesday & Thursday. Anybody else think nick should stick his hand into his pocket and buy us a nice kit :p

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I can do any night other then Tuesday & Thursday. Anybody else think nick should stick his hand into his pocket and buy us a nice kit :p

Haha... yeah he can buy us a sky blue one with Sky Blues Talk as the sponsor on it :D

Make it happen Nick :p

Marty

Was listening to the radio earlier and heard about an offer with music magpie, where you can trade in 200 CD's or DVD's, and they send you a football kit, I'm sure loads of us have a load of DVD's laying in attic collecting dust, so could be a way of getting ourselves a half decent kit??

I have about 20-30 that I have I would give away.

The offer is at http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/freekits/index.asp

Maybe we could set up something, where the people not intrested in our team could donate and maybe get a local kids team a kit I don't know.

Edit: the FRIBURGO kit is amazing in sky blue :D

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Was listening to the radio earlier and heard about an offer with music magpie, where you can trade in 200 CD's or DVD's, and they send you a football kit, I'm sure loads of us have a load of DVD's laying in attic collecting dust, so could be a way of getting ourselves a half decent kit??

I have about 20-30 that I have I would give away.

The offer is at http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/freekits/index.asp

Maybe we could set up something, where the people not intrested in our team could donate and maybe get a local kids team a kit I don't know.

Edit: the FRIBURGO kit is amazing in sky blue :D

Until we get our own kit with Nick's sponsor on :p does everyone have last seasons home shirt, we could wear that for now?

Marty

I don't have any kits :( I guess i could get a sky blue top though.

gouldberg

Until we get our own kit with Nick's sponsor on :p does everyone have last seasons home shirt, we could wear that for now?

Yeah I was going to suggest last seasons home kit :)

I don't have the keepers top but might get this seasons black one.

Will call Powerleague tomorrow and let them know Wednesday is out best bet and see what sort of wait there would be and when we'd need to say we're up for it by etc etc.

Do we have a couple more guys interested though because at the moment we have 4 I think? Maybe friends not on the forum if we have to? Would prefer all guys from here though but not all that fussed.

Will once again let you know what is said tomorrow. :D

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I've got this as interested people so far on the first post of this thread, anyone I've missed out let me know and I will put you on it.

Team so far:

Me
Marty
Gouldberg
Sky Blue Sheepy - Maybe
Rich
ccfcdan
tehspecialone

gouldberg

Ah right, that looks a lot healthier. Could do with a couple of the others just saying yes/no for Wednesday just for definite but will still see what's what tomorrow.

Will be calling them early evening (4/5pm) so will let you know sometime after that what's said.

tehspecialone

Facebook User
Haven't got last seasons home kit. Went for the away one instead. Got loads of Sky Blue City kits though, so I should be fine anyway. If we end up desperate for players I could easily fine a couple of people to drag along.

Users who are viewing this thread