Sarah Everard (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBT

So what is your point? Would you cross the road for a man knowing that he's got a far higher chance of being the victim of violent crime?

The point is that women routinely feel unsafe in all kinds of situations where men don’t even have to think twice. That’s what the polls say at least: 61% of women regularly take steps to avoid being sexually assaulted | YouGov

Of course it’s “not all men”. But unfortunately it is all women who suffer from this. And men can/should do more to help. Being told that shouldn’t make you feel like you’re being compared to a murderous rapist, but some people are apparently always intent on feeling that way.

Marty

These are issues that effect both genders, not just women, saying it only effects women downplays the male side of it. Plenty of men will be scared to go out at night or walk past a group of people. I'm certainly not saying women don't have these issues, just that a lot of men will also have these concerns and worries.

NorthernWisdom

I think it's extremely easy for people to get consumed by content they originally didn't wish to see
Some people, but then they'll be finding out content elsewhere if not on twitter.

I can honestly say that my work twitter accounts are remarkably tedious, and attempt to be inclusive - they're followed by some people whose views are a little more divisive, but I can mute them or not click on them if it bothers me.

Now, that's an extreme example, but my personal twitter account is also remarkably tedious ;) but isn't really used, follows a couple of 'comedians' and amusing cat picture sites - none of which results in the stuff reported back here! It's only when I look for things (which is usually when I unwisely follow something posted on here, tbh!) that it gets darker.

Skybluefaz

These are issues that effect both genders, not just women, saying it only effects women downplays the male side of it. Plenty of men will be scared to go out at night or walk past a group of people. I'm certainly not saying women don't have these issues, just that a lot of men will also have these concerns and worries.
No one is saying that. To be honest you will always find one knob that will if you try hard enough. Listen to enough people and I think you will realise most people, the overwhelming majority are not saying that.

shmmeee

No one is saying that. To be honest you will always find one knob that will if you try hard enough. Listen to enough people and I think you will realise most people, the overwhelming majority are not saying that.

This is standard toddler “someone else is getting attention” stuff. Oh the black people are complaining, why can’t we talk about me a white guy? Oh the women are complaining, why can’t we talk about men?

Said it before, do these people shout loudly “Happy Birthday to EVERYONE WHO HAS A BIRTHDAY!” when they’re at a birthday party? Or is it just these issues where basic adult emotion control escapes them?

You want to raise the problems white people or men have, crack on, literally no one is stopping you.

And yet, they’ll be all over Twitter on IWD saying what about men, but do the square root of fuck all on actual International Mens Day.

Skybluefaz

So, from what I can gather, you're willing to change your behaviour around women but not men even though they suffer the same issue.
Are you ignoring the fact that I've already explained that as a man I understand how I feel and act accordingly? Write to Ben Bradley about it. He'll be with you if you feel offended.

Skybluefaz

This is standard toddler “someone else is getting attention” stuff. Oh the black people are complaining, why can’t we talk about me a white guy? Oh the women are complaining, why can’t we talk about men?

Said it before, do these people shout loudly “Happy Birthday to EVERYONE WHO HAS A BIRTHDAY!” when they’re at a birthday party? Or is it just these issue where basic adult emotion control escapes them?

You want to raise the problems while people or men have, crack on, literally no one is stopping you.
Well yes. Just waiting for the Les Ferdinand in the argument to get thrown in now. LOOK THIS WOMAN SAYS SHES NOT SCARED OF MEN!

Marty

Are you ignoring the fact that I've already explained that as a man I understand how I feel and act accordingly? Write to Ben Bradley about it. He'll be with you if you feel offended.

Why would I feel offended? I'm not the creep who needs to change their behaviour.

SBT

Why would I feel offended? I'm not the creep who needs to change their behaviour.

You’re doing a great job showing how very unoffended you are by the whole thing, no sir, not me, no insecurities here etc etc

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think everyone agrees that this incident is horrific, and as a bloke I don't feel as defenceless as a woman. That being said, I have been assaulted at least three times unprovoked which lead me to toughen up. I had a knife pulled on me in Portugal this year and I kicked the shit out of him.

When it is a woman, unless she is an undercover Judo fighter or something, she is not going to come out of any of those situations very well, and I can see why people are concerned. We should never live in a society where a woman is scared to walk home, but sadly we also don't live in some fictional utopia. London is rough.

Personally, I'll help anyone if they are in need, and I'll do anything to make people feel safe. That should be the campaign, and as a bloke I have no issues with raising awareness etc. There is no question, however, that many people 'online' who don't like men, are using this as a political football to spew man hate. It isn't helpful.

NorthernWisdom

Have to admit I'm not keen if somebody walks behind me at night, tend to stop and let them go by.

It's only recently it's dawned on me accelerating to get by people ahead quickly may not be as reassuring as I'd hoped...

David O'Day

Have to admit I'm not keen if somebody walks behind me at night, tend to stop and let them go by.

It's only recently it's dawned on me accelerating to get by people ahead quickly may not be as reassuring as I'd hoped...

Yeah I didn't realise that this could make them think you are chasing them. I try an cross the road now and this isn't as some of the pretend alpha males on here would say being "woke" or "snowflakely" just not being a prick.

Saddlebrains

I feel there is way more to this.

Portaloos, portakabins and refreshment vehicles all arrived at the search site this morning indicating the police will be there a while yet. On top of the sheer volume of coppers which I've never seen on a single murder case.

I get the feeling this may not be his first murder/dumping ground and a load more is going to come out

Nick

Administrator
Is it not sexist for women to tar all men with the same brush though? If I felt uncomfortable walking through a gang of romanian blokes that looked a bit dodgy would that make me racist?

I dont tend to make a habit of walking behind women at night on my own and their own, when it has happened if I am walking the dogs then I tend to usually hang back or go a different way or as said, just cross over.

The other thing that as a man bothers me is that if there's a kid that is lost and distressed in a shop, I don't feel I can go over and ask if they are OK or take them to customer services until their parents are found.

Skybluefaz

I feel there is way more to this.

Portaloos, portakabins and refreshment vehicles all arrived at the search site this morning indicating the police will be there a while yet. On top of the sheer volume of coppers which I've never seen on a single murder case.

I get the feeling this may not be his first murder/dumping ground and a load more is going to come out
Possibly. Does seem a lot if we are looking at one case.

Terry_dactyl

Is it not sexist for women to tar all men with the same brush though? If I felt uncomfortable walking through a gang of romanian blokes that looked a bit dodgy would that make me racist?

I dont tend to make a habit of walking behind women at night on my own and their own, when it has happened if I am walking the dogs then I tend to usually hang back or go a different way or as said, just cross over.

The other thing that as a man bothers me is that if there's a kid that is lost and distressed in a shop, I don't feel I can go over and ask if they are OK or take them to customer services until their parents are found.
Why do you feel you can’t do that? How often has that scenario occurred?

Possibly you might be racist/xenophobic if you think that one of the characteristics that makes a group of blokes intimidating is their race or nationality.

Nick

Administrator
Why do you feel you can’t do that? How often has that scenario occurred?

Possibly you might be racist/xenophobic if you think that one of the characteristics that makes a group of blokes intimidating is their race or nationality.

I don't feel I can approach a kid on their own like that, right or wrong I wouldn;t feel comfortable. It has happened before in Tesco so just had to find a woman who worked there and pointed them out.

Skybluefaz

I don't feel I can approach a kid on their own like that, right or wrong I wouldn;t feel comfortable. It has happened before in Tesco so just had to find a woman who worked there and pointed them out.
The advice in football coaching is that if you are in public then you really shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you are in a one to one situation, think about it a lot more. As for the Romanian blokes thing? How do you know they are Romanian? Not a trick question by the way, I don't think I'd be able to make that judgement unless they were wearing Moldovan shirts << Insert Otis joke about that making them from Moldova here>> If you are uncomfortable walking through a group of blokes who look like wrong uns then I think it's reasonable to be wary.

I think the women saying men should be placed under curfew is them just holding a mirror up to it. It put me in mind of that ripper doc on Netflix where all the women were told to stay in, despite them knowing they were looking for a man. I think the point is, why is it always the women that should sacrifice their freedoms. If a woman is saying that you being a man makes you a rapist/predator etc that is sexist but I think that would be a huge minority view.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I dont think its right for women to "stay in" because a small percentage of men are fucking predators they should be killed off.

Evo1883

Nobody should stay in... There should be more police on the streets, an age old argument irrespective of it being a copper in this scenario... It's still a valid argument.

There is not alot you can do, stay away, be close, look away, head down whatever, if somebody is going to kill or assault a women... They will find a way to do it... Because they are sick in the head already

The amount of people ACTUALLY doing it, is very low

We will never achieve the perfect world, simple as that

fernandopartridge

No, it isn't. For a woman as a general rule, not all men are rapists but all rapists are men.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Nobody should stay in... There should be more police on the streets, an age old argument irrespective of it being a copper in this scenario... It's still a valid argument.

There is not alot you can do, stay away, be close, look away, head down whatever, if somebody is going to kill or assault a women... They will find a way to do it... Because they are sick in the head already

The amount of people ACTUALLY doing it, is very low

We will never achieve the perfect world, simple as that

London is only getting rougher as well. This utopia doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread