Sam Mccallum (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

I think he’ll settle as a left back rather than a left wing back.

This. He’d be great in a back four, and he’s benefitted from us not building from the back recently but using his heading ability high up the pitch instead.

But for a player with a decent set piece on him, his final ball is surprisingly terrible and his use of the ball in the middle third is still suspect. He’s never a wing back in a top team.

Paxman II

Think we will lose him. he will be on the norwich bench next season I reckon. Could be wrong. If he goes back out on lone it will probably be with a definate contender for the promotion spots/playoffs - the likes of WBA perhaps.

Frostie

Fairly sure that Norwich have secured the Greek international Giannoulis on a permanent deal now that promotion has been confirmed & they still have Quintilla under contract as well. Sam Byram can play either side & Sorensen, although predominantly a Midfielder, has covered a lot at LB too.

Fairly certain then that McCallum won't play much there so question is does Farke want him in & around the squad learning that way or would another loan & first team football be better?

Esoterica

There's been a lot of hindsight execution on the forum in the last few days (James, Gyokores, McCallum etc) but he was below par for a run of games around the time Giles left, has been solid for much of the season either side of that, and has been excellent for the last few matches.
Some people looked at that run of poor games and decided he's not good enough - I think what people misjudge is a combination of things: the physical impact playing consistently in a higher, faster, stronger league can have. The lack of competition he's had for his place, making him hard to give a rest to, and then that players, especially young ones, develop from those experiences over the course of the season. And that's not linear progression, it's up and down.

His short passing in the opposition half needs more work, his biggest weakness I would say, but he has also physically developed and with that his leap has improved and the distance on his long throw has increased and become real weapons.

Another factor not talked about much is his role when Dabo is in the side. When fit Dabo was given much more freedom and McCallum played a more reserved role than he has in the last few games where DaCosta has been reigned in, so he has been more visible in the upturn of results.

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

There's been a lot of hindsight execution on the forum in the last few days (James, Gyokores, McCallum etc) but he was below par for a run of games around the time Giles left, but he has been solid for much of the season either side of that, and has been excellent for the last few matches.
Some people looked at that run of poor games and decided he's not good enough - I think what people misjudge is a combination of things: the physical impact playing consistently in a higher, faster, stronger league can have. The lack of competition he's had for his place, making him hard to give a rest to, and then that players, especially young ones, develop from those experiences over the course of the season. And that's not linear progression, it's up and down.

His short passing in the opposition half needs more work, his biggest weakness I would say, but he has also physically developed and with that his leap has improved and the distance on his long throw has increased and become real weapons.

Another factor not talked about much is his role when Dabo is in the side. When fit Dabo was given much more freedom and McCallum played a more reserved role than he has in the last few games where DaCosta has been reigned in, so he has been more visible in the upturn of results.
Nearly choked on my hummus. There was enough execution without hindsight more like. McCallum has been consistent through the season with some games where HE was exposed by the players in front of him not having any discipline.
Yes he has upped his game but I suspect that is because the side is more settled and because opponents like QPR and Bournemouth targeted DeCosta as the weak link.
There were some on here who questioned his commitment as a loanee which was scandalous. Let’s not forget he has not played for any other league club but us and is still only 20, learning as he plays and I believe the most telling thing was Robins putting him straight back in the side and keeping him in the side. That’s faith in the young man, perhaps some on here should show some too.

robbiekeane

Nearly choked on my hummus. There was enough execution without hindsight more like. McCallum has been consistent through the season
Honestly mate, you have a very very strange approach to supporting a club. When you lack objectivity and the ability to think critically, it really reduces your credibility. You seem to get personally offended by any honest, valid, criticism of the team, no matter how balanced. Very strange indeed

Esoterica

Nearly choked on my hummus. There was enough execution without hindsight more like. McCallum has been consistent through the season with some games where HE was exposed by the players in front of him not having any discipline.
Yes he has upped his game but I suspect that is because the side is more settled and because opponents like QPR and Bournemouth targeted DeCosta as the weak link.
There were some on here who questioned his commitment as a loanee which was scandalous. Let’s not forget he has not played for any other league club but us and is still only 20, learning as he plays and I believe the most telling thing was Robins putting him straight back in the side and keeping him in the side. That’s faith in the young man, perhaps some on here should show some too.
Well I meant hindsight execution between forum members, not of the player. A lot of people now gloating saying 'I knew these players were great' when they were genuinely poor for periods. My point was that there is often a myriad of reasons for that, especially in the young ones, rather than them just being 'shit' but gloating once they've finally come good is as myopic as saying they are shit when they are going through that poor run.

NorthernWisdom

A lot of people now gloating saying 'I knew these players were great' when they were genuinely poor for periods.
tbh if you were one of the people who had doubts about McCallum (I know you're not - nor me ;)) then surely you still would? Three or four good games doesn't prove anything really, anymore than a dip in form when Giles went back meant he was automatically shocking.

NortonSkyBlue

Honestly mate, you have a very very strange approach to supporting a club. When you lack objectivity and the ability to think critically, it really reduces your credibility. You seem to get personally offended by any honest, valid, criticism of the team, no matter how balanced. Very strange indeed
Honestly mate I am not looking for your validation. I believe that criticism on here is unbalanced at times and over the top and talking of support I think you need to look at the definition of the word because it’s obviously a strange concept to you.
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback though.

Grendel

robbiekeane

Honestly mate I am not looking for your validation. I believe that criticism on here is unbalanced at times and over the top and talking of support I think you need to look at the definition of the word because it’s obviously a strange concept to you.
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback though.
You dish it out enough so, you're welcome

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Bad signing according to a certain poster from Earlsdon

Absolutely immense tonight and one of our better performers over the last few months

At least have the balls to tag me.

He's been immense the last few games, as a lot of the team have. A bit pony earlier in the season though.

clint van damme

At least have the balls to tag me.

He's been immense the last few games, as a lot of the team have. A bit pony earlier in the season though.

He might have been referring to me!
I have been critical off him but he's been brilliant recently. Even when he wasn't at his best at no point was Giles a better option.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He might have been referring to me!
I have been critical off him but he's been brilliant recently. Even when he wasn't at his best at no point was Giles a better option.

Sorry to be so unflattering Clint, but that guy follows me round the forum!

I agree. I never really rated Giles that much, but I wanted to see what he could do a bit more perhaps. McCallum has had some really poor games, but the last three in my opinion are all that matters, and he has been excellent in those.

cov donkey kick

There's been a lot of hindsight execution on the forum in the last few days (James, Gyokores, McCallum etc) but he was below par for a run of games around the time Giles left, has been solid for much of the season either side of that, and has been excellent for the last few matches.

All those faults despite his improvement overall is reason to leave him here and tell Sam and the club where they want him to improve simples

covcity4life

Well fucking said

SlowerThanPlatt

Isn’t that a fan/website award rather than a recognised one? By them looks of it we were the only club who posted about it so likely to win.

cov donkey kick

Great post

Bugsy

Esoterica

Well fucking said
Remember when you said you were a better footballer than McCallum and wanted Robins fined for playing him? Think it was a match thread, might even have been his debut, and you had to go and meditate after it you were so angry!! :D Was a funny thread anyway.

Evo1883

Great post

Not entirely , yes Sam has been playing well recently, but the suggestion that it's on other players he made mistakes is a bit of a grim opinion .

Losing your man , lunging (football 101) into challenges and giving cheap free kicks away in dangerous areas have been a problem , especially in the first 2 thirds of the season.

We can't pretend these things haven't happened a fair few times this year because they have.

He's young and still learning I suppose.

He's had a strong finish to the season, THAT is what should be applauded, he didn't show this consistency the whole season because had he then fans would probably be taking about him as a contender for player of the season...literally nobody is

Last edited:

covcity4life

Remember when you said you were a better footballer than McCallum and wanted Robins fined for playing him? Think it was a match thread, might even have been his debut, and you had to go and meditate after it you were so angry!! :D Was a funny thread anyway.
I dont remember that lol but I do rmemeber when he first start playing inwas worried he was another Jordan Clarke

Completly won me over the last 2 years

covcity4life

Not entirely , yes Sam has been playing well recently, but the suggestion that it's on other players he made mistakes is a bit of a grim opinion .

Losing your man , lunging (football 101) into challenges and giving cheap free kicks away in dangerous areas have been a problem , especially in the first 2 thirds of the season.

We can't pretend these things haven't happened a fair few times this year because they have.

He's young and still learning I suppose.

He's had a strong finish to the season, THAT is what should be applauded, he didn't show this consistency the whole season because had he then fans would probably be taking about him as a contender for player of the season...literally nobody is

He has played well consistently all season long. 3 or 4 bad games doesnt change that

Users who are viewing this thread