Sam mccallum (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Eccles went out on loan and McCallum came in on loan. Balancing the books a little. If Norwich want us to give him minutes in the Champ then we won’t be contributing much to wages especially as it seems he was offered to us.

shmmeee

Last thought. I think this move was not planned, not strategic, but wholly opportunistic. This is not necessarily a good thing. Norwich knocked on the door and we saw the merit in it.

It was not because a weakness in the team more important than any othe was identified, leading to a search for a suitable loan.

This rumour has been flying around all pre season. Doesn’t suggest last minute decision.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If we played with wingers, then maybe, just maybe some people that are saying Giles will play further up the pitch might have a point.

Last season, and this season it looks like we are sticking with the trusted method. Meaning we don't play with wingers at all. We play with two narrow attacking midfielders, and the closest thing to a winger are the wing backs.

Anyone saying Giles is going to replace Allen so that McCallum can play left wing back and therefore we can have both players on the pitch must have been smoking something funny over the weekend. It isn't dissimilar to those saying Dabo can fill in for Kelly, and nearly everyone laughed at that.

Christ guys.

PVA

I really hope Giles plays AM now, just for the endless self owns this thread would produce.

Likewise!

So many people so adamant that an attacking player definitely won't play in a different attacking position.

Fair enough if people don't think it will happen, but the insistence that the idea of a winger playing more centrally is the most outlandish suggestion of all time is just bizarre and like you say is going to result in a lot of egg on a lot of faces if it does happen.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Newton and McGrath are both left backs. How would they then get game time in the development squad if Mason needs game time too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. We're developing two other teams LWB at the detriment of our own. Now if it's with the possibility/intention of a permanent deal fine, if not we're entirely reliant on other teams filling this position as we've got to let our own player, Mason, go if we want to develop the youngsters.

McGrath is a left sided centre back who can also play LB.

johnwillomagic

Yep I think that ccfcway let's see what MR does with the two over the course of the season,

Giles has played further up the park in the past so it may be possible to incorporate Giles and McCallum in starting xi imo but we will see.

I expect Giles will stay at left wing back with McCallum on bench for Barnsley though Robins normally does not tinker too much with a winning team.

Ii both match fit though could see how MR might be tempted to get Kelly and McCallum in starting xi not to mention Sheaf its great we have so many options and people really pushing for start xi positions.

Brylowes

Exactly. We're developing two other teams LWB at the detriment of our own. Now if it's with the possibility/intention of a permanent deal fine, if not we're entirely reliant on other teams filling this position as we've got to let our own player, Mason, go if we want to develop the youngsters.

McGrath is a left sided centre back who can also play LB.
Mason is a decent LB but clearly has issues playing at LWB and that’s the system we play, I’m sure he’ll be moved on and would be a decent accusation for a club that favours a more traditional defensive set up.

Perryccfc

The chaos our fans produce when they want a former player to return, and it’s usually the poorer players too.
We resign a top player and people are moaning. Unreal.
This can only be a positive!

bawtryneal

Its called options and having a Plan A and a Plan B
Its what you have to do in the championship if you want to be successful and MR knows this is the case.

Skyblueweeman

People need to trust MR. If this was a bad deal financially then we wouldn’t be doing it.

Yeah this. Any money spent by the club is scrutinized at the very top. If it didn't make sense financially (and I'm not sure what that means exactly), they wouldn't have done it.

Brylowes

The chaos our fans produce when they want a former player to return, and it’s usually the poorer players too.
We resign a top player and people are moaning. Unreal.
This can only be a positive!
Exactly, we’ve re-signed a player who played an integral part in our title winning season, we now have
two very different and very capable LWBs to contest the position.
I honestly don’t expect either one of them to go on and make the position their own, think Robins has
every intention of rotating the two as he sees fit, the way our next opponents set up and play will have
a great baring on who he selects to play each game ‘Also fully expect both to figure in the same games
many times this season.

Last edited:

KenilworthSkyBlue

People need to trust MR. If this was a bad deal financially then we wouldn’t be doing it.

Exactly. People seem to conveniently forget that we have one of the smallest budgets in the league so why would Robins break the bank for one loan signing? Throughout his tenure he's either reiterated in interviews or shown first hand in the transfer window that if the deal is right he'll commit to it, if it's not then he'll happily look elsewhere. So, why would the McCallum transfer be any different?

Both with the budget and with bringing in players, Robins clearly knows exactly what he's doing.

cc84cov

Exactly. People seem to conveniently forget that we have one of the smallest budgets in the league so why would Robins break the bank for one loan signing? Throughout his tenure he's either reiterated in interviews or shown first hand in the transfer window that if the deal is right he'll commit to it, if it's not then he'll happily look elsewhere. So, why would the McCallum transfer be any different?

Both with the budget and with bringing in players, Robins clearly knows exactly what he's doing.
No chance we’ve come close to breaking the bank for this loan or made any agreements on how many games he plays

Magwitch

[QUOTE="Brylowes, post: 2090031, m
Exactly, we’ve re-signed a player who played an integral part in our title winning season, we now have
two very different and very capable LWBs to contest the position.
I honestly don’t expect either one of them to go on and make the position their own, think Robins has
every intention of rotating the two as he sees fit, the way our next opponents set up and play will have
a great baring on who he selects to play each game ‘Also fully expect both to figure in the same games
many times this season.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t understand the apprehension by some regarding this signing in my opinion it’s a smart clever signing, cheap, player knows the set up, manager knows the player, no bedding in, knows most of his team mates and how they play so settling in not a problem and a bloody good player that gives the manager options.
If my memory serves me right last season Giles was brought in as much as a left sided wide midfielder than a fullback/wingback. Gives another string to the bow tactic wise.

Liquid Gold

I can’t believe we’ve seen KDB, Henry and Bale used as justification so far. This is classic.

I could actually see Giles used in a more advanced position but if we’re chasing a game and as a winger, never Asan ACM where you need a completely different skill set.

Playing wing backs and wingers in the same team never works anyway. The flanks get too congested and players get in each other way leaving massive holes in the middle to attack.

PVA

I can’t believe we’ve seen KDB, Henry and Bale used as justification so far. This is classic.

I could actually see Giles used in a more advanced position but if we’re chasing a game and as a winger, never Asan ACM where you need a completely different skill set.

Playing wing backs and wingers in the same team never works anyway. The flanks get too congested and players get in each other way leaving massive holes in the middle to attack.

You can't believe that examples of players being played in different positions are being used as proof that players can play in different positions?

And nobody has suggested playing wing backs and wingers, that's just absurd.

Liquid Gold

They are both very different players, can see MR picking either depending on opposition or bringing Giles on for McCallum when we’re chasing a goal.
Which is the exact logic. We’ve got a lot of games this season and having rotational players of quality with different strengths will serve us well.

We’ve got 6 CBs nobody is saying “well McFadz can score let’s put him up with Godden, Dion Dublin could play both”

Liquid Gold

You can't believe that examples of players being played in different positions are being used as proof that players can play in different positions?

And nobody has suggested playing wing backs and wingers, that's just absurd.
Is Shipley a natural winger? Has Giles ever played ACM? Why are you running away from answering?

Sky Blue Pete

As I said I’m not sure it will cost anything they’ll have been clever about getting another option and manipulated the selling price or when things are paid accordingly. Very clever

Grendel

Is Shipley a natural winger? Has Giles ever played ACM? Why are you running away from answering?

To be fair he used to try and make out Burge was as good a keeper as Marosi

PVA

I answered that post on a previous page. Go find it if you like. I just assumed you just ignored it because I called you out for putting words in my mouth.

You must be outraged that winger Giles is playing out of position?

Evo1883

To be fair in regards to de bruyne and tierry Henry, neither were having great success in their relavite positions, Henry failing at juventus and de bruyne at Chelsea... Both were having problems in their respective positions
Bale was actually one of the first players who was decent in his position to then be pushed up the pitch... Essentially a winger who tracked back to defend.

Giles isn't failing in his current position, and its not arsene wenger suggesting Giles go attacking midfield... It's skybluestalk.

Have we seen much of Giles shoot? How he positions between the lines to create space and receive passes ? His passing ability in tight spaces and ability to find a killer pass ? Does he have the technique or the footballing IQ?(De bruyne has all these things)

All these things key to playing Attacking midfield

Players are often moved because they exhibit traits

I'm open to the possibility but can't see it and
It's actually no different to saying dabo could do the same based off Fridays match

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

I answered that post on a previous page. Go find it if you like. I just assumed you just ignored it because I called you out for putting words in my mouth.

You must be outraged that winger Giles is playing out of position?
Go on quote it then.

Unless you’re named after a glue I suspect it’s about a certain LB we had on loan previously. I bet you were all over pushing him forward too because he could be the next Bale.

Using world class players as a barometer for what lower league players are capable of isn’t the win you think it is.

Liquid Gold

To be fair in regards to de bruyne and tierry Henry, neither were having great success in their relavite positions, Henry failing at juventus and de bruyne at Chelsea... Both were having problems in their respective positions
Bale was actually one of the first players who was decent in his position to then be pushed up the pitch... Essentially a winger who tracked back to defend.

Giles isn't failing in his current position, and its not arsene wenger suggesting Giles go attacking midfield... It's skybluestalk.

Have we seen much of Giles shoot? How he positions between the lines to create space and receive passes ? His passing ability in tight spaces and ability to find a killer pass ? Does he have the technique or the footballing IQ?(De bruyne has all these things)

All these things key to playing Attacking midfield

Players are often moved because they exhibit traits

I'm open to the possibility but can't see it and
It's actually no different to saying dabo could do the same based off Fridays match
Don’t need all that, just need “he’s good going forward” without realising it’s much easier to run forward with pace from a position of space and little marking rather than two banks of 4 surrounding you.

Liquid Gold

They are both very different players, can see MR picking either depending on opposition or bringing Giles on for McCallum when we’re chasing a goal.
Again, sensible. We’re playing players in their positions in the shape we play just rotating depending on opposition and fitness. Having two good players for each position isn’t a bad thing. It just doesn’t mean we have to force one of those players to do something else.

Users who are viewing this thread