Sam McCallum Confirmed (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueCRJ

Bright for who, CCFC ? Doubt it on this issue as soon as any promise is shown they will be moved on for maximum profit, which is then invested in more kids to sell on at a later date but meanwhile the club languishes in League one at best. Stinks of a plan to extend the hedge funds stay to me.

Why do you think it 'stinks of a plan to extend the hedge funds stay' when pretty much every single club outside the Premier League sell their promising stars to generate funds for further aquistition or to remain financially solvent. Football is a business not a charity, funds have to come from somewhere and ticket sales isn't sufficient anymore. For example, Leeds United sold their promising CM Ronaldo Viera for £7.7 million in order to invest in further transfers. Was a hedge fund responsible for that as well?

Terry Gibson's perm

Why do you think it 'stinks of a plan to extend the hedge funds stay' when pretty much every single club outside the Premier League sell their promising stars to generate funds for further aquistition or to remain financially solvent. Football is a business not a charity, funds have to come from somewhere and ticket sales isn't sufficient anymore. For example, Leeds United sold their promising CM Ronaldo Viera for £7.7 million in order to invest in further transfers. Was a hedge fund responsible for that as well?

Where did Leeds reinvest the money in players for the first team or a bunch of kids from non league?

Terry Gibson's perm

They brought in marque signings such as Patrick Bamford but I don't understand the point. Surely that's more to do with manager recruitment rather than the owner?

The point is the money they brought in was invested where it matters in the first team not messing about with the under 23’s. Leeds have invested in the future a future in the premier league

SkyBlueCRJ

The point is the money they brought in was invested where it matters in the first team not messing about with the under 23’s. Leeds have invested in the future a future in the premier league

But there's areas of crucial investment that's required to keep a club remaining solvent - not just in the playing staff. Covering losses is where the majority of our incomings ends up because SISU now inject little to no funds into the club. It's not an ideal situation and I'd much rather be in Leeds' shoes but the fact of the matter is we aren't. So any funds available have to be used wisely and that means invest in the future so they can be sold on.

Terry Gibson's perm

But there's areas of crucial investment that's required to keep a club remaining solvent - not just in the playing staff. Covering losses is where the majority of our incomings ends up because SISU now inject little to no funds into the club. It's not an ideal situation and I'd much rather be in Leeds' shoes but the fact of the matter is we aren't. So any funds available have to be used wisely and that means invest in the future so they can be sold on.

So the ideal solution is still new owners who have more interest in the football than finance the owners we have are pointless

SkyBlueCRJ

So the ideal solution is still new owners who have more interest in the football than finance the owners we have are pointless

Obviously that would be the ideal that's so cliche it's almost rhetorical. They might be useless but they aren't pointless are they, the law of averages suggest that it's unlikely we'll sell a £1 million+ player season after season so at some point their finances will be required to balance the books when needed. As they've proven in previous financial reports.

Nick

Administrator
Where did Leeds reinvest the money in players for the first team or a bunch of kids from non league?

You mean like the 16 year old or the 18 year old they signed to go into the youth teams?

Thats aside from Sam Dalby who they got from Orient, Ryan Edmondson who they got from York and Jordan Stevens who they got from FGR in January to all go into their youth setup.

So yes, they have been bringing in youth players from lower leagues.

Terry Gibson's perm

Obviously that would be the ideal that's so cliche it's almost rhetorical. They might be useless but they aren't pointless are they, the law of averages suggest that it's unlikely we'll sell a £1 million+ player season after season so at some point their finances will be required to balance the books when needed. As they've proven in previous financial reports.

Only time will tell if any of this batch become anything but I would say the law of averages is against it

Terry Gibson's perm

You mean like the 16 year old or the 18 year old they signed to go into the youth teams?

Thats aside from Sam Dalby who they got from Orient, Ryan Edmondson who they got from York and Jordan Stevens who they got from FGR in January to all go into their youth setup.

So yes, they have been bringing in youth players from lower leagues.

They also bought a real striker for real money not a useless lump from Walsall (I have only seen him on Saturday and thought he was dreadful as bad as Biamou was).

Nick

Administrator
They also bought a real striker for real money not a useless lump from Walsall (I have only seen him on Saturday and thought he was dreadful as bad as Biamou was).

We have also bought real strikers for real money... Just because you don't rate them after 1 game it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Terry Gibson's perm

We have also bought real strikers for real money... Just because you don't rate them after 1 game it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Keep this and throw it back at me if he does well but I am confident enough to say he is shit another striker scared of going into the box and just wants to bully full backs, we got rid of the non scoring Beavon and replaced him with somebody as bad.

Nick

Administrator
Keep this and throw it back at me if he does well but I am confident enough to say he is shit another striker scared of going into the box and just wants to bully full backs, we got rid of the non scoring Beavon and replaced him with somebody as bad.

Even if he is dog shit he has still been paid for and will be getting wages so the point still remains....

If we hadn't signed any first team players but just players for U23 you would have a point.

SkyBlueCRJ

Only time will tell if any of this batch become anything but I would say the law of averages is against it

It will but you can't say that when you've never seen any of them play. With McCallum, Walters, Westbrooke, Bosma, Allassani, and Williams currently playing in the U23's it's likely at least one will come good, given that most have come with the reputation of being considered as highly rated.

Terry Gibson's perm

It will but you can't say that when you've never seen any of them play. With McCallum, Walters, Westbrooke, Bosma, Allassani, and Williams currently playing in the U23's it's likely at least one will come good, given that most have come with the reputation of being considered as highly rated.

The odds are I will never see most them play either Allassani apart who should be a decent signing

Terry Gibson's perm

I am glad everyone is ha
It’s kinda like blaming Paul Fletcher for getting 2-3 million from nowhere and Adams blowing it on McKenzie and Kyle

I would even have Kyle back before this bloke he did very little apart from take a penalty which was good because it went in but would have been bad if saved like all penalties

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I mean looking back - this has always been the original SISU directive. Ranson had them buy a number of upcoming players (Dann, Fox, Westwood, Gunarsson) develop them, then sell and reinvest in similar players. If you buy enough 1 or 2 sales out of 6/7 should keep the cycle going and in theory, building a capable squad

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I am glad everyone is ha

I would even have Kyle back before this bloke he did very little apart from take a penalty which was good because it went in but would have been bad if saved like all penalties

Can’t actually comment yet, as i haven’t seen him play. My brother who went, thought he was awful

I’m waiting to see him first.. then I’ll make up my mind whether Robins has wasted money haha

Nick

Administrator
I mean looking back - this has always been the original SISU directive. Ranson had them buy a number of upcoming players (Dann, Fox, Westwood, Gunarsson) develop them, then sell and reinvest in similar players. If you buy enough 1 or 2 sales out of 6/7 should keep the cycle going and in theory, building a capable squad

It's not something that's unique to us, plenty of clubs do the same thing to keep the club running.

Peterborough sign them from lower down then transfer lists them when they go into the last year of their contract whether they are discussing an extension or not.

Terry Gibson's perm

With a policy like that you may as well sign loans

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Why? It doesn't then fund the club when they get sold.
I think the problem is, (Not necessarily Terry Gibson’s Perm) is the general football fan wants an owner to just be like Man City’s - plow money in and just go away if it’s not working.

It’s a big business rather than football clubs nowadays and Football fans struggle in general to accept owners plowing their own money in without wanting it back

Nick

Administrator
I think the problem is, (Not necessarily Terry Gibson’s Perm) is the general football fan wants an owner to just be like Man City’s - plow money in and just go away if it’s not working.

It’s a big business rather than football clubs nowadays and Football fans struggle in general to accept owners plowing their own money in without wanting it back

It's not going to happen.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It's not going to happen.
Newcastle fans in general wind me up. Mike Ashley is making profit, but as a business owner that’s his perogative.

He’s made sure they are premier league, or at least making sure they don’t spend more than one season in the Championship

Their fans have real delusions of grandeur

Nick

Administrator
Newcastle fans in general wind me up. Mike Ashley is making profit, but as a business owner that’s his perogative.

He’s made sure they are premier league, or at least making sure they don’t spend more than one season in the Championship

Their fans have real delusions of grandeur
Bellamy and carragher had words about it on sky the other day.

Bellamy was saying it was a business that he needs to run smoothly in the premier league rather then be too risky and that's why Ashley is a billionaire and carragher was just going on about no signings.

Terry Gibson's perm

Not really, I suppose the theory was buy 4, sell 1, buy another 4 sell another etc.

If all players are developed well then it’s a sustainable model - but again it’s not guarenteed to be suceessful

But what happens to the other 3 out of the four that aren’t good enough you stuck with them

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

But what happens to the other 3 out of the four that aren’t good enough you stuck with them
Correct, but that’s why I said I’m theory. Football is risky. That’s the most sustainable model out there. The gamble is always gonna be there

It’s possibly why we’ve signed about 6 non league players - the more you sign at little to no cost the more chance you’ve got of getting a gem.

You also can supplement that with out successful youth academy, and the chances of getting a saleable asset increase

Gibbo

It's not something that's unique to us, plenty of clubs do the same thing to keep the club running.

Peterborough sign them from lower down then transfer lists them when they go into the last year of their contract whether they are discussing an extension or not.
notably Southampton

Nonleagueherewecome

Whilst that is true, they were all proven to some extent. Westwood was the clear standout GK in L1 and Dann and Fox were earning rave reviews at Walsall. They were all ready to go into, and massively improve, the team-they weren't just investments in the future to make a profit down the line, they were for the here and now as well.

Users who are viewing this thread