Running (5 Viewers)

Travs

Godiva club night, and 2 x 2 miles round the outside of the Memorial Park, with 3 minutes rest.

So from the main car park, down to Coat Of Arms Bridge Road, down and under the railway, long drag back up to Leamington Road, then back along Kenilworth Road to the start/finish.

1st rep: 12:21
2nd rep: 12:28

2nd rep was very hard mentally as our little group had splintered and i found myself alone at the front with nobody to push the pace with... unlike the first rep where there was a tight group of 4 of us.

A tough 2 mile rep on a windy night. I'd be expecting under 12mins on the track, which is an indicator how much that hill back up to Leamington Road takes out of you.

10.5 miles for the session.

tommydazzle

Moved up into the next Parkrun age category recently - sounds bloody ancient. I have an ambition to do all twenty or so of the Parkruns local to me including the supposedly hardest in the country - Great Yarmouth on the soft sand. Done three locations so far and I find I need these kinds of incentives to keep going.

On the subject of gait analysis, if you listen to the ‘best thing since sliced bread or marketing bs’ radio programme an anatomy expert on there was of the opinion that they were not helpful.

Travs

Raced on the fells yesterday at Church Stretton in Shropshire. For a local champs race there was a surprisingly strong lineup, so the aim was simply a pb, and a bonus would be breaking top 15.

Due to it only being a short race (circa 50mins) i treated it like a cross-country race and went hard from the off.... reached the first summit in 8th (climbing still being my strongest attribute). Over the next 20mins or so across the undulating tops i dropped to 11th by halfway.

2nd half of the race i was hanging on, starting to suffer from the vicious pace in the first half. Managed a pb (49:40) and only dropped one more place, to finish a very pleasing 12th.

Interestingly there were a few Northbrook runners there... very rare to see others from Cov racing on the fells.

Next race is a 5000mtr track race in a fortnight at Nuneaton. Not specifically training for it as got to look towards the much longer Yorkshire Three Peaks race at end of April, but will still be hoping to get near to my 5km pb.

Sick Boy

Took 10 minutes off my park run pb yesterday. Actually managed a pace I could maintain comfortably and ran for the majority. I'm still at a high weight low level of fitness but the progress yesterday was a massive boost and incentive to keep going.
Good stuff - you should find that you can increase distance relevantly quickly if you want to.

Skybluefaz

Good stuff - you should find that you can increase distance relevantly quickly if you want to.
Playing 5 a side a couple of times a week most weeks so just looking to mix in one more 5k during the week when it gets a bit warmer/lighter and improve on my time. Next year I might look at longer runs. Realistically it's going to take me this year to drop the excess weight.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had the last 2 weeks off work and started at 3.5 miles got up to 5 miles on saturday and did another 5 miles last night, gonna stay at 5 miles for the next few weeks

fernandopartridge

Tytherington Business Park, Macclesfield, 11am. One of the technicians reckons he'll beat us both so the competition is hotting up, tempted to start taking bets
I've been trying to find a funny video I saw a few months ago of an office / factory car park race to post on here having seen this

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did a 4mile run yesterday evening just before the snow started , hopefully it will be gone by saturday

Travs

Our tuesday night session at the Godiva/University track was a shambles... it was icing over before we started. Attempted our first 300mtr rep and it resembled a speed-skating race. So we went out onto the road to do the session.

15 x 300mtrs with 20 seconds rests. I was still recovering from a race last saturday so only did 10 and they were very half-arsed.

Tonights track session cancelled, so a couple of days treadmill running before attempting a quality long run on saturday morning (hopefully around 15 miles+ at under 4:30/km)

Travs

@Rich was that you running the Coventry Way today???

I went past a chap in a Northbrook t-shirt right by the entrance to the old Bedworth Rugby Club (i was going other way on an e-bike in a yellow top, hood up).....

Could swear it was you....?!?

Midland Road Relays yesterday.... we had a very depleted team and were 24th, but at least we qualified for the National in a fortnight.

Nuneaton missed out on qualification by about 6 minutes. Kenilworth, Masseys, Northbrook and Sphinx fielded full teams but were further adrift. Don't thin Leamington even fielded a team.

Hats off to Massey Ferguson runner Martyn Brunt who ran in the relay, then did the Cov Way today!

Personally, i've been struggling with hamstring injury this past week, but had to run in the relay, took it steady to start with but was very pleased with 19:12 on a course generally reckoned to be about 45secs slower than a "pb" 5km course.... hopefully done enough to make the team for the National on the 15th.

Great_Expectations

Used to be a regular contributor to this forum and over Covid and beyond, went from a non-runner to running a weekly Sunday half and circa 40 miles a week. Even running a marathon PB of 4 hours.

It all stopped about 18-24 months ago, the usual but valid (!) excuses; we had a second baby which made logistics tough and I changed jobs twice in quick succession both times into increasing intense roles.

However, after a few failed starts, I’m now officially back on it. This is about week 6 of running on average 5 times a week and my “standard” run is up to 4.5/5 miles depending on how undulating a route I choose!

Motivation is two fold; I am sick of having a Dad bod, and I want a marathon PB next April!

Also stopped some of the bad habits such as the odd drink or two after work and giving into my sweet tooth way way too much! So down to one day a week where I’ll have a few drinks and possibly some form of chocolate! Plus special occasions…..

Todays run; 4.5 miles, average pace of 7.34 (min/mile).

@Rich was that you running the Coventry Way today???
I went past a chap in a Northbrook t-shirt right by the entrance to the old Bedworth Rugby Club (i was going other way on an e-bike in a yellow top, hood up).....

Could swear it was you....?!?

Midland Road Relays yesterday.... we had a very depleted team and were 24th, but at least we qualified for the National in a fortnight.

Nuneaton missed out on qualification by about 6 minutes. Kenilworth, Masseys, Northbrook and Sphinx fielded full teams but were further adrift. Don't thin Leamington even fielded a team.

Hats off to Massey Ferguson runner Martyn Brunt who ran in the relay, then did the Cov Way today!

Personally, i've been struggling with hamstring injury this past week, but had to run in the relay, took it steady to start with but was very pleased with 19:12 on a course generally reckoned to be about 45secs slower than a "pb" 5km course.... hopefully done enough to make the team for the National on the 15th.
not me mate. I’m a non runner now. Feel alot less injured in the three months since I stopped

larry_david

I did manage Sheffield half marathon a few weeks ago, 1 hr 45 and to be honest, I managed the hills well. Elevation was 306m

Did some hill training in the weeks leading up to it and it made a big difference, plus once you get 9k in its pretty much downhill from there on. Dare I say it, the Bury 10 miler was tougher.

Leeds next in a few weeks but seriously battling a dodgy ankle that is on FIRE for the first 1k or so then settles down

tommydazzle

At my local Parkrun last week , got chatting to a couple of finishers as we were getting scanned and we all reckoned the course was 100 metres too long by our various gps watches. If this was true I reckon that’s 30 seconds or so off our times! Would have been an excellent new PB. I assume they mark out these courses with a click wheel or something more accurate?

Sick Boy

Approaching 3 weeks without running because of being injured and going on honeymoon - next week will be brutal.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’m thinking of doing the north brook 10k in July , anyone done it ?

Sky_Blue_Daz

As a former member of Northbrook I’ve done the route a few times. It’s a tough start up browns lane but it’s a cracking route with a downhill finish.
Sorry to bother you mate but what is the route ? I may have done some of it in the past

Travs

Its a nice course but i don't think its necessarily a "pb" course.

A busy few weeks for me....

Have been out running around the Yorkshire Dales this weekend.... was supposed to be racing the Yorkshire Three Peaks again yesterday, but managed to get selected for the Warwickshire team for the inter-counties mountain running champs which is next weekend.... so i couldn't be doing a 4hr race this weekend then performing well next week, so had to ditch the Three Peaks.

Inter-counties next weekend, then 6 days later its the next round of the English Fell Champs at the Fairfield Horseshoe in the Lake District.

Would love to have a bash at a fast 5km track race or parkrun as feel i'm in pb form and could possibly get close to 18mins.... however i'm trying to be sensible this year, target important races (such as the two coming up) and train solidly in between.... so banging out a hard 5km for no real reason just isn't in the plans at the moment as it would certainly have an effect on the the next few days of training.

SkyBlueSoul

Been too busy with life to run much recently but I'm moving into a new flat tomorrow that's 5 minute walk from my local Park Run so will give that a try next week.

Users who are viewing this thread