Running (1 Viewer)

Rich

Had a good run out today with a mate from Nuneaton Harriers. Out along the canal from Bedworth, Bulkington, Shilton, Ansty Golf Course, and back via Cov Way through Barnacle. 14 miles, nearly all off road and very hard going.
I saw the other fellas time. Wow you boys don’t hang around.

Travs

I saw the other fellas time. Wow you boys don’t hang around.

I don't know what pace we were doing, but given the distance and the underfoot conditions, it felt strenuous enough.

We are very closely matched and had some great battles in the cross-country over the last few years. In the National Cross Country last year we battled 12km over awful terrain, and i managed to win by 4 seconds! We did a 5km "time trial race" a couple of weeks back and were stride-for-stride for 4km, until he iced me by 15secs on the final km.

Rich

I don't know what pace we were doing, but given the distance and the underfoot conditions, it felt strenuous enough.

We are very closely matched and had some great battles in the cross-country over the last few years. In the National Cross Country last year we battled 12km over awful terrain, and i managed to win by 4 seconds! We did a 5km "time trial race" a couple of weeks back and were stride-for-stride for 4km, until he iced me by 15secs on the final km.
He keeps running round my local Strava segments. Leaves me with no chance of topping them as I'm not quite on your guys level....yet.

Rich

A good week of running for me last week. A last minute shout from a mate saw me do 5.5km on Tuesday, the brief was a steady run out. That was until we came upon a .8km long segment to which he challenged me to a race. Beat him by 4 seconds without getting into top gear, so I was happy with that.

Wednesday saw me head out on a perfect 5km route that someone I know had found. Having not put in a decent run since November I decided to push for a sub 25. Quite happy with a 24:31, especially given that you have to run from Pete's Chippy up to town (if you're Beduth you know this is one long incline approx 1km).

Sunday saw me head out on the same route again, effort but nowhere near to pushing it. Had a 30 second walk due to a twinge in my achilles 25:30.

I've decided to try and do 1 training session per week and at least 2 5kms. I've decided I must have a rest day between runs in an effort to avoid injury.

This week I have my crazy pyramid hill session planned, with another couple of decent pace 5ks. The ultimate aim being sub 25 comfortable (I was about there before I got ill in August) with one sub 20 on my parkrun record.

Sbarcher

Reading this thread makes me very jealous! Used to run marathons in my 20s and 30s. A few years ago I had one knee replaced and an Arthroscipy(? spelling) on the other. Can't run anymore and would feel a bit embarrassed doing speed walking!
Make sure you don't overdo it, mix with other training methods or you will f**k up your knees as I have done.

Travs

A good week of running for me last week. A last minute shout from a mate saw me do 5.5km on Tuesday, the brief was a steady run out. That was until we came upon a .8km long segment to which he challenged me to a race. Beat him by 4 seconds without getting into top gear, so I was happy with that.

Wednesday saw me head out on a perfect 5km route that someone I know had found. Having not put in a decent run since November I decided to push for a sub 25. Quite happy with a 24:31, especially given that you have to run from Pete's Chippy up to town (if you're Beduth you know this is one long incline approx 1km).

Sunday saw me head out on the same route again, effort but nowhere near to pushing it. Had a 30 second walk due to a twinge in my achilles 25:30.

I've decided to try and do 1 training session per week and at least 2 5kms. I've decided I must have a rest day between runs in an effort to avoid injury.

This week I have my crazy pyramid hill session planned, with another couple of decent pace 5ks. The ultimate aim being sub 25 comfortable (I was about there before I got ill in August) with one sub 20 on my parkrun record.

Rich i am in Bedworth, although over the over side near Ash Green.

Macca

None of us are even close to Eddie Izzard. He’s been on the 30 marathons a month thing again but to make it worse on treadmills. Fair play to him after about half hour on a treadmill I’m about ready to die of boredom

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Tonight's run consisted of a challenge one of our bootcamp friends set!
Run 0.5 mile. Repeat it after a break (period of your choice but keep it challenging, we're not talking hours 🤣) and try to come within 10 seconds of you me previous time!
Disappointed I fell at the first hurdle, although I did go all out on my first go and got a 3:42 min / half mile pace!!
second was 4:03 min so over the 10 seconds, dammit! Did a third attempt anyway for shits n giggles! Got 4:01 so still not close to the original time! 😫
One to work on I think but proves what I've already known about myself; no matter the distance I always start off too quick! 😫 Although I did choose a hill to run it on too 🤦🏻‍♂️ (Image of street not taken today! 🤣)

5410DB75-A5CA-41CD-9EBA-F9106F6C73C7.jpeg

50562D4F-1372-4608-9A4C-1533E87367AB.jpeg

ED7BF7B8-F980-4497-8138-392B5F264E88.jpeg

05F6AD85-9FD4-4E0B-9843-A5AFBA730A9C.jpeg

Travs

Effectively that's rep training.

Yes it is very difficult to judge pace until you've done a lot of similar sessions.

Obviously it was something from within your training group... but if you enjoyed it i'd strongly suggest setting a number of reps before you start and doing them no matter what. Will learn how to pace them much faster, and the benefit you gain will shoot up. It's always worth starting a little slower and building into the session, until you have an idea of what times you can consistently hit.

Incidentally our club session which i did this morning was 800mtr reps, with 2 minute rest. Did 7...

Last edited:

Travs

Nice one... 6:12 is fairly shifting.... in the theme of the posts above, would be interesting to see what time you got doing another mile shortly afterwards...

Travs

I’d have been lucky to break 10 mins!

Quite!

I recall running a Track Mile race in summer 2019, and it remains one of the hardest races i've ever done. I certainly wasn't running anywhere afterwards!

Perhaps my comment should have been worded "it would be interesting to see what consistent pace you could achieve doing several repeats of the mile distance", which would be a huge barometer of progress.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Effectively that's rep training.

Yes it is very difficult to judge pace until you've done a lot of similar sessions.

Obviously it was something from within your training group... but if you enjoyed it i'd strongly suggest setting a number of reps before you start and doing them no matter what. Will learn how to pace them much faster, and the benefit you gain will shoot up. It's always worth starting a little slower and building into the session, until you have an idea of what times you can consistently hit.

Incidentally our club session which i did this morning was 800mtr reps, with 2 minute rest. Did 7...

Im definitely more of a distance runner! Although after dropping the miles during all these lockdowns even that is debatable 🤣

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got my 4 miles done first thing this morning lovely and quiet

Rich

Did Beduth parkrun this morning. Just under 25 minutes. Doing it without the crowds of Parkrun day, you realise it’s a brutal course.

Travs

Did Beduth parkrun this morning. Just under 25 minutes. Doing it without the crowds of Parkrun day, you realise it’s a brutal course.

I've done several "Bedworth Parkruns" since this time last year... I do 4 laps of the upper loop, plus a little bit extra, gives 5km without doing the bottom section. Which i believe is the route they use on the "unofficial sunday 5km"

It's still quite tough though, even those twists and that hill up by the skate park.

Rich

I've done several "Bedworth Parkruns" since this time last year... I do 4 laps of the upper loop, plus a little bit extra, gives 5km without doing the bottom section. Which i believe is the route they use on the "unofficial sunday 5km"

It's still quite tough though, even those twists and that hill up by the skate park.
Aye Sunday goes the opposite direction and it’s just 4 laps of the main route. Really boring.

Travs

To be honest when i'm going for a fast 5km i'm looking for a time, not too fussed if it's boring or not!

I did my last 5km effort on a loop near the Water Tower which was very good... although yes could be seen as very boring!

Rich

To be honest when i'm going for a fast 5km i'm looking for a time, not too fussed if it's boring or not!

I did my last 5km effort on a loop near the Water Tower which was very good... although yes could be seen as very boring!

5B6F302D-5C86-4A82-A035-FAE728E291D4.jpeg I know what you mean 😭

Travs

The loop bottom-left is almost dead on a km.... 5 laps, plus a tiny bit extra gives a pretty flat 5km.

It's good for an honest quick time.

Great_Expectations

Still not ready to run - just walking to the shop tires me out.

Going to attempt a short run early next week though and see how it feels. I’ll keep the pace really slow and the route very local just in case!

Marty

I'm back running again, been out for 5, 3.5km runs, super slow times but enjoying it and already seeing massive improvements, I've gone from a 22 minute 5km too 27 minute 3.5km.

Travs

I did 15 miles today, very steady 8min/mile all the way. Bedworth-Greyhound-Longford-HighfieldRd-Centre-Butts-FourPoundsAve-MoseleyAve-BeakeAve-Bedworth....

Strong headwind all the way back from FourPoundsAve made it an unpleasant second hour.

Users who are viewing this thread