Running (7 Viewers)

Is anyone doing the Coventry Half Marathon this weekend?

I've been laid low with a cold and not ran since wednesday morning, but i might be out along the route somewhere on sunday if i can shift it....
I’ll be on the start line. Not sure I’ll make the finish line, but I’ll give it a go.

Sky_Blue_Daz

My wife is , she’s really stressing as she’s only done 9 miles

Travs

Hope she did ok Daz....?

I was out and about on Tamworth Rd between the 8 and 9 mile markers. Poor weather for road runners. I'd imagine the front-runners wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but for those who may only race a couple of times a year i can imagine it was a miserable couple of hours.

The leader was a couple of minutes clear at 9 miles, but looks like it closed right up by the end.

Sphinx looked like they had quite a strong team out today... if they can get them all to turn out for the cross-country i could see them getting promoted this year.

I enjoyed that. The rain made it perfect conditions with a cap on.
I planned a sub 2 run, executed it perfectly and finished just over 1:57. Probably could’ve gone a few minutes faster but it wasn’t my plan today. Got the 2 hour monkey off my back in my second half marathon so I’m all good with that.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Could have done with less standing water but the weather did keep things cool i suppose. Anyone know if they're going back to running these in the Spring or will they stay autumn runs now?

Gint11

I played competitive football for 20 years and could run all day. I’ve still got some engine now at 38 but after a couple of weeks of running every other day I get a pain in my knee. Think it’s to do with joint impact running on roads/pavements. I think brisk walking or swimming is better generally.

Hydro spinning. That’s levels

Sky_Blue_Daz

Hope she did ok Daz....?

I was out and about on Tamworth Rd between the 8 and 9 mile markers. Poor weather for road runners. I'd imagine the front-runners wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but for those who may only race a couple of times a year i can imagine it was a miserable couple of hours.

The leader was a couple of minutes clear at 9 miles, but looks like it closed right up by the end.

Sphinx looked like they had quite a strong team out today... if they can get them all to turn out for the cross-country i could see them getting promoted this year.
Morning mate
She did it in 2hours 35 mins she was gutted as her back went about 8 miles in . Bloody awful conditions though fair play to everyone that did it
I thought the finish line on the hill was a bit cheeky

Sky_Blue_Daz

I enjoyed that. The rain made it perfect conditions with a cap on.
I planned a sub 2 run, executed it perfectly and finished just over 1:57. Probably could’ve gone a few minutes faster but it wasn’t my plan today. Got the 2 hour monkey off my back in my second half marathon so I’m all good with that.
Well done mate , me 3 nephews did it too . 2 of them did it in about an hour and a half the other lad was just over 2 hours and my wife was 2:35

Travs

Warwick uni xc this morning. Never done it before, it’s something different that’s for sure.

How did you find it...?

It's a great informal event for having a look at XC running.

I was supposed to be there.... however i got a last-minute callup to our first team to run in the National XC Relays at Mansfield. I was well out of my depth, losing about 11 places on the anchor leg. Ran 20:17 for what was about 50 metres over 5km, hilly woodland and grass. Felt the lack of race-sharpness, could certainly hope to run better there in the future. |Though most people in our team were 90-120secs down on their flat 5km time, so i guess i ran about par for the course....

Interesting that apart from Nuneaton Harriers, there were no other Coventry clubs there (i think Rugby & Northampton were, and got a good placing)..... i often notice this... Massey/Northbrook/Sphinx turn up in vast numbers to local races, parkruns, Cov half, etc.... whereas Godiva are often notable by their low numbers.... Yet at the big national stuff, its totally opposite.

I guess its just different focus for the clubs and athletes.... fair play to all of them... and bring on the League XC next weekend at Crewe...!

Travs

At the risk of asking a dumb question in what way is it different?

XC = cross country

So it's off road.... i don't know in what condition the course was, but i train on it regularly and it varies from bone dry, rock hard and rutted, to muddy and waterlogged. A couple of little hills on there.

It's fairly kind as XC courses go, but even then it's still tougher than a road race of equivalent distance and demands strength as well as speed.

Some of the league and the county/regional/national XC courses can be evil. Parliament Hill in London where the national champs are being held in February is utterly horrific.

@Travs you ask how I found it….

I really enjoyed it, the start was fast the middle was long with a couple of boggy sections and the end, that final hill could do with steps.

I ran a fairly decent pace for my current fitness with 4:50/km average. Butrue cold really got on my chest for the first time this season.

One thing I wasn’t expecting is how much recovery I’d need. I had a quick nap yesterday and I’ve just slept 10-8:15 which is a good couple of hours longer than normal.

I might start lapping Bedworth Ressi for practice, if it’s worn me out that much it must be good for the fitness.

Travs

@Rich nice one, well done. Yes that little climb is tough... if you can become stronger on the hills it really makes a difference on XC as you can gain an advantage onpeople through strength and determination, rather than having to rely on speed (which i'm far from blessed with!)

Is Bedworth Ressi the little lake behind Newtown Road...?

I used to run over on Astley Pit, although i haven't been up there for a while and i'm not sure what access is like now with the new housing developments going on round there. But that has plenty of undulations, muddy paths, and some outright pathless nasty stuff if you just go straight over the top of it.

Also making up some routes utilising the Cov Way is probably the best option round here. Either out to Barnacle/Ansty way, or over towards Corley. I have a cracking route from Goodyers End/Ash Green way, out through the fields alongside the M6 to Corley Services, Corley Moor, Fillongley, and back onto the Cov Way near Breach Oak Farm... about 11.5 miles with a variety of grass, inclines, woodland and road.

Are you running the league fixture at Crewe next weekend? That is a decent course... again there are a couple of hills but its not overly nasty... 3 laps.

@Travs the ressi is at the bottom of coalpit fields. It runs alongside the canal up to hawkesbury. I was over the pit in the summer on the mtb and see how it could be good hard running in the winter.
I’m half decent on hills already, during cov half I scooted up hollyhurst so fast it was unbelievable. No one could stick with me up there.

I did plenty of the Cov way runs last year. It’s about 9miles to Corley moor and back from here so I may get out there on a Sunday too.

Crewe is a bit far for me to be bothered with tbh. Next one I’m in for is Jan 6th. Newbold common I think it is.

Travs

Ah yes, the county champs on Jan 6th (or is it 8th?)... Quite flat, twisty and fast for the most part, one decent hill towards the end of a lap, then downhill into the finish. Usually a two lap race i think.

We are blessed round here to have such a strong XC league and regional/county champs... i am able to run as a guest in the Cumbria XC League and the standard and intensity just doesn't even come close (which is surprising as there's a number of good clubs up there).

Ah yes, the county champs on Jan 6th (or is it 8th?)... Quite flat, twisty and fast for the most part, one decent hill towards the end of a lap, then downhill into the finish. Usually a two lap race i think.

We are blessed round here to have such a strong XC league and regional/county champs... i am able to run as a guest in the Cumbria XC League and the standard and intensity just doesn't even come close (which is surprising as there's a number of good clubs up there).
Could well be the 8th mate.

Travs

Opening fixture of the Birmingham League Cross Country yesterday, on farmland a few miles outside of Crewe.

A real bumper day, as traditionally the opening fixture sees the ladies sharing the same venue, and all three mens divisions racing together. So it was over 600 on the start line for the mens race.

A great turnout from the Cov clubs, plenty of Massey/Northbrook/Sphinx vests around, andd a handful from Cov Triathletes as well. Godiva had 21 racing in the mens, of which i was 12th finisher.

Not seen full results yet, but i ran 90secs quicker than last time we were there 2 years ago, but don't think i finished any higher up the results... it's a strong league this year. In the top division, i think Godiva came 6th... Birmingham University taking an early lead, followed by Birchfield, Loughboro Uni, Tipton, BRAT, then ourselves.

Onto the next fixture at Northampton in 3 weeks... although got the small matter of a 10 mile road race next weekend, followed by a fell race relay the weekend after, to worry about first.

Travs

Club night with Godiva last night....

12 x 400mtr reps with 1 minute rest between.

Managed them all at a consistent 3:20/km pace, which is decent but not groundbreaking by my standards.

Main thing is they were completely consistent throughout, and with only a minutes rest it was a hard session. After 5, i wondered if i'd get to 10 without falling apart, but dug in.

GIves me some confidence that i can hold my target pace (at or just under 4:00/km) in next weekend's 10 mile road race at Carlisle.

Travs

Brampton-Carlise 10 Mile today. The oldest 10 mile road race in the country...

64:20.... aimed for 64mins so can't really quibble about 20 seconds.

Travs

Our league cross-country fixture was in Northampton today (the Division 2 ladies were also there, so that one also included Sphinx, Northbrook, Massey Ferguson).

Bright, windy and cold.

I ran 39:50 for a muddy, grassy, hilly 10km and it was still only good enough for 153rd. Even a minute improvement would only have seen me move up 10 places..... need to be going sub-35 to even hit the top 60. The standard of Division 1 is just ridiculous.

Looks like Birmingham University are walking away with it this season. Our mediocre showing today has seen Warwick University sneak in front in the battle for top local honours.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got 7 done this morning it was bloody cold though

Travs

Club night with Godiva. 5 x 1km with 90secs rest. A much hillier km circuit than usual, and quite a battle with the wind. First three done in around 3:45 but then the weekend started to tell in my legs, and was down to 3:55 by the final rep.

8 miles, and 5 miles AM, a solid start to the week.

Users who are viewing this thread