Robins to Stoke? (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Anyway, FWIW I think Stoke is one of the few teams that it might have legs Robins going. Cash to spend, supportive owner, closer to his home (I think) and maybe the momentum from us will slow down now. Stoke also like appointing worthy British managers - think Pulis, Jones, Hughes, Lambert, O'Neill!

Cons are that something seems to be fundamentally flawed at Stoke where they spend money but don't achieve, no matter who their manager is. Also, Jones tried to change the club's style and failed dismally - are they set up for a management team such as Robins and Viveash, and would he get the time he's had here to implement his ideas?

I'd say he's in the reckoning for the job however, although chances are it goes to somebody else.

alexccfc99

General consensus amongst Stoke fans seems to be that they don’t think they could either afford or would fork out compensation to take another clubs manager

Sick Boy

More chance of promotion? They are crap
They’re an established Championship team with more chance of promotion to the PL sooner than us - they also finished 2 points behind us last season.
It would be a challenge but he’d have more chance of getting than you than us, especially while we’re still ran like a lower league club.

NorthernWisdom

I'd have thought Dyche is likely to be the candidate of choice for them. If they were to plump for Robins I think we'd struggle to keep hold of him but i think he'll be a little way down the list (hopefully).
Dyche is a good call, tbf. He might want to wait for an Everton or similar, though?

(I also forgot Gary Rowett in the list of worthy British managers Stoke had hired!)

Saddlebrains

Anyone here who thinks he wouldnt go are deluded.

An actual transfer budget, better owners, better chance of promotion (on paper) double his money, and weve all agreed the club goes no further under the current owners, why would he tread water milling about in the championship when potentially hes took us as far as he can?

Im tempted to stick a tenna on this, hes 9/1 currently

alexccfc99

They’re an established Championship team with more chance of promotion to the PL sooner than us - they also finished 2 points behind us last season.
It would be a challenge but he’d have more chance of getting than you than us, especially while we’re still ran like a lower league club.

We could be ran better I’ll give you that, but Stoke have been a basket case since they were relegated - spent millions on quite frankly garbage players and failed to mount a serious challenge in those years, their reining back on the spending which is clear to see this season and if it wasn’t for the Coates family they’d be going the same way as Derby in my opinion

Wrong job for him in my humble opinion but we’ll see what happens

chiefdave

General consensus amongst Stoke fans seems to be that they don’t think they could either afford or would fork out compensation to take another clubs manager
Is the Bet365 owner not putting money into them? Wouldn't have expected them to be that hard up.

Liquid Gold

If he wasn’t tempted by Sunderland when we were both in League 1 and when we were playing at St Andrew’s, why the hell would he be tempted by Stoke City
The obvious difference between now and then is that we were on an upward trajectory and most likely on the cusp of a promotion which we achieved.

He could realistically say that he's taken us as far as he can now and look to take on a job that will pay him more and give him more of an opportunity to manage in the Premier League.

If the rumours around us having to sell this month to keep the bills paid are true too then why not jump ship before losing Vik/Cal/Hamer and having a worse season than last time around and letting your reputation slump.

I'm not saying he'd take it but I can see exactly why now would be a good time for him to jump ship and why Stoke would be a great option.

robbiekeane

Fuck sake 😂 people absolutely desperate for a rumour like this what have you done

Sit back and watch 20 pages of shite pile up. By page 20 it’ll be the only reason we haven’t sold 3 players is because SISU are saving money giving robins the chop instead.

But there’s no chance of reinvesting any of his wages that’s all to be banked (no matter how much he’s on) and the kit man is gonna be manager instead

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Dyche is a good call, tbf. He might want to wait for an Everton or similar, though?

(I also forgot Gary Rowett in the list of worthy British managers Stoke had hired!)

I don't think Dyche would be considered for Everton unless they managed to get themselves relegated but i think you may be right in general and he'd have sights set higher than Stoke. To be honest i've probably got an inflated view of Stoke and their attractiveness as a club; i just checked their transfer activity this season and it's all freebies and loans following a period (under O'Neill) of halving their wage bill. They look like they might be in the midst of a bit of a decline if the owners are pulling back a bit.

NorthernWisdom

I don't think Dyche would be considered for Everton unless they managed to get themselves relegated but i think you may be right in general and he'd have sights set higher than Stoke. To be honest i've probably got an inflated view of Stoke and their attractiveness as a club; i just checked their transfer activity this season and it's all freebies and loans following a period (under O'Neill) of halving their wage bill. They look like they might be in the midst of a bit of a decline if the owners are pulling back a bit.
The other way of looking at it is O'Neill has done the hard job of getting rid of the ageing deadwood they had littering the place, so the new manager gets a relatively fresh canvas to work with.

alexccfc99

The obvious difference between now and then is that we were on an upward trajectory and most likely on the cusp of a promotion which we achieved.

He could realistically say that he's taken us as far as he can now and look to take on a job that will pay him more and give him more of an opportunity to manage in the Premier League.

If the rumours around us having to sell this month to keep the bills paid are true too then why not jump ship before losing Vik/Cal/Hamer and having a worse season than last time around and letting your reputation slump.

I'm not saying he'd take it but I can see exactly why now would be a good time for him to jump ship and why Stoke would be a great option.

What rumours?

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

The other way of looking at it is O'Neill has done the hard job of getting rid of the ageing deadwood they had littering the place, so the new manager gets a relatively fresh canvas to work with.

Yeah i'd not be surprised if Robins were to go if offered the position, I do think he's likely to have other candidates ahead of him though. Could be interesting to see if Mowbray figures at all.

rob9872

2m compo for him and we can keep the players

alexccfc99

I’d feel quite let down if Robins went to Stoke to be quite honest

All that work to go to Stoke a few games into a season would be a bitter pill to take - I’d have understood him going to Norwich last season when he was heavily linked cause it’s a club close to his heart and a genuine step up for me, but Stoke, come on

fatso

They've sacked their manager for having a bad start to the season, so I can't see them appointing MR as he is bottom of the league with no wins!!! 🙄

Skybluebeliever

Let’s hope Stoke have already have a short list without MR on it

wingy

Well I wonder if him and Aidy were aware of the apparent owners potential sale or other arrangement when they signed their extensions earlier on in the summer?

RegTheDonk

Perhaps NW means that MR would get more out of those players, or would have spent the money better?

FWIW I agree and think his future here is better. I think he's bedded in here, he's loved by the fans and, while not given much money, has a free reign from the owners. He's tried elsewhere without much success, I think the expectation and demand would be a lot on his shoulders.

pusbccfc

He's shot to 9/1 with the bookies.

Wasn't even on the shortlist an hour ago.

Users who are viewing this thread