Robins long term target (1 Viewer)

SBAndy

I like him. Was excellent in his first spell at Brum & like @SBAndy I was a big advocate for us signing him. He struggled with injuries a bit last season & of course Brum had that clown Karanka in charge for the most part too.
He's naturally left sided & very comfortable in possession, would bring the balance we were desperately missing last season.

Beat me to the punch.

fatso

What’s your thoughts on Clarke-Salter? Not seen him play but looks like he failed to get into a pretty poor Brum side last season.
Doesnt matter shmmeee, all that's important is hes on Chelsea's books, therefore we must get him in on loan.
Dont even try to talk common sence on here today!

fatso

In what way is he better than what we have or better than the likes of Clarke-Salter as an example?
He's a proper throwback 80's style defender, head & kick everything but woeful in possession. Even then McFadz pisses all over him in pretty much every relevant statistic.

Its pretty clear from what you've said on this & other threads that you don't watch a lot of football outside of us (which is fine) but he's been poor in all of the last 3 seasons.
He's 31 this year & likely wanting big wages. I'd be surprised if he finds himself a Championship move unless he's prepared to be a low wage substitute.
Cant see his wages being an issue as he's currently without a club, and very few championship clubs are throwing cash around.
Getting a contract and some game time is probably his priority.
And I watch a rediculous amount of football, which is why I just cant get my head around some of the crazy suggestions on here today (none of which will happen)
I mean seriously Toms91 suggested a teenager who has literally never played a competitive game of mans football in his life!
Wtf!!!

shmmeee

Cant see his wages being an issue as he's currently without a club, and very few championship clubs are throwing cash around.
And I watch a rediculous amount of football, which is why I just cant get my head around some of the crazy suggestions on here today (none of which will happen)
I mean seriously Toms91 suggested a teenager who has literally never played a competitive game of mans football in his life!
Wtf!!!

That’s the market we’re in though. Loans only by the looks of it. Which probably means untried kids from the Prem. Matty James was an exception to the rule but there aren’t many of him laying about.

Personally I’d sell one of the Crown Jewels if we’re that skint because I agree I think we need better than kids but Robins can’t magic up some cash or interested bidders so we are where we are.

Frostie

Wtf!!!

Fair enough, wasn't trying to be condescending, it's just you said the other day you'd never heard of Ian Maatsen which I was surprised by.

Well, even if Lees was to take a 50% pay cut he'd still be our highest earner... What attributes does he have to warrant that apart from "experience"?

I'd rather take a talented youngster on the way up who fits our style of play than an experienced but expensive has been that doesn't to be honest.

Ccfcisparks

Wtf!!!
You ever heard of Marc Guehi?

fatso

That’s the market we’re in though. Loans only by the looks of it. Which probably means untried kids from the Prem. Matty James was an exception to the rule but there aren’t many of him laying about.

Personally I’d sell one of the Crown Jewels if we’re that skint because I agree I think we need better than kids but Robins can’t magic up some cash or interested bidders so we are where we are.
Yea, I said yesterday that one may have to go, we need at least 3 quality players in, and time is running out now.
It needs to be a busy week if we are going to be competitive against Forrest. I'm backing MR to pull something good out of the hat.

fatso

You ever heard of Marc Guehi?
Yes of course 2 seasons at Swansea and ready for the next step up.
For every Guehi there are numerous failures, what we need now is at least 2 quality defenders, taking a punt on a kid with little quality cover could leave us in the shit.

Sky Blue Pete

Yea, I said yesterday that one may have to go, we need at least 3 quality players in, and time is running out now.
It needs to be a busy week if we are going to be competitive against Forrest. I'm backing MR to pull something good out of the hat.
We aren’t selling anyone we want to keep for less than a significant fee

skyblueelephant76

Two key things: firstly, the season before at Blues he was shifted out to LB for a good portion of the season and they thought he was good. Then last season he was injured a fair bit so didn’t get much chance to play, and then there was a change of manager. The fact he’s played LB really sells this to me as he should be capable defending in wide positions and that’s exactly what you need in a back 3.
He only has a year left on his Chelsea contract and turns 24 in September. I would have thought Chelsea would be looking to sell him rather than loan him out again.

wingy

Well it's a bit bloody late to be selling isn't it?

TomS91

Wtf!!!
Dujon Sterling had never played a senior first team game when he signed for us. He wasn’t bad was he?

TomS91

And Kent, Armstrong hadn’t scored a senior goal. Bayliss and Maddison others
Exactly. Literally every footballer has played their first game at some point. It’s not a metric to measure quality. And actually if you take a punt on somebody without experience you can end up with better quality than somebody with 100/200/300 games behind them.

SBAndy

He only has a year left on his Chelsea contract and turns 24 in September. I would have thought Chelsea would be looking to sell him rather than loan him out again.

Possible that Chelsea have a year’s extension, or that he signs a contract extension before coming to us. I think it’d be stupid on his part, but plausible.

fatso

Dujon Sterling had never played a senior first team game when he signed for us. He wasn’t bad was he?
He was very good tbf, But comparing one former player with no league experience to a potential new one means nothing.
I mean it’s as relevant as me saying “what about Bouwe Bosma”. It would mean absolutely nothing.
This season we are in the unique position of having no one available at LWB so taking a punt on a young kid would be a massive gamble, And massive gambles can occasionally come off, but if this one didn’t, we would be in a whole load of shit. For example we took a punt on Josh Reid, he was very highly rated, and 19 years old with Scottish league experience, And that has yet to be fruitful. (Although I’m sure it will be eventually)
I’d much rather loan someone with at least some proven ability, or persuade sisu to raid the piggy bank once more, Or even as a last resort look to offload someone and generate the funds that way.

SlowerThanPlatt

He was very good tbf, But comparing one former player with no league experience to a potential new one means nothing.
I mean it’s as relevant as me saying “what about Bouwe Bosma”. It would mean absolutely nothing.
This season we are in the unique position of having no one available at LWB so taking a punt on a young kid would be a massive gamble, And massive gambles can occasionally come off, but if this one didn’t, we would be in a whole load of shit. For example we took a punt on Josh Reid, he was very highly rated, and 19 years old with Scottish league experience, And that has yet to be fruitful. (Although I’m sure it will be eventually)
I’d much rather loan someone with at least some proven ability, or persuade sisu to raid the piggy bank once more, Or even as a last resort look to offload someone and generate the funds that way.

No offence intended to Reid and he has plenty of time but I would think Maatsen is considerably ahead

SBAndy

Doesn’t work that way. Comparing a Chelsea youth player to Bouwe Bosma is crackers. Besides, that’s been one suggestion. The player most of us are talking about has plenty of EFL experience; do we just disregard that because he’s not up to Chelsea’s standard?

Tea & Busquets

Brighton have this tidy young centre half called Van Hecke who has been quite decent on loan in the Eredivise, maintaining an average match rating of 6.96 with 2324 minutes played. Same age as Ostigard, reckon if MR can’t get Osti back he could contact them for Van Hecke? Don’t see it happening but if Osti’s staying surely that means VH would be loaned?

slowpoke

Brighton have this tidy young centre half called Van Hecke who has been quite decent on loan in the Eredivise, maintaining an average match rating of 6.96 with 2324 minutes played. Same age as Ostigard, reckon if MR can’t get Osti back he could contact them for Van Hecke? Don’t see it happening but if Osti’s staying surely that means VH would be loaned?
Shows the competition Ostigard has to make the Brighton first team squad. With Brighton also having the Ben White money to spend I still think he won’t get in, where that might leave us who knows.

hill83

Getting a decent taxi fair paying up front rather than running the meter.

Users who are viewing this thread