Robins linked with Bristol City. (1 Viewer)

wingy

Bloody hell
Better not get to much closer to the Robin's or this is going to come off .🤭

On a different note (pragmatic) is achieving roughly 50% of Norwich's total in any way extraordinary?

NorthernWisdom

In this thread a bunch of people who think psychology doesn’t matter at all in sport. 🤔
And any half decent psychologist would be advising the players not to read this forum!

In a wider sense, there's an interesting clash between the need for a marketable presence on social media, and the need to avoid mentalism, but this is a discrete place really - it'd be like staying to hear a table at a pub spend all evening isting your faults, you may be compelled to do it if you happen to be there, but the wisest thing is not to seek those particular tables out in the first place!

wingy

And any half decent psychologist would be advising the players not to read this forum!

In a wider sense, there's an interesting clash between the need for a marketable presence on social media, and the need to avoid mentalism, but this is a discrete place really - it'd be like staying to hear a table at a pub spend all evening isting your faults, you may be compelled to do it if you happen to be there, but the wisest thing is not to seek those particular tables out in the first place!
Yeah but doesn't stuff on here get tweeted out?

shmmeee

I think it’s fairly harmless here, but the expansion to “social media” in general I disagree with. Clearly it impacts players and in fact whole clubs as we’ve seen with Jodi Jones and the many (thankfully not here) racist comments directed at players on Twitter and Instagram. Also it bleeds into the abhorrent “I can boo players at matches because they’re professionals so should be robots” line.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I think it’s fairly harmless here, but the expansion to “social media” in general I disagree with. Clearly it impacts players and in fact whole clubs as we’ve seen with Jodi Jones and the many (thankfully not here) racist comments directed at players on Twitter and Instagram. Also it bleeds into the abhorrent “I can boo players at matches because they’re professionals so should be robots” line.
I don’t think fans forums will bother them. They’re no different to me sitting In a pub with you saying Shipley is shit or Allen is shit.

The players themselves probably discuss players themselves in a WhatsApp group

NorthernWisdom

See, my own view is here I can say what I feel like about the players, as the alternative is boring very disinterested family. At a game though, never understood why you'd boo them during the game - if they're doing badly, it's not going to encourage them to do better!

TomRad85

I don’t think fans forums will bother them. They’re no different to me sitting In a pub with you saying Shipley is shit or Allen is shit.

I heard Jodi Jones himself call Peter Vincenti a shit baller, so I'm pretty sure they speak exactly as we do.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hobo

See, my own view is here I can say what I feel like about the players, as the alternative is boring very disinterested family. At a game though, never understood why you'd boo them during the game - if they're doing badly, it's not going to encourage them to do better!

Also if a player is having a bad game, they know and dont need telling.

Most managers and coaches let players sort it out themselves at half time and just add one or two key points.

A lot of people on here seem to think leadership involves chest thumping, roaring and kicking opponents up in the air - it really isn't. Leadership comes from calm heads and quiet words, doers who lead by example, and people who are positive and make people laugh and relax.

You need a mix of the above in the dressingroom. Anybody who thinks social media doesn't or can't affect players is a fool.

Grendel

Also if a player is having a bad game, they know and dont need telling.

Most managers and coaches let players sort it out themselves at half time and just add one or two key points.

A lot of people on here seem to think leadership involves chest thumping, roaring and kicking opponents up in the air - it really isn't. Leadership comes from calm heads and quiet words, doers who lead by example, and people who are positive and make people laugh and relax.

You need a mix of the above in the dressingroom. Anybody who thinks social media doesn't or can't affect players is a fool.

It’s funny as robins management style is more in what I suspect you think draconian style - if you challenge him you are gone - as we will see

Hobo

It’s funny as robins management style is more in what I suspect you think draconian style - if you challenge him you are gone - as we will see

Why do you think that? Have the club refunded your season ticket money lol

Draconian - that is why he was telling them to calm down after they scored last night. Why he played down the importance of the match before the game. Why he doesnt really criticise individuals post match.

You think you make this forum interesting lol. People are bored of your desperate interjections trying to prove points you have been wrong about.

Last edited:

procdoc

Stop pretending that you’re ‘in the know’ G. So far you have been wrong about most things. Only thing I agree on is that Max and Wilson are shite, the rest you just talk bollocks to be honest. Wouldn’t have you any other way though!

Legia Sky Blue

Maybe its an age thing on my part, but I view what you might say off the cuff in a pub or at a match as being very different to putting thoughts in writing, and which are there to be seen for eternity.

Having said that I have no issue with the knee jerk match threads, which are always funny to read back, or even with posters saying they think players/ manager are no good, even if I disagree. What makes me uncomfortable though are mindless vindictive insults of players we are supposed to be supporting.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Maybe its an age thing on my part, but I view what you might say off the cuff in a pub or at a match as being very different to putting thoughts in writing, and which are there to be seen for eternity.

Having said that I have no issue with the knee jerk match threads, which are always funny to read back, or even with posters saying they think players/ manager are no good, even if I disagree. What makes me uncomfortable though are mindless vindictive insults of players we are supposed to be supporting.
Possibly, I think players are grown up to know nowadays that people are going to have erratic opinions.

Now I don’t agree with abusing them directly, that’s just wrong, and personally I love when a player gets abused for 70 mins and gives it back. Used to make me laugh when the telegraph gave bothroyd shit and when he scored he gave them the middle finger... the fans outrage was hilariously ironic.

But saying <player a> is shit, or fans criticising part of their play is water of a ducks back because ultimately they’re all good enough to play at professional level. They know this and the only opinion that matters is their manager.

Our opinions of people who are far better than our own level are really inconsequential. No worse than saying Politicians are shit. Ultimately footballers don’t really care how the masses perceive their ability

Sick Boy

Why do you think that? Have the club refunded your season ticket money lol

Draconian - that is why he was telling them to calm down after they scored last night. Why he played down the importance of the match before the game. Why he doesnt really criticise individuals post match.

You think you make this forum interesting lol. People are bored of your desperate interjections trying to prove points you have been wrong about.
What he says in public to the press is going to be very different to what goes on beyond closed doors - I’m sure he and the management dish it out to the players.

Hertsccfc

Agree with this. I really hate when 'fans' single out particular players at a match for criticism. Of course we all have our own individual views of them but during a match support them.

It’sabatch87

Pearson is doing a wank job at Bristol
They’ve 13 of their squad out of contract in the summer.
A mate of mine who’s a BC supporter says they’re on the beach already and have been for a couple of months regardless of Pearson arriving,I’d be pretty pissed though if Pearson can’t get them motivated.
They won their first five games too,A good job really!!

Legia Sky Blue

If I was a Bristol City fan I would be spitting feathers, their players are just going through the motions. They have some quality in their squad, but like we saw when they played us a couple of weeks ago those players don't want to put the effort in. Whoever is in charge of them next season has a big job on their hands to change that mindset.

skybluesam66

Most football managers are like that. The reason is that on the whole they are not well educated, particularly the old school ones

Magwitch1

I don’t have a lot of time for Nigel Pearson but in his defence he is on a hiding to nothing at Bristol City, short term contract, more than half the squad out of contract with their agents working overtime to get them clubs for next season he’s possibly unpopular in the dressing room and players get you sacked and with their very keen owner I have doubts Pearson will be there next year, could it be Robins at the robins ? as they say footballs a funny old game.

DannyThomas_1981

Well you challenge him by idiotically ordering taxis every year - is there actually some hope for the rest of us that Robins might arrange for you to be gone? 😀

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread