Robins best ever signing (1 Viewer)

SleepyGinger

Since his return who would you say is robins best signing?

Doyle and mcnulty were massively important for getting us out of league 2. Could make a point Hyam and Kelly for longevity and possibly mccallum for financial reasons.

I’d go for Dabo on a free.

skybluegod

From a financisl point of view it has to be McNulty or McCallum.

From a personal point of view, I can't pick any one player as being heads and tails above the rest (except maybe Walsh), the key to being successful has been that 80% of our transfers have improved the team, compared to previous years where about 10/20% improved the team where we have had that one stand out player join (ie. Armstrong, sordell, Leon Clarke, Mcgoldrick) but the rest have been gash, whereas now one could argue almost all our signings have been 7/8 out of 10

hill83

30ef1bdb-2d77-424b-9055-e42e7da46d79

Skybluedownunder

From a financisl point of view it has to be McNulty or McCallum.

From a personal point of view, I can't pick any one player as being heads and tails above the rest (except maybe Walsh), the key to being successful has been that 80% of our transfers have improved the team, compared to previous years where about 10/20% improved the team where we have had that one stand out player join (ie. Armstrong, sordell, Leon Clarke, Mcgoldrick) but the rest have been gash, whereas now one could argue almost all our signings have been 7/8 out of 10

You rated Sordell? I thought he was garbage personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evo1883

It is a hard question because like somebody said we've gone from signing players like Kevin Foley as a typical signing to Dominic hyam as a typical signing... Many players currently in the squad have the capacity to be Robins best signing going forward... But up to now its Kelly for me

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s a difficult question. So I’ve broken it down into a few categories.

The single most important signing he made was immediately signing Doyle after we dropped down to L2. The first thing we needed was a good leader and he brought that from the off.

Overall, Kelly is a good shout, an important leader in L2 promotion and then captained us to L1 promotion.

The ‘best’ player in relation to impact and league, is McNulty who scored around 30 goals in a season.

Diamond in the rough goes to McCallum. Signed from V9 academy for nothing and sold for millions. Hyam is a close second.

Brylowes

Dabo has been a revelation since his arrival on a free, many others deserve a mention as well
but Marosi has been an exceptional addition to the team GK is such an important position to
get right and the whole team has benefited from his presence.

KenilworthSkyBlue

If we're going by the impact a player has had on the side since Robins returned then Kelly wins it. Last season especially demonstrated how invaluable he is to the side, both on and off the field.

But I must say, in terms of quality, Dabo deserves a notable mention. As I'm still to this day baffled as to how Robins and the backroom staff managed to recruit a player of such talent to a League One side.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s a really hard one this with so many choices

I think I’d have to go with Callum O’Hare on loan and now on a permanent deal. He looks the real deal in every way

superskyblue

Depends on the criteria really.

McNulty has had the most impact in the games he played so value per minute he has to win. Hyam has probably been the most improved from where we thought he'd be to where he is. Kelly mainstay and key player in three consecutive seasons. Dabo probably most valuable player, so could turn the most profit.

Pricey1984

Isn't it great that he has been such a success that we have so many options here :) For me it has to be McNulty. Without those goals we could still be stuck in league 2 (I'd like to think not, but we certainly wouldn't have gone up that season). Not to mention the quick profit made on him which probably lead to us signing Chaplin, who we also made profit on. Win win all round

djr8369

Out of them all who surprised you, as in did they perform above or below expectations?
Above - McCallum - I remember MR raving about him but the first couple of times I saw him he looked to not have a good touch (maybe he was nervous). One thing that was obvious early on was he would see the progressive pass to make.
Below - I though Allassani would do better and be similar to Jones, although we never saw a lot of him to base that on.

CCFC88

Kelly and Hyam currently.

Special mention to Doyle, without Doyle there probably wouldn't have been McNulty. Without those two there probably wouldn't have been L2 promotion.

Reactions: SBT

djr8369

Out of them all who surprised you, as in did they perform above or below expectations?
Above - McCallum - I remember MR raving about him but the first couple of times I saw him he looked to not have a good touch (maybe he was nervous). One thing that was obvious early on was he would see the progressive pass to make.
Below - I though Allassani would do better and be similar to Jones, although we never saw a lot of him to base that on.

And to answer the original question.
Overall - Kelly
Honourable mentions, McNulty for goals, O’Hare for potential ability, Dabs for current ability, Hyam for consistency, McCallum for good business.

cooperskyblue

I would potentially put Hyam in there. Signed and looked destined for u23s and I think he has just got better and better. Played in the L2 Play-off final at Wembley, Player of Season in L1, Top draw again last season.

AOM

But in all seriousness, probably Liam Kelly.
Always seemed to be glaringly obvious when he was absent from the team imo

SleepyGinger

Above- agree with mccallum or potentially marosi, wasn’t expecting much after reviews from Doncaster fans and was thinking he might be second choice when he first signed.
Below- would have to be ogogo for me, even after that first game va Scunthorpe I thought he looked Good.

djr8369

Above- agree with mccallum or potentially marosi, wasn’t expecting much after reviews from Doncaster fans and was thinking he might be second choice when he first signed.
Below- would have to be ogogo for me, even after that first game va Scunthorpe I thought he looked Good.
Both Marosi and Wilson are good shouts as at first it sounded like they would be in tight competition for No1 spot.
I had forgot Ogogo. Looked like a player in that first game but then that was probably his best game!

fernandopartridge

Robins has made some poor signings too, which on paper you wouldn't have expected to be so: Ogogo, Brown, (ultimately) Andreu, Kastaneer, Vincente. Possibly harsh on Vincente who did contribute a couple of important goals.

I'm not so bothered about the signings for the development squad that didn't work out, not much ventured nothing gained from those.

djr8369

Robins has made some poor signings too, which on paper you wouldn't have expected to be so: Ogogo, Brown, (ultimately) Andreu, Kastaneer, Vincente. Possibly harsh on Vincente who did contribute a couple of important goals.

I'm not so bothered about the signings for the development squad that didn't work out, not much ventured nothing gained from those.
Oddly it seems to generally be the ones you’d expect to have worked out that didn’t and the rough diamonds that did. Maybe a lesson to not worry about signing established players.

Users who are viewing this thread