Rico h Arena Move Will Break Partnerships (3 Viewers)

torchomatic

cloughie

But he said Wasps' relationship with Coventry Rugby Club, who play at the Butts Park Arena, could be "a very positive one in the end".
_78074235_78074234.jpg

torchomatic

YEs, he did, but also: "We've been doing the same in our area in Buckinghamshire, in Middlesex and Oxfordshire and all those links and all those partnerships that have been built up over a long, long time with clubs are going to be broken."

But he said Wasps' relationship with Coventry Rugby Club, who play at the Butts Park Arena, could be "a very positive one in the end".

MichaelCCFC

But as I said on another thread, this is the Wycombe area and Wasps shouldn't have been there anyway.

If Wasps move from here in 5 years are we going to bemoan the fact they are going to break links here? :confused:

But as I said another thread...

Yeah, people moaning about their club being moved miles away from what they see as its home. Can't imagine anyone in Coventry expressing that kind of view

Otis

But as I said another thread...

Yeah, people moaning about their club being moved miles away from what they see as its home. Can't imagine anyone in Coventry expressing that kind of view

That's kind of what I am hinting at. Surely the Wasps tenure at Wycombe was firstly, wrong, as it was moving 50 odd miles away and 2, temporary.

Can't see how people in Wycombe can bemoan losing a team that wasn't even theirs!

If Wasps leave here in 20 years time I will most certainly not be moaning about them hurting our local community and breaking links. They are not a Coventry club. Wasps were not a Wycombe club.

torchomatic

You're coming across as a bit of a Franchise Fan, to be honest.

That's kind of what I am hinting at. Surely the Wasps tenure at Wycombe was firstly, wrong, as it was moving 50 odd miles away and 2, temporary.

Can't see how people in Wycombe can bemoan losing a team that wasn't even theirs!

If Wasps leave here in 20 years time I will most certainly not be moaning about them hurting our local community and breaking links. They are not a Coventry club. Wasps were not a Wycombe club.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Try telling that to 80% of their fanbase in Wycombe.

Otis

How?

Isn't he saying it was wrong for them to go to Wycombe, let alone come here?

Exactly what I am saying. They shouldn't have been in Wycombe. Though I have a little sympathy, I cannot see how they can moan too much about a club that doesn't even belong there cutting links with that local area.

Otis

Exactly what I am saying. They shouldn't have been in Wycombe. Though I have a little sympathy, I cannot see how they can moan too much about a club that doesn't even belong there cutting links with that local area.

The price of a franchise I should imagine. No loyalty or history or hertitage to that area.

Gazolba

Once they have been here a few years they will be a Coventry club. In all but name they will be Coventry Wasps. If they think it is in their interest, they may well change their name eventually.

Otis

Once they have been here a few years they will be a Coventry club. In all but name they will be Coventry Wasps. If they think it is in their interest, they may well change their name eventually.

Will any of us ever accept them as a Coventry club?

Otis

So you're against CCFC,because both Fisher and Waggott have both used the word franchise at various times to describe the club:thinking about:

Why would I believe anything they would say?

Franchising is wrong. Seemingly though, to some, it's fine having a club come in,but when you have one taken away it's a completely different thing and becomes a problem.

stupot07

So you're against CCFC,because both Fisher and Waggott have both used the word franchise at various times to describe the club:thinking about:

Ann Lucas described us as a franchise in the announcement about the wasps deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

letsallsingtogether

So no one should watch the World Series or Super Bowl. As those sports are full of them
I'm not assuming anything. I would want and expect everyone to be anti franchise though.

Rusty Trombone

Will any of us ever accept them as a Coventry club?

I'll be more interested in knowing how they are getting on, and if they do some cheap tickets for schools I'll probably take the kids to watch, but ultimately I want Cov to best the best team in Cov, and I hope they get a chance to reach their potential.

letsallsingtogether

So what happens if Cov get promoted and Wasps get relegated (or allowed to)?
I'll be more interested in knowing how they are getting on, and if they do some cheap tickets for schools I'll probably take the kids to watch, but ultimately I want Cov to best the best team in Cov, and I hope they get a chance to reach their potential.

Otis

So no one should watch the World Series or Super Bowl. As those sports are full of them

But that is the States. Completely different countries and cultures. Can't compare to entirely different cultures.

It's happened with regularity over decades over there, here it is much more a rarity.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Why would I believe anything they would say?

Franchising is wrong. Seemingly though, to some, it's fine having a club come in,but when you have one taken away it's a completely different thing and becomes a problem.

To be honest Otis ,I don't agree with it and I will not go and watch Wasps,but will go to the Butts to support Cov as I've said several times on here. However these are some of the arguements that some will use to justify going. Same as the hundreds of Coventry people who go to watch Leicester and Northampton instead of their own home town club are they any better?

torchomatic

Sorry, totally misread what you said.

How so? By saying Wasps shouldn't have played in Wycombe and that they shouldn't be playing here?

How on earth is that pro franchise? :confused::confused:

Rusty Trombone

They could be in the same league, and with Cov becoming a feeder club would Wasps just take all their players?

I've not seen any comments from the teams suggesting Cov will become a feeder club, I think Wasps have said they are prepared to loan Cov players, but that's different.

With such a small amount of teams getting promoted and relegated in Rugby, I think it could be a long time before the teams end up in the same league.

I've no idea about how feeder clubs are treated in Rugby, and whether they have to be in different divisions.

letsallsingtogether

Rubbish when they play at Wembley you can't get a ticket for love nor money so those going are supporting Franchise sport. So as it is not our culture Wembley should be empty bar a few Yanks that live over here.

Or is it because it is American it is alright.

Sorry more fuckin double standards.

You ether agree with franchising or you don't.

I for one don't watch the WS or the SB.

But that is the States. Completely different countries and cultures. Can't compare to entirely different cultures.

It's happened with regularity over decades over there, here it is much more a rarity.

Bennets Afro

I live in Nuneaton and have been in the pub all day and i'll say is this!.... The amount of people that were looking forward to premiership rugby on their doorstep was frightening. People who I've known a long time all of a sudden are rugby fans and can't wait for the first game.

I gave them a dressing down in morals and ethics. their response. I just love rugby and its closer than leicester!

For me i hope this whole wasps thing come back to sting them in the ass and fails more then our temp home in northampton. I think it would be brilliant to spend so much money on a franchise and for it to fail!!!!

Otis

Rubbish when they play at Wembley you can't get a ticket for love nor money so those going are supporting Franchise sport. So as it is not our culture Wembley should be empty bar a few Yanks that live over here.

Or is it because it is American it is alright.

Sorry more fuckin double standards.

You ether agree with franchising or you don't.

I for one don't watch the WS or the SB.

It is completely different. Different country, different culture.

Of course I don't like it when teams move to completely different cities. It doesn't effect us on any single level though does it. The States is huge and in NFL football most individual states have just one single team. One team in a state that the UK could easily fit in 10 times over.

There is no comparison at all. They don't have our heritage, they don't have our history, our communities, our tribalism, our rivalry.

You just simply cannot compare. You can be against franchising, yet go to watch an NFL team at Wembly. There is nothing hypocritical in that.

It's a different model, a completely different kettle of fish. It has always happened in the US, from the onset of the sport. It has therefore become the norm. That doesn't mean franchising is okay or anyone has to approve, it just means there is no comparison.

My team is the Washington Redskins. If they ever moved I would be gutted for sure, but it just isn't the same.

You cannot compare the model of the US to that of here. It just doesn't have our history, loyalty, community, heritage, history, close proximity or tribalism or rivalry.

We are a very small country and it obviously hurts us so much more. Franchising is an accepted face of sport in the US, here it is not. We feel it on a much more personal level, because it is indeed much more personal.

Jus because it is accpeted in no way makes it right of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread