Retained list (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

I'm sure Maroši will be moved on & a new No.1 brought in.
I’m assuming there is one lined up will be interesting to see if it is a young one such as Christian Walton just released from Brighton or an experienced 30+ year old out of contract there’s plenty of them to pick from can be costly wage wise though.

Hertsccfc

No. He had a bad patch but even at his best his use of the ball was terrible, like L2 level bad.
I always find your posts interesting notwithstanding that it feels sometimes like we watch completely different matches. I think your views might be more reflective of the general view, so maybe I am missing something.

I feel McCallum and Hyam have been two of our best players this year. Hyam started really well, and ended well. In the middle he had a dip in form but as he had played so many matches that is understandable. There is no way in my view that he is League 2 standard. I know you have similar views on McCallum, who in my view was only behind O'Hare for player of the season.

I might be wrong but I think you also rated Allen this season which I must admit I could never see.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

bloody hell!!! Osti and Gyo will have only just got back to Brighton, the way the trains are being scrapped, give 'em chance to unpack

Actually the train never made it. There was an incident where a train manager used unacceptable language and the passengers are now being held in quarantine whilst an investigation takes place. Osti and Gyo are two of said stranded passengers.

1620910881803.png

Hertsccfc

I always find your posts interesting notwithstanding that it feels sometimes like we watch completely different matches. I think your views might be more reflective of the general view, so maybe I am missing something.

I feel McCallum and Hyam have been two of our best players this year. Hyam started really well, and ended well. In the middle he had a dip in form but as he had played so many matches that is understandable. There is no way in my view that he is League 2 standard. I know you have similar views on McCallum, who in my view was only behind O'Hare for player of the season.

I might be wrong but I think you also rated Allen this season which I must admit I could never see.
Just to add, I like Ostigard as much as most people on here, but if Hyam's passing is League 2 level then Ostigard's would be Conference level at best. It was so remarkable how much better we were in those last two matches with Rose's passing from defence. I feel for some reason Hyam is unfashionable on here so the poor passing from others is attributed to him.

By the way I accept in other ways Ostigard is brilliant but honestly his distribution is much worse than Hyam's. And Hyam spent most of the season on the left .

shmmeee

I think Allen did OK in a couple of games, rate is a bit strong.

I think the reason I disagree on McCallum and Hyam is because I think our biggest problem was progressing the ball out of defence and attacking down the flanks and they were the worst culprits for it.

I get McCallum is a great defender (we’ll have to agree to disagree on Hyam, I felt he made some terrible mistakes defensively and was “done” by attackers more than anyone else), but both were by far the most frustrating on the ball. McCallums final ball for a wing back is terrible, which I really don’t get because he’s got a decent left foot. But the real crime is both him and Hyam use of the ball in the first/middle third. Both make terrible pass decisions and slow down attacks, get teammates into trouble, generally give the ball away.

I’ve said before as a LB I’d have Sam every day of the week, he’s good in the tackle and the air. But for me, in our system where all our width comes from the wingbacks we need better and at this level we need to look after the ball much better than L1. That’s ask why as much as I love Kelly, and he clearly does a captains job, I wouldn’t have him near the first team next season.

We are a footballing team and if we are going to keep that we need good technical footballers.

SBAndy

I think Allen did OK in a couple of games, rate is a bit strong.

I think the reason I disagree on McCallum and Hyam is because I think our biggest problem was progressing the ball out of defence and attacking down the flanks and they were the worst culprits for it.

I get McCallum is a great defender (we’ll have to agree to disagree on Hyam, I felt he made some terrible mistakes defensively and was “done” by attackers more than anyone else), but both were by far the most frustrating on the ball. McCallums final ball for a wing back is terrible, which I really don’t get because he’s got a decent left foot. But the real crime is both him and Hyam use of the ball in the first/middle third. Both make terrible pass decisions and slow down attacks, get teammates into trouble, generally give the ball away.

I’ve said before as a LB I’d have Sam every day of the week, he’s good in the tackle and the air. But for me, in our system where all our width comes from the wingbacks we need better and at this level we need to look after the ball much better than L1. That’s ask why as much as I love Kelly, and he clearly does a captains job, I wouldn’t have him near the first team next season.

We are a footballing team and if we are going to keep that we need good technical footballers.

Generally agree with this and have to say I was slightly disappointed that Kelly got a 2-year extension - disappointed, but not the end of the world; may have plans to transition into the coaching staff for all I know. But it’ll concern me more if he plays a significant amount of games.

McCallum improved hugely the last few games and, off the back of those, I wouldn’t be wholly disheartened if he were to return next season but equally I’d rather someone with more attacking impetus.

stupot07

Generally agree with this and have to say I was slightly disappointed that Kelly got a 2-year extension - disappointed, but not the end of the world; may have plans to transition into the coaching staff for all I know. But it’ll concern me more if he plays a significant amount of games.

McCallum improved hugely the last few games and, off the back of those, I wouldn’t be wholly disheartened if he were to return next season but equally I’d rather someone with more attacking impetus.
Me too. I have to say I there is definitely a 'recently' biaised in terms of rating players. McCallum is a prime example, he's been pretty average for most of the season up until the final 7-8 game run in. And even then apart from his throw ins which are lethal, he has contributed little going forward from wing back. But some only focus on this recent run in.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we re-signed him, however if we're playing with wingbacks next season and want to kick on we need someone better in possession.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Me too. I have to say I there is definitely a 'recently' biaised in terms of rating players. McCallum is a prime example, he's been pretty average for most of the season up until the final 7-8 game run in. And even then apart from his throw ins which are lethal, he has contributed little going forward from wing back. But some only focus on this recent run in.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we re-signed him, however if we're playing with wingbacks next season and want to kick on we need someone better in possession.

Yeah definitely, that’s the nature of football fans. If Hamer had his “good” part of the season in the second half he would have won POTS or got more of a mention. Same as a player being crowned “best player we’ve had for 20 years”, I think 5 or6 have been suggested just this season!

D

Deleted member 11652

Is Giles available?

Hertsccfc

We have to disagree on McCallum but I have been saying all season that he was playing well not just at the end. Right from the start I felt he was much better than Giles. Still think McCallum will play more top level matches than anyone else who played for us this season.

stupot07

We have to disagree on McCallum but I have been saying all season that he was playing well not just at the end. Right from the start I felt he was much better than Giles. Still think McCallum will play more top level matches than anyone else who played for us this season.
We'll have to agree to disagree about his consistency and performances this season. I'd place Hamer, Ostigard, McFadzean and half a season of James in addition to likely winner O'Hare well above McCallum as player of the season.

I do agree he will likely play more top flight than any of the other players in the squad, but for me that will be as a full back not wingback.

D

Deleted member 11652

Would you? I'd rather an upgrade on the pair of them, unless we drop wingbacks and go back to 4 at the back then I'd happily have McCallum back.

You would but then again you rate Biamou and hate o’hare

stupot07

You would but then again you rate Biamou and hate o’hare
Haha keep making shit up.

1. I said it was a mistake losing Giles as he offers more attacking ability and pace and meant we lost another option on the left.

2. I said Biamou did a decent job as 3rd/4th choice given his limited ability. He was nowhere near as bad as you and others made out. Its probably the right thing to do to let him go and upgrade

3. My only gripe about o'hare is his lack of goals. Given he's played virtually every minute in an attacking position, 3 goals in 46 games, and going 36 games from beginning of November to the Millwall game without scoring is a poor return for someone in his position.

D

Deleted member 11652

Haha keep making shit up.

1. I said it was a mistake losing Giles as he offers more attacking ability and pace and meant we lost another option on the left.

2. I said Biamou did a decent job as 3rd/4th choice given his limited ability. He was nowhere near as bad as you and others made out. Its probably the right thing to do to let him go and upgrade

3. My only gripe about o'hare is his lack of goals. Given he's played virtually every minute in an attacking position, 3 goals in 46 games, and going 36 games from beginning of November to the Millwall game without scoring is a poor return for someone in his position.

You couldn’t understand why we played Mccallum over Giles. You wax lyrical about Biamou but criticise O’hare for a lack of goals! Hilarious

stupot07

You couldn’t understand why we played Mccallum over Giles. You wax lyrical about Biamou but criticise O’hare for a lack of goals! Hilarious
Wax lyrical about Biamou haha praising good performances isn't waxing lyrical.

And yes there is a difference, o'hare is the star first choice no. 10. Do you think 3 goals is a good enough return? Max scored at 351 mins per goal, o'hare scored at 1258 mins per goal.

And yes I couldn't understand why Giles wasn't getting a look in at a time we were rarely creating and struggling for goals during that second quarter.

D

Deleted member 11652

Wax lyrical about Biamou haha praising good performances isn't waxing lyrical.

And yes there is a difference, o'hare is the star first choice no. 10. Do you think 3 goals is a good enough return?

And yes I couldn't understand why Giles wasn't getting a look in at a time we were rarely creating and struggling for goals during that second quarter.

You love a striker that doesn’t score but criticise our best player because he doesn’t get 20 goals a season from midfield. If O’hare added goals to his game he’d be playing for a top prem side. You’re definitely on the committee of the Cult

Giles didn’t get a look in because he couldn’t defend. Next you’ll be telling me you’re in the Ben Wilson Brotherhood too

procdoc

let’s face it Giles didn’t pull up any trees at Rotherham. McCallum improved as the season went on, I’d have him over Giles any day of the week

Hertsccfc

let’s face it Giles didn’t pull up any trees at Rotherham. McCallum improved as the season went on, I’d have him over Giles any day of the week
No contest, but Giles does have potential. Needs a season in Leaguue 1 or maybe League 2 to develop his game. May come good and become a good Championship player in due course.

stupot07

You love a striker that doesn’t score but criticise our best player because he doesn’t get 20 goals a season from midfield. If O’hare added goals to his game he’d be playing for a top prem side. You’re definitely on the committee of the Cult

Giles didn’t get a look in because he couldn’t defend. Next you’ll be telling me you’re in the Ben Wilson Brotherhood too
20 goals from midfield? Lol. I'd be expecting 8-10 from that position. Alex Mowatt for Barnsley got 8 from that position.

Great wumming by the way. I'll leave you to it.

Users who are viewing this thread