Retained list (3 Viewers)

larry_david

I imagine it will come out tomorrow morning now but yeah, baka is gone it seems.

Hobo

OK take the point. In a pandemic, it is going to be really difficult to offload players. At the moment, you can have nine players on the bench and we have some players in contract that are not troubling the bench and MR has hinted he wants to get rid. Lot of clubs trying to do the same. So what’s to do? Best case scenario loan out and the other club will pay their wages. Next, loan paying part wages, but still a tough one to arrange. Then you loan out, you pay the wages and hope their form improves so you can sell or offload on a free transfer. Most likely, you say they can leave on a free transfer and see if there are any takers. Finally, it’s the payoff, or cutting your losses. I’m not an accountant and not familiar with football finance but I assume it is similar to most business practice. Old Sky Blue would know. You pay part of the contract up in a lump sum. If accepted, you no longer have to make National Insurance or pension payments. Depending on the payoff, you can break even after a period of time and save money thereafter. Not ideal, but better than paying the whole contract in increments until it runs out. Used to happen all the time. Not sure if its an option during current times but may be a necessity.

The best thing is with notice and a good agent, some if not in Robins plans, might get a contract in League 1 or 2 with a couple of promotions on their CV. Playing regular football and a sweetener for leaving might be appealing to some players.

SkyBlueDom26

McFadzean - Keep
Hyam - Keep
Thompson - Let go
Kelly - Keep
Jones - Year contract on low wages to see if he can prove himself
Biamou - Let Go
Bakayoko - Let Go

lifeskyblue

McFadzean - Keep
Hyam - Keep
Thompson - Let go
Kelly - Keep
Jones - Year contract on low wages to see if he can prove himself
Biamou - Let Go
Bakayoko - Let Go

I would agree with that. Only caveat...we would need a 4th choice striker no worse than Max who will be happy to sit on the bench for most of the season. Could Tavares be that player (v different type of striker). Also need a top class striker to work with Walker (when/of play two up top) then Godden down to bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offhegoes

I'd have a fully fit Godden ahead of Walker starting next season, if we are able to bring in a No 1 striker. Unless Robins goes for a striker to fight it out with Godden & Walker for the 2 spots e.g Ladapo

Sick Boy

I'd have a fully fit Godden ahead of Walker starting next season, if we are able to bring in a No 1 striker. Unless Robins goes for a striker to fight it out with Godden & Walker for the 2 spots e.g Ladapo
Walker is better overall than Godden and has more chance of becoming an established Championship striker - I'd have Godden as 3rd choice.

SleepyGinger

I think Godden and Walker both have the ability to score goals at championship level but they are similar players. Could do with someone to play alongside one of them. Probably have to look at the loan market.

Walker
Godden
Mobile target man (keinan Davis?)
pacey striker (Morgan Rodgers?)

Skyblueweeman

Walker is better overall than Godden and has more chance of becoming an established Championship striker - I'd have Godden as 3rd choice.

Not sure I agree with you there. I'd say Godden is more of an instinctive, natural finisher than Walker.

If I could guarantee them being injury/covid free next season, I'd gladly have them leading the line together. Walker playing a slightly more withdrawn role.

I think them two, with O'Hare in behind, could be pretty lethal.

I do get the Walker is younger though and has more time to prove himself at Championship level.

JulianDarbyFTW

We haven't really had a chance to see Godden and Walker as a proper partnership - the two or three games they played together, one or both were unfit. I genuinely think they'll be lethal together once they get chance to build a rapport.

rob9872

I think Godden and Walker both have the ability to score goals at championship level but they are similar players. Could do with someone to play alongside one of them. Probably have to look at the loan market.

Walker
Godden
Mobile target man (keinan Davis?)
pacey striker (Morgan Rodgers?)
Hope not Davis, always looked dreadful when I've seen him. Tbh would rather keep Max.

Reactions: vow

rob9872

Could kind of understand more if you're buying raw potential at 19 or 20 but he's 23 and scored 3 in 71. I'd expect that from a centre half let alone a striker.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Is he close to being able to train again/be available for pre season?

Can't remember if he had another set back or not.

Jodi Jones has been training since March, no reported set backs .

stay_up_skyblues

Could kind of understand more if you're buying raw potential at 19 or 20 but he's 23 and scored 3 in 71. I'd expect that from a centre half let alone a striker.

Id probably take him in a front two with Godden or Walker alongside. He does look decent at everything but scoring. Up top on his own and the taxi keys would be jangling.

mark82

To be fair, those stats are a little misleading as they aren't full games. Don't know much about him but wouldn't base too much on a few minutes here and there over the last couple of seasons.

rob9872

To be fair, those stats are a little misleading as they aren't full games. Don't know much about him but wouldn't base too much on a few minutes here and there over the last couple of seasons.
Do you know how many of Bakas appearances were as sub? Only 25 and a record of 36 in 218 total. Stats can be misleading but they're all we have to use as a yardstick and imo he should score more.

Everyone said Ponti needed more game time here and was the most natural finisher at the club. He's had a couple of injuries but 0 in 14 for Wrexham again suggests the gaffer was right. Whatever the level a striker needs to find some goals and we need a 15 goal a season striker next year to kick on, hopefully Godden or Walker steps up, but I can't see it being Davis.

Grendel

Do you know how many of Bakas appearances were as sub? Only 25 and a record of 36 in 218 total. Stats can be misleading but they're all we have to use as a yardstick and imo he should score more.

Everyone said Ponti needed more game time here and was the most natural finisher at the club. He's had a couple of injuries but 0 in 14 for Wrexham again suggests the gaffer was right. Whatever the level a striker needs to find some goals and we need a 15 goal a season striker next year to kick on, hopefully Godden or Walker steps up, but I can't see it being Davis.

ponticelli scored a goal every 109 minutes in league 2 promotion season - better than mcnulty - I think biamou did the same in all comps last season

What does this say?

Sky Blue Pete

I think it is a reflection of the journey the club has been on since he came to the club. Also the fact that he genuinely seems to care for the club and gave his all. There are so many players in the game who do not connect with the club in these ways.
To be fair the comments aren’t about that. Some are saying this is the worst decision robins has made and he will regret it. That he was the best striker at the club and we’d be better letting Walker leave and keeping max.

Users who are viewing this thread