Report into Ricoh Arena talks (2 Viewers)

SimonGilbert

Telegraph Tea Boy
Haven't seen many articles about councillors owing the tax payer shit loads of money and being investigated for fraud though?

We'd want to see some actually evidence of fraud before reporting such things. Especially if the person in question wasn't able to defend themselves.

However, we'd certainly pick up such stories once investigations are complete or if charges were brought.

But it'd be really poor form to run something like that on the basis of one person's complaint to the police for instance.

And raking over old stories about tax bills, that have previously been covered, doesn't seem like it offers a great deal of news value.

But I think we're going off on a tangent now. Especially as we're on a football forum.

Nick

Administrator
We'd want to see some actually evidence of fraud before reporting such things. Especially if the person in question wasn't able to defend themselves.

However, we'd certainly pick up such stories once investigations are complete or if charges were brought.

But it'd be really poor form to run something like that on the basis of one person's complaint to the police for instance.

And raking over old stories about tax bills, that have previously been covered, doesn't seem like it offers a great deal of news value.

But I think we're going off on a tangent now. Especially as we're on a football forum.

I agree, was just an example ;)

ccfcway

Simon, in the words of Gareth Keenan........."you will NEVER win. I will be fun trying though"

Specs WT-R75

So anyway, where is this meeting on Monday - I genuinely will bring popcorn... sealed bags only though after all this salty & sweet discussion...

stupot07

The "hell would freeze over excuse" is embarrassing bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Yep, as the fans representative Ann Lucas said the fans thought the council would have hell freeze over before dealing with SISU.

How long until Maton comes out to play?

Nick

Administrator
Simon, do any of the documents have a list of the actual insults? That would be a lot more readable / entertaining.

Godiva

It's not about agreeing though.

Yes the reports only came out today, yes you only got them today, yes you should report it.

It is the way there's no mention of it being from May and you come on here and try to push about the timing. If the timing is important, then you would have mentioned the date it all started.

Problem is Simon is in the NEWS business. He has to present the documents as news - to help that he downplay the fact the documents are from May.

M&B Stand

Couldn't agree more. But this report and accompanying documents are now in the public domain. If we don't report it, it would get out anyway. There's also a public interest argument.

Sisu are the ones pursuing this complaint. They may have a case, they may not. What is for certain is that it as unfortunate distraction and comes across as a bit self-defeating at a time when they are top of the table and in credit with the fans.

Just my view.

I'd rather just present the facts and people can make their own minds up.

But you give your view on the the pursuing of the complaint by sisu, and it being an unfortunate distraction and self defeating, just wondered what your view was on the sequence of events that ultimately led us there.

Not having a pop, just wondered what you thought. People also have a right to question timing.

Specs WT-R75

During the interviews, Coun Lucas was referred to a note taken during a council briefing in which she was attributed as saying “hell would freeze over” before the council should do a deal with Sisu. She said the comment had been made as she conveyed the views of CCFC supporters to colleagues, rather than expressing her own beliefs.

Yeah the same way she conveyed the feelings of constituents that also wanted hell to freeze over before we joined WMCA. The woman disgusts me.

Moff

I'd rather just present the facts and people can make their own minds up.

I respect the fact you can only post what you know, but lets face it we will never know the full facts of all thats gone on.

Last edited:

Ian1779

Sure the fact that no meetings about the Ricoh appear to have been minuted or recorded is anything to worry about.

This.

Good to see that the council are spending millions (whilst cutting monies all over the place) without so much as writing it down.

wingy

But why
It was without doubt the prevailing mood of the fanbase at that time.

NorthernWisdom

But why

Like it or not (and yep, I can fully appreciate the not!) the owners of the football club are the owners.

Now I'm allowed my ideological viewpoint, but it's dangerous of a council to provoke alienation and antagonism... as we've seen. They're supposedly there as they're better than me at smoothing over crises and plotting a way forward.

Has always been my argument (and it's one Corbyn would approve of ;) ) that talk not war is the first choice.

Sick Boy

The bit that stands out for me is SISU's new lawyer.

Top-5-Michonne-Moments.jpg

And that there is Rugby at the ricoh with music.

advert.gif

It's a shame the telegraph didn't take a leaf out of the local media at Northampton! Instead they much prefer to do Web takeovers for a franchise.

Grendel

But why

90% of the fan base would be indifferent either way.

To suggest Lucas is interested in the views of the public on any issue requires a quantum leap of faith

stupot07

But why

I disagree. A loud minority would have felt that way, the majority would have been indifferent and another portion would have seen ccfc united with with Ricoh as integral to future success. Owners come and go.

On the other hand, If they had of asked ccfc fans whether they should sell it to wasps instead of us....the majority would have said "after hell freezes over"

letsallsingtogether

90% of the fan base would be indifferent either way.

To suggest Lucas is interested in the views of the public on any issue requires a quantum leap of faith

Where do you get that % from?
And anyway I thought it was Mutton who said that phrase not Lucus?
I have to agree with the second part of your thread though.

Calista

Simon, in no way do I subscribe to the paranoia about bias in the Telegraph, and your journalism is normally very fine by me. However, in this case the article misled me. It’s written in the present tense about a past event - “Boss of Coventry City FC owners writes letter of complaint “, “Joy Seppala … has accused” etc. The most influential thing is the headline (“Sisu chief Joy Seppala accuses Coventry council …”), but I appreciate that you may not get to choose that. I guess the natural tendency for a newspaper is to make things sound immediate, rather than “old news”.

I read the article on my screen before shutting down my PC at work, and was wondering all the way home why SISU would have chosen to raise something like this now. If I hadn’t looked at this forum I’m not sure I would ever have realised that it happened back in the spring.

OK, you’ve now inserted “sent in May” halfway down, but it’s too little too late IMO.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
The panel is chaired by Labour Councillor Joseph Clifford and includes Labour colleagues Coun Damian Gannon, Coun John McNicholas and Coun Linda Bigham as well as Tory member Coun Allan Andrews.
the independent report, paid for by the council

All seems totally above board to me :whistle:

Sure the fact that no meetings about the Ricoh appear to have been minuted or recorded is anything to worry about.

What I don't get is that the majority are Labour councillors. Isn't Lucus Labour too?

And why only one independent? As if he / she is going to have any say over these other people?

Users who are viewing this thread