***Relegation Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Otis

But where will the goals come from?
That's the worrying aspect..

Well, time for the likes of Nouble and O'Brien and Turgott to step up to the plate.

Our goalscoring stats have been pretty dire all season long haven't they. A top scorer who has just 7 goals at this stage in this season is nothing short of pathetic.

Last edited:

Otis

If you look at a few of our relegation rivals, Crawley's top scorer has 18 goals this season, Notts County's has 10, Leyton Orient's 2 top scorers have 10 & 9 respectively. Scunthorpe's top scorer has 15, Walsall's top scorer has 15.

Our firepower has been sadly lacking all season. We will certainly miss Samuel for sure, for though he only had 6 goals to his name, he had only been here for a short period of time.

MichaelCCFC

Was feeling confident until after Wed's game. Orient are a v poor team but we managed to come away with nothing. If we lose on Monday and other results go against us we are in real trouble. With our home form so bad, what on paper should be easy home fixtures eg Colchester in reality don't offer any guarantee of 3 points at all. Bristol city away = 0 points and really don't want to go to Crawley needing something. But if we win on Monday everything looks a lot more positive. It's looking like a v big game for us.

shmmeee

It's kinda sad that this thread gives me the nostalgias. Looking at other results, working out the permutations, big six point games. Feels like the good old days.

Otis

It's kinda sad that this thread gives me the nostalgias. Looking at other results, working out the permutations, big six point games. Feels like the good old days.

You mean the good old, bad old days.

phildownunder

I mean of Notts County. We would be 5 points clear.

Dependent on other results, we could look a lot more comfortable with the 3 points in the bag.

I think it`s even better than that. If we got 3 points from this game we would effectively be on 50 points (considering goal difference) and could be practically home and dry I`d say.

If we did win and then couldn`t get 3 more points to reach 53 (which surely should be enough) from the remaining fixtures I reckon we`d deserve to go down.

Otis

I think it`s even better than that. If we got 3 points from this game we would effectively be on 50 points (considering goal difference) and could be practically home and dry I`d say.

If we did win and then couldn`t get 3 more points to reach 53 (which surely should be enough) from the remaining fixtures I reckon we`d deserve to go down.

Yep, totally agree with that, Phil. We win on Monday and we would probably only need one more win from 5 games and you would have to fancy us to do that.

coop

If we'd of beat a very poor orient side Wednesday we would of been 7 points clear of them. You can't guarantee a win we seem to struggle against the teams around us.

Otis

If we'd of beat a very poor orient side Wednesday we would of been 7 points clear of them. You can't guarantee a win we seem to struggle against the teams around us.

Nope, not at all guaranteed.

But you have to say we would take going into Monday's game 2 points clear of the 4th from bottom team, in a game that they have to win and we don't.

A draw for us will be fine. But with County having to go onto the offensive and attack us, I feel that suits us down to the ground. We can hit them on the break. I can see no reason why we can't go up there and at least bag a draw.

You have to remember that we have won our last 3 away games too. The pressure is very much on Notts County.

Steve.B50

Lets not give up the fight, get behind the lads and sing your heart out.
Look what it did at Peterborough, Chesterfield and Fleetwood?
Oh and Notts County have s "Hooters" lol

Otis

Lets not give up the fight, get behind the lads and sing your heart out.
Look what it did at Peterborough, Chesterfield and Fleetwood?
Oh and Notts County have s "Hooters" lol

I think we've already got enough tits in our own team to be honest, Steve.

maddog

In relegation battles it is all about do the other team have anything to play for which makes our run in problematic. Every game is a 6 pointer other than Oldham or against Bristol who may want to be Champions. Our season may depend on whether Bristol need to win and as a consequence, whether Preston need to win when they play the other relegation candidates. We have a real goalscoring problem and a lot of our team have been relegated before. The winning mentality seems to drain away when the pressure starts. Thats why the loan players seem more relaxed - they have nothing to lose. We murdered Orient in the second half but bad luck, their substitutions, one stupid error and our midfield capitulation turned the tide. Like against Doncaster, Fleck and O'Brien went from playing well to making really bad unforced passing errors that put the pressure back on the defence. The question is do our players have the bottle? I'm excluding the kids who should not have been thrown in at the deep end by Pressley. Ultimately, we are paying for the price for keeping Pressley (who got his last team relegated) too long and sticking with his duff decisions. I think CWR are complicit in their endless support for Pressley when it was clear to the overwhelming majority of supporters we were on the wrong track. Listen to Juggy the voice of the people next time Eakin. Mowbray only had the chance to bring in one player - Ward and he has been head and shoulders the best player on the pitch for us since his arrival, despite the home defeats. Perhaps Reda Johnson canturn the tide....if he can stay fit. Bad time to play a bogey side Notts County but at least it is away.

RegTheDonk

Have to say, after the Orient game I was a little concerned, but after yesterday's set of results, I feel quite a bit more confident about our predicament.

If we just take Monday's game in isolation, it has now become totally a must win situation for Notts County. Of that there is no doubt. They are at home and they need to win.

A draw for them will still leave them entrenched in the bottom 4, whatever the results are elsewhere. I think this suits us perfectly. I think we are best when we are on the counter attack and we have more space on breakaways.

Obviously a win for us would be the ideal scenario, but looking at the league table, a draw would keep us out of the bottom 4, whatever happens in the other games. A draw and we will definitely still be out of the bottom 4 come Monday evening and with Colchester at home on Saturday to come, we have to believe that, that game gives us the opportunity to nab the 3 points and pull us further clear.

I think the fact that we now know a draw will keep us out of the bottom 4, takes a degree of pressure off us going into Monday's round of matches.

And because a draw is all that is needed to keep us out of the relegation places, that now makes me more confident of us taking all 3 points from this fixture.

Looking at those stats you put up Otis of our record there doesn't fill me with confidence. My only hope is we've shown better bite AWAY from the Ricoh lately. I'm usually a glass half empty bloke and, coupled with (I think) the other relegation battlers being at home Monday, fear we'll find ourselves in the bottom 4. That'll really put the pressure on and could these players cope, we've seen time and again how fragile they can be.

Otis

Looking at those stats you put up Otis of our record there doesn't fill me with confidence. My only hope is we've shown better bite AWAY from the Ricoh lately. I'm usually a glass half empty bloke and, coupled with (I think) the other relegation battlers being at home Monday, fear we'll find ourselves in the bottom 4. That'll really put the pressure on and could these players cope, we've seen time and again how fragile they can be.

I am usually very much a glass half full guy.

I was despondent after Orient, but looking at the table as it stands now, I feel a lot more confident.

To sum it up.

1. A draw keeps Notts County in the bottom 4. They have to win, we don't. That suits us.

2. We have won 3 away games on the trot.

3. If we draw we remain outside the bottom 4.

4. We are better on the counter attack. The onus is on Notts County to attack us. That suits us.

5. We don't have to win and following Monday's game, even though our home form has been poor, the next 2 games are at home and are both winnable, Colchester and Oldham. If we can't get a win out of either of those 2 games we deserve to go down.

Otis

Notts County have an even worse home record than us so won't be feeling confident.

Yep, just checked that. They have only won 4 games at home all season.

Maybe it's all those Wasps signs putting them off. ;)

Brighton Sky Blue

I am usually very much a glass half full guy.

I was despondent after Orient, but looking at the table as it stands now, I feel a lot more confident.

To sum it up.

1. A draw keeps Notts County in the bottom 4. They have to win, we don't. That suits us.

2. We have won 3 away games on the trot.

3. If we draw we remain outside the bottom 4.

4. We are better on the counter attack. The onus is on Notts County to attack us. That suits us.

5. We don't have to win and following Monday's game, even though our home form has been poor, the next 2 games are at home and are both winnable, Colchester and Oldham. If we can't get a win out of either of those 2 games we deserve to go down.

If we go there with that attitude we will come away with nothing. We should see next week as the opportunity to put these relegation fears to bed-beat Notts Co, beat Colchester and then we can be confident.

Hobo

Lots of people thought Pressley was the complete problem (and he wasn't without fault) and Mowberry was the solution (some were even talking play-offs).

I said there will be many twists and turns...it will go to the wire. People were analysing a 5 game run and couldn't see where the point were coming from? We won 3 drew 1 and lost 1...yet remained only 3 points clear. Some teams have a game in hand. That is what relegation battles are like people start winning down around you.

Dont be surprised if we are bitting our nails against Crawley.

Otis

If we go there with that attitude we will come away with nothing. We should see next week as the opportunity to put these relegation fears to bed-beat Notts Co, beat Colchester and then we can be confident.

Well of course we wouldn't go there with that attitude, Brighton. That would be ridiculous. i am merely suggesting that the fact we don't have to win takes the pressure off us and can work to our advantage.

Of course we should go there to win. There will just not the panic and desperation there in place to get the win, the way there will be in the Notts County camp.

A draw for us is fine. That's a much better position to be in rather than that of Notts County's position of having to win.

We can simply play with more freedom and let's face it, we're not the best at all in must win situations are we!

J

Jack Griffin

Lots of people thought Pressley was the complete problem (and he wasn't without fault) and Mowberry was the solution (some were even talking play-offs).

I said there will be many twists and turns...it will go to the wire. People were analysing a 5 game run and couldn't see where the point were coming from? We won 3 drew 1 and lost 1...yet remained only 3 points clear. Some teams have a game in hand. That is what relegation battles are like people start winning down around you.

Most teams near the bottom who have even half a chance of survival pick up a bit of form in the run in, you see it every season & every league. It won't be easy.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We'd be nearly already relegated by now under Pressley, we would have been about 6/7 points worse off.

RegTheDonk

Well of course we wouldn't go there with that attitude, Brighton. That would be ridiculous. i am merely suggesting that the fact we don't have to win takes the pressure off us and can work to our advantage.

Of course we should go there to win. There will just not the panic and desperation there in place to get the win, the way there will be in the Notts County camp.

A draw for us is fine. That's a much better position to be in rather than that of Notts County's position of having to win.

We can simply play with more freedom and let's face it, we're not the best at all in must win situations are we!

When you examine it logically, that makes sense mate. Emotionally though, it's a "six pointer". Pressure will be really on both teams, they'll both think they need to win. A silly mistake will prove to be the difference I reckon.

If we get a result, you can top my glass up :)

Hobo

We'd be nearly already relegated by now under Pressley, we would have been about 6/7 points worse off.

I don't dispute that and if you read my post it is not actually about trying to big anybody up...it is about the reality of relegation battles (of which I have seen too many).

stupot07

When you examine it logically, that makes sense mate. Emotionally though, it's a "six pointer". Pressure will be really on both teams, they'll both think they need to win. A silly mistake will prove to be the difference I reckon.

If we get a result, you can top my glass up :)

Agreed. In fact you could argue there's more pressure on us to maintain and even extend that gap, especially given how poor we are at home.

As such both teams will be under immense pressure, and it will likely be a cagey affair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sky Blue Harry H

images

How can we be worried with supporters like these? :claping hands:

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't dispute that and if you read my post it is not actually about trying to big anybody up...it is about the reality of relegation battles (of which I have seen too many).

Yea, it was never going to be easy to turn around the sinking ship that Pressley had set in motion. The change of manager has given us a good chance, just in the nick of time as well it seems.

Otis

Agreed. In fact you could argue there's more pressure on us to maintain and even extend that gap, especially given how poor we are at home.

As such both teams will be under immense pressure, and it will likely be a cagey affair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Can't see how there is more pressure on us when it is Notts County who are 4th from bottom, stu and they would be the ones to go down if it remained that way, added to the fact that they have only won 4 games at home all season and we have won 3 away games in a row.

We draw on Monday, we stay out of the bottom 4. How can there be more pressure on us than on the side that has to win to get out of the bottom 4?

Some pressure on us. Stacks more on County I would say.

stupot07

Can't see how there is more pressure on us when it is Notts County who are 4th from bottom, stu and they would be the ones to go down if it remained that way, added to the fact that they have only won 4 games at home all season and we have won 3 away games in a row.

We draw on Monday, we stay out of the bottom 4. How can there be more pressure on us than on the side that has to win to get out of the bottom 4?

Some pressure on us. Stacks more on County I would say.

I'm not saying there isn't more pressure on Notts County, I'm just saying that there is pressure on us, we can't just play with freedom/forget about the result and just play as you suggested earlier/ it's what fergie called squeeky bum time, and our big problem is our big. problem is our home form. Just 5 points from our last 6 home games, the loss of samuels.

You say there's little pressure on us, but what happens if we concede first? We have a horrendous record coming from behind.

Make no mistake this is a true 6 pointer and the pressure on both teams will be huge (but more on notts as they are at home). Our horrendous home form (and poor record against bottom half teams) will add further pressure on us to get some form of a result. And add to that that no player/manager/fan will be wanting to go into the last match needing point(s). If we're agreeing 53 points is the target then we need 7 from 6, but we don't want to go into the final game needing them, so 7 in 5, 3 lf which is at home (poor form current form would be c2 points from 3 games) so we need 5 from the next 2 away games. Pressure.

Last edited:

The Gentleman

I'm not saying there isn't more pressure on Notts County, I'm just saying that there is pressure on us, we can't just play with freedom/forget about the result and just play as you suggested earlier/ it's what fergie called squeeky bum time, and our big problem is our big. problem is our home form. Just 5 points from our last 6 home games, the loss of samuels.

You say there's little pressure on us, but what happens if we concede first? We have a horrendous record coming from behind.

Make no mistake this is a true 6 pointer and the pressure on both teams will be huge (but more on notts as they are at home). Our horrendous home form (and poor record against bottom half teams) will add further pressure on us to get some form of a result. And add to that that no player/manager/fan will be wanting to go into the last match needing point(s). If we're agreeing 53 points is the target then we need 7 from 6, but we don't want to go into the final game needing them, so 7 in 5, 3 lf which is at home (poor form current form would be c2 points from 3 games) so we need 5 from the next 2 away games. Pressure.

Lets hope the players don't read this forum then

stupot07

Lets hope the players don't read this forum then

Let's hope they bloody do. They need to realise we're in deep shit and pull their bloody fingers out. That last 15+ mins on Wednesday 1-0 down agains a relegation rival at home was a disgrace.

ccfcway

Let's hope they bloody do. They need to realise we're in deep shit and pull their bloody fingers out. That last 15+ mins on Wednesday 1-0 down agains a relegation rival at home was a disgrace.

Funny, because i agree. dont get why we didnt go for it and try and get back in the game.

It was almost like it was over when they scored

SkyBlue_Bear83

The problem was when we conceded the game plan just went out of the window, all the good things that we had been doing in the second half just stopped. It wasn't a lack of effort or desire, just desperation which affected there performance. Reminded me of the last 20 minutes v Crewe at the Ricoh in the JPT game.

stupot07

The problem was when we conceded the game plan just went out of the window, all the good things that we had been doing in the second half just stopped. It wasn't a lack of effort or desire, just desperation which affected there performance. Reminded me of the last 20 minutes v Crewe at the Ricoh in the JPT game.

I agree to an extent however, The problem is, we started the 2nd half so well we forget that we only really dominated for 15-20 mins. Our last shot at goal was on 66 mins, Orient scored on 78 minutes, we didn't have another shot in the remaining plus 4 minutes injury time. It's just not good enough. You throw the kitchen sink at the other team, regardless of the game plan our player lacked any urgency in those lack 16 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread