***Relegation Thread*** (1 Viewer)

PTA

When was the last time we comfortably avoided relegation and didn't need to sing the 'we are staying up' chant?

SlowerThanPlatt

@Coventry_City: Mowbray: "If we do survive, we won’t be celebrating. This is Coventry City, we’re not celebrating survival in League One" #pusb #skyblues

Otis

This is how the Beeb sums it up;

Colchester and Leyton Orient will join them if they fail to win their final games. Even if they do, they will go down if Crawley and Notts County win.

If Colchester and Orient both fail to win, a draw will keep Crawley up if Notts County lose to Gillingham.

But, if County win, Crawley will go down unless they beat Coventry, a result which would relegate the Sky Blues if Notts County and Crewe also win.

Monners

Having thought we would be ok (not lose on Saturday), I have now decided never to e optomistic again when it comes to Cov. I think we will lose on Sunday, Crewe will win so it all hinges on the Notts game. At least they are away also.

Otis

Having thought we would be ok (not lose on Saturday), I have now decided never to e optomistic again when it comes to Cov. I think we will lose on Sunday, Crewe will win so it all hinges on the Notts game. At least they are away also.

5 points clear with just 2 games to go and you're at home against a side below you, when you are only needing a draw and then you find out you may then go down on the last day, is just crazy beyond words.

chiefdave

I can see this being a repeat of Charlton away on the last day in 2008. We'll lose and be relying on others.

Otis

I can see this being a repeat of Charlton away on the last day in 2008. We'll lose and be relying on others.

Totally agree.

I am convinced we will lose. We don't have the bottle for a game like this and whether you rate Adam Barton or you don't, this is not a game for the faint hearted and the likes of him would just have lumps kicked out of them and be intimidated out of the game.

We need strong minds and strong bodies.

duffer

What I saw at the Ricoh was a team that was disorganised at the back, and didn't seem to have a clue how to score going forward. The goalie in particular was all over the place when put under pressure.

And I'm talking about Crewe here, btw, and we lost 1-3 to them!

Mowbray's got some serious work to do this week. I said it'd go to the end of season though... we've got to do stuff the hard way.

I still think we'll survive, but almost certainly because of other results rather than our own efforts.

Otis

What I saw at the Ricoh was a team that was disorganised at the back, and didn't seem to have a clue how to score going forward. The goalie in particular was all over the place when put under pressure.

And I'm talking about Crewe here, btw, and we lost 1-3 to them!

Mowbray's got some serious work to do this week. I said it'd go to the end of season though... we've got to do stuff the hard way.

I still think we'll survive, but almost certainly because of other results rather than our own efforts.

Crewe looked a very poor side. Just shows to what level we had to stoop to look so much worse than they did.

Otis

I see the Telegraph are saying 'City only have to avoid defeat against their fellow relegation contenders to be guarantee a place in League One for next season. However a loss would see them relying on other results to survive.'

That's not quite right, as I said on another thread. A draw will almost certainly see us survive, but is not guaranteed.

This is how it stands now;

Coventry 52 -12
Crewe 52 -31
Notts C 50 -16

Crawley 50 -25
Orient 48 -10
Colchester 48 -20
Yeovil 40 -35

Yeovil are down and Orient can't catch us. But, if Colchester win both their final 2 games they will finish on 54 points to our 53. That will be a point clear of us in the table if we draw.

If we draw we will have 53 points and Crawley will have 51.

However, if Crewe win and Notts County win by 4 goals (I know, improbable), the table would look like this;

Crewe 55
Colchester 54
Notts C 53 -12
------------------------
COVENTRY 53 -12
Crawley 51
Orient 48 (irrelevant)
Yeovil 40 (irrelevant)

Highly unlikely, but the CT are wrong in saying a draw guarantees us safety. If Colchester fail to win midweek then a draw would then be enough.

EDIT! Actually even that isn't quite right.

Notts County have scored 44, City 47. It would depend on whether our draw would be a high scoring one or not. a 1-1 for us and a 4 goal margin win for Notts County and it will be County 53 points, City 53 points, County goals for 48 and City goals for 48.

What would happen then I wonder?

Have I got too much time on my hands?

Last edited:

duffer

Notts County have scored 44, City 47. It would depend on whether our draw would be a high scoring one or not. a 1-1 for us and a 4 goal margin win for Notts County and it will be County 53 points, City 53 points, County goals for 48 and City goals for 48.

What would happen then I wonder?

Have I got too much time on my hands?

If we end up on the same points, goal difference, and goals scored, then it comes down to our records against each other. That's one draw and one defeat against County, and we'd go down.

And to answer your second question - yes. :)

torchomatic

Coventry still need a point at Crawley on the final day to be certain of staying in League One, but either way it’s likely they will immediately be looking for their tenth manager in as many years.
Temporary boss Tony Mowbray turned on his team after the 3-1 home defeat by Crewe, accusing some of his team of 'finding it difficult to play'.
The former Celtic and Middlesbrough boss has a contract only until the end of next Sunday’s game, and has already told friends he plans to be back at his home in the North East the next day.

chiefdave

The former Celtic and Middlesbrough boss has a contract only until the end of next Sunday’s game, and has already told friends he plans to be back at his home in the North East the next day.

Where else would he be expected to be the day after the season finishes?

Users who are viewing this thread