Red card (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

wingy

Anyway have the decency to link the footage and slowmo it

SeaSeeEffCee

it shows it hit him above the line that is called the t-shirt line which as per the current laws says it is not handball
I’ve watched the video multiple times and you can’t definitively say that it’s only hit him above the t-shirt line on any of the angles shown. You’re not going to get a decision like this overturned without clear-cut evidence to the contrary. Screenshots taken before he’s even made contact with the ball, like the ones people are throwing round on Twitter, aren’t enough. What’s the alternative anyway? That there is a grand refereeing conspiracy against Coventry City in an attempt to get us relegated? I’d rather trust a panel of experienced officials ahead of a bunch of partisan football fans who are desperate for on of their centre backs to not get a suspension ahead of a big game.

David O'Day

I’ve watched the video multiple times and you can’t definitively say that it’s only hit him above the t-shirt line on any of the angles shown. You’re not going to get a decision like this overturned without clear-cut evidence to the contrary. Screenshots taken before he’s even made contact with the ball, like the ones people are throwing round on Twitter, aren’t enough. What’s the alternative anyway? That there is a grand refereeing conspiracy against Coventry City in an attempt to get us relegated? I’d rather trust a panel of experienced officials ahead of a bunch of partisan football fans who are desperate for on of their centre backs to not get a suspension ahead of a big game.

If it it's somewhere else and deflects on to his arm from a short distance it's also as per the laws that are currently in place not a pen.

Also it's clear it hits his shoulder area

wingy

Well it's not really that special ,if we have Var now it's not that.mutch of a stretch to have a decent level of verification on ref decisions retrospectively ,oh hang on jeez IDK now

What are people's views of Var Lol.

mrtrench

Win some you lose some. Were you complaining after Notts County away?

I'm not complaining; I'm not even expressing an opinion on VAR and certainly not on whether it was a penalty or not. I'm just musing.

"You win some you lose some" is certainly a valid opinion. But I can also understand people thinking that's unacceptable when if you lose more than you win you might lose £millions. What if your bank randomly rounded your balance to an even £hundred every now and then? Is "you win some you lose some" fine in those circumstances? You'd probably be happy when they rounded up - but what if they rounded down 10 times in a row over the period of a month - and most of them immediately after your salary had been paid in. Still OK? And the amounts of money at risk in football are far greater.

wingy

I'm not complaining; I'm not even expressing an opinion on VAR and certainly not on whether it was a penalty or not. I'm just musing.

"You win some you lose some" is certainly a valid opinion. But I can also understand people thinking that's unacceptable when if you lose more than you win you might lose £millions. What if your bank randomly rounded your balance to an even £hundred every now and then? Is "you win some you lose some" fine in those circumstances? You'd probably be happy when they rounded up - but what if they rounded down 10 times in a row over the period of a month - and most of them immediately after your salary had been paid in. Still OK? And the amounts of money at risk in football are far greater.
I bet the Wolves fans and management foster this opinion .
I'd concur having witnessed a fair number of their games which indeed didn't balance out with the round up theory.🤔

hill83

Aha! I always suspected that you were part of the conspiracy.

12581ff67c95af7a24c71601bcc878ba61697006.gifv

SBS

Fair enough, think I got the wrong impression of your original post.

For me VAR was / is never going to work, there’s so many disagreements amongst pundits even after minutes of slow motion replays. Rules now being changed to try and suit it but it won’t solve anything. Would love to see City in the PL but would hate dealing with that crap every week.

pusbccfc

We've had absolutely no luck all season with these decisions. Surely we'll get something at some point?

mrtrench

I'm not great with the rules but morally it looks like handball to me. He moves his arm up towards the ball and steps away. Had he stepped into the ball and it hit the same place without raising his arm (and he appears to have time to do so), it would have been a great and legal block.

Happy_Martian

Would anyone else like to see Kelly dropped back as the sweeper/central CB in McFadz' absence? He can read the game well, tackles well and is the leader on and off the pitch. Think he'd bring the games of Hyam, Osti and Rose up a notch and also reduce his exposure to manic running about the pitch trying to cover everyone elses job and therefore reduce the risk of injury.

Otis

Would anyone else like to see Kelly dropped back as the sweeper/central CB in McFadz' absence? He can read the game well, tackles well and is the leader on and off the pitch. Think he'd bring the games of Hyam, Osti and Rose up a notch and also reduce his exposure to manic running about the pitch trying to cover everyone elses job and therefore reduce the risk of injury.
Too small and do we even know if he is any good in the air?

Briles

Now you can be wrong together

If you've got facebook have a look at this angle. Pretty conclusive. He moves his hand towards the ball and stops it. Everyone commenting in here im guessing has only seen the front angle. So I'll let you off. But you're wrong

David O'Day

I'm not great with the rules but morally it looks like handball to me. He moves his arm up towards the ball and steps away. Had he stepped into the ball and it hit the same place without raising his arm (and he appears to have time to do so), it would have been a great and legal block.

That's not the laws though. It can't be handball if it doesn't hit a part of the body that counts as a handball. Intent does not matter, if you got to handball it but don't it is not a handball.

Frostie

If you've got facebook have a look at this angle. Pretty conclusive. He moves his hand towards the ball and stops it. Everyone commenting in here im guessing has only seen the front angle. So I'll let you off. But you're wrong

Link doesn't work.

I've posted the view from behind earlier in the thread which shows it hitting his upper arm. You're literally contradicting yourself, earlier in the thread you said it hit his armpit which, by current definition, is NOT handball.

wingy

That's not the laws though. It can't be handball if it doesn't hit a part of the body that counts as a handball. Intent does not matter, if you got to handball it but don't it is not a handball.
Ah but he moved unaturally ,then he moved his arm ,yeah to try and avoid the ball hitting it,ah but then he turned his upper body cheeky bugger trying to shield it away rather than into the net .

steve cooper

Yup, I don't believe it was handball, but the appeal board are never going to overturn that are they. Like you say, not clear and obvious.
They won't normally overturn a referee's decision unless it is something like mistaken identity. Especially when a penalty is involved and/or the result is affected.
Out of interest does anyone know why Rotherham's Smith sending off was overturned?
If the sending off had cost Rotherham points the decision to overturn it would have been much more difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread