Recommend a beer (3 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

It's crazy how much things have improved....when I moved overseas just a few years ago, I would have lost my mind to see Brewdog and Goose Island in a supermarket. Now that's considered nothing special!

Yeah, Brewdog Punk IPA is like the Carling of the craft world these days

SBT

Things have definitely evolved, it’s only the last couple of years places have started to stock craft stuff. It’s not spread to the smaller corner shop/Nisa’s etc yet though. At least not near me. Same with pubs, more and more offer real ales, and occasionally even a craft. They tend to be standard ones, but still good to see.

Where overseas are you? Good selection?

Was in the US, where the craft selection is off the charts in some places. Even in your most rundown/random cornershop you'd have a huge fridge with at least a couple of local brews (along with the usual Bud Light/Coors Light nonsense). Any big supermarket would have a massive range of craft beers, the scene has just exploded.

Now I'm back here, as @fernandopartridge says, it's hilarious to see Brewdog become this commercial juggernaut, it's everywhere!

wingy

Not quite an ale but.
I have in stock 50+;cans of it .
Just received four bottle's of Valle de colchagua Chilean carmere
A bottle of JD and finally a Bailey's

Great_Expectations

Don’t have anything too exciting for tonight or tomorrow unfortunately. The in laws will buy some ale for me, but it’ll be one of those ‘Classic Ale’ type boxes with nothing too exciting, it’s a nice thought though. And of course I’ll drink it, it’ll be rude not to...

I had to nip to a variety of supermarkets today to get some veg that hadn’t arrived and ended up at Aldi; I went for the IPA which caused a mini feud with BrewDog as they claimed it’s a rip off Punk IPA.

I do have a Mint Choc Chip stout for Boxing Day though!

fernandopartridge

I've got a half dozen bottles, mix of Peak Ales, Bollington Brewery and Redwillow (Redwillow madre the 'tilting ale' they sell or sold on Virgin Pendolino trains). Mostly dark beers. Feel like I should have bought something a bit lighter though.

Great_Expectations

Got a keg of Framework Brewery Semper, a New England Pale Ale and one of North Riding Brewery, Mint Choc Chip Stout for today.

Familar with both breweries, North Riding did a caramel type stout (can’t remember exact details) which was brilliant, so high hopes for this flavoured stout is as good!

Great_Expectations

Was instructed to pick something up for dinner on the way home so nipped into the first supermarket I saw; Lidl.

As always I checked out the alcohol section and was pleasantly surprised by the craft beers. I picked up two I’d never heard of:

Steam Brew - Session IPA
Lock Lomond - Bravehop

The first is a German IPA so as well as the usual IPA hoppyness there’s also a German Bavarian lager taste - nice enough. The second is 6%, and while it’s nothing special it’s easily drinkable and doesn’t taste like 6% - dangerous!

Sbarcher

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the relaunch of Watneys Party 7!
Who can forget drinking the stale remains the morning after a party. You had to pierce the can each side with one of those pointed openers. Those were the days.

Grendel

Who can forget drinking the stale remains the morning after a party. You had to pierce the can each side with one of those pointed openers. Those were the days.

I was a Davenports sort of guy

clint van damme

Remember having a pre town sesh in one of them my mate found in his garage (this was late 80s so it must have been a few years old) along with some poteen he'd smuggled back from Ireland.
Don't know why I'm worrying about covid, if I survived that

Reactions: vow

fernandopartridge

Was instructed to pick something up for dinner on the way home so nipped into the first supermarket I saw; Lidl.

As always I checked out the alcohol section and was pleasantly surprised by the craft beers. I picked up two I’d never heard of:

Steam Brew - Session IPA
Lock Lomond - Bravehop

The first is a German IPA so as well as the usual IPA hoppyness there’s also a German Bavarian lager taste - nice enough. The second is 6%, and while it’s nothing special it’s easily drinkable and doesn’t taste like 6% - dangerous!
The loch lomond craft beer they get in is really top notch, great value for money. My nearest Lidl is 5 miles away but they're opening one here next month, it's better than Aldi for ale.

Sbarcher

I was a Davenports sort of guy
My ex father in law had his “Davenports Beer at Home” delivered every Friday. 7 Pint bottles of IPA and 7 Stingos.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I noticed Dhillions have a sale anyone recommend their lagers ? 5 litre ghost towns £14:99

Sky_Blue_Daz

Discovered a case of bud in the garage that id forgot about from Christmas, also just tried a lovely Pinot Grigio called The Ned £10 a bottle from Sainsbury’s lovely drop

Covkid1968#

Been drinking Skinny beer today.....their premium range is pretty good. Arrived in a load of unnecessary packaging but if you love beer but not the calories, then give it a try.

Reactions: vow

AOM

I just can't wait for a proper Guinness when the pubs are open again.
The draught cans are keeping me ticking over for now, but they're pretty crap in comparison

Users who are viewing this thread