Ratings v Luton (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

The recruitment in January will have to be spectacular better than the summer, one of our biggest problems is that none of our new permenant signings have really improved our team this year. You may argue Brown has done ok but too often he turns two of their players brilliantly and then just passes straight to the opposition anyhow so for me jury still out.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
If there is any recruitment have a feeling we will have to move people on first.

Old Warwickshire lad

I guess I should simply row in behind like a fish then as forum boards are exceptionally interesting when everyone has the same viewpoint. ...
Not everyone thinks Brown had a good game,ok he was good on the ball and had some good touches going forward.
But his defending was shocking, never seems to be in a position to stop his man crossing. Grimmer was the same.

Skybluefaz

That is because he looks up and finds no movement in front of him. Hiwula immediately gravitates to the middle so there is no one to pass to down the line. He is often always marking 2 players as well. The movement of the team in general was appalling but down the left side was obvious.
This is how I saw it yesterday. Junior Brown would get the ball near the half way line and Hiwula immediately went inside but no one moved. So there was no ball down the line and more often than not he had to go back to the CB.

stupot07

That is because he looks up and finds no movement in front of him. Hiwula immediately gravitates to the middle so there is no one to pass to down the line. He is often always marking 2 players as well. The movement of the team in general was appalling but down the left side was obvious.
This is how I saw it yesterday. Junior Brown would get the ball near the half way line and Hiwula immediately went inside but no one moved. So there was no ball down the line and more often than not he had to go back to the CB.
Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Skybluefaz

I also have to give Luton credit. I thought their number 6 was the best CB I've seen at the ricoh this season. Defensively they were solid. Defended really well as a team. Going forward they all looked comfortable. Probably better than Portsmouth.

pusbccfc

Well that's the thing on that first point. Hiwula was very, very poor and JCH not that much better, but Bakayoko is now out for 8 weeks.

You can't play Chaplin up front on his own, so either Hiwula or JCH have to play don't they?

Robins has been clear that we have to start JCH as he is the only one who offers an physicality.
We're forced to play JCH, unfortunately.

rob9872

Or we change the system. I keep hearing we're a footballing side so why not two smaller men up top? Tbh Jono seems to be a few inches smaller when he jumps than when he stands still! Rarely wins a duel against a big CB.

I'd bring Sterling back in and now Kelly has match fitness I'd get him and Doyle reunited in the middle rather than rotate. In fact we could do a lot worse than go to last seasons midfield with Shipley on the left and Bayliss on the right. Maybe push Thomas up front with Chaplin.

Otis

I thought he was dreadful - he must have given the opposition the ball more than he found one of our players
I sort of agree, but some of that was down to miscommunication with teammates and at times, as much their fault as his.

I recall him putting one ball straight into touch.

Shipley's passing on the whole was awful. The difference I saw with some of Bayliss' passing was that he was passing the ball in for teammates and they weren't bad balls, but the players simply didn't run into that space.

He wasn't great at all though, still. Some very good runs, but little end product.

If you watch the game back you will see what I mean. Many of the Bayliss bad balls were down to miscommunication rather than being bad passes (i.e. such as Shipley 's pass in the second half that went out of play at least 20 yards away from any City player).

sylus

Why the hell did Robin's set us up to play so negative yesterday, ok, i can understand Luton playing well and having a good season and all,but ffs they came up with us,from the start it was evident they were going to dictate the game and they did,the score could of been worse.Playing ONE up front at home against a side who got promoted with us,questions really need asking of Robin's,what was he playing at,take the game to them,not sit back and hope for the best

Otis

Why the hell did Robin's set us up to play so negative yesterday, ok, i can understand Luton playing well and having a good season and all,but ffs they came up with us,from the start it was evident they were going to dictate the game and they did,the score could of been worse.Playing ONE up front at home against a side who got promoted with us,questions really need asking of Robin's,what was he playing at,take the game to them,not sit back and hope for the best
I said to my mate yesterday, it was like Luton were the home side and we were playing away.

Adge

Didn't realise there were 2 ratings threads so its in this one for those who are bothered by it-IE the forum police!

Burge 5 Vintage Burge rolling back the years-awful kicking and all over the place.
Grimmer 6 Ok and at least looked interested. Some good progress down the right.
Willis 5 Uncomfortable afternoon for him and his defensive partner. Looks like a bit of a lay-off after the late tackle on him.
Davis 5 Slightly better than Willis but showed his Achilles heal with a couple of slips which let them in on goal.
Brown 7 Decent game from him I thought and unbelievably didn’t get our man of the match as he was our best player.
Kelly 6 Started off well but went deeper and deeper and in the end might as well have been a third central defender. At least looked like he was bothered and interested.
Bayliss 5 Couple of forays forward/lost the ball in dangerous areas/got substituted and then got Man of the match! How?
Shipley 4 Forgot he was on the pitch and then noticed him when he tried to take a quick free kick and it went out for a throw.In reality he is trying to punch above his weight.
Thomas 6 Was our only threat going forward but not as effective than of late. Got the penalty with a good run.
JCH 5 Only gets 5 because he scored the Penalty. Should have done better with s close range header but keeper saved it. Isolated on his own but sometimes you have to keep going and make things happen. Didn’t see him doing that.
Hiwula 4 Abysmal. Was it over the line or not? Didn’t deserve a goal anyway.

Hyam 5 Not long on but didn’t do anything wrong.
Chaplin 4 Couldn’t fathom out what he was doing/where he was playing. No impact on the game anyway.
Allisani 6 Done more in 15 mins than most others didnt do in the 90. Deserves a start next week.

Teeing off on the 18th with Telf!

johnwillomagic

I think we are paying the price for playing fans favourite Bayliss in the centre every bloody game - he should have been benched or moved out wide
some time ago in a as MIke Basset would say 4-4-***n 2 formation!

What is wrong with Bakayoko - how long is he out for Sterling being out not good?

Assuming now that we have Bakayoko out for 8 weeks then I think we should call Ponti back to boost
striking options assuming we cannot get anyone in via loan or transfer for a bit.

For Shrewsbury Assuming no Sterling or Baka though options are limited I would shake it up in this way.

Burge GK (just had a poor last couple but has been good overall to just keep his shirt)
Willis RB Not ideal but think better option than Grimmer sadly.
Hyam CB Never lets us down normally when he does play.
Davies CB Owes us a good performance still our best centre half in my opinion.
Brown LB I think he has been steady and will want to play well against Shrewsbury
Thomas RM Our only attacking threat think currently he has to be first name on team sheet.
Allesani LM A rsik but think with how it's going worth taking a shot with pace on both wings
Doyle CM Get the old war-horse back!!!
Kelly CM Good to have him nack him and Doyle best paartnership we have currently when in a bad patch
JCH ST Just due to lack of options owes a big performance
Hiwula ST Just think carries more of a goal threat just than Chaplin - hook him at HT if not delivering.

Subs: LOB, Grimmer, Thompson, Ogogo, Bayliss, Shipley, Chaplin

Otis

Hiwula deserves to be dropped next week.

I justification to play him at all I would say.

Very, very disappointing from him yesterday and it was like playing with 10 men at times.

Otis

Allassani looked bright yesterday, surely that straight swap needs to be tried
I am.worried about his size though. The bloke is tiny.

In fact, have you ever noticed when the two sides stand in the line up side by side, how much smaller we are than most other teams?

Pete in Portugal

Burge 6 - distribution was patchy, otherwise OK
Grimmer 4 - repeatedly beaten - I fear he's just not up to the standard required at this level
Willis 6 - not his best game but used his pace and strength well to recover situations
Davies 5 - generally solid but made one very bad error, so docked a point
Brown 5 - positioning is often suspect
Kelly 5 - Struggled. I think he found it hard without another defensive midfielder alongside him
Thomas 6 - was closely marked by a quick left back, so not as effective and not as big a threat as normal
Bayliss 4 - had a poor game by his standards
Shipley 4 - needs to tackle more and pass to our players - worked very hard, especially in the first half
Hiwula 2 - very poor and at times appeared to be half-hearted in his application. Ideally needs to be moved on
Clarke-Harris 3 - was poor and easily dominated by their defenders

Hyam 6 - did OK without standing out
Chaplin 5 - struggled, mainly because of lack of service to him
Allassani 7 - looked lively and up for it. Our only attacker, (apart from Thomas), to pose a anything like a threat. Should start next week

Last edited:

steve82

I sort of agree, but some of that was down to miscommunication with teammates and at times, as much their fault as his.

I recall him putting one ball straight into touch.

Shipley's passing on the whole was awful. The difference I saw with some of Bayliss' passing was that he was passing the ball in for teammates and they weren't bad balls, but the players simply didn't run into that space.

He wasn't great at all though, still. Some very good runs, but little end product.

If you watch the game back you will see what I mean. Many of the Bayliss bad balls were down to miscommunication rather than being bad passes (i.e. such as Shipley 's pass in the second half that went out of play at least 20 yards away from any City player).

Otis this is the very thing with Bayliss that makes his performances go under the radar. We all like him as he’s a talent with a future in the game but his performance yesterday was no better than Shipley yet we try and reason with what he did or didn’t do right as he’s the blue eyed boy in the middle who will go on a mazy run occasionally. His application in games is going down hill fast.

Fact is he’s been below par too often but we’ve little to rest him as I believe he’s played too much football in the last 12 months.

He needs a rest and as a result is not up to L1 standards weekly yet and yesterday probably opened eyes to this fact to many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warwickhunt

Burge 4 - not sure how he’s getting 6s was at fault got first goal and distribution was absolutely shocking
Grimmer 6 - solid enough
Willis 6 - likewise, injury worrying
Davies 5.5 - was okay, got away with a bad mistake which lead to a one v one they put wide
Mason 6.5 - thought he was best of the back four, tenacious and got forward well
Thomas 7 - always our biggest threat. Worrying he leaves in January
Bayliss - 4.5 love him but he had a shocker
Shipley - 4 really poor again
Hiwula 4 - unlucky with the ‘goal’ but otherwise poor
JCH 3 - dreadful today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who the fuck is Mason?

Warwickhunt

Burge 6 - distribution was patchy, otherwise OK
Grimmer 4 - repeatedly beaten - I fear he's just not up to the standard required at this level
Willis 6 - not his best game but used his pace and strength well to recover situations
Davies 5 - generally solid but made one very bad error, so docked a point
Brown 5 - positioning is often suspect
Kelly 5 - Struggled. I think he found it hard without another defensive midfielder alongside him
Thomas 6 - was closely marked by a quick left back, so not as effective and not as big a threat as normal
Bayliss 4 - had a poor game by his standards
Shipley 4 - needs to tackle more and pass to our players - worked very hard, especially in the first half
Hiwula 2 - very poor and at times appeared to be half-hearted in his application. Ideally needs to be moved on
Clarke-Harris 3 - was poor and easily dominated by their defenders

Hyam 6 - did OK without standing out
Chaplin 5 - struggled, mainly because of lack of service to him
Allassani 7 - looked lively and up for it. Our only attacker, (apart from Thomas), to pose a anything like a threat. Should start next week
Don't agree with Grimmer he was quite solid today and don't remember him being beaten

Warwickhunt

Otis this is the very thing with Bayliss that makes his performances go under the radar. We all like him as he’s a talent with a future in the game but his performance yesterday was no better than Shipley yet we try and reason with what he did or didn’t do right as he’s the blue eyed boy in the middle who will go on a mazy run occasionally. His application in games is going down hill fast.

Fact is he’s been below par too often but we’ve little to rest him as I believe he’s played too much football in the last 12 months.

He needs a rest and as a result is not up to L1 standards weekly yet and yesterday probably opened eyes to this fact to many.

Bayliss is playing like a player who knows he is going in January IMHO

Skybluefaz

I am.worried about his size though. The bloke is tiny.

In fact, have you ever noticed when the two sides stand in the line up side by side, how much smaller we are than most other teams?
With the position he plays though it doesn't bother me how tall he is or isn't. We need to get the ball to his feet though. He can't be much shorter than Luke Thomas. Maybe we do need a big bastard in the middle though in January. Kelly and Doyle are not particularly tall.

steve82

Yesterday is a typical game where many dig out the usual suspects and highlight them as issues, many many issues yesterday but application and desire was the biggest part missing and others not turning up above any other fault.

It was a classic cold wet windy night at stoke analogy, or Fleetwood at our level which incidentally we fell short at too.

steve82

With the position he plays though it doesn't bother me how tall he is or isn't. We need to get the ball to his feet though. He can't be much shorter than Luke Thomas. Maybe we do need a big bastard in the middle though in January. Kelly and Doyle are not particularly tall.

Had a classic Sunday league manager narrating the game behind me yesterday, to quote him he suggested Thomas needed to put on 4 stone.
Now if he did that he’d be a different player entirely with no pace

ps1948

If Thomas does go back to Derby in January, would it help Bayliss if he were to go back out to the right side/wing, as per last season?

Otis

Have to disagree there though, because some of Shipley 's passing was simply atrocious.Clearly miss-hit passes.

Bayliss did one too in the first half. It went straight out of play nowhere near anyone.

Some of his passes though yesterday you could see he was trying to play one twos and there was clear miscommunication. He would pass the ball and the player did not make the run, or they would make the run and he would hit the ball to where they were.

That is a clear lack of understanding. All players involved are therefore to blame, Bayliss included.

That's a bit different from Shipley's inability to pass to a teammate on a number of occasions. Quite often his passing is just poor through lack of ability.

Last edited:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Have to disagree there though, because some of Shipley 's passing was simply atrocious.Clearly miss-hit passes.

Bayliss did one too in the first half. It went straight out of play nowhere near anyone.

Some of his passes though yesterday you could see he was trying to play one twos and there was clear miscommunication. He would pass the ball and the player did not make the run, or they would make the run and he would hit the ball to where they were.

That is a clear lack of understanding. All players involved are therefore to blame, Bayliss included.

That's a bit different from Shipley's inability to pass to a teammate on a number of occasions. Quite often his passing is just poor through lack of ability.

I would completely agree with this. I didn’t think Bayliss was good yesterday but many of his mistakes was through playing a pass the other player hadn’t read or anticipated, bar one god awful one on the far side that went out for a throw in. Shipley’s were for the most part due to being a bit shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibbo

8.30 and no ratings thread shows how poor we were again despite difficult conditions, but I'll start one for no reason other than to let you tell me I'm wrong :) :

Burge 6 Positioning arguably not great on 1 goal but not culpable and not loads to do
Grimmer 5 not good enough on the ball today and often made the wrong call
Brown 4 so frustrating. People keep telling me he's good but I can't see it. Managers decision to get up the wing I understand but he's always out of position and a complete liability.
Willis 6 looked ok without being outstanding
Davies 6 as above
Kelly 6 worked hard but not good enough in possession
Bayliss 5 how sponsors gave him motm I'll never know!
Shipley 5 tracked back and covered well bit offered very little with ball
Thomas 6 usual great effort but no end product and poor decision making
Hiwula 3 never a footballer
JCH 3 would've been a 2 but a point for the penalty

Subs

Hyam 6 did nothing wrong
Allassani 6 looked lively in a dead game
Chaplin 3 I'm worried about our striking options and didn't do enough

Robins 1 poor set up, wrong selections, wrong formation, wrong tactics, wrong subs and needs to sort things quickly.

Worrying times!
Brown was my man of the match best of a poor bunch. Extremely neat feet, plays ball to man, crosses with either foot, very quick to recover, good at holding the offside line.
Positioning can go awry and a bit short, but I thought he played well particularly with Hiwula who should not have been subbed

Users who are viewing this thread