Match Thread Preston North End FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 4th Nov (3 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

2800 is a very disappointing following imo.

This is the first chance we've had to take a serious number of fans to an away match since Blackburn over 2 years ago. There's a lot of Cov fans desperate to claim we have massive away support and sell out everywhere but we have even sold half an end. The likes of Leicester, Sunderland, Wednesday etc will sell the end out.

Good opportunity for people moaning to get points too...
It was never going to sell 5k, 3k is pretty good given our poor start and abysmal record there

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

It was never going to sell 5k, 3k is pretty good given our poor start and abysmal record there

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Just a real shame. We are limited by small allocations everywhere and the moment we have a big one, we fail to fill half of it.

skybluecam

Just a real shame. We are limited by small allocations everywhere and the moment we have a big one, we fail to fill half of it.
It is.

Did you go to Preston is going to be my first question to anyone who complains about points this season.

“Oh no, would’ve done but it was my aunt’s hamsters birthday so couldn’t make it”

Paxman II

We have to shake off the blues. I think O'Hare will start. Godden and Simms up top. Lots of intent. Allen chasing down everyone, Sheaf holding. Eccles alongside. Sako on the bench. milan, kitching, Thomas, Bidwell, Wilson.

Otis

We have to shake off the blues. I think O'Hare will start. Godden and Simms up top. Lots of intent. Allen chasing down everyone, Sheaf holding. Eccles alongside. Sako on the bench. milan, kitching, Thomas, Bidwell, Wilson.
Not sure O'Hare is ready to start yet. Still seems a bit rusty.

Personally, I would go with the same team. I think we have been chopping and changing a bit too much at times.

Ian1779

Playing the box does my head in. It's a literal admission that the recruitment hasn't worked. Play more midfielders that can't score or create (and we didn't even sign any other than one loan who looks out of place), and keep the strikers we've spent a fortune on stuck sitting on the bench. It's a complete waste.

Also the whole bashing of Eccles whilst simultaneously playing up Sheaf is ridiculous. I'm not sure if it is my eyes but I'm sure someone said to play the latter further forward too. Kelly has also made us look much better when he has played, yet he's constantly kicked into the ground as well.

A few losses and I swear we start losing our minds.
I thought Eccles played OK on Monday - far better than Sheaf did…. But both his corner and free kick taking were crap on the night.

napolimp

When did we bring in Sako? Thought he'd retired at the end of last season.

napolimp

I thought Eccles played OK on Monday - far better than Sheaf did…. But both his corner and free kick taking were crap on the night.

TBH, at this point they may as well approach it like Volleyball service. Let everyone have a go on rotation.

ptr

Not sure O'Hare is ready to start yet. Still seems a bit rusty.

Personally, I would go with the same team. I think we have been chopping and changing a bit too much at times.

Same team but Lati in for Thomas.

O’hare needs another cameo. Hopefully ready to start against Stoke.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

My most local game of the season (only 60 miles away) and I couldn’t be dreading it more. Really hoping our new signings we have paid big money for can turn the corner but I just can’t see it.

We’re being let down horrifically by our attackers, they don’t look like they’ve played professional football before, nevermind at this level.

I can’t even suggest what formation or tactical changes we can make. Other than Lati - all of our signings look shit. They haven’t complemented the existing squad at all. We’re still reliant on COH/Palmer coming back to have any creativity in the final third.

BlueSkiesForever

I agree with Otis, we should start the same team (maybe just swap Fadz for Kitching). I think the box worked well against West Brom, we were undone by a shitty goalkeeping error and an offside goal. We just need to accept that we’re not a possession based side, we need to be counter attacking more and leaving space in behind to move into.

Just from memory it seems that when we attack we tend to compress their defence into their 3rd and it means there’s no space for players to run into or through balls to be attempted. We never seem to do well against sides that defend backs to the wall and this season it’s like we create that scenario for ourselves against almost every opposition we play. It’s literally like we’re our own worst enemy at times.

Matt smith

My most local game of the season (only 60 miles away) and I couldn’t be dreading it more. Really hoping our new signings we have paid big money for can turn the corner but I just can’t see it.

We’re being let down horrifically by our attackers, they don’t look like they’ve played professional football before, nevermind at this level.

I can’t even suggest what formation or tactical changes we can make. Other than Lati - all of our signings look shit. They haven’t complemented the existing squad at all. We’re still reliant on COH/Palmer coming back to have any creativity in the final third.
You say this but we’re conceding silly silly goals constantly

Chris1987

It is.

Did you go to Preston is going to be my first question to anyone who complains about points this season.

“Oh no, would’ve done but it was my aunt’s hamsters birthday so couldn’t make it”
As a non season ticket holder who wants to see games I'm surprised that more haven't bought a ticket. I know a few that moan about the system which is completely fair who aren't going.

Sick Boy

Playing the box does my head in. It's a literal admission that the recruitment hasn't worked. Play more midfielders that can't score or create (and we didn't even sign any other than one loan who looks out of place), and keep the strikers we've spent a fortune on stuck sitting on the bench. It's a complete waste.

Also the whole bashing of Eccles whilst simultaneously playing up Sheaf is ridiculous. I'm not sure if it is my eyes but I'm sure someone said to play the latter further forward too. Kelly has also made us look much better when he has played, yet he's constantly kicked into the ground as well.

A few losses and I swear we start losing our minds.
The problem with Kelly is that he’s almost never fit enough to play, I understand why he was signed but we really should have let him ho and replaced him, especially as he is almost never available to play. Not replacing Hamer is what is costing us, along with spending so much on Wright.

shmmeee

The problem with Kelly is that he’s almost never fit enough to play, I understand why he was signed but we really should have let him ho and replaced him, especially as he is almost never available to play. Not replacing Hamer is what is costing us, along with spending so much on Wright.

Why is spending so much on Wright costing us? By all accounts we ran out of time and targets not money.

SBT

Robins quote from the Friday press conference:

“The start of it is taking the chances to shoot more often, because that for me is as frustrating as any other part of things.

"We've got players that can score goals, they just need to find that half a yard to pull the trigger and have a go. As they say, if you don't buy a ticket, you can't win a raffle."

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

SBT

Guess that makes him a caveman for not favouring the modern trend of trying to pass it in the goal from 3 yards
I think there’s a happy medium to be found between shots we should be taking (Sakamoto deciding to dribble rather than hit it first time when a rebound falls to him inside the area) and those we shouldn’t (thousands of people hollering SHOOOOT at Eccles when the ball is dropping from a great height onto his wrong foot about 30 yards out)

Brighton Sky Blue

I think there’s a happy medium to be found between shots we should be taking (Sakamoto deciding to dribble rather than hit it first time when a rebound falls to him inside the area) and those we shouldn’t (thousands of people hollering SHOOOOT at Eccles when the ball is dropping from a great height onto his wrong foot about 30 yards out)
I always assumed the latter were satirical

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Guess that makes him a caveman for not favouring the modern trend of trying to pass it in the goal from 3 yards

Problem is he wants to play five defenders and four midfielders, which isn't only very negative, but all of which are goal-shy. The strikers are our best bet, even though they are stuttering, but now it seems he wants to play just one.

If he wants to score goals he needs to look at his tactics. Also who he is signing. Gyökeres and Hamer were doing a hell of the leg work when the others weren't contributing, and now we are seeing the consequences of their loss.

skybluecam

I think there are very obvious times, with Wright particularly, where players have received the ball in areas you want them to drive at goal, find a yard and get a shot off but they don't.

It's all mental really. Once Vik had that self confidence he was always positive with the ball, facing defenders up and driving at goal.

Brighton Sky Blue

Problem is he wants to play five defenders and four midfielders, which isn't only very negative, but all of which are goal-shy. The strikers are our best bet, even though they are stuttering, but now it seems he wants to play just one.

If he wants to score goals he needs to look at his tactics. Also who he is signing. Gyökeres and Hamer were doing a hell of the leg work when the others weren't contributing, and now we are seeing the consequences of their loss.
Feel the same watching England a lot of the time.

fatso

Played a massive part in getting us to the play off final, I don't recall anyone complaining about him when we beat Middlesbrough at their place.

He appeared in nearly a quarter of the games last season, and I don't remember us losing many.

And he's appeared in more than half our games so far this season. Not bad for an old boy who's only still here for cover.

shmmeee

Played a massive part in getting us to the play off final, I don't recall anyone complaining about him when we beat Middlesbrough at their place.

He appeared in nearly a quarter of the games last season, and I don't remember us losing many.

And he's appeared in more than half our games so far this season.

Not half as big a part as Hamer did.

Kelly is a lovely lad but a very limited footballer. And we’ve already got Fadz we’re carrying for his “know how”. He never should have got a new deal TBH, and giving him one may well have stopped us actually getting a decent CM in before Gus left.

Sick Boy

And he's appeared in more than half our games so far this season. Not bad for an old boy who's only still here for cover.
The club captain playing in nearly a quarter of games a season says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread