Match Thread Preston North End FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 4th Nov (3 Viewers)

Grendel

The dasilva headed clearance genuinley angered me .. pathetic

It was ridiculous- he could have put it out for a corner

He’s in robins favourites club but will be interesting what he does on Saturday selection wise

BlueSkiesForever

We played a lot better than in the previous 3 games. Our attack had the ability to properly put teams under the cosh for good chunks of the game. It felt like we played decent football for the first time yesterday but the goals we conceded were atrocious. I genuinely do feel like we get unlucky with ref decisions almost every game, one of the softest penalties I’ve ever seen.

We need to settle on a back line and stick with it. If we continue with 5 at the back then the back 3 should be Lati, Kitching and Binks, no disrespect to the guy but it just feels like McFadz is off it atm and probably will be his last season playing football if he continues in this vein of form.

Robins making halftime changes was brilliant, yes we didn’t win but for once he made positives changes early enough in the game so it could have an impact, rather than in the 87 minute or whatever. I realise the results don’t say it but I genuinely think Robins is beginning to understand this team now, the last few games has been a wake up call for him and the team and I think we’re slowly starting to get there. We’ve never beaten Preston away for whatever reason so it’s no surprise that the hoodoo continued, I was however impressed with our performance (bar the shit goal) in the second half.

Finally, I’ve said it every single week and I understand that many are sick to death of it but we need to go to 4 at the back. It’s just obvious now. We’re not good at defending but when we put pressure on teams they find it hard to break out of their own half, that extra man in midfield or on the wing changed the game in the second half. That shit headed goal we conceded whilst playing 4 at the back was clearly a lack of understanding and experience, that sort of thing comes with playing a new system over and over again. Yes there will be mistakes and things that need ironing out but we saw the attacking intent that playing 4 at the back brings. We had multiple chances and they just had a solid defence, more work on that and how we adapt to playing with wingers I believe will improve us no end.

I’ve noticed a lot more people on here saying “play 4-3-3” etc and I’m just hoping the same idea is going through the heads of Robins and Adi atm. Yes our defence is weak but that needs working on, you don’t win multiple games of football by putting 7 men in defence, we have to accept we may concede goals but also be threatening to the opposition, not just be predictable to play against. I’m genuinely hopeful going forward, a bit more tempo, more accuracy in the our passing, a bit more vision, create more clear cut chances, I think we’ll be okay provided we don’t lose our bottle and start playing defence-ball again.

Last edited:

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

I think he bought Bidwell on instead Didnt he?

I think he’d have rather played Moore at left back than put Bidwell on - there’s clearly a parting happening in January but he was forced to see reason in the end
He was close to being shipped out to Birmingham in January, but why? It’s not like we have a ton of left backs at the club. Maybe Bidwell has upset Robins by telling him a few home truths.

skyblue_55

Milan came in & was asked “ what number do you want “…. 27 fine it’s yours !
A massive two fingers up to an established player in Bidwell .
How our manager keeps the superb team spirit , within the squad !!

Sky Blue Harry H

Most of your posts seem very anti-MR?

fernandopartridge

More an individual error than anything to do with the formation tbh but you could apply that to a lot of the goals we've conceded.

For what it's worth I thought we looked less passive with the back four.
Yes, to be fair we moved the ball much quicker through not having the tripartite exchange every time before the ball goes forward. Eccles helped as well being able to receive the ball, Allen just didn't do that first half.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Yes, to be fair we moved the ball much quicker through not having the tripartite exchange every time before the ball goes forward. Eccles helped as well being able to receive the ball, Allen just didn't do that first half.

It’s not just that, its the number of attacking options players had ahead of them meant it was much easier to pick a forward pass.

Just need to find a back four in our ten million quid of spending and IMO sign a proper keeper in Jan.

SlowerThanPlatt

Bidwell was #24 at Swansea and Brentford, he couldn’t have that number when he joined as Godden already had it.

Unless the number has some special meaning to him, professional footballers shouldn’t be getting upset.

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s not just that, its the number of attacking options players had ahead of them meant it was much easier to pick a forward pass.

Just need to find a back four in our ten million quid of spending and IMO sign a proper keeper in Jan.
Will have to offload two keepers in that case

shmmeee

Or maybe Bidwell, who has never had a particular number, felt the lad with “27” tattooed on him probably wanted it more.

Reactions: SBT

Skyblue_CP

Think it’s glaringly obvious we need a change of system going forward. We looked far superior with Simms and Wright together in a 3. Maybe we could play Simms down the middle with Wright to his left and Tatsu to his right? Was very impressed with Simms when he came on. Looked powerful and quick. Both look far more suited to our fast counter attacking style rather than this dropping in with a slow laboured build up.

Flying Fokker

Naylor, Chesterfield. Simple header into the net, great ball into the goal area and Naylor there to head in from 7 yards…Now why don’t we do this?

shmmeee

Naylor, Chesterfield. Simple header into the net, great ball into the goal area and Naylor there to head in from 7 yards…Now why don’t we do this?

Well firstly we have no one who can deliver a final ball and secondly we have no one who attacks the ball in the box and thirdly we’ve managed to sign two six foot three players who can’t head it.

Milne Out

It was clear the ref was sticking to the rules after his demotion.
I didnt know the "intent" decision on the penalty was actually a rule ?
as from behind the goal i thought he'd booked their forward for diving !
......but that decision, and also his awarding for a foul throw ( something i cant remember being given since i played schoolboy football) showed he must have been up late revising and swallowing the completed referee's bible

Sky Blue Harry H

Haven't given Portsmouth (almost certain to be in The Championship next season) a kick. Portsmouth looked awful - football is a funny old game.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Having tried to reflect rather than the despair and anger last night, a few things I think.
1. we do have a better squad of players from the sales, but great players win games and hamer/gjok were great players. The squad will get better but maybe not the level of the two we sold.
2. Kitching for their 3rd is woefully wrong, he looks at the striker, moves to him and then as the ball comes over, he takes two steps forward - why……. and for the Wilson haters, it’s less than 1.5 seconds from the ball leaving his boot to him heading it.
3. Fadz out of position for the goal, previously had others who cover and in the last few years, fadz has a game like this and still is better than the others the majority of the time, i certainly dont think they score the 3rd with him on
4. midfield is light and not in sync/gelling etc right now, too similar in style and positioning

i think the binks and thomas should be in the back 3 if he is to persist with that and maybd Fadz or Lat and give them 5 games for confidence and consistency and i would stick with wilson for that period

slowpoke

Kitching should have done better for the Preston third goal but I thought overall he had a decent game. Looks to me he could play centre-half in a back four or in the McFadz role in a back three.
Can’t understand the Binks situation he must either have a bit of an injury or upset the manager.

Nuskyblue

Yep, I liked Eccles when he came on. He moved the ball with a zip and purpose.

baldy

So you’re saying Milan came into the dressing room wearing 27,Bidwell took one look at him & stood up angrily & said ‘Fuck THIS’ & stormed out instantly?

SBbucks

I didn’t blame him for it, just stating that the only way he’ll leave is if someone can put up his wages or we pay him off.

Understood. He really doesn’t have a lot of options (other than putting feelers out) until the window opens in January, when presumably he will try to find a club but will still have the safety net of 6 months left on his contract if it doesn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warwickhunt

It was ridiculous- he could have put it out for a corner

He’s in robins favourites club but will be interesting what he does on Saturday selection wise
Bidwell looked good when he came on and defence felt a bit tighter

Users who are viewing this thread