Match Thread Preston North End FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 4th Nov (2 Viewers)

Sick Boy

I haven't seen almost anyone seriously suggesting he should go, but given the money thst has been spent, it is completely fair to ask some questions as to why we are doing so badly.

It is easy to point fingers at the recruitment team, but there's some good players in there. We aren't getting the best out of them at the moment and that sits with the manager.

Anyway...

Robins OUT
Slade IN
The same recruitment team that would have been assembled by Robins…

procdoc

It is an issue.

From the team sheet in the last game, honestly tell me who on there is capable of scoring a goal? Creating chances means nothing if you cannot score them. With the midfield we have, playing five defenders and one striker is counter productive.
Wright missed chances he should have scored no matter what the formation is

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He has a point. It got more right than wrong which is more than can be said for the decision to blow £8 million on Wright.

He would argue with his own shadow, so it's largely pointless to get into a debate with someone like that. It never goes anywhere. The last recruitment definitely did some great signings, but were also wasteful with the small budget we had. They just look better in this light because the pitch forks and torches are out for our expensive signings which haven't hit the ground yet.

I still think people are writing off Wright and some of the other players too early. They other night he did miss a few chances but actually looked fairly decent. We've seen sparks from Lati, Simms, MvE, and Sakamoto too. It is frustrating but I have some faith those players may start producing.

It isn't working at the moment all round however, and my concern is how that is going to change, which really needs to come from the management. I'm not getting that vibe right now of how they are going about that, but let's see.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Wright missed chances he should have scored no matter what the formation is

You're qualifying my point.

Who else on the pitch is capable of scoring? No one. Which is why again we didn't score. If you play just one striker and they are off, it is going to be Coventry City nil.

We don't have the midfielders capable of contributing regularly.

BlueSkiesForever

Like I said in my last post, playing the box is a straight up admission that the recruitment hasn't worked. Look at the squad we have and honestly think who in there is capable of scoring a goal. Other than the strikers there is no one. Play one and if they have an off day you are looking at a Coventry City nil scoreline.

Yeah I agree about the recruitment being poor in places, but I don’t think that just because we play less strikers it means we score less goals. I don’t just think it’s our midfield that aren’t contributing atm, no one in our team is really contributing goals so I’m not sure if going with 2 up top matters that much.
I’d still rather see 4 at the back and play either 1 or 2 strikers but can’t see that happening any time soon.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Yeah I agree about the recruitment being poor in places, but I don’t think that just because we play less strikers it means we score less goals. I don’t just think it’s our midfield that aren’t contributing atm, no one in our team is really contributing goals so I’m not sure if going with 2 up top matters that much.
I’d still rather see 4 at the back and play either 1 or 2 strikers but can’t see that ever happening any time soon.

I'm really looking forward to Eccles, Sheaf, and Ayari all to score today following this conversation!

procdoc

You're qualifying my point.

Who else on the pitch is capable of scoring? No one. Which is why again we didn't score. If you play just one striker and they are off, it is going to be Coventry City nil.

We don't have the midfielders capable of contributing regularly.
But at least some of those midfielders will still need to play no matter what the formation is. The formation is not the issue in my opinion. It would be much harder to change formation now, the players have to get used to a whole new system for a start. He’s signed players to play the formation we have now so it’s a moot point anyway

BlueSkiesForever

I'm really looking forward to Eccles, Sheaf, and Ayari all to score today following this conversation!
I don’t think you quite got what I meant, I agree with you completely about those 3 players mentioned, I can’t see any of them scoring tbh but my point is that I can’t see any of our strikers doing well either. I don’t think our strikers are way superior compared to our midfield, I think currently all our players are playing to a sub-par standard, maybe apart from Sakamoto I’d say.

I think the thing we need is a load more clear chances to be created, not vast numbers of strikers to score them.

procdoc

I don’t think you quite got what I meant, I agree with you completely about those 3 players mentioned, I can’t see any of them scoring tbh but my point is that I can’t see any of our strikers doing well either. I don’t think our strikers are way superior compared to our midfield, I think currently all our players are playing to a sub-par standard, maybe apart from Sakamoto I’d say.

I think the thing we need is a load more clear chances to be created, not vast numbers of strikers to score them.
Sakamoto is skillful but he’s not really contributing any end product. All fart and no poo

fernandopartridge

Sakamoto is skillful but he’s not really contributing any end product. All fart and no poo
To be fair to him though he's opening the game up for us, especially at Bristol he took the ball back to goal and laid it off into space for another player a few times. We've got to try and stick with it imo, the same criticism was made of O'Hare but it's not just the more overt stuff which is important.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SkyBlueSoul

According to Sky Sports News Coventry City are on 1,999 league wins. Will be the 7th team to make 2,000 when we next win

procdoc

To be fair to him though he's opening the game up for us, especially at Bristol he took the ball back to goal and laid it off into space for another player a few times. We've got to try and stick with it imo, the same criticism was made of O'Hare but it's not just the more overt stuff which is important.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I completely agree, he should have at least a couple of assists by now

Users who are viewing this thread