Press conference (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Our form qith these 3 was short lived, due to injury granted, however I think teams would work out how to stop that just as they have worked out how to stop

Murphy-- Maddison--Cole
------Armstrong------

The problem has come in not changing the formation and personnel enough, when was the last time you were genuinely shocked by a team selection? Well thats how the opposing managers must feel, they will have their scouts at our previous 2/3 games and will set up a team to do a job accordingly

They must be rubbing their hands together when theyve seen a blueprint to stopping us in the previous games they have scouted and we havent changed our setup at all for the next match.

You sure? We change personnel a lot it's the system that doesn't change. Keeping a settled team has some benefits though, especially if you've got quality players.

Nick

Administrator
I think it is definitely the system that needs to be changed, even when he brought Fortune on the system was pretty much the same just with different players until the last 2 or 3 minutes when everybody went up front.

covcity4life

sounds like mowbray also misses kent

makes me wonder why he didnt go for pace in window though? no money i iamgine, would have needed a loan and we have too many already

maybe if cargil goes back we can still bring in a x factor pacy loan?

CCFC88

You sure? We change personnel a lot it's the system that doesn't change. Keeping a settled team has some benefits though, especially if you've got quality players.

I did say formation and personnel. Teams come to the Ricoh and know exactly what they are going to face and how to stop it. Wigan Crewe Southend Gillingham all came to the Ricoh, defended high and we picked off the space in behind with through balls to Arma and down the wings, teams got clever to that and started defending deeply, suddenly those spaces disappeared and we didnt know what to do, we had no plan B.

You cannot win a division like this playing the same system every week, especially one as lightweight as ours, you get found out.

I believe that after the games against Walsall, Burton and Southend, bells should have been ringing to say "People are working out how to stop us" and we should have gone 442 for the next 2 or 3 games.

Otis

sounds like mowbray also misses kent

makes me wonder why he didnt go for pace in window though? no money i iamgine, would have needed a loan and we have too many already

maybe if cargil goes back we can still bring in a x factor pacy loan?
Yes! Very good call. Now Martin is back could we end Cargill's loan and go for a wide right player instead?

Think if we had Murphy on the left and a speedy tricky guy on the right we would suddenly get a lot more joy.

Otis

But as has already been said, his wife had just had a baby and he wasn't even in the squad on the Saturday before the Barnsley game.

I think we need to allow him that one to be honest and not put too much emphasis on that.

Whatever we do we need to do something differently to before.

CCFC88

We tried it second half at Barnsley, it didn't work at all.

You cant judge a system on 30 mins in Barnsley, Id like to see how the big man little man combination works at the Ricoh on a nice big pitch, Hendo flicking on to Arma playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

Otis

You cant judge a system on 30 mins in Barnsley, Id like to see how the big man little man combination works at the Ricoh on a nice big pitch, Hendo flicking on to Arma playing on the shoulder of the last defender.
I really think that could work and Armstrong would get loads of opportunities. He is bloody quick, you have to remember that and flick ons and knock downs could be like bread and butter to him.

CCFC88

I really think that could work and Armstrong would get loads of opportunities. He is bloody quick, you have to remember that and flick ons and knock downs could be like bread and butter to him.

Im sure Newcastle would appreciate him trying to score goals in a different system aswell and Im sure he'd relish the opportunity to add another string to his bow.

skybluegod

I'd much prefer their mindset to be that they want to hammer every team, rather than nick a win. If in their mind they need to be lucky to win a game then it isn't the best.

It is like boxers, they have to think they are going to go into the ring and knock the other bloke out. If they are going in worrying they might get knocked out themselves it will make a difference.

It's nothing like boxers, two completely different sports and mind-sets required.

No team in the world goes into every fixture thinking they are going to hammer another team, especially not any team which is on the run we are on. We are away from home, in a poor run of form, I think everybody with a brain can work out that we are going to need to nick a result rather than, think we are going to smash somebody. Especailly not a team that has already kept a clean sheet against us this season, furthermore, I think Stokes realises teams aren't gonna set up to attack us, so we aren't going to smash teams anymore. (bury the exception who were shocking)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Ha ha ha. You're all over the place. JHB has provided a strong argument against what you have said, please limit your next essay to a maximum of 100 words though.

The only person who is all over the place is you, and I'm guessing that's down to the insecurities you have.

Someone else had made a good counter argument and you're trying to ride on the back of it, presumably because you have none of your own.

You can talk all you want about how I should limit the characters of my posts, but you might as well not write anything at all if they're going to be as meaningless as that.

fernandopartridge

The only person who is all over the place is you, and I'm guessing that's down to the insecurities you have.

Someone else had made a good counter argument and you're trying to ride on the back of it, presumably because you have none of your own.

You can talk all you want about how I should limit the characters of my posts, but you might as well not write anything at all if they're going to be as meaningless as that.

At least you didn't breach the word count.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

But you're building a house of sand and fog to suggest that those three games were the default for the rest of the season (they include a pretty sketchy home win against Crewe by the way) and that the introduction of our second top scorer and (iirc) our top assist maker ruined the balance of the team.

They're not, but these games were some of the strongest we've had all season.

Crewe might have been sketchy, but in that match we showed battle, fight, and passion. Three attributes we have been badly missing in the last 16 odd games. We came back late on to score the winner and never gave up.

The difference between that attacking three, and the attacking three we had become more used to seeing is that they wanted to win for the team. The passing was flawless, players made movements knowing that the ball would try to find them. We cut defences apart using intelligence.

As the seasons gone on, this has just faded. Our second top scorer has done will in a handful of games, but has been ineffective (and in my opinion disinterested) in an alarming majority.

Earlier in the season Mowbray said he preached the passing game, so why has he been using players that can't or won't pass?

rupert_bear

Mowbray will not change the way he plays it cost him his job at West Brom, Celtic and Middlesbrough. I fear it will do the same here

AFCCOVENTRY

This Mogga being sacked thing is a little unfair. Things aren't working right now but he managed to get us so far. After the 2 games this week if we are back in the mix that means the hunt for promotion is still on.

If not then I fear that will be the end of the team this year and pointless getting a new manager in as 3/4 of the squad will vanish at the end of the season.

Currently there is no team Mogga or any new manager can build on!

That's the scary thing.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yeah agree with that, Rochdale did control the game largely. We only really had 3 decent chances - Cole chance, and the 2 offsides. Armstrong did have his thunderbolt but that was a very good hit from 25 yards rather than a decent created chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Rochdale didn't have many chances either, 2 set pieces and we gifted them a penalty was all. Maddison also had a decent opportunity first half, a few balls flashed across the box where our lack of men in the box cost us. Murphy had a decent chance second half but shot straight at the keeper when he should have done better.
We didn't play well but Rochdale weren't really in control either, wouldn't say Rochdale deserved there win, whereas the previous week I thought Fleetwood deserved the 3 points. A draw would have been fair, on the balance of the game we probably just edged it

skyblue1991

At least you didn't breach the word count.

Here's just one word you should be able to digest:

Virgin.

giphy.gif

Nick

Administrator
Rochdale didn't have many chances either, 2 set pieces and we gifted them a penalty was all. Maddison also had a decent opportunity first half, a few balls flashed across the box where our lack of men in the box cost us. Murphy had a decent chance second half but shot straight at the keeper when he should have done better.
We didn't play well but Rochdale weren't really in control either, wouldn't say Rochdale deserved there win, whereas the previous week I thought Fleetwood deserved the 3 points. A draw would have been fair, on the balance of the game we probably just edged it

Their player saved an amazing chance!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'd much prefer their mindset to be that they want to hammer every team, rather than nick a win. If in their mind they need to be lucky to win a game then it isn't the best.

It is like boxers, they have to think they are going to go into the ring and knock the other bloke out. If they are going in worrying they might get knocked out themselves it will make a difference.
If we go all gung ho from the beginning we will be picked off on the counter, confidence isn't a tap you can turn on it has to be built back up gradually.

I'd prefer a solid professional, solid performance over another flash in the pan. Stay compact at the back, keep our discipline and shape. When we have the ball, move the ball through the areas of the pitch quickly and counter with purpose. Every time we have the ball the objective should be to score a goal and not just to keep the ball, its a balance between getting the ball forward quickly to give us a better opportunity of creating chances but doing in it a way that doesn't give the ball away cheaply

Last edited:

Covstu

Regardless of people's opinions on Kent, he clearly brought some energy to the team which is sadly lacking now. Very little positives from the last three games in my opinion and we seem to stand off teams now which isn't playing to our key player strengths

Otis

Yep. I was very critical of Kent, because he seemingly didn't contribute anything, but now I have come round to the thinking that his running directly at players, at pace, did indeed create spaces for others around him and caused a bit of panic in defences.

wingy

Well on CWR six o'clock show they played a short segment of different chances.
Three to be precise, all supplied through balls from Lameiras.
Was that just a lucky fluke.

Otis

Well on CWR six o'clock show they played a short segment of different chances.
Three to be precise, all supplied through balls from Lameiras.
Was that just a lucky fluke.
?

Who's that aimed at, Wingy? :)

wingy

?

Who's that aimed at, Wingy? :)
No one in particular Otis.
Just my opinion that he is actually effective in creating chances.
I also don't buy he's particularly lightweight as he tracks back and puts his foot in to break up play.
I think he's worthy of starting regularly and on the left where he started the season.
I know it's not necessarily you're or others opinion but it is mine and I was surprised from that little segment that the danger created was his work.
Think the lad Is far too easily dismissed as a player.

Otis

Yeah, maybe. I just think we are far too lightweight when we have Maddison and Murphy and Lameiras in the side. I think we can only really play one at a time in any line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread