Match Thread Portsmouth vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 20th Aug (1 Viewer)

ps1948

Has anyone got any idea of how far away from starting Allen is - apart from Robins?
I don't listen to CWR, but would have thought that might be a question he could be asked.

ps1948

Just finally seen the Dabo sending off (thanks ifollow) - seeing as though the ref played advantage a lot during the game he did us a massive favour stopping the play there, looked like a great chance for them to kill the game. Also thought we were lucky to not give away a pen in the first half.

Genuinely can't see how people are saying Kastaneer's second booking was harsh. To make that tackle when already on a yellow was stupid. And Dabo's second yellow was his second or third foul after his first yellow so I think that, coupled with that it stopped a great chance for them, means we can't complain.

Other than that, great spirit. Took me back to this (is that a young Andy Thorn looking mightily pissed off at our equaliser?)

Edit: This video also reminds me that Paul Williams and Richard Shaw were bloody awful.

Loved the video. Think you're a bit harsh on Paul Williams, as he did the instinctive thing to clear the ball off the line, and wasn't at fault with the defending leading up to that. Correct about Shaw though. And then there's Dion......

Adge

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rose move over to fullback, he can play there giving Hyam, our best defender imo chance to come in, should Jobello be injured MR has a few options Baka, Biamou, Allen if fit. Kasteneer was only sub last night anyway. Can’t see him dropping Westbrooke after another decent game.
I don’t get the fuss about Westbrooke at all, one of them ten a penny midfield players who can’t tackle, doesn’t score many and creates little. A poor mans Sammy Clingan.

kg82

I don’t get the fuss about Westbrooke at all, one of them ten a penny midfield players who can’t tackle, doesn’t score many and creates little. A poor mans Sammy Clingan.

Ooo, he said decent game! Totally fussing over him! Considering injuries and suspensions, he won’t get dropped.

cc84cov

Has anyone got any idea of how far away from starting Allen is - apart from Robins?
I don't listen to CWR, but would have thought that might be a question he could be asked.
He can’t be far off now westbrooke needs a rest I feel.

Irish Sky Blue

After games like that I really enjoy reading threads like this. I particularly enjoy reading the posts where it has all gone wrong on the pitch, the same old posters are in uproar, with hindsight, I know that it all came good in the end and I know those same posters all got egg on their faces. It is the same old crew just waiting to have a go at Robins and at last having a chance to do so. “Why doesn’t he change the formation to this?” or “Why has he moved Westbrook to full back?”
I get that it is frustrating watching a team you love lose, what I don’t get is the over reaction and the wave of negativity.
I remember reading the match thread following last season’s away defeat at Scunthorpe. Robins was slated for bringing on McCallum as a last 5 min substitute for, I think, Mason. He was asked the reasons for the like for like swap and explained about McCallum’s long throw. That cut no ice with the experts on here who continued to give him dogs abuse.
Last night McCallum was again brought on as a sub and we all saw how useful his long throw was in a backs to the wall situation. Interesting to note that the player with the assist, nodding the ball on into the path of Rose, was I think Bakayo. He was described by some posters this week as garbage and utter shite. On the whole, I would say that apart from odd glimpses of potential, his performances have been disappointing. However, no one deserves to be described in that way and to be totally written off. Good job that Robins made so many astute decisions last night, thinking under pressure, to get us a point from a seemingly hopeless situation.

AlansEyes

Loved the video. Think you're a bit harsh on Paul Williams, as he did the instinctive thing to clear the ball off the line, and wasn't at fault with the defending leading up to that. Correct about Shaw though. And then there's Dion......
To be fair, I agree with you about the sending off, that comment was more based on my general memories of William's (apart from that 35 yard screamer of a clearance that he made into the tio corner against Newcastle)!

eastwoodsdustman

I was telling my mate about this game on the way back from the ground last night!

SIR ERNIE

The other thing that struck me last night, especially during the last few minutes after we equalised, is that there's something very special about our club, a special kind of resilience that seems to see us survive against whatever the odds. You can go back to all those relegation fights that we won to remain in the top flight for 34 years; right up to all the troubles of the last few years, financial, ground share etc etc. For me last night seemed to confirm it all.

A special club.

kg82

Foot well over the line.

Not well over the line. An inch or 2 over the line. And someone posted last night as long as part of that foot is behind the line and his other foot is behind the line, the throw-in is legal. Rules been changed, apparently.

fatso

Not well over the line. An inch or 2 over the line. And someone posted last night as long as part of that foot is behind the line and his other foot is behind the line, the throw-in is legal. Rules been changed, apparently.
Well fuck me, the F.A. never informed me!!!

SBAndy

He wasn’t really late, just smaller. The guy made a meal of it and then their players rushed in as if he’d gone in with a leg breaker! Joke of a yellow. Weak ref.

Definite yellow, but I take your point on the Pompey players harassing the ref.

Users who are viewing this thread